Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

S.D. posted:

I ain’t watching all that

I’m happy for them tho

Or sorry it happened

Probably the second

I felt like I had to watch at least a couple of minutes as due diligence before posting and it does appear to just be a person becoming aware of social dynamics for the first time, except via Limsa Lominsa textbox instead of in school or the workplace or whatever the normies who put stock in body language do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

hopeandjoy posted:

Since I doubt they’re going to want to make a whole new base body or use the male roe body, Hrothgals are 100% going to be fuzzy femroes with a lioness head.

Just give them a calico skin option and call it a day.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Alright, I have a couple questions that I didn't see covered in the (very nice!) OP. Firstly, this information is remarkably hard to find: What *exactly* is the deal with account/character transfers? I know the game used to be just the launcher, then there was a Steam version but they were entirely separate and you couldn't transfer them, and then in early 2022 they introduced "account linking" but I'll be damned if I can figure out what exactly that entails after visiting a couple of sites - I'm sure it's quite obvious if you're familiar with their standard phrasings, but "To link accounts, the Steam account must possess a FINAL FANTASY XIV license that matches that found on the target Square Enix account/FINAL FANTASY XIV service account" doesn't convey as much information as I'm sure they were hoping. I have a character from a few years back that I played for a while, non-Steam, and I wouldn't want to give that progress up, but I have a good friend who'll probably be playing the Steam version.

Second, where's a good resource for controller play? I find it way more comfortable, but the settings for manipulating UI are slightly obtuse, so I'd like to get a handle on good practices.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

John Lee posted:

Second, where's a good resource for controller play? I find it way more comfortable, but the settings for manipulating UI are slightly obtuse, so I'd like to get a handle on good practices.

I don't have a resource but I do play controller exclusively and despite the game (almost) being on both consoles it's very, very manual. All of the settings are obtuse and weirdly named, and the defaults are terrible. You can make it work if you stick at it though, just be aware that you'll probably end up getting into third-party mods as you approach turning it into a fully playable videogame. Also just for making the login process hands-off.

Off the top of my head, turn on all the extended cross hotbars, set your 'both back triggers at once' hotbars to shared, use the double tap for extra class skills (every job has just slightly too many functions to fit onto one 16 slot cross, even with the combo plugin that shaves down redundancy) and make sure sprint/teleport/mount and other basic functions are either macro'd to a stick press or on one of the shared bars so you don't have to keep remaking the wheel every time you switch class. Legacy camera is preferable to give you equally free movement in all directions, with the new disable pivot option enabled if you are even a little bit prone to motion sickness. Turn off the look at target option as well if you don't like the game wrenching your camera to whatever you've clicked on. In System Settings, turn down the stick sensitivity (they meant deadzone) to as low as you can go without stick drift, it'll camera movement feel more responsive. Turn on switch to first person when zoomed in all the way. Your left front bumper is the modifier that leads to a lot of extra functions when used with other buttons (or the sticks).

Overall controller feels great when you dial it in but it does tend to highlight the game's limitations as an aging MMO, even when you strip out enough crust to have it looking like a passable third person game from this decade.

Super Foul Egg fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 25, 2023

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

In contrast, I like my hold R2 -> L2 and hold L2 -> R2 option to have my extra class skills and the double tap to have my shared bar, because I am very bad at doing the double tap quickly. :v:

I’m also not sure I understand your concerns about Steam vs non-Steam. The game is cross platform. You’ll be able to play just fine with your Steam friend. Just make sure you download the non-Steam version when you start to play again.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

hopeandjoy posted:

In contrast, I like my hold R2 -> L2 and hold L2 -> R2 option to have my extra class skills and the double tap to have my shared bar, because I am very bad at doing the double tap quickly. :v:

I’m also not sure I understand your concerns about Steam vs non-Steam. The game is cross platform. You’ll be able to play just fine with your Steam friend. Just make sure you download the non-Steam version when you start to play again.

It's not a pleasant motion, especially on back triggers since they're usually spongy and have lots of flex. But I'm a forever casual anyway, and would rather have convenient overworld functions than trying to make the MMO equivalent of completing Dark Souls with a guitar controller happen.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I mean I can’t say my index fingers don’t hurt like hell after playing a lot of combat but I’d be spending a lot of time holding down the triggers anyway. As I said, I’m bad enough at getting the double tap to activate right when I’m in a panic because I have Sprint on it. I can’t imagine having multiple skills I need to activate in a timely manner on there.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

John Lee posted:

There's a controller guide linked in the second post but it's easy to gloss over it with the amount of stuff in the first few posts https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3973448&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post516241905

Bruceski posted:

I'll just be happy if they're proper catmoms instead of au ra levels of gender differentiation.
There's in-game art of fem Hroth in post-ShB so I assume they'll be sticking with that. They're a little shorter than fem Roe in the art. Fem Roe height range is 6'3" to 7'3" while male Hroth is 6'5" to 6'11"; something like 6'0" to 6'10" is what I'd guess for fem Hroth

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Thanks for the controller tips, y'all.

hopeandjoy posted:

Oh, word? I was told that it wasn't when the Steam version first released. Cool, cool.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

John Lee posted:

Alright, I have a couple questions that I didn't see covered in the (very nice!) OP. Firstly, this information is remarkably hard to find: What *exactly* is the deal with account/character transfers? I know the game used to be just the launcher, then there was a Steam version but they were entirely separate and you couldn't transfer them, and then in early 2022 they introduced "account linking" but I'll be damned if I can figure out what exactly that entails after visiting a couple of sites - I'm sure it's quite obvious if you're familiar with their standard phrasings, but "To link accounts, the Steam account must possess a FINAL FANTASY XIV license that matches that found on the target Square Enix account/FINAL FANTASY XIV service account" doesn't convey as much information as I'm sure they were hoping. I have a character from a few years back that I played for a while, non-Steam, and I wouldn't want to give that progress up, but I have a good friend who'll probably be playing the Steam version.

hopeandjoy posted:

John Lee posted:

Oh, word? I was told that it wasn't when the Steam version first released. Cool, cool.

re Steam and FFXIV Service Accounts

If you originally linked a standalone PC (not-Steam) license of the game to your FFXIV service account then you will not be able to access that service account after launching thru Steam.

If you originally linked a Steam license to your FFXIV service account then you will not be able to access that service account from a standalone PC version of the game

Once your Steam account and FFXIV service accounts are linked then that FFXIV service account can only be accessed (on PC) via that Steam account and that Steam account can only be used to log into that specific FFXIV service account. A one-to-one relationship between your Steam and FFXIV service accounts is created and must match to launch the game

None of this affects who you can play with, it's just that a given FFXIV service account cannot be linked to both a Steam and non-Steam PC license; They are mutually exclusive. Other platform licenses, like Playstation, can be mixed in just fine.

e - characters can/will not be transferred between service accounts so if you wanna keep your originals then you gotta go with whatever license type your original service account is linked to

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Nov 25, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I play exclusively on controller and I only use hold (and extended bars) on healers. On dps and tanks I use mixed (to still have access to RT+LT bar) since gently caress holding down RT all the time. The downside is, it does require the combo and queable macro addons on all jobs except for summoner.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

John Lee posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q_i5_X01hecbCOZOIN_71zceuSjWSuaN-OJdU6ZPV6s/edit

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The ugly character situation is for the most part resolved! I avoided ending up as a bunnyboy, but conceded a trip to the aesthetician to get a glow up. Was also given some new clothes to wear.

I'm now allowed into the house!

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Necrothatcher posted:

The ugly character situation is for the most part resolved! I avoided ending up as a bunnyboy, but conceded a trip to the aesthetician to get a glow up. Was also given some new clothes to wear.

Your girlfriend was right, that is a much better look. Do kinda miss the face tats tho.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I love a happy ending. :qq:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

To be fair, the Anemos jacket is a very good glam item. At least I think that's the Anemos jacket, anyway. Your character was never ugly though, just poorly dressed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I really could do with making the OP better one of these days.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necrothatcher posted:

The ugly character situation is for the most part resolved!

This is rough and tuff. Well done!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Necrothatcher posted:

All you need now is the /lean emote so you can brood on the wall.

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

Necrothatcher posted:

I second missing the face tattoo but the hair is good and the outfit looks very nice, cannot go wrong with some of the universal (level 1) glam items. Most things beat the ARR gear though.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm currently at level 77 of ShB (Ryne just got her name) and I have a lore question:

When exactly do we learn that the Source is broken up into the 12 other planets/dimensions/realms? The earliest I can think of is in the post-HW patches, because the Warriors of Darkness talk about it and eventually Minfillia leaves with them, but was that the big reveal?

I bounced off of the ARR MSQ multiple times, so my knowledge of that plot is somewhat scattered and I may have missed something.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm currently at level 77 of ShB (Ryne just got her name) and I have a lore question:

When exactly do we learn that the Source is broken up into the 12 other planets/dimensions/realms? The earliest I can think of is in the post-HW patches, because the Warriors of Darkness talk about it and eventually Minfillia leaves with them, but was that the big reveal?

I bounced off of the ARR MSQ multiple times, so my knowledge of that plot is somewhat scattered and I may have missed something.
I feel like I remember Lahabrea and Igeyorhm talking about how the Void is actually the Thirteenth during their fight at the end of Heavensward?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

half a kumquat posted:

I second missing the face tattoo but the hair is good and the outfit looks very nice, cannot go wrong with some of the universal (level 1) glam items. Most things beat the ARR gear though.

I'll chime in here and say that some of the drops from Aurum Vale are great for a punk aesthetic. The boots and gloves here are both Aurum drops and are fantastic. And of course the Pince-Nez from Dzemael Darkhold.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Pinwiz11 posted:

I know in the conversation you have with the warriors of darkness post-Xelphatol, they go "you know about the shards, right" and Alphinaud goes "yeah". I think at least Sharlayans, being educated weirdos, know about the shards and all that. I don't remember ARR well enough to pin down when/if that gets explained. I know Urianger read some crazy prophecies that talked about the shards at least.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 26, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If nothing else I remember the Ascians monologue at you about it so seconding probably ARR to HW it being mentioned. It's even worked into song lyrics for a later fight. They're like "Yeah, we push the shards to elemental imbalance to force the rejoining. We broke the 13th, that's beyond even our paygrade now, but oh well, Hail Zodiark."

half a kumquat
Mar 14, 2018

Warmachine posted:

I'll chime in here and say that some of the drops from Aurum Vale are great for a punk aesthetic. The boots and gloves here are both Aurum drops and are fantastic. And of course the Pince-Nez from Dzemael Darkhold.

Those are basically the only ARR items I still have in my glam dresser, so I can only second this. There's one or two other items that I like the simplicity of to combine with more flashy stuff, but that's about it. Most ARR gear just looks blatantly "early levelling gear", but given enough time and creativity, there is definitely stuff that can shine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Most the basic tank cuirasses and the Cobalt-plated Jackboots are good for certain types of understated glams, too. I think they'll especially shine once dual dye channels are introduced, though whether they'll be propagated to ARR stuff first is another question.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Necrothatcher posted:

That’s a hella good look. Good job!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Anemos Jacket hard carried my glam setup all the way through Shadowbringers, glad it's working out for you too! if you want some scruffier-looking pants, the Peacelover's Pantaloons with a dark dye are a good option for distressed jeans. Though I'd recommend pairing them with boots that hide the bellbottoms. Urban/Rebel Boots are a good choice if you can convince your girlfriend to spring for them.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I just got my chocobo to rank 20 so it's time to give it a favorite food that isn't the exp buff and I'm torn between Sylkis (DPS buff) and Mimett (Healing buff). I like the idea of completing FATEs faster with the DPS bonus, then again there's nothing that slows a FATE down quite like dying. Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

God Hole posted:

I just got my chocobo to rank 20 so it's time to give it a favorite food that isn't the exp buff and I'm torn between Sylkis (DPS buff) and Mimett (Healing buff). I like the idea of completing FATEs faster with the DPS bonus, then again there's nothing that slows a FATE down quite like dying. Anyone have any strong feelings one way or the other?
I went for damage because if I want more healing during a FATE then I play Warrior instead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I always say silkis, personally. Damage means more mitigation.

If you're getting hit too hard, switch your bird to tank stance and let it take a few whacks.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

God Hole posted:

100% Mimett. Chocobo damage is pitiful no matter what you do - it's less than half of a tank's dps - so it's better to have it act in a purely supporting role. As you.can see from this dps test the buff Silkis Buds give is pretty tiny. On the other hand, a Mimett Gourd can mean the difference between life and death since there's plenty of times when my Chocobo's healing was juuuuuust short of sustaining me.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I didn't even realize that favorite food thing existed (I've never stabled and trained my bird). How long does the buff last?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GilliamYaeger posted:

100% Mimett. Chocobo damage is pitiful no matter what you do - it's less than half of a tank's dps - so it's better to have it act in a purely supporting role. As you.can see from this dps test the buff Silkis Buds give is pretty tiny. On the other hand, a Mimett Gourd can mean the difference between life and death since there's plenty of times when my Chocobo's healing was juuuuuust short of sustaining me.

Those numbers are old so they look small. The rank one numbers show an 18% DPS increase for attack +2 at rank 1 and it's 12% at rank 20. That's not nothing.

e2: just did a little fooling around, and attack +2 is a 12%-14% dps increase for me. rank 20 level 90 chocobo ~1600 dps single target with attack +2 in attack mode and ~1400 without. Free stance was 1320 with and 1180 without.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 4, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Those numbers are old so they look small. The rank one numbers show an 18% DPS increase for attack +2 at rank 1 and it's 12% at rank 20. That's not nothing.
Doing a quick test on a level 80 boss fate (so the DPS comparison isn't skewed by unsynched gear) my Warrior was doing 4000 dps and my rank 20 chocobo in attacker stance (meaning no healing at all) was doing about 1250 dps. Silkis would increase that to 1400.

Again, that's a miniscule DPS increase. In every situation where I'm not playing a tank - which is probably never while doing FATEs since levelling via dungeons is way faster - I'd much rather have the better healing.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Schwartzcough posted:

I didn't even realize that favorite food thing existed (I've never stabled and trained my bird). How long does the buff last?

You establish a favorite food by feeding/training it with the food 10 times in a row with an hour cooldown each time (e: while it's stabled). After you feed it the food in the field, the buff lasts as long as your bird is out. If it dies, it withdraws, or you log out then the buff goes away

yeah those DPS buff numbers aren't really wowing me, I think I'll go with the healing buff. I'm a BLM main so I think that's a good match considering I'm putting out big numbers anyway and have like no innate mitigation. I appreciate you both taking the time to run some experiments for this

God Hole fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 5, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
As a BLM the tank stance is probably the most useful with swaps to healing or free if it gets low. When I’m playing a dps I set it to tank stance to get an aggro lead and then swap to free or heal depending on the damage it’s taking.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Unless they drastically changed things, chocobo tank stance is absolutely worthless and can't hold threat over a few shots from a healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It certainly doesn't have the dedicated emnity gain that a real tank does in any case. It doesn't have a tank stance so it only really gains emnity on using moves and not its auto attacks.