Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

wilderthanmild posted:

Ron Rivera is only 3 years removed from his last playoff appearance, has taken 1 team to the super bowl, and has a winning record over his career, though he could have a just barely losing one if he goes 0-5 to end the season. Given all of that I think he'd still be near the top of a lot of lists for head coach vacancies this off season assuming he gets fired and also doesn't retire.

Tbh I wouldn't put it past Tepper to bring him back in once Reich is gone and if he's available.

"Hey everyone, remember when the Panthers were good???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I could see Rivera working out on the Bears but only if he somehow got a really good offensive coordinator (who won't be poached immediately to head coach another team).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

I could see Rivera working out on the Bears but only if he somehow got a really good offensive coordinator (who won't be poached immediately to head coach another team).

I am so angry at you for this i can barely even type

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I suppose I could be more careful about potentially speaking things into reality.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

SKULL.GIF posted:

So Bears HC: Ron Rivera OC: Josh McDaniels

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Q_res posted:

I will see you all in temecula

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

McCoy was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Lynn was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Staley was given a 4 year deal and has coached.... 3 years.

I suppose what they've done can technically be called "coaching".

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Q_res posted:

GM: Bill Belichick

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

a neat cape posted:

McCoy was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Lynn was given a 4 year deal and coached 4 years.

Staley was given a 4 year deal and has coached.... 3 years.

On the bright? side this in theory makes the job more appealing if you're a hot hire candidate. Spanos can rightly claim he's always given his coaches the full time to build a team and never fired them at the first sign of trouble.

On the bad side you've wasted over a decade of your life so there is that.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

adaz posted:

On the bright? side this in theory makes the job more appealing if you're a hot hire candidate. Spanos can rightly claim he's always given his coaches the full time to build a team and never fired them at the first sign of trouble.

On the bad side you've wasted over a decade of your life so there is that.

This does not include the SIX years Norv got.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

a neat cape posted:

How many superbowls does phil rivers win if they never fire norv

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rivera and Bienemy run it back in Chicago?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I don't think Ron is coaching again after this

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

adaz posted:

How many superbowls does phil rivers win if they never fire norv

Still 0.

Rivers in 2012 was uh. Really bad.

Mike McCoy and Ken Whisenhunt kinda revitalized him in 2013

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

BlindSite posted:

A team like the chargers makes more sense for Belichick because it's a more complete team. They arguably have a window to make a serious push and their biggest problem has been situational coaching and defense. I could see Belichick going to the chargers and doing what Kubiak did for the Broncos, wasn't necessarily there to build a roster or coach up a team, but there to get them past the poo poo Fox wasn't able to.

They're stuck having to blow up the roster next year, because they'd otherwise have a combined 160 million tied up in Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack, due to restructuring all of their contracts next year. I think the only one who stays is Allen; Bosa, maybe. The other two are goners for sure. Ekeler has a good chance of being gone after this year as well.

They pissed this season away, the moment they decided to keep Staley. They're going to have to rebuild the roster, no matter who the coach who comes in after them is, and I dunno if I would want a 70+ year old Belichick to be the one to do it. That being said, I think Staley is a goner after this year. He's just... loving embarrassing in a way the other coaches weren't. And you can't hide from the media in LA nearly as easily as in San Diego, even for total blundering morons like the Spanoses.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Norv was one of those coordinators who for his time was a little too good and kept getting head coaching jobs. And he was not a good head coach and it was obvious from the start everywhere. But he always lasted for a while. The man was HC for 237 NFL games.

Just sort of a fascinating career to me to ponder.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1728193867340484637?s=20
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1728204438945546715?s=20
https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1728199768265142742?s=20

So Robert Saleh…

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I still do not understand the point of playing Boyle. Like yes you have needed to to do something at QB for weeks but he appears to be one of the very few guys in the NFL who is much worse than Zach. Good job you somehow made the locker room morale implosion even worse

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Docjowles posted:

I still do not understand the point of playing Boyle. Like yes you have needed to to do something at QB for weeks but he appears to be one of the very few guys in the NFL who is much worse than Zach. Good job you somehow made the locker room morale implosion even worse

“Look at how bad the GM is that he considered this guy to be worthy of a roster spot. Fire him, but not me”

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I have to wonder how much power Saleh has between Rodgers, the GM, and the owner all wanting their guys. Saleh definitely has the defense motivated and playing their asses off, but the offense is just horrible.

Or maybe the OL is just that bad, as a Titans fan I can sympathize with that one.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The OL injuries are pretty bad, and if the Jets under Saleh had displayed any offensive competence in prior seasons I would be willing to give them the injury excuse. They didn't though, so I won't. A fully healthy Jets offense is still bottom 10 in the NFL, bottom 5 if we keep the Rodgers injury. The OL injuries are just the difference between mundane bad and all time bad.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Probably"?

https://twitter.com/schadjoe/status/1728455574692692177

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Being forcibly tied to Hackett is probably the funniest sub plot of the Aaron Rodgers saga

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Docjowles posted:

Being forcibly tied to Hackett is probably the funniest sub plot of the Aaron Rodgers saga

Lol Aaron Rodgers is such an organization killer. Like the dude won a super bowl almost 15 years ago and has spent every year since dunking on a terrible NFC North for the Packers to get eliminated at home in their first playoff game by whatever team won the NFC East at 7-9 that year, and he's convinced he's the smartest guy to ever be involved in football.

Now he's 39, has a bigger head than ever, can't even play and he's forcing coaches and GMs to build a staff and roster around his own best interests instead of the team, like he always has.

He's gonna spend a terrible 2-3 years in NYJ forcing them to keep Hackett and forbidding them from rostering any threats to his starting QB position or spending high draft picks on anything but receivers. After a couple 6-11 seasons where (assuming he doesn't get injured) he throws 18 TDs/17 INTs and has a 30 minute highlight reel of screaming at his o-line/coaches, the Jets will finally get sick of his poo poo and cut him.

I heard ayahuasca makes you more of who you really are, and in Rodgers case who he really is a dumb rear end in a top hat. LaFleur must be so glad to be finally rid of him.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
The Adam Sandler movie model of forcing them to hire all of your washed up friends.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

vaginite posted:

Lol Aaron Rodgers is such an organization killer. Like the dude won a super bowl almost 15 years ago and has spent every year since dunking on a terrible NFC North for the Packers to get eliminated at home in their first playoff game by whatever team won the NFC East at 7-9 that year, and he's convinced he's the smartest guy to ever be involved in football.

Now he's 39, has a bigger head than ever, can't even play and he's forcing coaches and GMs to build a staff and roster around his own best interests instead of the team, like he always has.

He's gonna spend a terrible 2-3 years in NYJ forcing them to keep Hackett and forbidding them from rostering any threats to his starting QB position or spending high draft picks on anything but receivers. After a couple 6-11 seasons where (assuming he doesn't get injured) he throws 18 TDs/17 INTs and has a 30 minute highlight reel of screaming at his o-line/coaches, the Jets will finally get sick of his poo poo and cut him.

I heard ayahuasca makes you more of who you really are, and in Rodgers case who he really is a dumb rear end in a top hat. LaFleur must be so glad to be finally rid of him.

I mean I think this is mostly unfair to Rodgers but it is funny how he keeps bringing along his lovely friends

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean I think this is mostly unfair to Rodgers but it is funny how he keeps bringing along his lovely friends

You are the company you keep

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

What gets me is a lot of the disgruntlement from his time in Green Bay was the team didn't draft offensive talent for him. Rodgers goes to another team and hand-picks these guys, the Jets draft defense with their first round pick, and meanwhile Green Bay suddenly look like they have four legit prospects at WR and two at TE.

Maybe it'll be fine when the Jets trade for Bakhtiari and Adams.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

What gets me is a lot of the disgruntlement from his time in Green Bay was the team didn't draft offensive talent for him. Rodgers goes to another team and hand-picks these guys, the Jets draft defense with their first round pick, and meanwhile Green Bay suddenly look like they have four legit prospects at WR and two at TE.

Maybe it'll be fine when the Jets trade for Bakhtiari and Adams.

Garrett Wilson and Adams together would be extremely sick to watch, but if I'm the Raiders I'm demanding Wilson in return for Adams probably

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Packers fans are glad to be rid of Rodgers and his drama. This year is fun just because he is gone.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I doubt Love’s the guy but it’s clear Rodgers was addition by subtraction in Green Bay.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Kirios posted:

I doubt Love’s the guy but it’s clear Rodgers was addition by subtraction in Green Bay.

Well the team is about as bad as it was last year and the offense is probably a little worse so it’s not really addition at all unless you’re talking vibes because I’m sure those are better.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Vibes, yes, and a clear step forward without him.

I don’t get any perception from Packer fans that they miss him - in fact I think a ton of them were done with his antics.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly the Packers offense is following a similar pattern to last year. Started out rough but really started improving as the year went along.

Though it’s honestly much more fun to watch this year rather than last year of watching Rodgers and his risk adverse rear end refusing to throw anything but a sure thing

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Kirios posted:

Vibes, yes, and a clear step forward without him.

I don’t get any perception from Packer fans that they miss him - in fact I think a ton of them were done with his antics.

Pretty easy to not miss someone who isn't even playing this year. I doubt Aaron's ever really going to come back in a meaningful way either, he was looking well-done even before the injury.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Kirios posted:

I was calling for a complete tear down of the Packers front office and coaching staff from the Raiders game until Thanksgiving, and not for one second did I ever think, “if only we kept Aaron Rodgers.” At 39, he’s not the solution to any problem. Sure, he’s a better QB than Zach Wilson, but it wouldn’t surprise me if Rodgers can’t even finish a game without getting injured anymore.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Honestly the funniest part of this whole thing is Aaron pretending he could come back from an Achilles in 3 loving months and the front office being like "yeah sure, we trust your judgment."

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

vaginite posted:

The Jets are in such an awkward spot, because they pretty much have to fire Joe Douglas at the end of this year, but any new GM they bring on will be stuck with Saleh/Hackett until Rodgers retires or they have to find a coach who is cool with Hackett staying onboard.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Shrimpy posted:

The Jets are in such an awkward spot, because they pretty much have to fire Joe Douglas at the end of this year, but any new GM they bring on will be stuck with Saleh/Hackett until Rodgers retires or they have to find a coach who is cool with Hackett staying onboard.

Just do it like GB did—have a HC who calls the offensive plays and then Hackett can be “OC”/aaron’s friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Shrimpy posted:

Sounds like it buys the new GM a few free years at the outset, the ol "I didn't hire that coach / pick that QB" gambit