Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What is PQuarm's primetime population like now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Node posted:

According to Secrets “too much so it’s ok if people leave because I gave my friend a fungi tunic”

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Node posted:

close to 2k still

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
You’re all welcome on p99green, I’ll even powerlevel with a druid or something

But I understand p99 isn’t for everyone lmao, its a loving snake pit sometimes

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
This is going as everyone predicted really. I fully expect an unironic post about being emotionally and physically drained from running PQ. I feel like an effective project manager for this sort of thing needs to be a little detached from the community and have a community manager buffer between them and the players.

Secrets is doing a great job of keeping everything open source, though. If someone wanted to pick up this turd and run with it, it’s totally possible.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

cmdrk posted:

This is going as everyone predicted really. I fully expect an unironic post about being emotionally and physically drained from running PQ. I feel like an effective project manager for this sort of thing needs to be a little detached from the community and have a community manager buffer between them and the players.

Secrets is doing a great job of keeping everything open source, though. If someone wanted to pick up this turd and run with it, it’s totally possible.

Absolutely. And let’s be fair, anyone who was going to run an EQ server in 2023 is going to be this way, or worse lol.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Server devs should only communicate through patch notes. Secrets has always been Kinda unstable/inconsistent but they also have wanted to be rogean/nilbog for like 10 years so let's see which nature wins.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if i ran the everquest server i would simply give fungi tunics to my enemies to keep everyone off guard

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sounds like it got removed.

It's amazing that after 20+ years EQ raiding is still full of insane people. You'd think they'd chill out about it after doing it for literally two decades.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 20, 2023

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Sankis posted:

Sounds like it got removed.

It's amazing that after 20+ years EQ raiding is still full of insane people. You'd think they'd chill out about it after doing it for literally two decades.

its not that amazing lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
it's entirely predictable, it's how almost every private server for a dead mmo tends to go

the only one I've seen not fall into that trap is phantasy star universe lol

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

It's self-selection bias in its purest form.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

kirbysuperstar posted:

it's entirely predictable, it's how almost every private server for a dead mmo tends to go

the only one I've seen not fall into that trap is phantasy star universe lol

TAKP is right there ya know. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of the people running that place be anything other than boringly professional.

The people crave unhinged adult children leadership.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Captain Oblivious posted:

TAKP is right there ya know. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of the people running that place be anything other than boringly professional.

The people crave unhinged adult children leadership.

Isn’t that a box server with 70 people playing or whatever?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That Little Demon posted:

Isn’t that a box server with 70 people playing or whatever?

Usually like 300ish but yeah.

Not overly surprising given that it’s more preservation project than actively evangelizing. And therein lies the key to not having literal children in charge lol.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

No it’s low pop because boxing sucks rear end

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It does yeah, but I get why they allow it.

Not my cup of tea so I just play unboxed.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

an iksar marauder posted:

No it’s low pop because boxing sucks rear end

Agree. Ruins a community

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Despite not playing EQ since Velious launched, I was persuaded to try out Quarm by a friend and have been enjoying reliving the nostalgia and have been pleasantly surprised by how generally nice and not terrible the random people I've run into while playing have been. It's pretty disheartening to hear that the project lead has baggage and people are concerned it's going to collapse, though, since the game is a significant time investment.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Kanos posted:

Despite not playing EQ since Velious launched, I was persuaded to try out Quarm by a friend and have been enjoying reliving the nostalgia and have been pleasantly surprised by how generally nice and not terrible the random people I've run into while playing have been. It's pretty disheartening to hear that the project lead has baggage and people are concerned it's going to collapse, though, since the game is a significant time investment.

My guild and crew are chill so I hope it doesn’t implode although I guess we will all be on a TLP if poo poo goes south

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
There always exist two experiences in the EQ emu world:The leveling up side and the end game side. The two are linear, one leading to the next if you go that route. The leveling up tends to be pretty chill, run into a lot of parents or WFH types that are just smelling the daisies and are generally nice. You got a few sweaty try hard that rule lawyer you on why they deserve multiple camps because you're not trying as hard as them or whatever, but that's pretty rare I've found. The endgame though is usually full of cut throat bloodletting and tribalism. I endure it on P99 because I like killing dragons and getting good loot, and any system that tries to move more towards something reasonable is met with heavy resistance. So if you don't really care about getting the BIS stuff for your class, just enjoy the leveling process and camping Efreeti or something along those lines with your buddies. If you do want to kill dragons, hooo boy buckle up.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Dudes, quarm isn’t going to die. What’s going to happen is the drama dev will flame out and some boring guy will take over.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

What boring guy? Quarm is a one woman show on the dev side.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Its open source so if/when secrets burns out some boring guy will take over is my expectation

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

That Little Demon posted:

My guild and crew are chill so I hope it doesn’t implode although I guess we will all be on a TLP if poo poo goes south

I think I missed the cut off with my weird night shift schedule with tranq and I haven't followed up since I basically ended up working for a week straight. They seemed like a good group of EQ nerds.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Classic EQ's raiding scene is basically designed to encourage lovely behavior and only attracts lovely people. It's competitive PVE. Some people love that, and that competitive nature brings all the rule lawyering and "if you're not cheating you're not trying' mentality.

Obviously most people want raiding without the lovely attitudes competition brings, hence why all MMOs do instanced raiding now. Classic emu EQ is really the only way you can get that these days anywhere (TLPs have all the stuff instanced these days, even classic raid targets, although the open world version is still there too).

At least, that's my opinion on why raiding in emu EQ is always a dumpster fire (but leveling is mostly great).

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Y’all should have experienced the Sullon Zek raiding scene if you wanted the pinnacle of online toxicity

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Y’all should have experienced the Sullon Zek raiding scene if you wanted the pinnacle of online toxicity

Oh do tell.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
On Vallon Zek we had the GMs siding aginst our guild (12 Prophets), including having the guild disbanded mid raid in hate. Why? Because 12 Prophets was the only full cross team guild. To make the server fun it was "limited PVP" based on 4 teams, Humans, Elves, Shorties, and Evil.

We had Defiant, they were a union of "Good", we had "Da Bashing Iggles", who were the embodyment of PVP first, PVP always.

Iggles would mostly clame ownership of lower Guk, they would attack even when greatly out numbered.

Specific people, my fav was a guy named "Mercenary" He was an SK that took my bards hard earned BP (Lambent). Because of this I learned many many pvp arts in how to fight back with the most insane class ever, a bard. All of them were cheese tactics, from fear kiting (slow and fear) to bating mages with ultra high restances, we had one hell of a time.

The server in my opinion was more fun because we had wars all over the place for no reason at all. Once item look was disabled it was even better. With item loot players got really really good at bagging good equipment, but of course raid gear became the gold standard that you would log on at 3 am in case a BP dropped.

So many mixed up memories.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Is it better than doxxing another guild's phone numbers so you could call them all when they pulled a boss and kick many of them offline?

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I've heard some crazy stories from the EQ PvP scene and goddamn it really was the wild west back then. The lengths people will go for numbers and internet dragons is nothing short of astounding.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the first melee to discover jousting in eq pvp was like the first ape to touch the monolith and immediately pick up a bone to start bludgeoning his rivals to death

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

blatman posted:

the first melee to discover jousting in eq pvp was like the first ape to touch the monolith and immediately pick up a bone to start bludgeoning his rivals to death

I recall watching paladin botb, just hours of jousting.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Bybus Slago posted:

I've heard some crazy stories from the EQ PvP scene and goddamn it really was the wild west back then. The lengths people will go for numbers and internet dragons is nothing short of astounding.

https://www.notacult.com/fansythefamous.htm

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I had a lowbie gnome on one of the team pvp servers and there was such a weird sense of comradery there. We'd be leveling and suddenly a bunch of elves would raid. We'd regroup and launch a raid of our own to get back at them.

Once I discovered that gnomes could crouch and get inside of trees in gfay so we'd do that around the newbie lift of gfay. I was a necromancer and would have my pet /sit in the newb hunting area to lure people who think they are gonna get some free bone shards

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Communist Q posted:

Oh do tell.

Phone posting so not able to type a novel but:

- The server was divided into three teams of good/evil/neutral based on your deity selection. No agnostics allowed. The server population was massively skewed to the evil team, with neutrals distant second and the good team as a much smaller fraction.
- No play nice policy existed. Corpse camping, bind camping, etc. all happened regularly and you could lose XP to players who were close in level to you, but if not they could just train you repeatedly anyway so you died to mobs. Some people got deleveled 10-15+ levels if they fell asleep. Hundreds of hours of work gone.
- Beyond that, people would openly use exploits and nothing would ever get done about it. Oops a random bard teleported across a zone and ninja looted a raid mob
- Guild drama amongst the same teams would often result in one guild training another by using another account

A nice Sunday night for someone. Greenie farmers would often lock down newbie zones rendering it impossible to level, a great experience for anyone trying out the server:
code:
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:23
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:19
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:25
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:26
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:20
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:20
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:21
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:24
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:22
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:28
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:26
Yong killed Lilnutz in Steamfont Mountains - Sun, 09 Mar 2003 19:29
I personally had a level 9 shaman bound in Kael so I could pop outside, SOW, then train anyone.

Truly feel this server was created to house the worst of the worst degenerates together and hopefully improve the other servers.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

A nice Sunday night for someone. Greenie farmers would often lock down newbie zones rendering it impossible to level, a great experience for anyone trying out the server:

My personal fav was charming and buffing noob zone mobs so they run around murdering new toons.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PyRosflam posted:

My personal fav was charming and buffing noob zone mobs so they run around murdering new toons.

I started playing during some special event that populated the starter zones with level 25 skeletons. It was hosed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When I first got EQ back in the early days I unknowingly rolled on a PvP server - it was either near the top or I liked the god's name from the manual - and some fellow newbies in Freeport asked if we wanted to hunt Dark Elves and I thought they meant mobs and got completely destroyed in the pitch black night in EC. Never even saw the players owning me. Later rerolled on a server another kid I went to high school with was on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I started eq visiting a friends house where he had a toon on rallos zek. Some level 5 barbarian Warrior with a 2 handed axe or something and he would javelin pvp.

I got hooked way too quickly but wasn’t great. I got a human monk to level 46 and decided I should start my epic. I started missing college to camp things for my epic and lost my scholarship for college. Then me and my friends were sick of EQ so we rage quit my character by training a poo poo ton of players in Lake of Ill omen…wherever the sarnaks were.

We had a party at a friends house where this was part of the activities. My friend took the keyboard and started mouthing off to the GM and he said something like “if you say one more loving word I’m going to kill myself”. She said something and he said “bang”.

20 minutes later I get a call from my brother…loving pissed off and asking why the cops are at my house and if I said I’d kill myself. We had to go over to my house, show the cops I was still alive, and they ended up leaving. My account was permanently banned, and that was it.

I ended up doing TAKP for a long time on my Mac and got a 65 necro and wizard and had a great time with it, sans suicide threats.

I’d love to get back in the game, but I have zero time to invest with kids and a career now.