Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Breetai posted:

So I've never actually seen any movies in either the trolls or the croods series. I was just wondering are these generally considered to be a good time for adult viewers, I.e. not just when you're watching them with kids?

That's...very YMMV. I mean I liked them and enjoyed them well enough, but they're very much "Brain is told to take 5" affairs where you enjoy the animation and pop music. A good metric is that, if you didn't care for the Super Mario Movie, I'm not sure you'll care too much for these either. The writing is decent but the characters are what make it pop.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Breetai posted:

So I've never actually seen any movies in either the trolls or the croods series. I was just wondering are these generally considered to be a good time for adult viewers, I.e. not just when you're watching them with kids?

The first one is a skip imo, it's fine but nothing special. The second one, World Tour, is a very fun movie with a great soundtrack, it's worth a watch. I'm excited for 3 even though it doesn't look as good as 2.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Papercut posted:

The first one is a skip imo, it's fine but nothing special. The second one, World Tour, is a very fun movie with a great soundtrack, it's worth a watch. I'm excited for 3 even though it doesn't look as good as 2.

I do think the first one is probably the weakest, but it's still pretty good and 3 makes callbacks to events in it.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 22, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, "Music killed my grandma!" is probably the hardest I've laughed at anything, ever.
Please put it on my tombstone.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Das Boo posted:

I dunno, "Music killed my grandma!" is probably the hardest I've laughed at anything, ever.
Please put it on my tombstone.

It had a weird mix of funny and sad to it.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i think The Croods 1 stands well enough on its own. i don't think it's as good as Smallfoot in terms of '2010s animated film that is child-friendly but is worth something for an adult audience' though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

ungulateman posted:

i think The Croods 1 stands well enough on its own. i don't think it's as good as Smallfoot in terms of '2010s animated film that is child-friendly but is worth something for an adult audience' though

There's an aspect of the story of the first croods movie that I respect because it has a decent emotional punch, but the second movie is much funnier.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think this is the scene that really won me over on the whole Croods thing:

https://youtu.be/nFfMFankObw?feature=shared

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Phylodox posted:

I think this is the scene that really won me over on the whole Croods thing:

https://youtu.be/nFfMFankObw?feature=shared

My favuorite bit in Croods 2 was the Punch monkey society/language. "WE ARE NOT GOING BACK!" is a hilarious outburst. Also Banana Bros and the Album Cover character intros

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
How is the Croods TV series?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
AVclub gave Wish a C-. I don't think I'm going to watch that movie.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I saw the Wish trailer again with The Marvels

shame on whoever pointed out how clunky the lyric "throw caution to every warning sign" is because now that's all I can think about

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I always appreciate is when a movie that's generally considered mid tier has some clear effort in it's design or theming even if it wasn't the best overall, like in Storks which along with being just generally really funny it has a cool visual thing where the stork beacon built by the child and his parents happens to look just like a smaller-scale non-magical version of the fully active baby factory, bringing to mind the idea that both are designed to look like something designed by a child's imagination.

Also the bit in the first Croods movie where towards the end Grug finally learns to let go of his family so that they can survive, and due to one of his main things being trying to find a cave, the collapse of Pangaea forces him back into his square one, but this time everything negative it exemplified - he dark, he's scared, he's back in a cave, but now he's completely alone. It's like the world is twisting the knife, after he finally gets over his cave fixation and learns his lesson on leading without stifling the world shoves him back again, like it's saying "I'm sorry? Isn't this what you wanted?" and then the resolution of that situation being that he greatly expands the definition of his pack to include not only his immediate family but also Guy and every animal that he sees on the way. After picking a fight with everything throughout the whole movie, he completely about faces and brings them all into his fold.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Boy Wish looks super "We're intending to make a Cinematic Universe" from what some of my friends who seen it said.

Disney, can we loving not?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We watched Disney Aladdin, the cartoon movie yesterday. I haven't watched that movie in....I don't know how long. It was one of those movies I always wanted to watch with my son because he's a wimp and I remember thinking that the ending was pretty impressive to young me. Well, even now to him that ending is tense. The sheer ease with which Jafar utterly dominates the heroes all the while gloating, accompanied by the deep reds and threatening music just makes it all quite menacing. Few things come near to that in the Disney movies if you ask me. Jafar is the best Disney villain.
But man, those genie sequences are still absolutely amazing. So many morphs and jokes. The animators must've had one hell of a time doing that.
It does have some very strange backgrounds and sequences where early computers were clearly getting their asses kicked.
Speaking off, we watched it in 4K, but a few of the scenes near the ending suddenly became oddly grainy. Like the restoration of those parts just failed.
All in all, still an excellent movie. I hope we'll watch the revenge of Jafar soon. I remember really liking that movie.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Darth TNT posted:

I hope we'll watch the revenge of Jafar soon. I remember really liking that movie.

I've never watched it but from every single review I've ever heard of it, you might be in for a rude awakening...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's only second rate :v:

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1727731768717934731?t=mMUVXhaojKuzENtN3toxGA&s=19

Movies get announced via balloon now.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

We already knew Kung-fu panda 4 was slated to come out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I watched the first one again recently and man I love those movies. They have something special with those.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Darth TNT posted:

We watched Disney Aladdin, the cartoon movie yesterday. I haven't watched that movie in....I don't know how long. It was one of those movies I always wanted to watch with my son because he's a wimp and I remember thinking that the ending was pretty impressive to young me. Well, even now to him that ending is tense. The sheer ease with which Jafar utterly dominates the heroes all the while gloating, accompanied by the deep reds and threatening music just makes it all quite menacing. Few things come near to that in the Disney movies if you ask me. Jafar is the best Disney villain.

Hah, my kids couldn't make it past the Cave of Wonders where it turns into a scary lion and asks for the diamond in the rough.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Invalid Validation posted:

I watched the first one again recently and man I love those movies. They have something special with those.

That something special is probably John Powell. Love that guy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Some of the best villains are the ones who are actually pretty mediocre people who just happen to have gotten their hands on too much power. There's a terrible realism to them.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Some of the best villains are the ones who are actually pretty mediocre people who just happen to have gotten their hands on too much power. There's a terrible realism to them.

Big part of what works in Megamind.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

All in all, still an excellent movie. I hope we'll watch the revenge of Jafar soon. I remember really liking that movie.

It lacks Robin Williams and the animation is from a mediocre outsource studio, but its still sorta decent.... watchable at least. The third Aladdin movie brings back Williams and has a bit better animation.

Because of the aforementioned outsourcing and recasts, meaning it was basically like a long episode of a tv show in terms of production, Return of Jafar only cost 5 million for Disney to make. It sold 300 million worth of VHS tapes. Possibly one of the best investments Disney could have made.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ccs posted:

It lacks Robin Williams and the animation is from a mediocre outsource studio, but its still sorta decent.... watchable at least. The third Aladdin movie brings back Williams and has a bit better animation.

Because of the aforementioned outsourcing and recasts, meaning it was basically like a long episode of a tv show in terms of production, Return of Jafar only cost 5 million for Disney to make. It sold 300 million worth of VHS tapes. Possibly one of the best investments Disney could have made.

I think it was basically treated as a pilot for the Aladdin cartoon, which is pretty good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Aladdin tv cartoon was wildly uneven in quality... which meant it managed to have a handful of surprisingly solid episodes.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I remember it having several fun villains, like Mozenrath and the Greek clockwork guy. But I also haven't watched it since middle school so I can't vouch for the quality.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Medenmath posted:

I remember it having several fun villains, like Mozenrath and the Greek clockwork guy. But I also haven't watched it since middle school so I can't vouch for the quality.

Wasn't the Greek guy from Hercules' TV show? Although they did cross over.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

I never really watched the Hercules show, but maybe he was on both?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BioEnchanted posted:

the greek guy was Aladdin, I think they use him as an impetus for the crossover. one of Mechanicles' gimmick is he obsessive about symmetry and orderliness - basically cartoon OCD

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Medenmath posted:

I remember hearing that the original idea for the finale/third movie was that Mozenrath (or Kylo Ren Jafar) was going to be revealed as Aladdin's long-lost brother. I kind of wish they did go in that direction.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just want to say that while Scavenger’s Reign was a beautiful show, the animation could be incredibly cheap. Must be a WB thing, as I’ve noticed this also in the later seasons of Harley Quinn. Animating on what seems to be the 5s or 10s, and the last two episodes of SR I noticed characters speaking without their mouths moving. Just screams of “budget cuts” to me.

Scavenger’s Reign is still very worth the watch though. Hopefully it comes to physical media.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
WB is the worst paying of the big studios.
Even their Christmas gifts are the cheapest poo poo.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
In 2021 they gave everyone puffy North Face jackets, which is a little useless most of the time in Los Angeles but it was good quality.

In 2022 after Zaslav took over, they gave us duffel bags with no pockets.

I shudder to think of what the gift this year will be (I was laid off in September, so we'll see if they even bother to send me anything)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Trolls Band Together was delightful. These movies are so fun.

Funny enough, the long long sibling thing actually ends up being handled perfectly fine... for Branch at least. They they do a good job of slotting in the Brozone stuff into the timeline. The band breaks up, one brother gives Branch his vest, and then they all go off on their own and leave Branch with their grandma. Branch's bunker was originally meant to be a like fun clubhouse with a waterslide for his brothers and it's cute. The Bergin stuff is weird because it seems like they didn't really exist outside of Bergin Town and frankly the trolls should've just kept going until getting to any of these other places. But anyway, don't think too hard about that, I think they make the long lost brother stuff work pretty well.

I think the long lost sibling thing falls apart a bit though with Poppy and Viva. I feel like they really had to struggle to explain how they got separated, considering the opening scene of the first movie. Obviously Viva was not a character when the first movie came out, but the backstory they created where they got separated by the cave in during the escape doesn't really work with the "no Trolls left behind!" stuff, especially when one of those Trolls is King Peppy's daughter. It's a LOT harder to buy that backstory than the Brozone stuff, and ends up making the Viva stuff feel pretty tacked on. The thing is Viva is a good, fun character! I liked her, but I think you could've had this movie work without making her Poppy's long lost sister. You need her so that Gristle and Bridget can run into them and then team up to help Poppy & Co save Branch's brothers, but the long lost sister bit just doesn't work. You really could've taken that out and just had her be a character that Poppy instantly connects with instead. Like I said I like Viva a lot as a character and I like her design, but the long lost sibling thing doesn't work with her and Poppy like it does Branch and his brothers.

I don't really know why Tiny Diamond was there besides wanting to give Kenan Thompson more voice over experience I guess? :shrug: He didn't really contribute anything or take away anything, he's just kind of there. I think I would've preferred if they had had Queen Barb be in the crew instead, cause it really feels like you could erase the second movie and nothing would change so it would've been nice to have her be a permanent part of the cast.

The villains are fun, and their animation is a joy to watch, though they are a bit underdeveloped. Speaking of animation, the movie is just wonderful to look at. All the different locations are gorgeous, love things like the vacation island water being beads and the vegetation being pool toys, and pool floaties and stuff, loved the weird puppet species that lived there. I loved the weird rubber hose... land?? That Velvet and Veneer live, they go for a very specific look with that and it all works amazing. These movies look incredible and I just love what they do with the textures and the aesthetics and everything.

Overall another really fun Trolls movie, I was surprised by how well the long lost sibling stuff worked with Branch, and felt the opposite about Poppy and Viva. Also Anna Kendrick is an awesome voice actor is the perfect voice for Poppy.

Oh there's also an N*Sync cameo at the end that is like... fine. It's fine. It brings up another long lost ______ thing that you're not supposed to really think about that I did but whatever I get why they did it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I actually thought Tiny Diamond added a lot. There's a little story about him wanting to be mature and like "a man" though it's underdeveloped like a lot of the B plots. Still he's got some fun one-liners and I think they needed someone besides Poppy and Branch that was recognizable since no one else from the usual Trolls gang went on the quest (for reasons largely unexplained)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Megera posted:

In 2021 they gave everyone puffy North Face jackets, which is a little useless most of the time in Los Angeles but it was good quality.

In 2022 after Zaslav took over, they gave us duffel bags with no pockets.

I shudder to think of what the gift this year will be (I was laid off in September, so we'll see if they even bother to send me anything)

I hate that loving duffel bag. I was laid off in January, so I doubt I'll get anything.
My Titmouse hoodie is still my favorite holiday gift.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

The Aladdin tv cartoon was wildly uneven in quality... which meant it managed to have a handful of surprisingly solid episodes.

That sounds about right, pretty standard for that era of Disney TV animation. There's a lot of fond memories of TaleSpin and DuckTales and the like that focus more on the solid ones, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

flashy_mcflash posted:

They needed someone besides Poppy and Branch that was recognizable since no one else from the usual Trolls gang went on the quest (for reasons largely unexplained)

From a Ron Funches interview I listened to a couple months back, it sound like it went unexplained to the actors as well, who found themselves unexpectedly cut out of the movie