Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lamebot posted:

One thing I learned about the production is that in order to hold on to the time slot JJK airs in MAPPA has to have a something to air every week, labor and time constraints be damned.

That's for every anime. It's why so many shows taking breaks have recap episodes or talk show segments or whatever. Worse, if a show doesn't finish in its designated slots, then the studio has to negotiate a whole new setup, often months later, because the next weeks are already bought out.

It's why 86's finale was delayed by months, and why Sunrise had to hire out so many studios and freelancers to finish Witch from Mercury close to on time, for some other recent delays. (Season 1 was able to get away with more delays since they had the slot booked for the next three months for movie recuts. Gave them more flexibility.)

There have been occasional issues forever, and overwork is an infamous part of the industry's heritage, but it seems like more and more high profile projects are hitting delays and disasters in the last couple years. Projects like Gridman that wind up in the can with over a month to spare are the exception, not the rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
While the Makora vs Sukuna fight was a lot more clear in the manga version, the fight was also a lot simpler. I think there were a couple of iconic panels that could've been adapted to the anime version that would've made the action a lot clearer, but they were probably aware of this and lacked the time since they'd done it for most of the previous episodes. I had to watch the episode a few times to follow the action, but I really liked how much they extended it compared to the manga.

Really puts into perspective how much stronger Makora was compared to Jogo from how many hits it managed to get on Sukuna.

References to other animes: someone spotted a small Pochita doll in one of the office destruction scenes, obvious Mass Production Evangelion influence, HxH Chrollo spider arc reference from Sukuna when he did that bow after destroying the buildings

Also, Makora spouted gills after it adapted to water was funny

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

It's going to be a very dark lol if the upcoming part that was literally drawn as chicken scratch in the manga before Gege went to hospital and then a long hiatus gets the same treatment in the anime.

Also that's not an exaggeration the last chapter before the hiatus was published as pencil work.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
So I finally watched all the available episodes so far and drat.

The animation and cinematography has been bang-on. I agree with people that the latest sukuna fight felt a bit wonky, since it was hard to follow at times. It probably needed to be adjusted and cleaned up a bit. Still, despite that, it was a joy to watch anyway

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This Mahito guy's a real jerk!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Good night Nanamin , now go enjoy your pension in your own tropical island :negative:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i hate mahito with my life

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jerkface posted:

i hate mahito with my life

correct

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

This was the first episode where I felt like the animation was really suffering

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
And not last episode that straight up had black screens over missing scenes?

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

And not last episode that straight up had black screens over missing scenes?

I guess I didn’t notice the absence of a scene as much as how bad it looked while Itadori and Mahito were walking down that hallway.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Mons Hubris posted:

I guess I didn’t notice the absence of a scene as much as how bad it looked while Itadori and Mahito were walking down that hallway.

I agree. The animation in the latest episode loving suuuuuucked

Still having fun but at this point I'm actively rooting for the show to fail so that they have some time to fill this poo poo in.

Even if that doesn't happen though, it's been so fun seeing Shibuya animated and I can't wait for some of the upcoming moments.

Taima fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 24, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Taima posted:

Fantastic episode but like all the others, lack of animation time impacted it. That being said, the effects were minimized by good direction and use of animation in key areas and pulling back in others.

I really, really hope that they just cancel the rest of the episodes and restart the entire thing in 3-6 months, and do it right this time. But that feels unrealistic. We'll see.

The one thing that does confuse me about Season 2 is that it's basically an entirely different show from season 1. I am genuinely curious how it will feel to non-manga fans in particular as they watch through season 1 and then progress to season 2.

S1 was pretty medioce imo, but s2 has been mostly good (aside from the production catastrophe going on internally and how that's currently impacting episodes)

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

This was the first episode where the animation really bugged me, an anime only fan, too. Rewatching some of the Sukuna fight and earlier episodes like the Mei Mei Smallpox fight, I can see some of the issues that people brought up here. I think that in prior stuff the quality issues were more that elements of the fights were simplified, skipped, or rendered in a more stylized way that was less detailed but looked deliberate. Scratchy linework, or stark black and white fill. They seemed to try to creatively overcome their constraints and deliver something that lived up to the show's quality standards even if it wasn't quite what had been hoped for, or required style shifts to something easier to animate. And for me, at least, they did it well enough. Whereas in this episode a lot of the sequences looked like they were trying to look like the rest of the show but the people doing it couldn't pull it off (which we know is because of time and crunch imposed by management rather than the fault of the animation team, but if I didn't know that I'd have wondered if they gave a b-team of animators a chance to shine and they blew it).

And I also get the idea that the transition from S1 to S2 was a bit jarring - S1 was a show about a magic team at magic school with Yuji as the main protagonist, Nobara and Megumi as his buddy team, and Gojo as the wise (ish) teacher dude. It focused on their coming into their own as Year 1 sorcerors at magic school. I got some stuff spoiled, but I would have expected the events here in season 2 to happen a bit later on, to perhaps be more stretched out, for there to be more time for school and for relationships to develop between the students at the two schools. Nobara felt like she was definitely going to be as important a member of the team as Megumi, and the team of the three of them felt like they were going to be the main window through which we saw the greater story. S2 is an ensemble show with way more focus on the adult characters that almost entirely jettisons the school framing, the original team of three, seemed to pretty clearly relegate Nobara to third string, and basically speeds into the overarching plot about jujutsu society and the two main enemies. It's mostly great, and the way that Gege managed to avoid a lot of the least interesting parts of other shonen shows and subverted many shonen tropes whilst still sticking firmly in a fun shonen battle space is refreshing and interesting, but it's a departure from my expectations post S1 and in one marked criticism has done the female characters dirty after starting fairly strongly on that note.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mons Hubris posted:

Using the still of Yuji staring at the hole before it actually happens to paper over Sukuna walking away victorious bugged me more than the lack of in-betweens.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

pork never goes bad posted:

And I also get the idea that the transition from S1 to S2 was a bit jarring - S1 was a show about a magic team at magic school with Yuji as the main protagonist, Nobara and Megumi as his buddy team, and Gojo as the wise (ish) teacher dude. It focused on their coming into their own as Year 1 sorcerors at magic school. I got some stuff spoiled, but I would have expected the events here in season 2 to happen a bit later on, to perhaps be more stretched out, for there to be more time for school and for relationships to develop between the students at the two schools. Nobara felt like she was definitely going to be as important a member of the team as Megumi, and the team of the three of them felt like they were going to be the main window through which we saw the greater story. S2 is an ensemble show with way more focus on the adult characters that almost entirely jettisons the school framing, the original team of three, seemed to pretty clearly relegate Nobara to third string, and basically speeds into the overarching plot about jujutsu society and the two main enemies. It's mostly great, and the way that Gege managed to avoid a lot of the least interesting parts of other shonen shows and subverted many shonen tropes whilst still sticking firmly in a fun shonen battle space is refreshing and interesting, but it's a departure from my expectations post S1 and in one marked criticism has done the female characters dirty after starting fairly strongly on that note.

Yeah, the way Nobara was handled this season bugs me something fierce. In S1 you had the feeling the main trio was more or less equal, once you take into account the fact that Yuji is the protagonist and Megumi is the classic edgy rival with a twist. But this season, you have Yuji fight equally with Choso, who was strong enough to participate in the sealing of Gojo and Megumi doing lions share of work in the battle against Special Grade Curse and then doing a pretty good job in surviving against Toji. Nobara meanwhile is completely owned by scrawny twerp and when saved, considers Nanami who, while great, is absolutely far lower on power scale than all of the above, an unstoppable juggernaut. Like girl, what do you mean "so this is what grade 1 sorcerer is"? You are currently a candidate for becoming one as well. And then she sits most of the action out? And then, according to spoilers that were honestly pretty unavoidable if you are visiting anime adjacent spaces, she dies or something like it? Bleh.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, the way Nobara was handled this season bugs me something fierce. In S1 you had the feeling the main trio was more or less equal, once you take into account the fact that Yuji is the protagonist and Megumi is the classic edgy rival with a twist. But this season, you have Yuji fight equally with Choso, who was strong enough to participate in the sealing of Gojo and Megumi doing lions share of work in the battle against Special Grade Curse and then doing a pretty good job in surviving against Toji. Nobara meanwhile is completely owned by scrawny twerp and when saved, considers Nanami who, while great, is absolutely far lower on power scale than all of the above, an unstoppable juggernaut. Like girl, what do you mean "so this is what grade 1 sorcerer is"? You are currently a candidate for becoming one as well. And then she sits most of the action out? And then, according to spoilers that were honestly pretty unavoidable if you are visiting anime adjacent spaces, she dies or something like it? Bleh.

Yes! I think in S1 I'd have been comfortable ranking her as the least powerful of the trio, but they felt like they were in the same ballpark with very different strengths and weaknesses which would lead to better/worse matchups depending on technique matches. Not so this season. And with her technique attacking the soul directly, I expected it to have some big plot implications. Could she attack Sukuna within Yuji?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Twerp man has a broken, stupid ability. That's all there is to it.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean so did the dude who could...nullify? invert? damage. So did the seance grandma and her grandson. So did Dagon, Choso and Toji, overwhelmingly so.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 24, 2023

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I'd say that where Nobara stands above the other two is having the exact right mindset for jujutsu, but she lacks Megumi's busted CT or Yuji's abnormal physical constitution, which is what's letting them keep up with the adults.

It's also worth noting that sorcerer grading is half politics; Gojo wanted them moved up to increase their influence, and the requirement for Grade 1 is to be considered strong enough to defeat Grade 1 curses, which the main cast certainly is, but we see folks like Mei Mei/Nanami/Todo who fall within the classification because it encompasses anyone short of Special Grade, and there's a clear gap in how those carry themselves in fights compared to the main trio, with Yuji probably the closest to getting there but still fumbling.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Girls don't do so well in the big action animes that I know of

One Piece: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Naruto: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Bleach: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Dragonball: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Demon Slayer: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Hunter x Hunter: Is there even a female protagonist?

Though, we DO get (dont read for JJK spoilers) Maki powering up massively later on at least

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

This is Mikasa erasure.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

Using the still of Yuji staring at the hole before it actually happens to paper over Sukuna walking away victorious bugged me more than the lack of in-betweens.

lol that had me scratching my head and yeah was really annoying

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

Honestly the animation quality is about the only thing that matters because as an anime only I spend half of every episode going “ok who are these people again and wtf is happening”

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Nobara's only crime (er, in terms of combat ability) is that she doesn't have a completely OP ability that she has next to no control over, like her classmates.

Which... is that even a crime? Especially considering what Sukuna and Mahoroga got up. I wonder what Geto's opinion would've been on the superiority of Sorcerors after seeing them completely obliterate an entire ward of Tokyo.

Hell I kinda wonder what his opinion would've been on Yuji in general, given that Sukuna is an existential threat to just about eeeverybody?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Collapsing Farts posted:

Girls don't do so well in the big action animes that I know of

One Piece: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Naruto: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Bleach: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Dragonball: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Demon Slayer: the strongest protagonists are all dudes
Hunter x Hunter: Is there even a female protagonist?

Though, we DO get (dont read for JJK spoilers) Maki powering up massively later on at least

There's two where they come off okay.

One is Fairy Tail. FT absolutely has its problems but women fighting and being powerful is not one of them.

The next is Undead Unluck which takes a while but boy howdy. Like to take Naruto as an example, if you (by which I mean Kishimoto) actually wanted to show off how powerful Sakura was potentially post time skip and whatnot you could certainly could. UU actually pulls that trigger. Again, takes a while.

Nobara does deserve better, though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is Mikasa erasure.

Also Makima ignorance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

I'd say that where Nobara stands above the other two is having the exact right mindset for jujutsu, but she lacks Megumi's busted CT or Yuji's abnormal physical constitution, which is what's letting them keep up with the adults.

It's also worth noting that sorcerer grading is half politics; Gojo wanted them moved up to increase their influence, and the requirement for Grade 1 is to be considered strong enough to defeat Grade 1 curses, which the main cast certainly is, but we see folks like Mei Mei/Nanami/Todo who fall within the classification because it encompasses anyone short of Special Grade, and there's a clear gap in how those carry themselves in fights compared to the main trio, with Yuji probably the closest to getting there but still fumbling.

Well to be exact Grade 1 requirement is that you be able handle a Grade 1 Curse solo with few issues. If you can just barely hold your own you would probably be stuck in Semi Grade 1.

Megumi and Yuji honestly probably would have been sent back too if they ran into Nanami. Yuji's only real advantage is that he can hurt Mahito, but he's still inferior to pretty much every enemy here.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 24, 2023

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Yeah. Yuji basically died fighting Choso and Megumi would have bled out if he hadn't summoned Mahoraga and gotten Sukuna's attention.

Even Mei Mei was at real risk of death if she didn't figure out and exploit the spirit's targeting.

Nobody is having a good time in Shibuya except Sukuna, Mahito, and Geto Brain.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah. Gojo was kind of the load bearing dumbass with pretty eyes. In more ways than one.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

poo poo... I just HAD to know what happens next for a certain favorite character of mine, so I bit the bullet and started the manga. A day later and CHRIST, I need a break, poo poo gets heavy.

Cedilla
Jul 24, 2020

Mons Hubris posted:

I spend half of every episode going “ok who are these people again and wtf is happening”

Same. In my opinion we've reached, nay, exceeded Shirobako levels of "who the gently caress is that", because I feel like Shirobako didn't require as much knowledge of who people were.

Example: when (ep 42) Haibara appeared onscreen in front of Nanami, nobody in the group had any idea who he was. I suppose we should've known, considering he was from this season and not the previous one, but everyone's sorta blending together. (The names don't help either; we've screwed up Toji, Toge, and Todo at least a few times.)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Huh, I thought this episode looked dramatically better that the previous one. Last episode I had trouble understanding what was going on during parts of the Sukuna fight, whereas here I always knew what was going on

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Cedilla posted:

(The names don't help either; we've screwed up Toji, Toge, and Todo at least a few times.)

What's wrong, you don't like having a Nanami and Hanami in the same season, or Gojo and Jogo? I'm just thinking the author is bad at names.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well to be exact Grade 1 requirement is that you be able handle a Grade 1 Curse solo with few issues. If you can just barely hold your own you would probably be stuck in Semi Grade 1.

The whole power ranking system is kinda dumb because the top grade of curses isn't bounded above. A "special rank sorcerer" can beat a "special rank curse" - which one?

Edit: when I am in charge of punch wizards, my power levels will count upwards.

Brutal Garcon fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 27, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Brutal Garcon posted:

The whole power ranking system is kinda dumb because the top grade of curses isn't bounded above. A "special rank sorcerer" can beat a "special rank curse" - which one?

Edit: when I am in charge of punch wizards, my power levels will count upwards.

I think the point is that the system was built for a world without Gojo single-handedly forcing the entire power scaling up.

So like a Grade 1 Curse and a Grade 1 Sorcerer would have been rare a few decades ago and even a single Special Grade would have been like "What the gently caress" levels. But now Special grades are popping up all over the place and you've got Gojo as well as like two others who could potentially get to his level with Yuji and Megumi.

And the entire system just wasn't built to handle what's happening.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It makes complete sense if you consider it a hierarchy put together (and successively maintained) by the more powerful and influential sorcerers around: they're themselves of course Grade Number One, those below them are 2nd/3rd/4th tier weaklings, and anyone above them is a freak "Special Grade".

It's an arbitrary and politicized classification system.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 27, 2023

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

This is like Yu Yu Hakusho in that they both quickly outrun the initial premise of "high schoolers investigate and fight mysterious spiritual threats ordinary people can't see", but one of them launches into the greatest tournament arc ever while the other devolves into a bunch of assholes punching each other that I can't really care about.

I want to like it but I've been getting less and less interested as this season goes on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

This is the best JJK has had to offer so might as well bow out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Conspiratiorist posted:

This is the best JJK has had to offer so might as well bow out now.

I just don't really think it's anywhere near the back half of the first season. I'm a fan of cool fights, don't get me wrong, but the entire arc is just one cool fight after the next with no character development or intrigue really.

It could turn something out in the last bit, I don't think it's beyond JJK, but there's nothing here that matches how incredibly cool Chimera Shadow Garden was for the first time or the fight with the twins. But those were built on a season of focusing on the three protagonists and founded in how good it was to see those guys come into their own.