Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Consoles are for people who connect their TV to the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Consoles are for people who turn off their router for the night.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

PCs are for people who like the aesthetic of coloured LED lights

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Videogames are for people who are afraid of showering.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Videogames are for people who are afraid of showering.

My love of videogames has nothing to do with being a witch

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dick Fontaine posted:

spent ages clicking through tabs on the steam sale. all champing at the bit to do a little frivolous spending. nothing vibing till that last tab. this hoss looking sandbox voxel naval combat game. slid down to those specs. recommended: my old rear end laptop. ‘twas looking like a success. then i saw it had a dlc for adding anime girls. such a disappointment. why are you like this pc gaming? shut that shucker down in disgust.

partner free for just a few precious hours. ain’t no time to waste. gonna see how many i can crank out before they get back

:dogtits::dogtits:

It sounds like you could just not add the anime girls though?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
At the end of the day the console v pc argument is stupid. Its not a zero sum game you can easily have both.

I hope I used "zero sum game" in the right context there because it would make me feel very smart

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Its really funny though. I mean its just video games, it couldn't possibly matter less. The playstation vs xbox argument is funnier because it just stems from kids who could only get one for christmas.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Caesar Saladin posted:

This is a good point. Consoles should have more rgb led lights crammed everywhere.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

At the end of the day the console v pc argument is stupid. Its not a zero sum game you can easily have both.

I hope I used "zero sum game" in the right context there because it would make me feel very smart

PCs do everything a console does now that exclusive games are basically not a thing outside of Nintendo. Having both is just a waste of money. Consoles are cheaper (if you ignore the higher price of games), PCs are better, pick one.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

PCs do everything a console does now that exclusive games are basically not a thing outside of Nintendo. Having both is just a waste of money. Consoles are cheaper (if you ignore the higher price of games), PCs are better, pick one.

Consoles still have physical games for now. We'll see how much longer that lasts, though...

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Consoles still have physical games for now. We'll see how much longer that lasts, though...

I honestly didn't even know this, I figured it was all digital nowadays.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

I honestly didn't even know this, I figured it was all digital nowadays.

they do sell digital-only consoles now, you have to pay extra for one with an optical drive

they're probably testing the waters for whether they can get away with killing the optical drive altogether next generation

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Having a console with a 4k Blu Ray player is good because streaming looks and sounds poo poo in comparison if you have anything better than a 32" 720p tv and you're using the tv speakers

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

Yeah good people.https://hyperspacelight.com/

Caesar Saladin posted:

Its really funny though. I mean its just video games, it couldn't possibly matter less. The playstation vs xbox argument is funnier because it just stems from kids who could only get one for christmas.

3d0 or Jaguar? I never did get a Jaguar.

Quote-Unquote posted:

Having a console with a 4k Blu Ray player is good because streaming looks and sounds poo poo in comparison if you have anything better than a 32" 720p tv and you're using the tv speakers

That's so adorable did you not know you can download video files of television and movies?

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 24, 2023

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
The RGB lights aesthetic on everything feels super tacky and obnoxious to me. I don't get why it's become so ubiquitous in evry gaming peripheral.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

pc gamers are out there buying 2300 dollar computers so they can continue their descent into a semi infinite cycle of changing things in the option menu of game they just bought, and then instead of actually playing it they just fall back into their dissociative haze of four hours of Slay the Spire

No, you have a good computer so you can just hit the button to auto set everything to highest. Fiddling with settings is a plebian activity for those with weak machines in denial.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Having both is called having a PC. A PC can play console games, sometimes before consoles can play their own supposedly exclusive games.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 24, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

The RGB lights aesthetic on everything feels super tacky and obnoxious to me. I don't get why it's become so ubiquitous in evry gaming peripheral.

I hate them too but I have a weird case with a glass side and RGB lights inside and everyone who has ever come over (non-gamers) thought it was super cool so I think it's just a gamer thing to hate it because of the association with self-loathing

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

I hate them too but I have a weird case with a glass side and RGB lights inside and everyone who has ever come over (non-gamers) thought it was super cool so I think it's just a gamer thing to hate it because of the association with self-loathing

I like RGBs and am not a streamer. While I can certainly see someone not liking them I do think that gets amplified by them being considered "gamer".

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Why is it only PC gamers who constantly insist on PC gaming being superior? Console gamers just be like whatever man just chill and play some games who cares how you do it :cool:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pixel bitches posted:

Why is it only PC gamers who constantly insist on PC gaming being superior? Console gamers just be like whatever man just chill and play some games who cares how you do it :cool:

Console gamers don't have the brain capacity to make coherent arguments. Duh. Like I already played a gently caress ton of Unreal Tournament while these morons were busy going on about how HALO IS THE BEST. Just the dumbest people ever and if they aren't reminded constantly of that fact they'll forget.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

pixel bitches posted:

because pc gamers probably have less going on in their life socially so they need something to justify all this more

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

That's so adorable did you not know you can download video files of television and movies?

Yes and they look and sound worse unless you want to have piles of hard drives full of 100gb disc image files in your living room

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pixel bitches posted:

They don't insist, it's just how it is. It's also how consoles should be but they're a scam. And PC definitely aren't the main actors in console wars, they just win them by virtue of not making their hardware arbitrarily worse.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Consoles are for people who buy stuff on Black Friday

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yes and they look and sound worse unless you want to have piles of hard drives full of 100gb disc image files in your living room

The exaggeration is nice (100gb disc image files are not what people are going to be using) but what gets me is the idea that a pile of hard drives would take up more space than blu-rays and would also need to be in the living room. It isn't even remotely close even assuming the 100gb disc image files.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

The exaggeration is nice (100gb disc image files are not what people are going to be using) but what gets me is the idea that a pile of hard drives would take up more space than blu-rays and would also need to be in the living room. It isn't even remotely close even assuming the 100gb disc image files.

Why would I want worse quality when watching a film? That's what you get if you don't have the physical media or a disc image. It's nice having a 4k Blu Ray player. I can have that and a PC because they serve different purposes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Blu rays aren't analogue.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
lol @ physical media consumers in 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

Why would I want worse quality when watching a film? That's what you get if you don't have the physical media or a disc image. It's nice having a 4k Blu Ray player. I can have that and a PC because they serve different purposes.

I suppose you could called a NAS a PC.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
It's very important to be able to see the computer generated pores on Solomon Grundy's rear end crack in the new avengers or my immersion will be ruined :reddit:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Like I'll watch things I don't care about much but still want to see (like marvel films) on streaming or whatever but it's nice to own things I really like in the best quality. I have like maybe 20 4k Blu rays. Only games I buy physical are Yakuza games or if I see something really cheap, like the latest ratchet and clank game I got for a tenner in early 2021 when it was still £60-70.

Don't see why people are hostile about having options to consume media in a way and quality I prefer. Do you get mad about people buying better video cards to get slightly better fps? What's the difference?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you can see the difference in 4k you sit too close to the tv

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Quote-Unquote posted:

Do you get mad about people buying better video cards to get slightly better fps?

yes

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Quote-Unquote posted:

Don't see why people are hostile about having options to consume media in a way and quality I prefer. Do you get mad about people buying better video cards to get slightly better fps? What's the difference?

Who's being mean to you? I will fight them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vic posted:

Who's being mean to you? I will fight them.

Ty

Anyone using anything newer than a 3dfx voodoo 2 is a coward

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I put a bluray/M-DISC drive in my current computer when I built it because I like having an optical drive even though I pretty much have never used it, same thing as how I kept migrating my 3.5" drive between computers until about 5 years after it was clear it was never going to be used again

I'm pretty sure Sony's redesign of the PS5 is signaling that optical drives ain't gonna be a thing for consoles going forward

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Optical drives aren't a thing because the data network technology worldwide overcame it in 2010s.

Buying blurays is akin to buying water in plastic bottles.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's a lovely analogy too because the water is undrinkable unless you pour it through proprietary hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vic posted:

Optical drives aren't a thing because the data network technology worldwide overcame it in 2010s.

But streaming still looks and sounds shittier than literally any other way of viewing media because the providers refuse to make use of the network technology in order to save money.