Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Non Compos Mentis posted:

why cant they just transfer the guy to a prison and let him spend the rest of his days there instead of the detention centre hes in?

Because they don't want to end indefinite torture detention of refugees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

why cant they just transfer the guy to a prison and let him spend the rest of his days there instead of the detention centre hes in?

Because they can't circumvent the courts -that- overtly and directly by sending people to actual prison, but immigration detention that totally isn't prison doesn't count.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Because this guy already served the sentence for the crime he was charged and convicted for and the sentence wasn't "death".

If he was Australian born he'd have been free years ago, this ruling struck down the idea that when you want to deport someone but can't an alternative is just throwing them in a box for the rest of their natural lives without charge.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EoinCannon posted:

He seems like he's right about some things, not super easy to listen to though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6BYzLIqKB8&t=8s

e: video is directed at Jordies, just to be clear, lol

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cleiv planner going well

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/103136846

quote:

Mining magnate and property tycoon Clive Palmer has lost a more than three-year legal battle with the Gold Coast City Council, which would have seen 3,000 new dwellings built (on a flood plain) next to a sewage treatment plant.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Eediot Jedi posted:

Cleiv planner going well

I bet there is a Gold Coast real estate salesman happily saling his yacht around the Witsundays on the back of that "investment".

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-22/reserve-bank-michele-bullock-australian-business-economists-spee/103137970

It's great that we finally have our first female RBA governor. Unfortunately they are still a loving economist.

quote:

"Hairdressers and dentists, dining out, sporting and other recreational activities – the prices of all these services are rising strongly," she noted.

So don't cut your hair, fix your teeth, or get fit you wasterals! You're loving up our entire economy!

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cartoon posted:

So don't cut your hair, fix your teeth, or get fit you wasterals! You're loving up our entire economy!

Rickety Cricket saves the economy.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Anti-vaxxers are winning local elections across Western Australia

quote:

Candidates backed by an anti-vaccine, conspiracy theory-promoting group have been elected to councils across Western Australia after last month’s election following campaigns in which they played down or hid their fringe beliefs.

The group, run by the founder of the federal Family First party and his former property mogul wife, encouraged group members to campaign on more electable issues and to use councils as a springboard to state and federal politics.

Stand Up Now Australia is a group run by husband and wife duo Peter Harris and Ruby Janssen that purports to “inform and empower individuals, connect like-minded people, create change in the world and stand up”.

Born of the COVID-19 pandemic, the group started as a primarily anti-vaccine and anti-lockdown group which a Crikey investigation revealed was behind a group of online anti-Dan Andrews groups. Since then, Stand Up Now Australia has morphed into a broadly conspiratorial and anti-institutional sovereign citizen movement. Some of its recent campaigns include opposing an Indigenous Voice to Parliament, Australia’s proposed digital ID system and the World Health Organisation’s international health regulations.

One of its initiatives is the Community Connect program that encourages group members to establish local pods to, in Harris’ words, “draw other members of the community into the program”. Part of this includes running for local politics — a plan that has had early success.

Harris told a Zoom meeting of his group earlier this month that 11 people who were part of their Community Connect scheme had been elected to various WA regional councils at the state’s local government elections held on Saturday, 21 October. The meeting included a number of recently elected councillors including Shire of Augusta Margaret River’s Nicki Jones, City of Joondalup’s Rebecca Pizzey, City of Busselton’s Jarrod Kennedy and City of Karratha’s Brenton Johannsen.

Other names mentioned as being sympathetic to their movement but not present were City of Geraldton’s Aaron Horsman, who declined to comment; Busselton’s Anne Ryan, who agreed with Crikey’s characterisation that she was anti-vaccine but noted “the difference between a conspiracy theory and the truth [is] six weeks”; along with a handful of other candidates who didn’t respond for requests for comment. Harris said in an email over the weekend that this number had grown to 20 but Crikey was not able to independently verify this number.

These candidates did not highlight or campaign on their fringe beliefs. Echoing an idea floated by Harris when he first launched the program months ago, Pizzey said that she’d been elected on a platform of opposing the council’s use of glyphosate, a popular herbicide that’s the subject of lawsuits or bans around the world (including in Australia) over claims it causes cancer.

“[My campaign had] nothing to do with ‘freedom stuff’”, Pizzey said in the Zoom meeting, referring to the anti-vaccine, anti-mandate “freedom movement” that emerged in Australia during the pandemic.

Jones spoke of a similar strategy. “I knew to keep my mouth shut when it was needed,” she said.

Despite this, those present spoke about how their movement needed their new position-holders to act on their extreme views. One meeting attendee, Peterine Smulders, spoke about how a similar local conspiracy franchise group My Place was also targeting next year’s 2024 Victorian local government elections.

“This is where they’re deciding things like 15 Minute Cities and Drag Queen Storytime,” she argued.

In some councils, the group claims to have established a serious presence. Kennedy claimed that there are “three of us, maybe four” on the City of Busselton’s nine-member council.

“Those kinds of blocs become very influential,” Harris chimed in.

The appeal of local governments, Harris argued, is that they allow insurgent groups like Stand Up Now Australia to subvert the party-entrenched higher levels of government. He said that he believed his group was tapping into an anti-institutional sentiment that is widely felt, even mentioning a phone call with former Liberal Party federal president and campaign director Brian Loughnane expressing the same view.

With an eye to repeat this success at next year’s local government elections along Australia’s east coast, Harris’ hopes for the recently elected councillors go beyond just local politics.

“It’s always been a platform to state and federal governments,” Harris said. “I think it’s great for Australia that you’re populating local council chambers.”

Good thing we're not vigorously examining the machine behind this kind of fuckery.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

That seemed like vigorously investigating what's behind that particular fuckery including solid proof to me.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

That seemed like vigorously investigating what's behind that particular fuckery including solid proof to me.

No it's still pretty much a surface-level analysis, it's not really looking at the machine that's driving it or how they're doing it. And I meant in here anyway.

But yes it's good to see Cam back out there with a decent report.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
fringe nutters rediscovering local government has a real tech bros reinvent common things vibe

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Eediot Jedi posted:

Yeah maybe someone could do a good effortpost about it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
to preface this: a good post, not a post.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
So wait, Bruce L's defence is he took the women to Parliament, asked to be let in because he left his house keys there (what?), left her in the room, remembered he needed to do some very late night work (?!) while somewhat drunk (!!?), and then left without seeing her again (!!??!!).

While she was undressed in the outer room he would have to walk past to go out.

Is that his defence?

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I remembered i had to "file my taxes" and didn't rape that woman

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I didn’t realise until yesterday that they stream federal court cases on youtube - Federal Court of Australia. I also didn’t realise how boring and procedural the first day of trial would be, sounds like today had been more interesting with him offering his version of events.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Comstar posted:

Is that his defence?
The best bit is, as his criminal trial aborted, there was no finding of the facts from that process. The civil process is the lower 'balance of probabilities'. I'm hoping he completely Ben Robert Smith's himself and the hole he's digging just keeps getting deeper. He probably doesn't want to wait long to wrap up the defamation cases https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/nov/01/bruce-lehrmann-toowoomba-alleged-rape-trial-legal-team-phone-access because a guilty finding in the Toowoomba rape trail may help tip that balance of probability.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I remembered i had to "file my taxes" and didn't rape that woman

Those taxes were lousy!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Reading or making alterations to a file in your office without logging into your computer is such a load of poo poo lol

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

quote:

When Mr Lehrmann and Ms Higgins approached the gate at the ministerial entrance to Parliament House on the night in question, he told the security officer on the intercom he had been requested to collect documents.

But Mr Lehrmann told the court that was false and that he instead needed to collect his house keys, which he had left in the office.

Mr Whybrow asked him why he did not say that to the security officer.

"I thought that security would have said, 'Bugger off and come back next week' and I needed to get home," Mr Lehrmann replied.

very credible story

birdstrike posted:

Those taxes were lousy!

lousy tax man

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Anti-vaxxers are winning local elections across Western Australia

Good thing we're not vigorously examining the machine behind this kind of fuckery.

The drag queen story hour thing is bad enough in the US, but they absolutely need to gently caress off with that poo poo in a country that has an actual history of pantomime, and where Priscilla was made.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Artificial Kid posted:

The drag queen story hour thing is bad enough in the US, but they absolutely need to gently caress off with that poo poo in a country that has an actual history of pantomime, and where Priscilla was made.

The crossdressing aspect has never been the issue, they've never had a problem with The Footy Show or Barry Humphries putting on a dress & wig and doing a risque performance full of double entendres on national TV in front of all the kids. (As an aside, note also that the actors portraying drag queens in Priscilla were also all hetero men.)

The 'problem' with drag is that it's an empowerment of LGBTQ+ people and they're fighting against people trying to 'normalise' that. They know that general homophobia is not going to fly any more so they're picking and choosing their targets more carefully, targeting drag queens and trans people and claiming they're trying to protect kids or the sanctity of women's sports or keep rapists out of women's toilets because they know those topics have better optics. They're like the raptors in Jurassic Park, constantly checking the fence for weak points so they can break out

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
and we must be like the t-rex in jurassic park, crushing them with our jaws and roaring triumphantly

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i dont know, the raptors can open doors, so they are smarter than these cookers

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Cartoon posted:

The best bit is, as his criminal trial aborted, there was no finding of the facts from that process. The civil process is the lower 'balance of probabilities'. I'm hoping he completely Ben Robert Smith's himself and the hole he's digging just keeps getting deeper. He probably doesn't want to wait long to wrap up the defamation cases https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/nov/01/bruce-lehrmann-toowoomba-alleged-rape-trial-legal-team-phone-access because a guilty finding in the Toowoomba rape trail may help tip that balance of probability.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-24/bruce-lehrmann-defamation-cross-examination-memory-buying-drinks/103145748

ABC posted:

Bruce Lehrmann has denied he tried to get Brittany Higgins drunk on the night she alleges she was raped, but has conceded he did buy her two drinks, despite earlier saying he could not recall doing so.

ABC posted:

"Because I'm in the witness box, I'm being very careful not to give definitive answers," he said.

There's a good strategy to take to court... :thumbsup:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i didnt buy her drinks

yeah i bought her two drinks

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

quote:

The former Liberal staffer was asked by Ten’s barrister Matt Collins KC if he was trying to get Higgins drunk after footage of her was played to the court showing she had consumed six spirit-based drinks in a Canberra pub.

Lehrmann could not explain to the court why there is no record of a third credit card he used to buy those drinks. He maintains he only had two cards, but couldn’t reconcile the amount the drinks would have cost compared to what was on his card statements that he gave to the AFP.

Collins asked Lehrmann: “Do you agree that we’ve just seen you and Ms Higgins returning to the courtyard area from the bar area, each of you carrying a spirits-based drink with a vodkas?”

Lehrmann replied: “I can’t recall what type of [drink]” and he said he paid for them with a card “but I can’t explain beyond that”.

Lehrmann denied telling Higgins to “drink that all now” in a clip which showed him pointing to the glass of alcohol on the table.

This guy does not seem like a very good liar

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Seemlar posted:

This guy does not seem like a very good liar

This is what happens when the "connected white guy" shield breaks down

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
This is just brs all over again scoring an own goal

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Spookydonut posted:

god I hope so

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Honestly judge should suspend the case until his qld rape case is resolved as that would be a slam dunk on truth defence

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Spookydonut posted:

Like BRS the part I can not get my head around is, what's his end game?

Lets assume there is no narrative fairness in the universe and he beats both this and the QLD rape proceedings. Is it so he can put "sucessfully raped twice and got away with it" on his resume?

I hope he goes down in a blubbering heap as he loses everything, but the defamation payout will need to be huge as nobody with a nanogram of integrity would ever employ him now*.

*So plenty of jobs in the mineral council, LNP (etc).

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
BRS at least had the support of the psycho "soldiers can never do anything wrong" crowd.

No one's going to go to bat for this guy.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

BRS at least had the support of the psycho "soldiers can never do anything wrong" crowd.

No one's going to go to bat for this guy.

No surprise you don't read The Australian, but yeah, they are.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Antic and Babbet are a problem, holding the hose of the toxic propaganda pipeline on the floor of parliament,

lol turns out this was literally true and Crikey found the receipts

Coalition MP claiming thousands in weekly expenses from secretive right-wing firm

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Cartoon posted:

Like BRS the part I can not get my head around is, what's his end game?

Lets assume there is no narrative fairness in the universe and he beats both this and the QLD rape proceedings. Is it so he can put "sucessfully raped twice and got away with it" on his resume?

I hope he goes down in a blubbering heap as he loses everything, but the defamation payout will need to be huge as nobody with a nanogram of integrity would ever employ him now*.

My money is that the man from Toowoomba may or may not be a sexual predator and pest but it seems he very much is the type of squealing grub who will say or do anything if it means he skips out or lessens the things he has done.

Either he is :

1. In too deep with lies,
2. has powerful connections,
3. has secrets he's willing to share with his backers or,
4. is a little bit of all of those.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

A Perfect Twist posted:

My money is that the man from Toowoomba may or may not be a sexual predator and pest but it seems he very much is the type of squealing grub who will say or do anything if it means he skips out or lessens the things he has done.

Either he is :

1. In too deep with lies,
2. has powerful connections,
3. has secrets he's willing to share with his backers or,
4. is a little bit of all of those.

I doubt he has much of that if any. He's just a convenient weapon for culture warriors to attack a woman who dared to speak up.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Cartoon posted:

dont forget channel 7

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Captain Theron posted:

I doubt he has much of that if any. He's just a convenient weapon for culture warriors to attack a woman who dared to speak up.

Maybe.

He isn't anyone important and he doesn't have a display at the war memorial or anything! He launched the defamation case on people who didn't name him publicly which then named him publicly. He's either guilty of everything or guilty of most of it. Culture warriors would be looking for some sort of book deal for him afterwards then appearances on Sky After Dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
He got fired for a security breach so i doubt he'll ever get a job that requires a security clearance again

e: or at least i hope thats how it works with security clearances