Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Weirdly, Tubi is the first one I've used that actually crashed all the time. Max has this fun thing where if you play anything that isn't on their list (new releases! top movies! etc) it just doesn't play. Everything else just gives me what I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Berberian Sound Studio just got added to Shudder, time to do a double feature with The Editor.

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

ruddiger posted:

Berberian Sound Studio just got added to Shudder, time to do a double feature with The Editor.

There's also Censor in a similar vein, but it's no BBR. Also Blow Out?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
This new kaiju-centric show just premiered on Apple TV+.

It’s got Kurt Russell (and Wyatt Russell playing a younger Kurt Russell), and takes place after the initial Godzilla attack on San Francisco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExcGBd2Jl-0

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Gonz posted:

(and Wyatt Russell playing a younger Kurt Russell),

I'm sold.

Edit: I was not expecting John Goodman.

Fartington Butts fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 17, 2023

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh weird I thought it wasn't coming out til January.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The Killer was fun, and I appreciate that they were able to meet the platform mandate of a decent hallway fight.

I REALLY appreciated the attention to engaging hand to hand combat. Tried to watch Gunpowder Milkshake -- a cool aesthetic and a truly game cast is not enough if you're presenting THOSE fight scenes in your action movie.

EDIT: Also watched the Equalizer 3 this weekend. Holy loving lol that Fuqua and Washington are just straight up making more earnest Steven Seagal movies. I swear, Denzel spends half the movie strolling around some small European village in black pajamas, and literally beats up at least one guy by pressure point. His romantic interest is also facially too young, but credit to him for not doing Steven's "Sexy granddaughter, but she has a 10+ year old so she's at least in her late 20s" vibe.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 19, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Fools Paradise is sick dude

Like it made you sick to your stomach to watch?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

No I mean I really enjoyed it

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Sewer Boys

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

A MIRACLE posted:

Maybe it was helped by seeing all the catastrophically bad reviews, but I liked it too. It was doing it's own old fashioned thing and I dug it. But I can see how it might not work for people who went in expecting Always Sunny or Horrible Bosses and instead got a Charlie Chaplin old Hollywood throwback. It's a movie I can see myself watching again, which is pretty rare these days.

I wouldn't be surprised if it found it's audience down the road.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

The Modern Leper posted:

EDIT: Also watched the Equalizer 3 this weekend. Holy loving lol that Fuqua and Washington are just straight up making more earnest Steven Seagal movies. I swear, Denzel spends half the movie strolling around some small European village in black pajamas, and literally beats up at least one guy by pressure point. His romantic interest is also facially too young, but credit to him for not doing Steven's "Sexy granddaughter, but she has a 10+ year old so she's at least in her late 20s" vibe.

Yeah I saw they are working on a Hannibal film for Netflix and I'm pretty worried it's going to suck hard. 2nd punic war is maybe the biggest historical conflict that hasn't been touched by modern film and I am really hoping it ends up being more than generic Denzel bad rear end strolls around being bad rear end.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah I saw they are working on a Hannibal film for Netflix and I'm pretty worried it's going to suck hard. 2nd punic war is maybe the biggest historical conflict that hasn't been touched by modern film and I am really hoping it ends up being more than generic Denzel bad rear end strolls around being bad rear end.

It had better do justice to the project I did on it in the seventh grade

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Ah. I didn't hate it. But I also had really low expectations due to the reviews. It was mostly a mess.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I liked Cop Land on Netflix. It was interesting seeing Sylvester Stallone play kind of a chicken.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm 6 episodes into Blue Eye Samurai on Netflix and it's been absolutley wild. Love it everything about it. Great story with great characters. It's hyperviolent and gory, with a fair bit of nudity and sex -- think something similar to Ninja Scroll but presented in the style of Disney/Dreamworks faux-ish 2D animation. Can't wait to see how the last two episodes pan out :allears:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mark Ruffalo's British accent in All the Light We Cannot See, on Netflix, really should be experienced.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Inspector Hound posted:

I liked Cop Land on Netflix. It was interesting seeing Sylvester Stallone play kind of a chicken.

It's good. If it had found an audience, maybe Stallone would have had a different career instead of endless Franchise 4: More of the Same.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

nonathlon posted:

It's good. If it had found an audience, maybe Stallone would have had a different career instead of endless Franchise 4: More of the Same.

i'm pretty sure stallone genuinely loves that poo poo, see: both rocky and first blood being quiet introspective films that almost immediately became cartoons

so copland 2 would have probably been his character now leading a special ops team to take down rogue ex cops who are manufacturing a super drug and kidnap the mayor's daughter

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Wolfsheim posted:

i'm pretty sure stallone genuinely loves that poo poo, see: both rocky and first blood being quiet introspective films that almost immediately became cartoons

so copland 2 would have probably been his character now leading a special ops team to take down rogue ex cops who are manufacturing a super drug and kidnap the mayor's daughter

re: First Blood

I just saw an interview with Stallone about the film, and he hated it when it was completed. He and the director (or producer maybe) wanted to buy it back and burn the negatives because it was so bad. It was originally close to 3 hours long and a lot of that was Rambo trudging through the woods talking to himself with awful dialog.
As an example - there was a scene where Rambo shoots an owl with his bow, and as it falls to the ground he sad "Take that, you mouse munching motherfucker!"
He gave another example of a terrible line when he first meets the cop while walking through town.

Anyway, he suggested they cut pretty much all of Rambo's dialogue and make some other cuts to the runtime and that's how we got the classic movie.

And yeah, Cop Land is a good film.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I watched the Sly documentary last night which is... very loose. Basically just him reminiscing off the cuff. But it turns out that he's actually a very aware filmmaker with a good sense of what works in a movie. He also is very willing to admit when things go off the rails or he gets it wrong. I never thought he was stupid, but he is definitely a lot smarter than I took him for.

They never touch on the art side of things though which I hate!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I haven't read First Blood but I'm guessing a lot of it was Rambo with like an internal monologue and then they probably tried to translate that to the film, which obviously would've been a big mistake. Seems like a pretty common difficulty in adapting novels to film, you have a lot of internal character information that needs to be conveyed but in a totally different way because of film being a visual medium.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

nonathlon posted:

it earned 60 million on a 15 million budget and critics absolutely loved Stallone's performance. for the kind of movie it was it did really well.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I rewatched Rocky 1 and 2 this week, after years and years after a previous watch, and Rocky is still fantastic but now I realize that Rocky 2 is Rocky 1 fanfiction. I still like it a lot though Rocky 1 is heads above it

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ammanas posted:

it earned 60 million on a 15 million budget and critics absolutely loved Stallone's performance. for the kind of movie it was it did really well.

Interesting, I knew the critics like Stallone, but in the documentary they definitely call it a flop.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Didn't see mention of it, but FX finally dropped the trailer for Shogun and will be airing it starting January.

https://youtu.be/yAN5uspO_hk?si=zNJ--EvLj5Y0aGO7

Not sold on the actor for Blackthorne but the cast otherwise seems pretty tight. No word on if the initial plan of two seasons for Shogun then subsequent seasons adapting the other books in the cycle is still a go.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

BonoMan posted:

Interesting, I knew the critics like Stallone, but in the documentary they definitely call it a flop.

i think it failed to give Stallone the chance to do more serious roles, like how Oscar (which I believe was a genuine flop) crushed his hopes of branching into comedy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ammanas posted:

i think it failed to give Stallone the chance to do more serious roles, like how Oscar (which I believe was a genuine flop) crushed his hopes of branching into comedy.

I loving loved Oscar as a kid. I don't think I've ever heard another person speak of it ever. But i loved it. I don't know if it would hold up but I remember watching it on tv until 6am when my mom got up to go to work and the end credits were rolling. Maybe it was on A&E? But I thought it was a great movie.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

1glitch0 posted:

I loving loved Oscar as a kid. I don't think I've ever heard another person speak of it ever. But i loved it. I don't know if it would hold up but I remember watching it on tv until 6am when my mom got up to go to work and the end credits were rolling. Maybe it was on A&E? But I thought it was a great movie.

My dad loved that movie so we watched owned it on video. I have good memories of it but I almost guarantee it wouldn't hold up to a watch now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I hate reality TV
I super hate being dragged into the Squid Game:the challenge
It's been said to death but reality TV is less real than normal shows

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hulu is $1/month for a year, add Disney for another $2

Paramount 67% off

Max $3/month for 6 months

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beavis and butthead reboot season 2 is somehow better than the first one

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That’s super cool that every single BF deal only applies to new subscribers. Like, gently caress you for already supporting us.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

That’s super cool that every single BF deal only applies to new subscribers. Like, gently caress you for already supporting us.
Peacock and Paramount just worked for me as an inactive former subscriber. or did you just mean "only applies to people without an active subscription"? cause yeah I guess that's still frustrating

grill youre saelf
Jan 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I just cancelled my Hulu and Disney plus subscriptions and resigned up with a new email to get the better rate. one shouldn't be forced to jump threw hoops to get the big money savings

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

New and returning customers only.

Idg why streaming services do that poo poo. I get that it’s to get new subs, but I don’t have to keep paying for this poo poo if I don’t want to, and telling me I can’t get a deal because I am already giving you money is horrible customer service that makes me want to stop giving them money.

Don’t get me wrong I think it’s fine when they are doing trial deals or whatever but actively disqualifying people who are already giving you money in Black Friday deal is bullshit. Someone who isn’t already subbed can get a whole year for 12 dollars while I’m stuck paying 10 times that because I’m already subbed? :fuckoff:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly the way streaming services disincentivize loyalty is probably one of the many reasons they are doing so bad. If I sit there and give you money every month I am always getting the worst deal. There’s no reason to stick around, because the only thing loyalty buys from these companies is the middle finger. Everyone is better off just subbing to things for a month and canceling, because not only does sticking around not have any perks it also disqualifies you from getting any deals

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Just rotate through 3-4 email addresses every time you re-up on Black Friday, easy

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s corny to say but it’s more about the principle than anything. They might have an easier time keeping customers is they valued them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Steve Yun posted:

Hulu is $1/month for a year, add Disney for another $2

Paramount 67% off

Max $3/month for 6 months

Hulu with ads is literally a form of torture.