Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Gonz posted:

I still don’t understand why he’s so angry all the time. He’s got a beautiful wife, a ton of money, and had a situation in AEW where he didn’t have to be on the road 330 days a year, and had he not poo poo all over both his chances to remain there, he could’ve had the kind of final run in the business where he could’ve wrestled whomever he wanted, wherever he wanted, for whatever title he wanted, basically he until he retired.

The vast majority of pro wrestlers can go their entire lives without accumulating that kind of sway and power.

Dude basically ruined his career because he has a grudge against Kenny and the Bucks and completely lost his poo poo at Jack Perry making a goofy off-hand joke that nobody outside of the IWC even knew about?

That’s a majestic level of thin skin and lack of anger management. That’s the kind of poo poo that books can be written about.

I was never the biggest Punk mark, but I liked his stuff, was excited he came back, and was hoping he can put together a great final chapter of his career after being away so drat long.

But him burning all the bridges left within the industry based on things most others would let roll off their shoulders is incredibly short sighted and moronic.

Ah, c’est la vie.

My speculation is that he wanted to become the Triple H of AEW. He was one of the top guys, but wanted to be the undisputed top guy with limitless power even after the in-ring career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

WWE is a very different company now and has a much more mature locker room

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Punk's line to MJF "Will you be my Valentine?" While holding up the dog collar is one of the best promo lines in wrestling history bit it does require knowing a small bit of wrestling history to land as hard as it did

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

it's full of old guys yeah

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Yeah, because Punk's not there

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Weren't there rumors floating around that Punk signed with AEW because the court cases with WWE and Colt ate up a lot of his savings?

Anyway, I don't really have sympathy for Punk. Dude painted himself as a rebel against the old guard until he became the old guard. The man had a fanbiy for a boss and he still got fired when he put his hands on him.

I dunno if we'll see him tomorrow. I doubt it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Gonz posted:

Doesn’t HHH notoriously despise Punk? I know that after the fact, Vince was always amenable to working with Punk again, because Vince loves making money, but HHH was pretty firm in his hatred of Punk (and the way Punk left the company).

I don’t know if Hunter’s stance on Punk has softened at all the last 9 years. Hell, if I remember correctly, I don’t even think he liked him while he was still there.

It's a two mirrors hating each other situation - forgotten about in the annals of wrestling history is in the mid 90s Triple H had similar ideals as Punk, he was antisteroid use and was natural with a tonne of wrestling's all backing up the poo poo he would say to them and his high and mighty attitude of superiority compared to the boys in the back. Then of course he loaded up on roids and became a God by selling out his ideals for knowing what was the way to make more money than nearly anyone else. Meanwhile Punk, at least pre-meltdown Punk, is so strict in his principles and his beliefs he'd sooner break than bend even a little hence why he pisses off everyone so easily due to that if his principles are wrong he will never re-evaluate them becoming a hard-line jackass. Punk sees Trips as a corporate sell out shrill who will only step on you to get up the ladder and Trips sees Punk as this self-righteous rear end in a top hat mark who thinks the world revolved around him.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The company's been insistent enough, to both fans and the roster (a lot of whom hate him, and a lot of whom would hate him and the company more if they were lied to about something like this), that he's not coming back today that I actually believe he probably isn't. I'd hope that's a permanent thing/that he really has blown through all the chances top companies in the US are willing to give him, but it's more believable and likely that it's a situation everyone there believes at least needs much more time to cool down

And yes there is a PPV today

Survivor Series: WarGames posted:

Dragon Lee vs Santos Escobar
Gunther defends the IC title against the Miz
Rhea Ripley defends the Raw women's world title against Zoey Stark
Charlotte, Becky Lynch, Bianca Belair and Shotzi vs Damage CTRL (Bayley, Asuka, Iyo Sky and Kairi Sane) in women's WarGames
Jey Uso, Sami Zayn, Cody Rhodes, Seth Rollins and Randy Orton vs Drew McIntyre and Judgment Day (Damien Priest, Finn Balor, Dominik Mysterio and JD McDonagh) in men's WarGames

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Why can't GUNTHER defend against Dragon Lee and Santos Escobar who should remask and go back to being King Cuerno

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Chris James 2 posted:

The company's been insistent enough, to both fans and the roster (a lot of whom hate him, and a lot of whom would hate him and the company more if they were lied to about something like this), that he's not coming back today that I actually believe he probably isn't. I'd hope that's a permanent thing/that he really has blown through all the chances top companies in the US are willing to give him, but it's more believable and likely that it's a situation everyone there believes at least needs much more time to cool down

And yes there is a PPV today

Yeah I'll be watching AEW with the cool posters

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Look CM Punk has never had a problem with HHH. It's always been Jack Perry that was holding him down, and his pal Hunter is going to give him his chance to give his side of the story.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

WWE is smart enough to put business first these days, it’s why they’re winning

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

Why can't GUNTHER defend against Dragon Lee and Santos Escobar who should remask and go back to being King Cuerno

Because the Miz really wants a bloody chest. Let him have this.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The biggest problem Punk would have in WWE if he went back is that there are so many women in the locker room that he might go broke buying them Starbucks gift cards

https://x.com/Fightful/status/1726802742176629022?s=20

Seriously, they should probably rename the Bechdel test to the Levesque test at this point

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

JUNGLE BOY posted:

The biggest problem Punk would have in WWE if he went back is that there are so many women in the locker room that he might go broke buying them Starbucks gift cards

https://x.com/Fightful/status/1726802742176629022?s=20

Seriously, they should probably rename the Bechdel test to the Levesque test at this point

The only Levesque test is if he's going over

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

projecthalaxy posted:

his pal Hunter is going to give him his chance to finish his side of the story.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Trips is wiping the floor with Tiny Con this year and it’s not even close. It’s gonna pain me to vote for the King of Kings as booker of the year on my WOR ballot this year but I cannot tell a lie.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Gonna be great when Dave scolds his subscribers again.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Some rando coming in and going “Who’s this CM Punk guy?” generates pages of discussion and armchair psychology. If you really need any proof that he’s one of the best to ever do it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I don't think being a really good wrestler requires being a giant freak which is what most of the discussion is about.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Pylons posted:

I don't think being a really good wrestler requires being a giant freak which is what most of the discussion is about.

This is not true at all. There’s never been a great wrestler who wasn’t a giant freak. There’s been good wrestlers, but to be great you have to be an insane freak. Imo

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The_Rob posted:

This is not true at all. There’s never been a great wrestler who wasn’t a giant freak. There’s been good wrestlers, but to be great you have to be an insane freak. Imo

I think Kenny Omega is pretty low on the freak scale. Okada too probably, he's just a silly guy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

We had Brawl Out and Brawl In, maybe he can stick around until late January, add Royal Rumbrawl.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pylons posted:

I think Kenny Omega is pretty low on the freak scale. Okada too probably, he's just a silly guy.

Omega's willingness to grind himself into dust for pro wrestling is what makes him a freak.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CombineThresher posted:

Omega's willingness to grind himself into dust for pro wrestling is what makes him a freak.

Exactly

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pretty much

Dude worked through vertigo

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He means they’re all old as gently caress

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Despite his personal foibles, if someone tells you CM Punk isn't one of the best to ever do it (or if they say he's loving average on the microphone Jesus CHRIST) you can ignore everything they say.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Ridge Holland walks out on his beloved partner BUTCH, PLUS we get denied a Carlito PPV match and all you people can talk about is a guy who doesn't even work for WWE, smh

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
To be fair my rando (really) self asked the question before watching Smackdown.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

oh come on now. They are winning and will always win because they have half a decade of momentum on their side and are seen by the vast majority of American fans as THE wrestling company. It would take something like Sega wasting hundreds of millions of dollars to even put a dent in their lead.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

Pretty much

Dude worked through vertigo

Did he work Naito during that stretch? Cause Naito was just as much of a freak working through Double Vision so that'd sure be a match

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I would love to see cm punk get himself thrown out of whatever company will have him an unlimited number of times

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Lamuella posted:

I feel like he would be a lot of fun as a heelish corporate stooge. Coming back in to his old Straight Edge Society music, gladhanding everyone, thanking Mr Helmsley for the chance, etc. And then 12 months later turning face. He'd never do it, though.

That's what is so funny. He has a way forward but would him having to admit some hard truths to himself to a worked shoot run about his gently caress ups and as we see with the Collision police state he was running, he can't do it.

I've always thought Punk was overrated since his ROH run but he has had his moments. But despite me not liking him a lot he is on the more transparently fascinating guys in wrestling.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
imagine the confused pop if randy came out to this song again tonight

https://youtu.be/PbfuHLtLqkQ?si=uKxZlqUMhxkCghNB

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Tato posted:

Ridge Holland walks out on his beloved partner BUTCH, PLUS we get denied a Carlito PPV match and all you people can talk about is a guy who doesn't even work for WWE, smh

That's because no one watches wwe op

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Even the participation title isn't being defended tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Gonz posted:

Doesn’t HHH notoriously despise Punk? I know that after the fact, Vince was always amenable to working with Punk again, because Vince loves making money, but HHH was pretty firm in his hatred of Punk (and the way Punk left the company).

I don’t know if Hunter’s stance on Punk has softened at all the last 9 years. Hell, if I remember correctly, I don’t even think he liked him while he was still there.

A few months ago when Punk stopped by Raw to 'mend some fences' the rumor was that Triple H was willing to talk to him about stuff but he wanted to ask Vince if ti was ok if Punk was backstage and allegedly Vince said to throw him out. You can take that whichever way you want.