Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

toasterwarrior posted:

Oh I don't care for your reactions, I just think you're all just a bunch of old whiners bitching about the most pointless stuff and assuming the worst about everything

this is a pretty accurate description of me tbh, ngl

However I will say that I do enjoy civ6 overall (I'm playing a game on a huge map right now and very much having fun). I have many complaints about the game (mostly UI related because UX is a part of my job so it's a big thing for me, and I notice when it's bad) but mods have mostly resolved those so I don't notice them any more anyway.

When it comes to posting in the thread, there's not much point unless something new has happened. If they made a change I liked I would absolutely post about that. The banner is totally inconsequential, yes, but if I stopped posting complaints about trivial poo poo then there's a lot of threads I'd have to unbookmark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Getting drunk and melting down in the civ 6 thread ftw

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
A cultural victory if ever there was one.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

toasterwarrior posted:

Seriously, a banner on the main menu that's there to help guide players in case they don't know what's up and it offends you. What are you, a loving child?

there was already a banner ad in the main menu to help guide players in case they don't know what's up

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PYF bad Civ opinion

I'll start: hexes were a mistake

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mine:
1UPT should work just fine, they've just not done it right yet.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

civ 4 is the peak of the series

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

That's a good opinion though.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Tall gameplay should be discouraged and even penalized.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

That is objective truth

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

:wrong:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Its 3

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Civ 6 isn’t cartoony enough

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Fister Roboto posted:

PYF bad Civ opinion
Wonders that don't completely swing the game are pointless.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Super Jay Mann posted:

That's a good opinion though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The "lol gandhi loves nukes" meme is dumb

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
activision should've kept the call to power series going

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Districts were a mistake.

Also, governors, ages, the new builders, the trade route system and the palm tree art.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fister Roboto posted:

PYF bad Civ opinion

Eliminating naval transport units was a mistake. It’s unrealistic and also less practical, when moving large amounts of units through water

edit: also, civ 4 is boring. The only thing it has better than 5 or 6 is the AI being more competent, but that’s because it’s a much simpler game. Still, I rather play 5 or 6 against a braindead AI

edit 2: oh I got 1 more: Civ 5 culture system was much better than 6, because its about choosing culture trees. And that created variety between players in a game, and between games (if you dont choose always the same ones, of course) . In 6, it’s just a parallel tech tree. The only thing wrong with how 5 handled it was that the trees were terribly unbalanced, but still is a better system than what they did in 6

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 24, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I think the ages system is pretty cool. It’s something I hope they include in 7, or something similar.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fister Roboto posted:

PYF bad Civ opinion

e: wait i think i misread this, so instead: beyond earth is good

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Beyond Earth was ok

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

PYF bad Civ opinion

I prefer Civ5 over 6.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
They should put Hitler back in

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Microplastics posted:

They should put Hitler back in

I dunno about Hitler but Stalin def

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Remalle posted:

Beyond Earth was ok

Beyond Earth would have been recognized for its okay-ness if not for the fact that it kept getting compared to Alpha Centauri before release. But then people judged it against that expectation and declared it trash.

But yeah, it was fine! I played a few rounds and liked it.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Beyond Earth was pretty ok. Steam says I put 180 hours into it(!?). I think it was the first Civ game where I couldn't just do what I wanted because so much was dependent on location and the three Affinity resources. It also leaned heavily into tile improvements outside of the city center. Little did I know that Civ 6 was going to triple-down on this. The main issue I had with BE was that it was a rush to get any kind of Affinity-based unit because they were literally 3x stronger than anything else when they hit the field.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

That stream before BE’s launch when the player got the Explorer immunity Affinity bonus and then stacked all his units with Explorers to make them immune to alien melee attacks, while two of the chief devs looked on thinking “gently caress how did we not predict this”

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Remalle posted:

Beyond Earth was ok

Good, even; but it's hard to return to it without some of the modernity of Civ VI which feels odd to say but it's my bad opinion

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Colonization was jank as hell but pretty fun, and I was really looking forward to the Civ 4 reskin version, but somehow it's worse than the DOS version to play and I couldn't really tell you why

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Base game Beyond Earth is pretty plain and unambitious but Rising Tide was moving the game in the right direction by leaning much harder in the silly sci-fi direction.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah BE felt very cautious and suffered for it, basically offworld ciV with a tech web.

BERT introduced the best feature in any civilization game probably until the end of time: ocean settling and mobile cities. I don’t know how you’d do it with districts which are another favorite addition of mine but for a brief shining window you could roll up on someone’s coast not with your navy but with your god drat core territory.

Mr_Roke
Jan 1, 2014

Espionage should only be a stealing tech & gold catch-up mechanic.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
None of the AI's yields, or progress in any matter, should be visible to the player

Except via espionage :colbert:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

LonsomeSon posted:

That stream before BE’s launch when the player got the Explorer immunity Affinity bonus and then stacked all his units with Explorers to make them immune to alien melee attacks, while two of the chief devs looked on thinking “gently caress how did we not predict this”

That the expansion was “hard choices in which one of these three trees to advance on” where anyone who had played a 4x game before had no problem getting up all three trees

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm not sure if we're still on 'bad opinions' or not and I can't tell due to all the BE apologists in here. We might all dunk on the Civ5/6 computer opponents, but at least they can, like, play the game to some degree. BE was irremediable garbage in that the computer opponents virtually didn't exist, they couldn't do the most basic of actions nevermind act as competition to a newbie player on Deity difficulty. BE was, at best, a sandbox game.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

My other bad Civ opinion is that I like to play on too-easy difficulties and use it as a sandbox on purpose. I get irrationally mad in 6 when the traders don't draw my roads correctly.

e: but traders making the roads is probably an improvement for any non-psychotic player purposes

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

That the expansion was “hard choices in which one of these three trees to advance on” where anyone who had played a 4x game before had no problem getting up all three trees
I've no idea how the hell you are supposed to only go up one tree in the expansion. Every single game ends up in the same generic messy mix of all three making it all completely useless.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 24, 2023

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
why does my governor keep preferring a 1/3 unimproved forest hill over my 1/4/1gold improved mine when i toggle the citizens to production? the one extra production affects the turn outcome of the unit in producing, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Akratic Method posted:

My other bad Civ opinion is that I like to play on too-easy difficulties and use it as a sandbox on purpose.
:same:

I mostly play on Emperor and build tall empires with 2-4 cities because managing a large number of mediocre cities is unfun.