Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Danzel Glovington posted:

And in the Evil Morty episode we heard Rick Prime talk to regular Morty like he was his original grandson. Does that mean Rick Primes dimension is now Cronenberged?

Yes. That's why Prime met Cronenberg-world Jerry in that one episode Rick forced everyone back to their original dimension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Nephthys posted:

That's essentially what they were going to do at the end, just synthesise the spaghetti so no one has to die to make it. I assume that at first Rick was just too lazy to do it, it was easier to simply steal a corpse once a week. Then it was about spitefully forcing Morty to come up with bad and horrific solutions instead of the real ethical solution.

Nah, Rick was never going to synthesize the spaghetti. He just wanted to broadcast the dude's life to gross everyone out and make them stop eating it.

Whether he could is another question, but someone pointed out in an earlier episode Beth asks him to synthesize Gloppydrop ice cream and he says it would be a pale imitation of the real thing. So he's probably not big on synthetic foods.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Danzel Glovington posted:

And in the Evil Morty episode we heard Rick Prime talk to regular Morty like he was his original grandson. Does that mean Rick Primes dimension is now Cronenberged?

Yup, this was confirmed in S6E1.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay look, you can't call it Cronenberg dimension because Cronenberg dimension was an already-existing dimension where everyone was cronenburgs from the start. Cronenberg Rick and Cronenberg Morty took a portal to live in the original S1 dimension because they'd accidentally turned everyone on Earth into regular people.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Three solid laughs out of a cold open is pretty good.

Really glad that the mediocre episode 1 for the season seems to be an outlier.
This is the best season in years even if that ep sucked and the spaghetti ep made me feel so sick I've been unable to eat pasta since it aired and will never watch it again.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Don’t look up where real meatballs come from then

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Phenotype posted:

Okay look, you can't call it Cronenberg dimension because Cronenberg dimension was an already-existing dimension where everyone was cronenburgs from the start. Cronenberg Rick and Cronenberg Morty took a portal to live in the original S1 dimension because they'd accidentally turned everyone on Earth into regular people.

That's very true.

On that note, Cronenberg Rick and Cronenberg Morty one million percent got killed and eaten by Jerry, Beth and Summer, right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phenotype posted:

Yeah there's the Cronenberg dimension and a Croneberged Earth

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mr Frundle probably frundled the whole dimension, though, right? Which begs the question if there are multiple frundle dimensions out there, since Rick knew exactly what the lil dude's whole deal was.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean Mr. Frundles has to make physical contact to Frundle something, I don't think it can spread between planets unless he is capable of pulling Earth out of its orbit and even then it would take an infinitely long time for it to move beyond Earth.

He is a planetary threat, not a cosmic one.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean Mr. Frundles has to make physical contact to Frundle something, I don't think it can spread between planets unless he is capable of pulling Earth out of its orbit and even then it would take an infinitely long time for it to move beyond Earth.

He is a planetary threat, not a cosmic one.

If a Mr. Frundles rocket landed on another planet, it's all over.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Clearly there is some anti Mr Frundles tech because the pet container he was in was not also a Mr Frundles.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Remember when that one woman said she had plastic surgery to give herself a third boob? I was like, "fake third boob technology is literally decades old."

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Terrible.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Oh God yes Summer is bi!!!!

Episode was alright, even if the high point was the teleportation gag in the cold open.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Oh God yes Summer is bi!!!!

Episode was alright, even if the high point was the teleportation gag in the cold open.

I thought that was already confirmed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought that was aggressively meh.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Episode was very middle of the road. Had some solid laughs.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I think I liked this more than most because it resolved my megging anxiety

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

that episode was great but maybe that's just cuz i like summer episodes

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I liked it. The Taken/Total Recall mashup was average but it did the job and there were enough moments that made me laugh. Rick and Summer bounce off each other well enough despite both being competent because they're flawed in different ways. And we even got a couple of character development moments (Rick admitting he likes Summer because she reminds him of Diane, Summer confirmed as bi/poly).

Highlights/little laughs for me were probably:

- Summer revealing that Rick and Morty didn't even tell anyone about the battle with Rick Prime
- Rick's protective implants causing Beth to drop red-hot tongs on him, hurting them both
- His argument with his AI about 'dramatic effect'
- Lampshading Summer's sexuality with 'wow, this makes her character so much more interesting now'

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 27, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
The kuato stuff was way more successful than the predator stuff from the season opener imo. But I'm a sucker for kuatos. Never forget you, Tiny Attorney.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I, like Rick, thought the episode was gonna be about the attribute slider and thought an episode of max int, zero everything else Summer and max strength, zero everything else Morty would be fun, but the actual episode was fun enough. Sagged a little in the middle, had a strong ending. I like "bad guy does increasingly contrived reveals to diminishing returns from increasingly confused and over it heroes."

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nice to see Summer doing stuff again. She's fun.

I also liked Rick's little, "I exploit your labor and don't give you free stuff because I respect you too much," bullshit.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Nice to see Summer doing stuff again. She's fun.

I also liked Rick's little, "I exploit your labor and don't give you free stuff because I respect you too much," bullshit.

"Yeah Morty's an easy mark but Rick pays me in cool stuff like... Wolverine claws"

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

jabby posted:

I liked it. The Taken/Total Recall mashup was average but it did the job and there were enough moments that made me laugh. Rick and Summer bounce off each other well enough despite both being competent because they're flawed in different ways. And we even got a couple of character development moments (Rick admitting he likes Summer because she reminds him of Diane, Summer confirmed as bi/poly).

Highlights/little laughs for me were probably:

- Summer revealing that Rick and Morty didn't even tell anyone about the battle with Rick Prime
- Rick's protective implants causing Beth to drop red-hot tongs on him, hurting them both
- His argument with his AI about 'dramatic effect'
- Lampshading Summer's sexuality with 'wow, this makes her character so much more interesting now'
Yeah, Rick telling Summer he likes her because she reminds him of grandma was a genuinely touching moment. It’s good to see Rick talking a little more about her.

Also the teleportation gag in the cold open made me burst out laughing. All that drama just to teleport into the garbage bag in the same room and Morty being unimpressed. And just the timing on Rick saying, “Kick his rear end, Summer!”

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I thought this was a great episode, and I enjoy the show committing even more to its "main plot" being Rick and others getting over their own issues through active work. It kind of reminds me of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend which also is a comedy where that's basically the "big bad".

This was really funny, and it still had lines about this like Rick saying he basically just wasn't comfortable yet talking about killing Prime, and the exchange about Summer and her grandmother. The show hasn't lost any edge, and is treating characters as non-static and with respect.

This season is great, and feels less aimless than certain recent ones. I understand Roiland was still sort of working on the show when it was written (but not in the writing process, just in the voice acting), so I am confident his presence/absence didn't affect this one's quality. I doubt his new formal absence will affect future seasons either.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Besides Rick talking about Diane, his AI openly acknowledged that it? She? Is based on Diane after Rick Prime pointed it out a couple episodes abo. Wonder if that's gonna go anywhere.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I hope not. Rick's bitchy no-stakes relationship with his car is cool, and they shouldn't gently caress it up.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

quato would have hit harder if the prime rick episode didnt have a quato joke.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Mx. posted:

that episode was great but maybe that's just cuz i like summer episodes

yeah I felt like the episode was aggressively mid because I dislike Summer episodes

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think I find quattos as inherently funny as the writers seem to

Albatrossy_Rodent
Oct 6, 2021

Obliteratin' everything,
incineratin' and renegade 'em
I'm here to make anybody who
want it with the pen afraid
But don't nobody want it but
they're gonna get it anyway!

I liked the kuato three kuatos deep promising the reveal of even deeper kuatos, just delightfully stupid, especially the longish sequence of Rick failing to jiggle it off the mech.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sound design on the wet sucking pop out was spectacular.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My favourite joke was the kuato knife.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Laughed too much at the godly Rick hurting his ankle trying to break down a door.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

jabby posted:

Laughed too much at the godly Rick hurting his ankle trying to break down a door.

I did enjoy it more in season 1 and 2 where Rick was just a wacky fuckup mad scientist without omnipotence. Now he’s got inspector gadget deus ex machina for every situation.

But at least they’re making him fallible more occasionally lately.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Usually they're good at putting episodes on amazon when you purchase the season right away. I'm not seeing it? Anyone else having that issue?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think I find quattos as inherently funny as the writers seem to

The club scene suffered the most from this, it really needed some jokes to liven it up. I kept expecting a few of the quattos to hold hands and dance along with their humans or do anything. But the joke was just that there were a bunch of quattos in a club scene.

Once it turned into a Taken joke it got a lot better though and the ending was solid. Just stuff like Summer relaying Morty's criticisms at Rick failing to steer the little walker was good along with the quatto knife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

The club scene suffered the most from this, it really needed some jokes to liven it up. I kept expecting a few of the quattos to hold hands and dance along with their humans or do anything. But the joke was just that there were a bunch of quattos in a club scene.

Yeah, I spent that scene waiting for the other shoe to drop. It was remarkably straightforward for the show, and sort of the moment I realized that the episode was just gonna run this one joke into the ground.