Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
This would have been a good place to make the Tosh/Nova choice relevant again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
The Queen is a really cool choice for the boss, too. You don't see Queens anywhere else in WoL, and thanks to how funky Starcraft gets with scale it's easy to not think of Queens as much. It's only when she pops up and her name appears that you remember that oh yeah, Queens are air units, like the Science Vessel and Battlecruiser which are big enough to be entire levels.

Belly of the Beast is a really good mission.

rastilin
Nov 6, 2010
I don't really understand why Blizzard felt the need to make the "tech" guy be annoying.. I mean I suppose I do understand why they went with the easy stereotype, but I don't particularly like it. It makes it worse once you see that Stetmann is actually a good unit and is willing to go into a bunch of Zerg infested tunnels with just three other people to lay down charges.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is she an old style (SC1) queen or a new style queen? She looks like a SC2 queen.
The units are so different I'm not really clear why they are called the same.

From the lore SC2 queens are basically the cerebrate substitute, right? With control over far smaller broods on average in case they get ideasTM.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Cut Content

Once again, if you exploited a glitch in early versions of the game, you could get back on the Hyperion and access a couple of cut conversations that were still baked into the game.

Horner

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXbbcGdgbA

I know takin' out those nydus canals left y'all in the lurch up here. I'm sorry for that.

You did what you had to do, sir. But this last step... Are you sure you know what you're getting into? What if she can't be saved? Have you really considered that?

It's real simple for me, Matt. I'll never give up on her. Long as there's a chance of bringing her back, I'll never quit.

But what if you fail? Can you live with that?

Matt, if I fail, we're all dead men anyway.

Swann

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9au3c78qI

So, how'd you enjoy your little 'vacation' dirtside?

Yeah, next time you need a volunteer, you go right ahead and volunteer someone else.

Haha, thanks man. You know we couldn't have done it without ya.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

And Stetmann still has zero loving relevancy on the Hyperion.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You know I think it's telling that I have literally ZERO memory of these final WoL missions.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
To be fair to Belly of the Beast, you might just never have played it. Given the choice of getting rid of nydus worms and all air units, I know I went for the latter without a second thought. Same goes for the Nova mission; you're never given any adequate reason to betray Tosh. The refugee mission is the only one that remotely feel like a balanced choice before you know the game will retroactively justify whichever you pick.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I did the air mission when I played this on release, and I missed out because this one looks like it rules.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Omobono posted:

From the lore SC2 queens are basically the cerebrate substitute, right? With control over far smaller broods on average in case they get ideasTM.

Brood Mothers are the cerebrate substitue. Queens are more of a nest support thing. This one might be a middle ground on that count though - we haven't seen any brood mothers in this campaign so the writers might not have come up with them as a distinct thing yet.

GunnerJ posted:

Could have done the same for Hanson/Selendis too! Give you some extra support from either the Haven refugees or the Golden Armada. Or put them in the air mission instead. That would have been fun.

It is honestly pretty silly that Warfield offers a squad of hardcore vets to join him for the mission and Jim decides that, no, he'll take his middle management guys down instead.

Silly but fun though. That particular bit I won't hold against SC2, it's got charm.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Swann has charm. Stettman does not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GunnerJ posted:

Can't you hit Char without ever resolving that quest line?

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Cythereal posted:

Can't you hit Char without ever resolving that quest line?

Yeah but that would just create a third option where you have neither. Means balancing for the mission might be a bit odd, but they've already got vastly different difficulty levels so that's honestly going to be just another drop in the bucket.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: If the Omegalisk does break through to that squad of marines, you get one more very scared, very horrified movie reference from the probably-doomed marines.

"Oh god... game over, man. Game over!"

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Yeah but that would just create a third option where you have neither. Means balancing for the mission might be a bit odd, but they've already got vastly different difficulty levels so that's honestly going to be just another drop in the bucket.

You don't even really need that - if you haven't done New Folsom, Tosh is still on your ship, so he can come along.
Although I guess there's still the question of what if you haven't done his first mission either, though that is very edge case.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

To be fair to Belly of the Beast, you might just never have played it. Given the choice of getting rid of nydus worms and all air units, I know I went for the latter without a second thought.

I made the opposite calculation, like “ok, I know I can build turrets and wraiths, I don’t want assholes teleporting in though.”

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Tenebrais posted:

It is honestly pretty silly that Warfield offers a squad of hardcore vets to join him for the mission and Jim decides that, no, he'll take his middle management guys down instead.

Silly but fun though. That particular bit I won't hold against SC2, it's got charm.

Jim knows that if you've got a choice between a bunch of NPCs (even elite ones) and an adventuring party, you take the adventuring party.

That was a neat mission, though I also just slammed "gently caress the flyers" instantly when I played.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Man, if nydus meant assholes teleporting in your base they'd be a complete non-factor. Oh no please mr Zerg, don't appear right in the middle of 20 sieged tanks' kill zone, please.
The one or two nydus that spawn in your base get mulched in about half a second, it's the ones chilling in the backlines that become a problem once they start spitting mass ultralisks.

(Since we're not seeing the nydus version of the final map: various nydus pop up at regular intervals, they spit a small amount of low tier units on spawn, and then keep spitting increasingly high-tier units if not destroyed)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I went with killing the worms my first time through because I thought that it was a choice between having to only contend with ground or air Zerg in the finale, and figured that I could just mass Vikings and Battlecruisers to… cruise through the final mission against just mutas and brood lords.

Had I known that there are still a lot of ground units and the surprise, I would have gone with the air version without a second thought.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The air version is by far the harder version of the final battle, especially on Brutal.

The Leviathan and non stop waves of Brood Lords demand a lot more to answer then the Nydus networks. You can go all in on Siege Tanks and Bunkers and effectively completely dismantle the ground version of the map even on Brutal as you'll vaporize anything that even remotely comes close to your base, and just Mercenary Vikings will answer the small number of air units. Build a squad of Banshees and you can just erase every Nydus Worm pretty rapidly after they spawn.

Brood Lords are a much, much bigger threat to bunker/planetary fortress and siege tank walls then the Nydus networks are, as even if you're slow to kill the Nydus worms you should still be able to just massacre almost everything that comes out of them. You then need to dedicate a lot more supply to Vikings or other anti air, as Missile Turrets don't have the range to stop Brood Lords. Ghosts in bunkers can shoot back at Brood Lords if they're fully upgraded as well as hop out to snipe them though.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
I believe taking out the worms instead of the air support is almost universally considered the harder option for the final mission. Even with mass ultras, it is still very, very hard to get past a fully kitted out and developed tank/bunker line. I always went for taking out air when I was playing.

The alterate timeline mission to take out air support is actually really interesting in that it is nearly a straight-up puzzle mission. It is pretty difficult if you play it straight as a "wipe out the enemy bases' mission, but fairly easy if you figure out that a certain unit mix can cheese it.

Wasn't there a co-op commander that basically worked like this, your entire army is just a mix of hero units? How did that work? Penetrator Round is cathartic but can it stop five hatcheries pumping an endless stream of leaperlings?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

bladededge posted:

I believe taking out the worms instead of the air support is almost universally considered the harder option for the final mission. Even with mass ultras, it is still very, very hard to get past a fully kitted out and developed tank/bunker line. I always went for taking out air when I was playing.

The alterate timeline mission to take out air support is actually really interesting in that it is nearly a straight-up puzzle mission. It is pretty difficult if you play it straight as a "wipe out the enemy bases' mission, but fairly easy if you figure out that a certain unit mix can cheese it.

Wasn't there a co-op commander that basically worked like this, your entire army is just a mix of hero units? How did that work? Penetrator Round is cathartic but can it stop five hatcheries pumping an endless stream of leaperlings?

Yes, Tychus is this mission but as a co-op commander. The co-op missions work on setpieces and spawns, so you never have the 'endless stream of X' to deal with, but rather set waves based on the composition randomly selected at the start of the mission, and pre-placed enemy bases full of units that you may or may not need to kill to progress.

I've never played him, but he seems to work great. You get a handful of juiced-up hero units and they seem to perform just as well as other more traditional armies. No complaints here from a Nova player.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, and there's a decent selection of Heroes to choose from to fill out your squad, each with a different ability, and if you select more than one, they actually put all the abilities on a single command card, which is a very nice UI tweak.

And of course, you buy upgrades for them as the mission goes on, too, making their abilities even more potent - and there are various options for mobility to move them around the map as needed, too.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

My hot take is that Shatter the Skies is the more fun mission. It feels like the last chance you have to really just go ham with all the cool toys you've unlocked over the course of the campaign.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RevolverDivider posted:

The air version is by far the harder version of the final battle, especially on Brutal.

The Leviathan and non stop waves of Brood Lords demand a lot more to answer then the Nydus networks. You can go all in on Siege Tanks and Bunkers and effectively completely dismantle the ground version of the map even on Brutal as you'll vaporize anything that even remotely comes close to your base, and just Mercenary Vikings will answer the small number of air units. Build a squad of Banshees and you can just erase every Nydus Worm pretty rapidly after they spawn.

Brood Lords are a much, much bigger threat to bunker/planetary fortress and siege tank walls then the Nydus networks are, as even if you're slow to kill the Nydus worms you should still be able to just massacre almost everything that comes out of them. You then need to dedicate a lot more supply to Vikings or other anti air, as Missile Turrets don't have the range to stop Brood Lords. Ghosts in bunkers can shoot back at Brood Lords if they're fully upgraded as well as hop out to snipe them though.

There's actually a pretty simple solution to the air version, even on brutal. I'd argue that solution makes it by far the easier version.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Tychus Co-Op Commander is based almost entirely on this mission and it loving rules.

Fun Fact: Everything about Commando Raynor's Penetrator Round is insanely, ridiculously kludgy. Its targeting beam is actually done via triggers, and if you have two Commando Raynors on the map (not even owned by the same player, just the same unit), depending on which one loaded first, the "later" one will not have the targeting beam available for Penetrator Round when aiming the skill. As for the actual effect, Wings of Liberty did not have support for linear or rectangular search areas, so its AoE is actually three or four thin ovals stacked in a row, so it's possible to have the ability deal damage twice (or three times) if you line it up just right against a large enemy.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 25

Cinematic: Fire and Fury

After the fun times and quips of Belly of the Beast, we go to a big sad montage of a bunch of dead Marines.

It even starts raining.

Plus one Marine in Raider blue.

Warfield's back from his trip to medical.

And he wasn't kidding about having them lop off his arm.

It can turn into a badass arm cannon!

It never gets used in Wings.

And we finally get the completed artifact.

Raynor's speech is also being broadcasted to everyone nearby, because this is also the Obligatory Badass Speech Moment.

And then the rain stops and the clouds part all dramatic like the second Raynor is done talking.

It just feels so forced.

Like the writers are just going down a checklist of emotional moments.

Back at the base camp for one last round of talks.

>Talk to Tychus.

Get one thing straight, Tychus - if Valerian's right and this artifact can turn Kerrigan human again, I'm taking her away from this place. You hear what I'm sayin'?

I hear ya', Jimmy and I know you wanna' believe she can come back. But after all the misery she's caused... well, let's just say... some folks don't deserve second chances.

But some folks are also required for the continued survival of the universe, so you don't really get a say in the matter here.

I'll be the judge of that.

>Talk to Warfield.

Charging into battle with a stranger - taking enemy fire, holding the line shoulder to shoulder - that's the great equalizer of war. It's an honor to fight at your side.

I sure do appreciate that, General.

>Examine Artifact.

:rimshot:

Watch news.

The implication here is that learning the truth about Tarsonis has been weighing on Donny ever since Media Blitz, and it finally broke him.

In a better written game, this could be used as a way to show a man forced to confront the sins of the regime he's been verbally fellating for years.

But this is Starcraft 2, so all they do with it is a 'haha crazy people are so random, amirite?' joke and never bring it up again.

We wish you all the best, Donny, and hope for your speedy recovery. In the meantime, I'll be taking over as chief anchor here at UNN. For UNN, I'm Kate Lockwell.

Without Donny around to cut her off whenever she starts talking up the Raiders, I give it about a week before she gets unpersoned.

Oh, and despite the other news segments being tweaked slightly if you've done Media Blitz, this one is completely unchanged if you skipped it and Donny goes crazy for no reason whatsoever.

The time has finally come to cash in that final zerg research.

I did say the Emulator excels against an air army, after all.

But there's just one final trip to the Non-Canon Zone before I can show it off.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Worth noting: the name on that dead marine's dogtag that Raynor grabbed during his Big Emotional Speech, "M. Koiter" was not random. It was a Blizzard Staff member that died young in 2004. In addition to this tribute here, he also has a tribute in World of Warcraft.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Not going to wade into the spoiler zone too much, but not a bad guess by Tychus here about a stupid plot point to come. One wonders if it was planned at this point - probably not, I imagine.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

BisbyWorl posted:

It just feels so forced.

Like the writers are just going down a checklist of emotional moments.

Sometimes you get the impression that someone is literally using all of the entries for a specific genre on tvtropes.org as a to-do list, but I think that the actiblizz writers of this era were just really, really big on movie trailers. Every line in the cinematics sounds like it was made for a trailer highlight reel. I've seen a couple scattered cinematics from World of Warcraft and it is exactly the same style.

Now, if anybody wants to see what a game script that was actually written using a tvtropes checklist looks like, I'm sure someone in the history of this forum LP'd Xenosaga Ep.2 at some point.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
I've been reading through this LP and have only gotten to page 47 so far, but I think it's one of the best LP's I've seen. Fantastic work!

It's also inspired me to replay the campaign, since watching the abysmal writing is a guilty pleasure of mine, and the actual gameplay is usually fun enough to waste some time, rock-pondering Protoss missions notwithstanding. I also decided to check on HotS and LotV to see how much of each I'd played, and... apparently I finished HotS???? I legitimately have no memory of finishing it, just an incredibly vague feeling of severe disappointment.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

“just an incredibly vague feeling of severe disappointment - Let’s Play StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm”

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Title drop.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Thanksgaming > Let's Play! > This thing gives me the willies somethin' awful - Let's Play Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

“just an incredibly vague feeling of severe disappointment - Let’s Play StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm”

I think we found the HotS thread title Bisby.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So one thing that strikes me about this Xel'naga artifact is that it can ostensibly de-zergify a zergified creature, which is fine, but... considering that zergified humans did not exist when the Xel'naga did, it seems odd that it would specifically target them.

I could maybe buy that the Xel'naga had it as a testbed for messing with the Zerg infestation during their own experiments,so that it might AoE de-zergify a LOT of creatures, whipping them back to their OG DNA and out of Overmind control, but I can't really believe it only affects humans or that it's laser-targeted at one person.

I think it would be way more interesting if it had some big, unrelated effect that coincidentally could also de-zergify people. Like maybe it separates things of alien nature, so it would also rip out a cyborg's augmentations, or maybe it literally rolls back time for an area/creatures, or something.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

"We need a dramatic speech in the rain."
"They are on a volcano planet with no visible water anywhere."
"In. The. Rain."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

To be fair, volcanic climates actually experience frequent rainfall due to constantly boiling off every bit of moisture in the area.

that cutscene sucks real fuckin bad though