Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nolan fucks

A good finale. Though definitely not as good as s1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Well, it's not really a season finale. Just a "cliffhanger" before 2024 resumes with the second half.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol Nolan hosed a bug

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Having to wait another 3? 6? months for the next four episodes after waiting two and a half years for these is painful and odd.

Show good, though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Wait seriously? WTF I just looked and the next four episodes are TBA Early 2024, I thought it was just like a month-long break until after the holidays.

Very cool episode though. How do they think Mark's going to make it back home after leaving him on an alien planet beaten half to death with a stab wound in his gut though? I've read the comics and I can't even remember how that works lol.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

YOU GOTTA BE FUCKIN' KIDDIN' ME!!

Steven's delivery of that line was loving 10/10.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Good ep, mean cliffhanger, but not a fan of the lengthy needle drops.

Also nice to hear Rhea Seehorn in something!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I am glad this show doesn't appear to be letting Nolan off as easily as in the source material. I read the comics while bored at work once, and it bugged me how quickly they glazed over Nolan murdering, like, so many people.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

I am glad this show doesn't appear to be letting Nolan off as easily as in the source material. I read the comics while bored at work once, and it bugged me how quickly they glazed over Nolan murdering, like, so many people.

Nolan was also slightly less bad in the comic than in season one.

Slightly.

When he was fighting Mark, he was more indifferent to human life than actively trying to murder as many people as possible to make a point.

Not enough to justify as lightly as he was treated, but still.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Adder Moray posted:

Nolan was also slightly less bad in the comic than in season one.

Slightly.

When he was fighting Mark, he was more indifferent to human life than actively trying to murder as many people as possible to make a point.

Not enough to justify as lightly as he was treated, but still.

Yeah, it was more just one piece of a larger theme in the comics, another part of which is the treatment of female characters mentioned earlier. Just this overall sense that only the special people really matter and that rather than no imperialist autocrats, what the world really needs is the right imperialist autocrat. Very good guy with a gun vibes.

Left me pretty meh on the comic as a whole, and it's nice that the show seems interested in fixing some of those problems.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Phenotype posted:

Wait seriously? WTF I just looked and the next four episodes are TBA Early 2024, I thought it was just like a month-long break until after the holidays.

Very cool episode though. How do they think Mark's going to make it back home after leaving him on an alien planet beaten half to death with a stab wound in his gut though? I've read the comics and I can't even remember how that works lol.

The bugs aren't like 100% exterminated and they got him to their planet just fine. Can't see why they couldn't get him back just as easily

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They might have other things to do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Lol at Mauler forgetting that he cannot be trusted, and therefore neither can his clone ESPECIALLY if he abuses him. He really should have seen that coming. Villains that are supergeniuses are always stupid in that very same way. Also I love Donald, he's just some schlub stuck in a lovely job but he's got better bedside manner than his boss and clearly genuinely cares about things other than what he can get out of people. He's just a guy who's doing his best while stuck in an existential crisis

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I don't see how Mauler didn't see that coming. I guess he was too caught up in gloating about being able to prove that he was the original.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also I loved Nolan's moment of "Why do I care? I'm not supposed to care!" then Mark just destroying him with "This is how you should have felt on Earth..." Also the shot of the broken planet during Nolan's montage flying through space reminded me of the shots of the former colonies in Steven Universe.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

the maulers are so awesome. Big blue muscleman engineering geniuses that are clones but don't know if they are the original clone. That is so many things going on at once and it works so well.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't some reset to default fail state that Mauler programmed into the mind transfer like not remembering who is the clone. An intentional blind spot to get the obvious original out of the way so the clone is free to make a second identical clone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
There has to be something like that. Otherwise he would remember which side of the clone thing he got into before the mind transfer. Something about the transfer must erase everything about the transfer process from his memory so that neither one can remember the details that would allow them to know which is which. It obviously wasn't good enough this time which lead to a stratification and betrayal.

I assume the very first cloning didn't go well because that wasn't taken into account, leading to the clone killing the original, making a new clone, and then realizing what had to be done to prevent it in the future. Even though they know they can't know which is which, they still bicker about it and try to prove that they are the original.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
My love-in for the Maulers continues. They are such dopes :3:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I respect that the Viltrumite way of attacking a planet is to literally attack a planet. Flying head first directly into the ground like a missile.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gangringo posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't some reset to default fail state that Mauler programmed into the mind transfer like not remembering who is the clone. An intentional blind spot to get the obvious original out of the way so the clone is free to make a second identical clone.

I think this episode proves that at this point Mauler doesn't want to actually remember which is the original; because the original's an rear end in a top hat. Anyway, this half of the season ended exactly where I expected it to. Also I'm glad they picked who they did to voice Kregg.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I do sort of wonder if up to this point, each one assumed that they were the original original. I.e. every time one died, it coincidentally was the clone. Well, the original is certainly dead now. Maybe each one will feel self-conscious because they are guaranteed to be a clone.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Also shoutout to Rhea Seahorn voicing a little weird bug alien.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
What is the release plan here? 4 episode seasons twice a year, autumn/spring? I know they ordered 16 episodes after s1 was a hit, so they have 12 more episodes left in this block. That gives the animators/voice actors (I assume getting the voice actors to do 16 episodes once is easier to schedule that 8 episodes twice, same for the animators I guess) 2 years to produce the next block. It also maintains momentum. Has amazon said anything about it?

The voice cast is great and the animation so far has been a step up on the first season.

Caros
May 14, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

I do sort of wonder if up to this point, each one assumed that they were the original original. I.e. every time one died, it coincidentally was the clone. Well, the original is certainly dead now. Maybe each one will feel self-conscious because they are guaranteed to be a clone.

I think it just moves it down the line now.

'I'm the clone, but you are the clone of the clone, obviously, making you the inferior.'

'Sure thing, guy who is obviously the clone of a clone.'

Six thousand years later they're both horribly mutated copies of the original from 10,000 generations of minute cloning defects.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liked the idea of one of My Hero Academia's villains who cloned himself a bunch as that's his quirk - one day he developed a psychosis because his clones had a disagreement and all killed each other. In the chaos he forgot which one was the original, afraid to take the slightest scratch because unlike his original, if a clone takes too much damage they'll disappear, and so he has no idea what will happen to him. He breaks out of it because in a fight, a villain breaks his arm... and he doesn't disappear, so for the first time in his life he KNOWS that he's the original and takes great euphoria from it, cloning himself hundreds of times to turn the tide of the fight because he's no longer afraid now that he knows for sure that he's the real one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Takes No Damage posted:

^^^
Like her support group buddy said, it takes time.

Depending on what era of Vegeta you mean, yes.

Admin Edit: Added spoiler tags to the entire post because I have no idea what is a spoiler and this was reported as such, sorry if it aint, sorry if it was.

(S02E04)
Vegeta: Smashed a bug

Nolan: Also smashed a bug

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Yessssssssss. More Clancy Brown please!

The number of shows they've appeared in lately has been awesome, but it always seems they're relegated to guest/temp status, and that is a shame. :colbert:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Ooo Amazon money buying Nick Cave songs :rock:

Was the black hole meetcute in the comics? Do not remember that. Gravitational spagettification may be one of the only reliable ways for a Viltrumite to commit suicide.

pik_d posted:

(S02E04)
Vegeta: Smashed a bug

Nolan: Also smashed a bug

Also the formerly planet conquering Vegita settling down with a local gal and having a kid.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Pretty amused about Nolan's "travel books," which I'd assumed were travel guides but were actually pulp to read on the plane.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Takes No Damage posted:

Was the black hole meetcute in the comics? Do not remember that.

nah, there was no flashback of pre-Mark arriving in the comics

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

nah, there was no flashback of pre-Mark arriving in the comics

I forget what thread it was in and why, but someone just posted a few videos explaining why black holes look like that. Pretty neat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUyH3XhpLTo

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know the first ever image of a black hole was only a few years* ago, but surely astronerds mathed out how they'd appear decades ago.

So why has it only been the last couple years we've been seeing the "right-angled" accretion disk in shows?

It seems like overnight we went from this:

To this:

* google tells me 2017. drat. I was sure it was, like, 2005 or something.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 25, 2023

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
The story I had heard about it was that the CG team on some movie (probably Interstellar?) got astronomers to feed them all the correct math for rendering a black hole, and that it wasn't until after plugging all that in and running it that people realized they would absolutely look that way from the gravitational lensing of the light off of the accretion disk. Even knowing all the math about how black holes work wouldn't necessarily let you picture such a complex resulting image in your head without throwing a modern renderer at the problem.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even the version from Interstellar was wrong because how it would actually look was boring so they jazzed it up and show more of the accretion disc

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
How does Debbie receiving the money from Nolan's books make her feel in debt to Cecil? That's her loving money! Wasn't he just helping manage the estate or something?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

How does Debbie receiving the money from Nolan's books make her feel in debt to Cecil? That's her loving money! Wasn't he just helping manage the estate or something?

I think the 'book sales' were just a cover for them getting fat government checks, they don't really sell that well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm curious if there's more to the books than meets the eye, Nolan did seem to think it was important to bring them up when asking his son to remember his good works.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Takes No Damage posted:

I think the 'book sales' were just a cover for them getting fat government checks, they don't really sell that well.

It's this. Not many authors make enough money to maintain Nolan's lifestyle, and they're all moderately famous or continually productive. If he actually was making that much money from book sales it would compromise his secret identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
There's obviously something to the books but it's great imagining that Nolan is secretly an aspiring author desperate for validation

edit: Also I was expecting it to turn out Donald is just Donald and the one who died was a robot or something

Argue fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 25, 2023