Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bell still choosing to make VVM a paid upsell; I'm still choosing to ignore my voicemails the old fashioned way :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Fido silently, and for free I hope, pushed me into visual voicemail and now I look forward to Chinese scam calls due to my stinky.

Isn’t there some hefty patent royalty to be paid to apple for this alien tech? Or is the iPhone now so old that the patent expired along with the rounded corners on ui elements one.

I also suddenly got visual voicemail without paying for it on Public Mobile after updating to iOS 17.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Apple added it as an OS level feature in 17.

Since it's your actual phone (with a bit of help from The Cloud) doing it, you'll still get voicemail the old way if your phone is off or has no signal when it comes in.

mewse
May 2, 2006

slidebite posted:

Public black friday deals

20GB 5G @ $34

30GB 5G @ $40

Both Canada wide (no US)

vs what koodo was offering me:

I could've gone to 60GB at 5G for $50, but I'd lose US texting and I wanted a cheaper plan not more data.

I switched to public mobile. I gained 5G for $11 less/mo, pretty good. Switching to eSIM was relatively painless.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

mewse posted:

vs what koodo was offering me:

I could've gone to 60GB at 5G for $50, but I'd lose US texting and I wanted a cheaper plan not more data.

I switched to public mobile. I gained 5G for $11 less/mo, pretty good. Switching to eSIM was relatively painless.

Seems like Koodo will only try to upsell you to more expensive plans. I've never seen them offer a plan that is cheaper than what I currently have. e.g. we were paying $55 per month and it was offering only plans that are $60+. Maybe you can get the cheaper ones if you phone in I guess?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I checked my moms koodo self serve, and the 3 days only limited time plans were worse than the other two below it. The others were cheaper and had Can-US data and the limited time ones didn't.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Seems like Koodo will only try to upsell you to more expensive plans. I've never seen them offer a plan that is cheaper than what I currently have. e.g. we were paying $55 per month and it was offering only plans that are $60+. Maybe you can get the cheaper ones if you phone in I guess?

My last plan change with koodo was $45 -> $45 about a year ago so that tracks.

e:

codo27 posted:

I checked my moms koodo self serve, and the 3 days only limited time plans were worse than the other two below it. The others were cheaper and had Can-US data and the limited time ones didn't.

Yeah I think they put in black friday deals for everyone that are better than their existing "You Are A Super Special Customer And We Love You" offers

mewse
May 2, 2006

Also man the deep irony just struck me that "Public Mobile" is owned by a cartel megacorp

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I used to be on Public and their plans keep enticing me every year but Koodo's Call Control service has me in a chokehold. I very much do not want to return to the old spam call days before I had that enabled.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lobok posted:

I used to be on Public and their plans keep enticing me every year but Koodo's Call Control service has me in a chokehold. I very much do not want to return to the old spam call days before I had that enabled.

My last 4 spam calls were from Koodo - I never enabled the call control feature, presumably Koodo was calling to try and tie me into a contract

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The calls are coming from inside the provider!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lobok posted:

The calls are coming from inside the provider!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Feel free someone out there to PM me your public mobile referrer code in case their $34/20gb turns out to be the best deal offered and I grudgingly sign up for it and pray for a discount-bearing Fido winback call.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Feel free someone out there to PM me your public mobile referrer code in case their $34/20gb turns out to be the best deal offered and I grudgingly sign up for it and pray for a discount-bearing Fido winback call.

i'd do it but i lost pms when i got banned last time

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Kodoo showing its psychotic side along with its current matchy-matchy promo:

Why even have that horrific $2,600.00 plan in your system at all any more?

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Just spent 30 minutes with Koodo retention, I asked if they could match the Public Mobile's $34/20GB 5G deal. They gave me the usual BS that the promos are for new customers only and their 5G plans start at $55, and then they offered me $35/25GB 4G. I get to stay with Koodo and keep call control. I'm considering this as a moral victory.

Anybody noticed if LTE signals are weaker? I used to get full bars everywhere around Metro Vancouver, now on occasions I'm noticing 1/2 or 1/3 signal :tinfoil:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

waxluthor posted:

Just spent 30 minutes with Koodo retention, I asked if they could match the Public Mobile's $34/20GB 5G deal. They gave me the usual BS that the promos are for new customers only and their 5G plans start at $55, and then they offered me $35/25GB 4G. I get to stay with Koodo and keep call control. I'm considering this as a moral victory.

Anybody noticed if LTE signals are weaker? I used to get full bars everywhere around Metro Vancouver, now on occasions I'm noticing 1/2 or 1/3 signal :tinfoil:

Didn't seem any different in my experience; Loblaws is still a Faraday cage from which no signals can penetrate

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

waxluthor posted:

I live in Edmonton, and found Telus to have a horrendous signal. The local home depot was a deadzone, and ended up being the thing that pushed me back to Rogers. Anecdotal, but it feels like Telus/Koodo service has fallen in past few years.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

tragic_ethos posted:

I live in Edmonton, and found Telus to have a horrendous signal. The local home depot was a deadzone, and ended up being the thing that pushed me back to Rogers. Anecdotal, but it feels like Telus/Koodo service has fallen in past few years.

I agree, I'm in the greater vancouver area suburbs and it seems a lot worse in my area with frequent deadzones. I had hoped finally updating my phone to a new one would help, perhaps a new antenna/wireless modem would do it, but no pretty much the same. It's terrible and I am actually considering going back to rogers/fido.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

tragic_ethos posted:

Same city, and same network (on the Virgin mobile side but same towers) and I've had the same experience. The cell service is seeming to get worse

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
And now the promo is $34 for 30GB :shepface:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fido, Koodo, Virgin and Public Mobile all now offering $34 for 30gbs via 4g for new activations

Public still has the $34 for 20gb of 5g speed plan as well.

Lucky is 35$ for 20.5 gb.

Chatr is offering to further abuse people with bad credit via terrible plans.

Hopefully actual Friday brings some brave EVP willing to do any of the above for $33.50 or even as low as $33.10

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

waxluthor posted:

And now the promo is $34 for 30GB :shepface:

There is a PM $34 20gb plan with unlimited data. Unlimited data for $34. This is what im doing lol

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

That's unlimited in usage, but severely limited in speed (0.5mbps max). Like email/chat only kind of speeds and generic/non-video web pages.

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
2 lines with 30 gb of rollover data each for $65 total lol.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

unknown posted:

That's unlimited in usage, but severely limited in speed (0.5mbps max). Like email/chat only kind of speeds and generic/non-video web pages.

I never hit 20 but emergency gps or text data is nice to have.

When will Canada get with American style unlimited data speeds where it’s 5-7mbps

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
At that rate, Canada would run out of internet! :stonk:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

At that rate, Canada would run out of internet! :stonk:

drat KIDS and their TIKTOKS using up the internet so i cant CHEAT on my WIFE

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Risky Bisquick posted:

There is a PM $34 20gb plan with unlimited data. Unlimited data for $34. This is what im doing lol

That's what I went to as well. Saved $20/mo and I'm on WIFI for everything except car music streaming so data is a non-issue. The eSim/port was done almost instantly, very smooth process.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

So far this morning Koodo and Fido have changed their offering to 40gb for $34. No word on Pubic Mobile.

Edit: And Fido has finally opened this up for current customers as well if you dig deep into their byod offer menus and avoid the exclusive or reccomend offers category. Sorry to the half dozen people who sent their referral codes. Maybe next year.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 24, 2023

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

So far this morning Koodo and Fido have changed their offering to 40gb for $34. No word on Pubic Mobile.

Edit: And Fido has finally opened this up for current customers as well if you dig deep into their byod offer menus and avoid the exclusive or reccomend offers category. Sorry to the half dozen people who sent their referral codes. Maybe next year.

The competition of this past week has been insane. Looking forward to the 25gb 5G unlimited for $34, or 40gb 4g PM offer

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't think PM is going to up the 20GB/5G. 10GB for $17 would be nice though (also not gonna happen).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Red flag deals is on fire with rumours of better offers like 50gb $34 and 20gb
For $24 and other Walmart exclusive fido deals but fidos website is down their phone queue is broken and the Walmart kiosks can’t communicate with fido at the moment

Welcome to the future of every Black Friday for Canadian cellular going forwards. It’s not even a sensible holiday in Canada. Everyone has to work. Ah well. Let chaos reign.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
PM website currently dying

e: took 13 minutes to login to the website to change the phone plan :v:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 24, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

lol. I wonder if I have to log in to change my upcoming subscription from the 20GB I signed up for just two days ago.

I'm sure some sales execs are salivating at new subscriber bonuses or whatever.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Koodo just pushed me new offers on the self serve portal.

I pay 50 now for 40GB w/Rollover data.

They're offering me 45 for 80GB 5G w/Rollover data.

So much more data than I'll ever need! So tempting! But something better might come along!

Is it true that Public Mobile lacks Wifi calling? That's the only thing stopping me on biting on their deal.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Public Mobile has no wifi calling

Precambrian Video Games posted:

lol. I wonder if I have to log in to change my upcoming subscription from the 20GB I signed up for just two days ago.

I'm sure some sales execs are salivating at new subscriber bonuses or whatever.

You definitely do need to, but the website is a potato right now

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 24, 2023

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Snuffman posted:

Is it true that Public Mobile lacks Wifi calling? That's the only thing stopping me on biting on their deal.

Sad but true.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What is wifi calling? Isn't it the same thing as making a call through whatsapp/discord/whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Has anyone been able to switch from the public mobile 20GB deal to the 40GB one? Customer portal is completely dead afaict