Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

spacetoaster posted:

acab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp-KMTW2YKU

Don't watch if you don't want your blood pressure to spike.

Basically two cops get mad that homeless man didn't instantly lick their boots so they beat him and kill his service dog.

An actual trained service dog. Saying that it bit them. From several feet away. Gross.

That channel is pretty good about not showing stuff, but I don't think I'm going to risk the potential psychic damage of watching the video. I did snag the text of the linked article:

quote:

A homeless military veteran whose service dog was tased by North Carolina police officers and later died has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit. 

Reason reported in 2021 on the case of Joshua Rohrer, who was arrested by two police officers in Gastonia, North Carolina, for panhandling after a 911 caller complained that he was "using this dog to make people feel sorry for [him]." When Rohrer argued that he wasn't doing anything illegal, the officers tackled him and tased his service dog, Sunshine. Sunshine ran away and was later hit by a car.

"They laughed at me," Rohrer told Army Times, recounting the officers' reaction to his distress.

Prosecutors later dropped charges against Rohrer for panhandling and resisting arrest. Now Rohrer, who has service-related post-traumatic stress disorder, is suing, arguing that the violent arrest violated his First and Fourth Amendment rights, as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act.

In addition, the suit alleges that the Gastonia Police Department and city officials made hundreds of false and defamatory comments on Facebook about Rohrer in retaliation for speaking out following his arrest. For example, the police department repeatedly posted that Rohrer had agreed to take a plea deal before the charges were dropped. The suit argues that by posting about Rohrer's plea deal, which ultimately never happened, the department not only smeared Rohrer as guilty but also accessed and published details from his sealed case file.

"The daily barrage and high volume of these posts, the specific targeting of Mr. Rohrer, and the fact that they reveal confidential information demonstrate a pattern of harassment that would chill a reasonable person from exercising their First Amendment rights," the suit reads.

The lawsuit seeks punitive and compensatory damages, as well as an injunction against the city's panhandling ordinance, which it argues is facially unconstitutional under the First Amendment.

Towns frequently use overly broad panhandling ordinances to crack down on begging and roust homeless people, despite numerous court decisions upholding a general First Amendment right to ask others for money in a public space. For example, earlier this year the Foundation for Individual Rights and Expression (FIRE), a First Amendment nonprofit, filed a lawsuit on behalf of a man who was harassed by police for holding a sign that read, "God Bless Homeless Vets."

In one of the many Facebook posts about Rohrer's case, the Gastonia Police Department wondered: "If this is such a clear violation against the Constitution and civil rights, there should have been several attorneys willing to take this case pro-bono right? But yet, that hasn't happened. Perhaps you should ask Mr. Rohrer why [he] hasn't pursued anything further."

The department now has its answer. Rohrer is represented by the Guidry law firm and by the Institute for Constitutional Advocacy and Protection (ICAP) at Georgetown University.

"Mr. Rohrer has been—and continues to be—targeted by the Gastonia police for his constitutionally protected speech, from standing on a median accepting donations from passersby to protesting government misconduct and calling for accountability in the wake of his arrest," ICAP senior counsel Joseph Mead said in a press release. "This case is about ensuring that even members of the most vulnerable populations in our society—including people with disabilities or without housing—will be protected from government overreach and retaliation."

A spokesperson for the City of Gastonia declined to comment, citing the pending litigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
That is so loving vile, and I hope the rear end in a top hat who called 911 to report panhandling has concerned citizens monitoring them to protect public safety too

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

Horror_Business posted:

That channel is pretty good about not showing stuff, but I don't think I'm going to risk the potential psychic damage of watching the video. I did snag the text of the linked article:
I watched it. Cops getting increasingly annoyed by how smart the homeless guy is, very obviously harmless dog. Between that and the Facebook post it's pretty clear this police department did maximum loving around because they've never found out before and they're very much surprised as a result.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Coolness Averted posted:

That is so loving vile, and I hope the rear end in a top hat who called 911 to report panhandling has concerned citizens monitoring them to protect public safety too

Once, I got a flat tire and pulled over into the parking lot of an apartment complex to address the situation. Some fuckin blue hair called the cops on me. They arrived and we had a pleasant conversation about how I wasn't in the parking lot by choice. We all had a laugh. But that situation could've gone very differently. I could've been killed by those fun cops, and nothing would've happened to them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Calling the cops on someone with a flat tire I mean what kind of Oceans 11 poo poo was I planning??

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I've seen quite a few on Audit the Audit where some busybody calls the cops on a random homeless person, person obviously working on a car, or just walking through. Cops escalate these non-situations at least 3/4ths of the time. Completely unsurprising, but people need to mind their own business instead of putting people needlessly into potentially life-threatening situations.

E: I've also had a cop roll up on me while changing a tire and while walking at night. No idea if anyone called though.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

spacetoaster posted:

acab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp-KMTW2YKU

Don't watch if you don't want your blood pressure to spike.

Basically two cops get mad that homeless man didn't instantly lick their boots so they beat him and kill his service dog.

An actual trained service dog. Saying that it bit them. From several feet away. Gross.

drat that's a rough watch, the dumb pigs (and city:yikes:) gloat on social media, and that's the only reason the one got a slap on the wrist 3 day suspension. may everything unpleasant in life happen to them thrice over :acab:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Edit the audit is a very good channel, but I know every time I watch one of his videos I'm about to be pissed off for days.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

Yeah they strike a really good balance of presenting the facts without being intentionally inflammatory or sensationalizing. I know if I watch that particular one I'm going to be bummed for a few days, but I do appreciate them bringing in the aftermath and citing applicable laws and court decisions.

I wish I got some catharsis from the occasional cop actually facing consequences, but it's all so unpredictable and things aren't getting any better even with cops caught dead to rights violating people.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

Horror_Business posted:

Yeah they strike a really good balance of presenting the facts without being intentionally inflammatory or sensationalizing. I know if I watch that particular one I'm going to be bummed for a few days, but I do appreciate them bringing in the aftermath and citing applicable laws and court decisions.

I wish I got some catharsis from the occasional cop actually facing consequences, but it's all so unpredictable and things aren't getting any better even with cops caught dead to rights violating people.

yeah, it's hard to find any comfort when convicted shitbags like chauvin get even the chance to try and get their convictions overturned
https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-supreme-court-rejects-ex-cop-chauvins-appeal-george-floyd-murder-2023-11-20/

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
every picture of that dude looks like he's trying to say "okay, so here's what happened..."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

500excf type r posted:

Marshfield mass police broadsided a car with an mrap and killed a 79 year old woman

"In a statement, the DA’s office said, “Preliminarily, it appears the operator of the red Subaru Forrester turned left in front of the tan motor vehicle and contact was made between the two vehicles...The Marshfield Police vehicle operator was not responding to a call at the time of the crash.”"

This is me when I ran into the police van as a teenager, only I didn't actually get hurt.

My car's entire front folded up, while the police van didn't have a scratch on it. The driver tried to sue me for pain and suffering even though his van literally didn't move when I bounced off of it.

Fortunately there was apparently inter-police drama and the other cop who came to the scene didn't like the cop I hit, so they supported my case and the lawsuit was never filed (or dropped after being filed, I forget).

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Maybe if he complied this wouldn't have happened

https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-george-floyd-prison-stabbing-f24cde6aa28877d034530c2dc40ef7ea

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

after reading this from the article above

quote:

Separately, Chauvin in December 2021 pleaded guilty in federal court to charges that he violated Floyd's civil rights. Chauvin on Nov. 13 filed a motion seeking to overturn that conviction based on what he claims is new evidence showing that Floyd's death resulted from an underlying medical condition.

maybe he just had an underlying medical condition that makes him prone to stab wounds

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Lol I was about to post that. I know someone who works for that hospital. He was stabbed multiple times in the back and neck. Unfortunately, he came in conscious.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

What took so long

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap

:woop: :hellyeah: :woop:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Honky Mao posted:

What took so long

They wanted him to exhaust his appeals options so he’d be at his lowest.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

That convicted murderer was no angel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I don’t want to hear excuses. He had contact with a lot of criminals, and when you hang around bad people, bad stuff happens.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hope that he’s set up well with commissary funds.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Platystemon posted:

I hope that he’s set up well with commissary funds.

i had a buddy that was in federal lock-up until this fall. i sent him some commissary money last year for christmas and it was more of a pain in the rear end than i would have expected as i had to mail a check (or money order? I think it was a money order) to des moines with all his info and they let the people in california know that inmate # whatever had money added.

the good news is at least there wasn't some private third party taking a 25% commission or some poo poo, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to put money on someone's account in the federal system. i guess, i hope the stabby guy's benefactors don't mind going to the post office for a money order and poo poo

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Eat This Glob posted:

i had a buddy that was in federal lock-up until this fall. i sent him some commissary money last year for christmas and it was more of a pain in the rear end than i would have expected as i had to mail a check (or money order? I think it was a money order) to des moines with all his info and they let the people in california know that inmate # whatever had money added.

the good news is at least there wasn't some private third party taking a 25% commission or some poo poo, but it's kind of a pain in the rear end to put money on someone's account in the federal system. i guess, i hope the stabby guy's benefactors don't mind going to the post office for a money order and poo poo
Gotta say, it really surprises me that commissary doesn't have a 3rd party middleman skimming a processing fee. Maybe because there's actual liability in handling the cash vs just replacing access to books or inserting your company into visitation and phonecalls.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/johnny-hollman-atlanta-police-taser-death-custody

edited for news article instead of traffic stop video

electrocuted to death for not signing a ticket in the street after a minor traffic accident

gently caress this dog poo poo mickey mouse fascist bullshit country holy hell

smarxist has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Nov 26, 2023

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Coolness Averted posted:

Gotta say, it really surprises me that commissary doesn't have a 3rd party middleman skimming a processing fee. Maybe because there's actual liability in handling the cash vs just replacing access to books or inserting your company into visitation and phonecalls.

right? even more surprising was his facility had free phone calls for the duration of at least the covid pandemic. i was shocked that the feds running their own facility hadn't had any third parties leech on yet to extract profit everywhere they could. my buddy sent me a copy of the commissary list and things weren't super cheap, but they weren't being gouged in the way that i thought they would be

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Eat This Glob posted:

right? even more surprising was his facility had free phone calls for the duration of at least the covid pandemic. i was shocked that the feds running their own facility hadn't had any third parties leech on yet to extract profit everywhere they could. my buddy sent me a copy of the commissary list and things weren't super cheap, but they weren't being gouged in the way that i thought they would be

the federal prison system is generally stricter but way less capricious than all the states. it also only houses a single digit % of all the people in our prison country. it kind of mirrors how the FBI is evil and should be abolished but also federalizing all policing would definitely be a huge improvement

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Essentially the criminal justice system is a religious system. The most important component is belief. Places where crime happens are hotspots of spiritual pollution. Positioning a few "priests" AKA cop cars around the area allows the pollution to be washed away. Criminal trials are purification rituals. Some large crime has occured and the spiritual stain has spread across the community. Finding someone guilty and subjecting them to a harsh punishment is like burning sage. If your bike is stolen, you are upset, your whole world has been upended. Therefore, you call the priests. They have you perform ritual actions, such as providing a formal statement. They also, ritualistically, promise to do their best, while managing your expectations. These rites being performed, your spirit has been placated. You can go on with your life. The function of the police is to make you, a certain yous, feel better.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Also priests are not capable of committing crimes because they are priests. If you report a priest for committing a crime you have committed the crime of blasphemy. The vatican will handle this matter internally.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://x.com/_maxgranger/status/1614450397359538176?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they're just cooling off because of their lack of sweat glands.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/COdendahl/status/1611099528467193856

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Officer down!
https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/1731855993905066074

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A building was damaged in a rapid expansion of gases in which officers were present

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not entirely sure how, but i'm still going to say it is the cops' fault.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm not entirely sure how, but i'm still going to say it is the cops' fault.

if they hadn't approached the house, nobody would have had any reason to blow it up

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

if they hadn't approached the house, nobody would have had any reason to blow it up

:haibrow:

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
did they throw a smoke grenade into a meth brewery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
holy poo poo that is an explosion