Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Eldoop posted:

ATAMIFUJI! My boy beat an Ozeki!

Gonna have to do it again tomorrow, highlight bout at the end of the day is Atamifuji vs Kirishima probably for the Yusho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I really hope that when Hakuoho is back in the top division he lives up to the hype. Maybe it's just because I've only been following sumo for a little over a year, but it seems like the last few months have seen a real sea change on the banzuke. There's a new crop of really good young wrestlers that are fighting their way up the ranks and it seems like Lil' Hak v Atamifuji is a rivalry in the making.

It is wild to me that Atamifuji is in the cup race this late in the basho again. If he puts in a solid performance (even just a KK) in January when he hits the top Maegashira ranks it'll solidify him as the real deal. I think he and Gonoyama are the only ones of this new crop who've managed to be anything like consistent. Hokuseiho and Kinbozan have both been ping ponging around the ranks.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Tracker is now updated to Day 13

Kenning - compared your Day 11 to mine and everyone that had Hokutofuji has a half-point more on your tracker vs mine - almost certainly due to not having Hokutofuji's MK deduction applied yet.

The only other discrepancy is for Ben Nerevarine who is 33.5 on your list vs 33 on mine. Clearly you've taken off 0.5 for one of Roga or Takarafuji's MK but I think you are missing the other (I'm guessing Roga's who is a traded-away MK).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Come on Hokuseiho you fucker

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Banana Canada posted:

Tracker is now updated to Day 13

Kenning - compared your Day 11 to mine and everyone that had Hokutofuji has a half-point more on your tracker vs mine - almost certainly due to not having Hokutofuji's MK deduction applied yet.

The only other discrepancy is for Ben Nerevarine who is 33.5 on your list vs 33 on mine. Clearly you've taken off 0.5 for one of Roga or Takarafuji's MK but I think you are missing the other (I'm guessing Roga's who is a traded-away MK).

Yeah, the double-MKs are fiddly, but I think we should be mostly squared away with all of that so far.

Day 13 standings

Makuuchi
code:
47	Iron Chef Nex
46.5	MalarkeyToboggan
45.5	Saturnine Aberrance
45	anakha
45	Communist Thoughts
44.5	Khizan
44	Teddybear
43	Xerzes
42	Banana Canada
42	pseudodragon
41.5	Vargatron
41	Ice Phisherman
40.5	bartolimu
40.5	Netsky
40	Pakled
40	Tiny Bug Child
39	Thauros
38.5	whats for dinner
37.5	Akiosan
37.5	Brut
37.5	Fluffdaddy
37	Everyones Favorite Poster
36.5	NuclearPotato
36.5	Robviously
35.5	Average Lettuce
35.5	Marching Powder
34	GoatSeeGuy
33	Helianthus Annuus
33	Kenning
32.5	Jobbo_Fett
31.5	Charles Gnarwin
31	Mode 7
30.5	Lid
30.5	MyChemicalImbalance
29.5	Crusty Nutsack
27.5	captainblastum
27.5	Kuros
27.5	Nativity In Black
Juryo
code:
47	NTRabbit
45	bessantj
44	Dead Goon
43.5	Kennedy
42	Ben Nerevarine
41	Fearless
41	Winter Stormer
40.5	Liquid Communism
40.5	ullerrm
40	Samuel L. Hacksaw
39.5	Log082
39.5	Takuan
38.5	Beexoffel
38.5	rare Magic card l00k
38	Chinook
38	Kerrzhe
38	Taffy Torpedo
37.5	Boogalo
37	QuasiQuack
37	Rags to Liches
36	PJ
35.5	Bentai
35.5	KungFu Grip
35	Eldoop
35	Gaghskull
35	Octatonic
35	oldskool
34	FART BOSS
34	ImplicitAssembler
33.5	Biosys
31.5	Medenmath
27	Single Tight Female

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Really have concerns about Hoshoryu's behavior on the dohyo, insincere and weak post loss bow.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Apraxin posted:

my go-to for ‘how hard is it to make Ozeki’ is always the time Wakanosato was S, K, or M1 in literally every basho for nearly 5 years straight, but no 33 in 45 win streak so no promotion for him

I'm hoping this doesn't become the fate of Kotonowaka. This is his 10th straight tourney in the top 16 and his lone losing record is a COVID 7-4-4 that doesn't really count.

But he's also only had the one double digit tourney. He might get another here, but he's still capped at 11. He could be in the class of guy who's floor is 7-8 but can't score the big 13/14 cornerstone of a run.

Nativity In Black posted:

I really hope that when Hakuoho is back in the top division he lives up to the hype. Maybe it's just because I've only been following sumo for a little over a year, but it seems like the last few months have seen a real sea change on the banzuke. There's a new crop of really good young wrestlers that are fighting their way up the ranks and it seems like Lil' Hak v Atamifuji is a rivalry in the making.

Hokuseiho hasn't impressed me much. Once he's up against guys that are good enough to not be overwhelmed by his size, he doesn't have the skills yet to compensate.

I'd also add Onosato to the next gen rivalry if he looks good in his debut next time and he hasn't shown any signs of not living up to his uberprospect status.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Tracker is now updated to Day 14

All points and names are matched on Day 13 between you and me Kenning!

For Day 14, I've added in 3 points to those who hold the winner of the Atamifuji vs Kirishima match since the victor is guaranteed at least a Jun-Yusho placing. This is reflected the Adjusted column on the daily tracker and the list is sorted by this points total. I've not made this adjustment on the detailed tracker so there will be this difference if you are checking your detailed scoring.

I'm sorting as well by tie-breakers though the important 1st tiebreaker of Yusho will only be known on the final day.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

Hokuseiho hasn't impressed me much. Once he's up against guys that are good enough to not be overwhelmed by his size, he doesn't have the skills yet to compensate.

I'd also add Onosato to the next gen rivalry if he looks good in his debut next time and he hasn't shown any signs of not living up to his uberprospect status.

Yeah, Hokuseiho seems to be a one trick pony. It got him all the way to the top division, but if he doesn't diversify he definitely has a ceiling.

Kinbozan is a more straightforward wrestler, but seems to be struggling to stay in the top half of the banzuke.

Gonoyama had his first crack at a full tournament with the top guys and seems to have fared decently all considered.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

all three of my lower ranked guys are 7-7.....

what sucks is that i had seriously considered ichiyamamoto and atamifuji

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

"Who the gently caress is Steven Tallarico or you?"

Surely this is the same guy who was wearing a Joe Perry shirt the other day?

Edit: Kirishima vs Takakeisho tomorrow, and it seems the hamster isn't up to his normal caliber. Looks like Kirishima yusho?

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 25, 2023

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nativity In Black posted:

Edit: Kirishima vs Takakeisho tomorrow, and it seems the hamster isn't up to his normal caliber. Looks like Kirishima yusho?

This seems likely, but I'm cheering hard for an Atamifuji redemption arc.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I did not like Kirishima's extra little push at the end.

I did like Tobizaru winning by the technique of headbutt to the dick.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

watching shenshuraku live forgot it started early

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ura manifesting some insane telekinesis to spin a tree around and bounce it out of the ring, jesus christ.

Shodai.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Congrats to Kirishima.

I'll admit, I wasn't expecting a Kirizuna rope run this early - would have bet on it happening sometime next year. Wouldn't be surprised if Teru comes back in January as the final boss for this rope run.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shiroc posted:

I did not like Kirishima's extra little push at the end.

Yeah it was pretty noticeable. Big Dan energy to that shove

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I will forgive Kirishima getting a bit energetic, he's contending the cup.

Lots of 7-7 rikishi for the final day, quite exciting for fantasy.

Banana Canada posted:

Tracker is now updated to Day 14

All points and names are matched on Day 13 between you and me Kenning!

For Day 14, I've added in 3 points to those who hold the winner of the Atamifuji vs Kirishima match since the victor is guaranteed at least a Jun-Yusho placing. This is reflected the Adjusted column on the daily tracker and the list is sorted by this points total. I've not made this adjustment on the detailed tracker so there will be this difference if you are checking your detailed scoring.

I'm sorting as well by tie-breakers though the important 1st tiebreaker of Yusho will only be known on the final day.

Remember that the jun-yusho points aren't awarded if more than 2 rikishi share the jun-yusho score. If on day 15 Ichiyamamoto and Kotonowaka win, and Atamifuji loses, there would be no jun-yusho bonus awarded. In terms of odds, however, I expect Atamifuji to get the points.

Day 14 standings

Makuuchi
code:
50.5	MalarkeyToboggan
50	Communist Thoughts
48.5	Iron Chef Nex
48.5	Saturnine Aberrance
47	anakha
46.5	Khizan
46	Teddybear
46	Xerzes
44	Banana Canada
44	Pakled
44	pseudodragon
43.5	Vargatron
43	Ice Phisherman
43	Tiny Bug Child
42.5	Akiosan
42.5	bartolimu
42	Everyones Favorite Poster
42	Thauros
41.5	Netsky
41.5	NuclearPotato
40.5	whats for dinner
39.5	Brut
39.5	Marching Powder
39.5	Robviously
39	Fluffdaddy
38.5	Average Lettuce
38	Helianthus Annuus
37	Kenning
36.5	Jobbo_Fett
36	GoatSeeGuy
35.5	Charles Gnarwin
34	Mode 7
32.5	Crusty Nutsack
32.5	MyChemicalImbalance
31.5	Lid
29.5	Kuros
29.5	Nativity In Black
28	captainblastum
Juryo
code:
50	NTRabbit
47.5	Kennedy
47	bessantj
46	Dead Goon
45	Fearless
45	Winter Stormer
44	Ben Nerevarine
43.5	ullerrm
42.5	Liquid Communism
42.5	rare Magic card l00k
42.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
42	Chinook
41.5	Log082
41	Kerrzhe
41	Rags to Liches
40.5	Beexoffel
40.5	Takuan
40	Boogalo
40	QuasiQuack
39.5	Bentai
39.5	Taffy Torpedo
38.5	Biosys
38	Eldoop
38	Gaghskull
38	PJ
37.5	KungFu Grip
37	FART BOSS
37	ImplicitAssembler
37	oldskool
36.5	Octatonic
33.5	Medenmath
30.5	Single Tight Female

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Kenning posted:

Remember that the jun-yusho points aren't awarded if more than 2 rikishi share the jun-yusho score. If on day 15 Ichiyamamoto and Kotonowaka win, and Atamifuji loses, there would be no jun-yusho bonus awarded. In terms of odds, however, I expect Atamifuji to get the points.

Right, but with Kirishima up 1 win, he will either:
- secure the Yusho with a win or an Atamifuji Day 15 loss or
- be the sole Jun-Yusho in a playoff loss to Atamifuji

Hence, Kirishima has secured at least 3 points after Day 14's results. Hard to programme such a scenario into the tracker so I added this manually into the summary tracker.

And having said that, here are the final (unofficial until Kenning's post) results!

Sorry for the long post but since this is the final day, I figured I might as well do a final posting to show off the final tracker and results.

I can't guarantee that I can do this tracking and daily update every basho due to my travel schedule but I will try to post it when I'm able and if people here feel there's value in it. I definitely won't be able to start this tracker for the Jan 2024 basho until a few days into it when I get back home. Let me know if you folks have any feedback on how to improve on it. I'm thinking next time, you could choose your own Shikona (user name abbreviation, if you don't like the one I gave you!) and Mawashi colour (background and font colour).

edit: made it a bit more mobile friendly to view

Day 15 - Final Update:

code:
Day 15 - Final Results
(unofficial until Kenning's post)

Makuuchi

65.5	MalarkeyToboggan
62	Iron Chef Nex
60.5	Saturnine Aberrance
59	Tiny Bug Child
57.5	Khizan
56.5	Vargatron
56.5	Communist Thoughts
56.5	anakha
55.5	Xerzes
50.5	Banana Canada
50.5	Pakled
50.5	Teddybear
49.5	pseudodragon
49	Everyones Favorite Poster
49	Akiosan
48.5	whats for dinner
48	Thauros
47.5	NuclearPotato
47	Jobbo_Fett
47	Ice Phisherman
46	Marching Powder
45.5	bartolimu
45	Robviously
45	Fluffdaddy
43.5	Brut
41	Kenning
41	Netsky
40.5	Crusty Nutsack
40.5	Average Lettuce
39.5	Helianthus Annuus
38.5	Mode 7
38	Charles Gnarwin
37.5	GoatSeeGuy
34.5	Lid
34.5	MyChemicalImbalance
32.5	Kuros
31	Nativity In Black
30	captainblastum

Juryo

64.5	NTRabbit
58.5	Fearless
57	Kennedy
56.5	bessantj
53.5	Winter Stormer
53	Rags to Liches
53	Ben Nerevarine
52.5	Chinook
52	Kerrzhe
51.5	Taffy Torpedo
51.5	Dead Goon
50.5	ullerrm
48.5	Log082
48	rare Magic card l00k
47.5	Beexoffel
47	ImplicitAssembler
46.5	Gaghskull
46	QuasiQuack
46	Bentai
46	Liquid Communism
46	Takuan
44.5	Octatonic
44	FART BOSS
44	oldskool
43	Biosys
43	Samuel L. Hacksaw
42	Boogalo
41	Eldoop
39	KungFu Grip
39	PJ
34.5	Medenmath
34	Single Tight Female

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 27, 2023

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I appreciate your work Banana Canada! The colours are nice to follow our progress.

Really bad Basho for me, and I got -3 points with my trade. Oho really looked like he was out of it when I traded him. My faith in Meisei was also not fruitful.

It was fun either way :)

Takakeisho looked really weak this basho, he got some wins on the back of his experience. With some more maturity, Hoshoryu could have given a fight to Kirishima, maybe next basho.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Ura manifesting some insane telekinesis to spin a tree around and bounce it out of the ring, jesus christ.

Shodai.

Oh my God even Ura looked like he was in disbelief. Very happy for him getting a KK, and potentially a first sanyaku tournament? With Abi getting an MK they should swap.

Edit: Oh, both komusubi got an MK. Ura getting to sanyaku should be a sure thing.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 26, 2023

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Hell of a comeback for my stable! Thanks Kenning for running it and thanks Banana Canada for the tracking.

SHODAI

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Oof, another bad day and I've dropped some more.

Still, a very good basho for me, and I am happy with my brand of sumo.

Thanks Banana Canada (such a great name to type anananananananana) and Kenning!

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
I was still holding out hope for my large adult son but alas.... well deserved by Kirishima though! I think this is the basho where I've really felt him and Hoshoryu as Ozeki, they're both just looking so dominant.

Also lmao that Ura win, beautiful stuff! I've got no ill will toward Hokuseiho beyond not liking his sumo but that's enough to make it very fun to watch other rikishi make him look silly.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

I was sort of hoping the Ura could simply lift Hokuseiho's raised leg and force him to cartwheel out and thus invent a new kimarite. But I suspect Ura may have had the presence of mind to make a split second decision to not do that and put a vulnerable opponent at further injury risk.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am pretty proud of my score! i am glad that i stuck with my style of sumo and i will focus on my style of sumo even more for the next basho.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

To my surprise, I have mostly made wise choices in rikishi. If my only failing is a love of the tallest sumotori, I wear this failing with pride.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thank you to Kenning and Banana Canada for the work they have put in to running this-- it really helps a person get a better sense of what is going on as they are getting started watching Sumo to have a handful of rikishi to focus on, and later on it's just plain fun.

I was really, really impressed with Kotonowaka this basho. He seems to be coming into his own and I hope we get to see him as an ozeki soon. I was impressed with him last basho as well, and I think the most recent results are suggesting more and more that he has yet to reach the ceiling of his impressive skills. I think I have had Kirishima in just about every draft I've participated in and he is consistently good and only getting better. I strongly believe that he and Hoshoryu will make phenomenal yokozuna in the future, and the talent coming up in Atamifuji, Onosato and Hakuoho even more exciting. I get the sense that Hokuseiho might have been fighting injured; his style felt even more... wooden... than usual and it was disappointing to see him go MK though if he had to lose a deciding match I am very glad it was to Ura who always turns in spectacular matches even though he does not always win them. Plus, I think there is a good chance that Ura earns promotion to komusubi for January, but it's not like Ura's never spent an entire week being fed to the upper sanyaku before.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Not having Natto's videos on youtube made it a real struggle to keep up with the tournament this time; mostly had to rely on tachiai's daily recap. I'd love to be able to watch live but the timing hardly ever works out for me :smith: Disappointed that Roga had such a rough first trip but hopefully it's the same first round nerves a lot of them seem to get. Thanks heaps for running the fantasy basho, kenning and thanks Banana Canada for putting so much effort into that tracker! Was very surprised to eke out a kachikoshi after start an ignoble start lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If this is :filez: I'll take the probe or whatever, but if you google NattoSumo Telegram you'll get their active telegram channel where they post the dailies. Discord is also available but I'm not sure which readily available link is legit.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Ex-Kintamayama now Mord Dresner is the account to search for. But also this basho NHK seemed to be posting their recaps on YouTube much quicker than usual, not as quick as Kinta but not far behind.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/@MordDresner

here's his channel. i'm in the minority but i prefer him because of both habit when i got into it, use of english commentary when possible, and coverage of notewothy lower division bouts

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thanks for running the fantasy league Kenning & Banana Canada. :)

I feel bad for Takakeisho but that's how it goes. Looks like there's another yoko run to be excited for come January though.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm happy to see Takayasu with 10 wins. Maybe he'll be able to get back to sanyaku next year.

Ura against Hokuseiho ruled. Giant oaf is pretty exposed now and needs to either fix all of the gaping holes in his game or he seems destined to be a mid-juryo guy like Enho was before his injury.

Kirishima has been really hot in 2023. Hoping he can pull it off and get yokozuna in January, along with leaning to not do extra pushes on his kouhai.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Shiroc posted:

I'm happy to see Takayasu with 10 wins. Maybe he'll be able to get back to sanyaku next year.

Both komusubi are MK and will be demoted, and Ura and Takayasu are the only M3+ guys with positive records so they should both make sanyaku on the next banzuke imo.

Wakamotoharu will be dropping from sekiwake, but he’s 6-9 so I think he’ll be dropping to M1.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Khizan posted:

Both komusubi are MK and will be demoted, and Ura and Takayasu are the only M3+ guys with positive records so they should both make sanyaku on the next banzuke imo.

Wakamotoharu will be dropping from sekiwake, but he’s 6-9 so I think he’ll be dropping to M1.

yeah and for the first time in a while there should only be 2 S and 2 K. ofc there's now 3 ozeki all of whom look actually good and able to compete for yusho to compensate. i started following sumo with the 2018 basho where mitakeumi won his first yusho and there was a point i saw more m17s (2) win yusho than ozeki (1). granted one of those m17 yusho was courtesy of a returning kaiju, but still.....

hoshoryu's my favorite of the three but i'll be rooting for kirishima to get a rope before terunofuji has to call it quits

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thauros posted:

hoshoryu's my favorite of the three but i'll be rooting for kirishima to get a rope before terunofuji has to call it quits

The final match really felt like a passing of the mantle of Next Yokozuna. Keisho got handled just as easily as he handled Atamifuji in the playoff.

Shiroc posted:

2024 is the start of Takayasu's second Ozeki period. It's gonna be great!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

bartolimu posted:

The final match really felt like a passing of the mantle of Next Yokozuna. Keisho got handled just as easily as he handled Atamifuji in the playoff.

2024 is the start of Takayasu's second Ozeki period. It's gonna be great!

i've been skeptical for a while takakeisho would ever have the consistency/health to do it. being a really solid ozeki for four years and winning three yusho since obtaining the rank is nothing to be ashamed of ofc, he's had a great career already.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
congrats to those who picked well, and many thanks to our spreadsheet jockeys Banana and Kenning.

i will work hard to prepare for the next tournament, and i look forward to not blowing my sanyaku pick on Hokutofuji 😆

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Just finished the final day highlights. 15 days ago I'd watched basically no sumo; now I've watched about 7 and a half hours, which is a lot more than I probably ever thought I'd watch. I know I have a ton still to learn, and no doubt many finer points still elude me, but I have some initial thoughts.

Kirishima looked indomitable throughout. He has good technique but also seems very strong also given his lower weight. In line for Yokozuna I guess, if he wins in January. I assume it needs to be not just a win but a strong one, like with a limit to the amount of losses?

Hoshoryu still has the countenance of a badass. Felt like he could have contended for this title, but the margins are obviously pretty fine in sumo. He seems to me to have great throwing technique - loved seeing him toss people around.

Takakeisho seems incredibly solid and planted, like it would be almost impossible to beat him by yorikiri. At the same time, his balance and agility seem less great; his losses seemed to be him mainly losing balance or having a more agile opponent take advantage of his momentum and help him on his way out the dohyo. My inexperienced perception tells me he needs to work on this to have a good chance of making yokozuna.

Kotonowaka looked really strong, with no real obvious weaknesses. Just based on this tournament I'd say he seems a strong ozeki contender, allowing for the stringent requirements to actually make that rank of course. 11 victories is certainly an adequate start to picking up the 33 in 3.

Hokuseiho is dull - just seems to try and smother his opponents, exhaust them with his superior size and grind them down. Gotta do what works for you I guess, though he ended up with make-koshi, so, I guess it wasn't that effective. Has the biggest legs I've ever seen.

Atamifuji - seemed very impressive to me. More from him in future?

Daiesho - 9-6 seems good, but I guess not quite on track for challenging for ozeki. Seems to have a lot of ability, but got blown away by a couple of the stronger opponents.

Shodai

Ichiyamamoto - seemed really good. Future sanyaku?

General thoughts: sumo is really dynamic! Not just the sport itself but the ranking system - keeps things pretty exciting throughout the year I imagine. Also the fine margins mentioned above - 15 bouts, each bout typically seconds long and no chance to atone for errors. Even for good rikishi it seems quite easy to rack up an inconvenient number of losses. Equally, lower ranked maegashira can rack up great scores.

Clearly size is far from everything, and agility and skill play big roles. I saw quite a few matches where someone's footwork allowed them to make use of their opponents momentum and shove them out of the dohyo, or slap them down to the floor. I saw a video, can't remember who it was referring to specifically or when the quotes were made, that mentioned some criticism from the sumo authorities levelled at someone gunning for a yokozuna promotion for sidestepping too much. I guess it's considered un-sumo-like, or not in the spirit, to some extent? It's really effective though! I even saw someone kind of half do it during a tachi-ai, which I'd have thought was a definite no-no, but he didn't get penalised for it; it was only semi-blatant, though.

It felt like I got a good all-round flavour of the sport. I saw all kinds of victories, several rematches from inconclusive results, and also a match where they took a water break, which according to the commentators hadn't happened for quite a few years.

Overall, I was well entertained, and it was a welcome distraction in the evenings. The more you follow the paths and progression of the rikishi the more gripping it gets, and I suppose the same thing applies over multiple tournaments as well as within individual ones. Looking forward to seeing whether Kirishima can build on this victory, how Takakeisho bounces back, and whether anyone puts together a good challenge for ozeki. Maybe I'll have a bash at the fantasy sumo too.