Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just went to Busch Gardens Tampa for the first time in a while.

I have been to many theme parks. In my opinion this is the worst I’ve been to and for the life of me I can’t understand how anyone enjoys it.

Abysmal service. Excruciatingly slow operations. Stupid policies. Somehow more price gougey than the Orlando parks. And none of these coasters are top 10 material.

You want to walk to the next coaster? No worries, it’s only three counties away, and you have to navigate the worst, most confusing park layout ever imagined to eventually get there.

It’s only saving grace is that it’s a pretty park. That’s literally it. It is so goddamn devoid of life and joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is this about the Second Life version? Or a review of their website from the 2000s?
Just bad trolling?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PurpleButterfly posted:

I also attended my first Galaxy's Edge Discord lightsaber meetup, and I'm really glad I stayed.
That discord has some good people on it . And some terrible people. The meetup at Celebration was fun, but I think it's a one and done for me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Upsidads posted:

Is this about the Second Life version? Or a review of their website from the 2000s?
Just bad trolling?

If you think Busch Gardens Tampa is a good coaster park, you should visit more coaster parks, imo.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 19, 2023

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Abysmal service. Excruciatingly slow operations. Stupid policies. Somehow more price gougey than the Orlando parks. And none of these coasters are top 10 material.

I've only visited Busch Gardens once and I agree with all this but Kumba is absolutely a top class coaster. Sadly they were only running one train despite the park being rammed with school trips, and they weren't in any hurry to dispatch that train, so I only rode it once.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Cheetah Hunt is so good

Im a sucker for Intamin launch coasters

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTBB_QeKhcMa

New Defunctland dropped. I know a lot of the people I follow who saw it said it was wild, but it's way beyond what I was expecting.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Akileese posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTBB_QeKhcMa

New Defunctland dropped. I know a lot of the people I follow who saw it said it was wild, but it's way beyond what I was expecting.

Kevin's a genius, god drat.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I gotta ask, why do you think she's gonna change her mind (that's what I'm getting from "come to her own conclusions" and I could totally be misunderstanding that)? It's legit something you have that's making you a tiny amount of money but it isn't a liability and I'm super confused as to why you find it such an issue to keep it if she wants to and it isn't a burden. Like is it preventing you from putting a down payment on a house 'cuz of credit this or that or something?

Yeah, the short version is that since we joined and acquired those points, life can find a way to bite you in the rear end. Our current debt load isn't so high that we can't manage it, but I would feel way less anxiety if I could knock out a substantial chunk of it in one fell swoop by selling off our DVC. Especially if we're not going to use it like we did when we lived in Florida and took stay-cations all the time.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was in a bad mood when I wrote my last post, because our day at Busch Gardens had been pretty awful. I knew to expect crowds, being a Saturday and the start of Thanksgiving week, but the park wasn't actually that busy. The parking lot was a little less than half full. None of the rides we queued up for were even anywhere close to a full queue, yet we still found ourselves waiting long for every single ride.

I've only worked in theme parks with efficient operations (WDW, Universal, Cedar Point), so the number one thing that can ruin my day at other theme parks is watching the ride operators stumble around taking five minutes to dispatch each train. Unfortunately as far as parks go, that is the norm rather than the exception. Busch Gardens Tampa is particularly bad, however. I've been to Six Flags parks that are more efficient.

Busch gets a good rep from coaster nerds because it is fun on days when the park is dead, and those days are often, but it's not a good thing that a park has to be completely dead to be enjoyable.

Lloyddy posted:

I've only visited Busch Gardens once and I agree with all this but Kumba is absolutely a top class coaster. Sadly they were only running one train despite the park being rammed with school trips, and they weren't in any hurry to dispatch that train, so I only rode it once.

Not trying to be rude here, but I genuinely don't understand the love coaster enthusiasts have for Kumba. To me, it's just another generic B&M, and now it's rough, too.

BlueBayou posted:

Cheetah Hunt is so good

Im a sucker for Intamin launch coasters

Cheetah Hunt is a lot of fun. Montu is good. They're all good, but I wouldn't place any of them in my personal top ten, is what I meant earlier.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Iron Gwazi beats velocicoster for me
I like cheetah and the bird drop one a lot too

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Our trip is almost here. What is the name of the anti-chafing gel people suggest?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

alg posted:

Our trip is almost here. What is the name of the anti-chafing gel people suggest?

Don't know about a gel but gold bond powder is what I've used in the past.

Fair warning though, the green bottle works great but is intense, you'll probably want to start with regular strength

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

I use bodyglide sticks and just avoid getting wet whenever possible

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

alg posted:

Body Glide (stick kind) to prevent or Aquaphor to manage and heal

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

alg posted:

I use Gold Bond Powder, it's excellent stuff.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
Did Dave's dvc and booked those two concurrent one nights in less than 2 hours. Kinda crazy but glad it was so fast.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

thanks folks, I usually use baby powder but a stick will just be more covenient

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Make sure to pack some moleskin too. Apply liberally at first sign of a blister.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Disney closing Beast's Library at DCA and I legit had no idea that was something that existed. I have been to DCA many times and now im very sad there is something there I wont ever have had a chance to experience because they were awful at marketing it.

:[

Also, I clearly do not get art because I do not get the new Defunctland.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

BlueBayou posted:

Also, I clearly do not get art because I do not get the new Defunctland.
It's ambitious in execution but I personally don't think it's that interesting to sit and watch all the way through on YouTube.

I've seen people compare it to a video you would watch in a ride line or while taking the monorail. Honestly would be great for that kind of environment, something long enough that it's not repetitive but you don't have to pay full attention.

At this point I've heard the story of Epcot a number of times by now in more straightforward ways. I also don't have any memories of Epcot in the 1980s so the mere mention of "communicore" doesn't drive me wild as it may for others.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

There's also a big element of the current YouTube meta driving that video (and other recent ones from that channel). Long form content is pulling way more views and ad money, so a ton of channels that used to do succinct 10 minute interesting videos are now doing 1 hour+ essays now and you its super obvious when they're stretching to fill time. Some of the more egregious examples are channels dropping 5-9 hour epics that should be split up into a year's worth of short videos on a weekly upload.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Bottom Liner posted:

There's also a big element of the current YouTube meta driving that video (and other recent ones from that channel). Long form content is pulling way more views and ad money, so a ton of channels that used to do succinct 10 minute interesting videos are now doing 1 hour+ essays now and you its super obvious when they're stretching to fill time. Some of the more egregious examples are channels dropping 5-9 hour epics that should be split up into a year's worth of short videos on a weekly upload.

Yeah, I’ve noticed this too. A lot of long time creators are trying to capture the best of both worlds by putting the longer format stuff on a separate channel, which is nice when you don’t want to commit half of the evening to a single video.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I get what he was going for there, but I absolutely do not care and once I realised it wasn't going to "start" I just closed the tab. An hour of him telling me the same story I've heard a dozen times before? Sure. This thing that requires me to use my eyeballs and actually consciously read the screen? gently caress that.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:kiddo: I loved it because it was a pedantic and overly detailed colorful musical thing and someone in the comments said it's basically his fantasia and yeah it's that.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Defunctland's Fastpass video and Disney Channel Theme were long but packed with information throughout with great twists and payoffs.

What I don't understand is long long videos like the latest Dan Olson which takes 2h30min to state over and over the point "some folks on Reddit believe stupid poo poo about stocks". and people love it!

Further researching into the Defunctland Epcot video, I'm shocked from his Twitter how many of the shots in the video used practical/analog techniques

https://twitter.com/Defunctland/status/1726769974209925339

https://twitter.com/Defunctland/status/1688549802714275841

https://twitter.com/Defunctland/status/1641118183309340673

it is perhaps the mark of a true auteur to do a whole bunch of work even though no one will know and it has minimal impact on the result 🤔

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

There's an audience for long form documentary style videos, always has been. They're becoming more prominent because Youtube has stripped ad rates so for overall views that long form is one of the only ways to get anything from them.

With that said, long form has been Kevin's thing for a long while. As someone who uses youtube mostly to watch long form videos, there's a ton out there and they've been around for at least the last four or five years. It's actually become quite prominent in theme park creators (not park vloggers) because all of the original stories have been told a thousand times over, so you either have to dive deeper, or cover really weird poo poo. Kevin did a whole video on the mystery of the Disney Channel Theme and an incredible episode on the history of Fast Pass as well. Offhand Disney does some good long form as well.

I do agree that there are a lot of channels since the start of 2023 just dumping these huge videos, but the reason they're doing that is because it's more profitable to do what someone like Nexpo did with his two part video on Petscop which came in a bit under 5 hours. He probably could have split that into 7 or 8 segments, but you make less as a result of that. Actually now that I thnk about it, considering that Nexpo probably doesn't get a ton of monetization from youtube given the content he sometimes covers, probably not a great example, but the point still stands.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Legoland California dropped their Black Friday sale today. $250 for the highest level pass, which includes free parking and admission to all their Halloween parties? It ain't Disneyland, but I'll take it! Of course last year the price was $50 cheaper, but c'est la vie.

https://www.legoland.com/california/deals/black-friday-2023

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Since there really isn't anywhere in CD to discuss Disney movies (that I know of), just posting to say Wish was surprisingly good.

Took my daughter to see it yesterday. It was good fun, strong music and a straightforward story. The five-year old absolutely loved it. I was pleasantly surprised. My wife really enjoyed it and wants to see it again.

The only semi-gripe I had was that the king's descent to villainy went so fast.

Considering the past decade of Disney, it was nice to have a movie that really didn't bother to explain anything or attempt to make it grounded.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Doronin posted:

The only semi-gripe I had was the lack of a spoiler warning/tags

I've heard it's good but I haven't really heard details until this! Oops?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I read about the ending to the movie. It's probably one of the most idiotic and insulting things they've ever done and it is everything wrong with Hollywood today.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I read about the ending to the movie. It's probably one of the most idiotic and insulting things they've ever done and it is everything wrong with Hollywood today.

Yeah, I saw a tweet about that and thought it was a joke. It is apparently not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've heard it's good but I haven't really heard details until this! Oops?

Well, they did release his villain song like 2 weeks ago.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Well, they did release his villain song like 2 weeks ago.

I also didn't know they did this; why on earth would they do that?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doronin posted:

Since there really isn't anywhere in CD to discuss Disney movies (that I know of), just posting to say Wish was surprisingly good.

Took my daughter to see it yesterday. It was good fun, strong music and a straightforward story. The five-year old absolutely loved it. I was pleasantly surprised. My wife really enjoyed it and wants to see it again.

The only semi-gripe I had was that the king's descent to villainy went so fast.

Considering the past decade of Disney, it was nice to have a movie that really didn't bother to explain anything or attempt to make it grounded.

There’s an animation movie thread

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Anyone done a combo resort/cruise trip? We've done the parks for the last 2 years and it's an easy vacation with our 3 year old, but I want to do something new so we're thinking something like 4 park days and 3 day cruise.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We did 4 day cruise into 4 day parks honeymoon at WDW. It was great, but looking back I'd reverse it and do the parks first then relax and recover on the cruise.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
3 days is plenty for Disneyland / DCA yeah?

We’ve never been and booked an impromptu trip December 7th, 8th and 9th. We’ve been to Disney world twice. I’m excited to visit a “less busy” park and see some of the original rides.

Anything we should know about DL? We’re staying off site at a Marriott which is about 15-20 minute walk from the park.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Disappointing Pie posted:

3 days is plenty for Disneyland / DCA yeah?

We’ve never been and booked an impromptu trip December 7th, 8th and 9th. We’ve been to Disney world twice. I’m excited to visit a “less busy” park and see some of the original rides.

Anything we should know about DL? We’re staying off site at a Marriott which is about 15-20 minute walk from the park.

Should be plenty of time, make sure you get LL for RSR because the lines for that can get loooong. December is definitely not not busy.

Also I'd say plan on getting bus passes because walking a mile-plus back to your hotel room is a lot less novel after being at the park all day.

e: oh, and yes it will be chilly after sundown so keep that in mind when you pack

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Took my 6 year old son on Guardians and he fully bought the pre-show.

"Are we going to come back from space?"
"This line is taking a long time that portal is going to close"

🥺

Then in runaway railway a 12-year old or so girl got to the movie premiere and asked the CM "Wait, aren't we going to go on the ride?" to which he replied "Ride? The rides are out there in the rest of the park this is the world premiere of mickey and minnie's new movie" and her face when the hole blows in the screen and goofy invites everyone into the cartoon world was too funny. Her dad was a dick though, he tells her "See? Ask a stupid question and you get a stupid answer." I bet those CMs see that a hundred times a day and it never gets old.

Oh and respiratory disease update, everyone everywhere is coughing, especially little kids. The cheerleading competition at coronado had to cancel events because, of course, too many people got sick.