Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Vinylshadow posted:

There's a lot of easy outs

The Master lied (what better way to mess with the Doctor than to dump their trauma off on them?)
The Matrix is flawed (has it ever not been?)
Something something machinations by other party (CIA, Shadow Proclamation, Great Intelligence, Absorbaloff...)

Even Susan would be a kind of reasonable explanation, though I far prefer her just being the Doctor's actual granddaughter.

But seriously, the entire story is given to the Doctor by the Master, a constant liar, using an "infallible" device - the Matrix - which has been shown to actually be fallible ever since its FIRST ever appearance where it was being manipulated by... the Master!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The best use of the premise would be to use it as an excuse to be able to get any actor in for a single story where they get to be the Doctor, like Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne, or David Morrissey

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eddie Redmayne already got.... hang on, let me check wikipedia..... THREE movies cosplaying the 11th Doctor, he doesn't need anymore!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dunno if I'd count his total screentime equal to three movies, but that kind of energy against the Chumblies or the Meddling Monk, maybe have him team up with the Corsair for some hijinks...

Could be fun

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

The best use of the premise would be to use it as an excuse to be able to get any actor in for a single story where they get to be the Doctor, like Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne, or David Morrissey

A season where it's all just guest actors playing the Doctor in one-shots. It would be a chance to make Richard E Grant, Rowan Atkinson, Jim Broadbent, Hugh Grant, Joanna Lumley all canon Doctors, and Joanna would officially be the first female Doctor instead of it just being for a charity skit. You could even bring in the voice actors from Big Finish like Arabella Weir (though I think most of the other alternate Doctors are dead now).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Vinylshadow posted:

Or some non-bland white male actors. Like Benedict Wong, or Rahul Kohli, or Meera Syal, or etc

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vinylshadow posted:

Wait. What? Like, a pre-Hartnell doc like Martin was?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

Wait. What? Like, a pre-Hartnell doc like Martin was?

Jo Martin was after Patrick Troughton and before Jon Pertwee!

Source: gently caress it, if Chibnall can just make up some bullshit I can too, and I like mine better which is the number one factor the Doctor Who production should always be considering at all times.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I always thought Meera Syal would make a great Doctor.

E: I think now is a good time to step away from the thread. See all you lovely people after all the Specials are aired. Genuinely happy to see an institution like this continue on and hope we all have a good time with it.

Coward fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 25, 2023

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Jerusalem posted:

Jo Martin was after Patrick Troughton and before Jon Pertwee!

Source: gently caress it, if Chibnall can just make up some bullshit I can too, and I like mine better which is the number one factor the Doctor Who production should always be considering at all times.

Honestly I think the best approach to stuff like this was described by Moffat when someone asked him "What happens if the Doctor runs out of regenerations" and he replied "Well if and when that happens we'll *make something up*"

The whole Timeless Child thing is as fanfiction feeling as the time lord cybermen for me, but it has as much or as little bearing on any individual story as the writer wants it to, and like Vinylshadow said, gives us the possibility of infinite unseen stories with whoever they want to cast as the Doctor. Man, we could have a TV version of something like UNIT: Dominion

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The new Master moments after discovering the Doctor has discovered and revealed to everybody that the Master was the Timeless Child after all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhsONGGv41I&t=14s

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Fil5000 posted:

Yeah, RTD was always better at this. During his tenure it always felt like there was something happening, be it the show itself airing, a trailer, the Christmas special, Torchwood, Totally Doctor Who, one of those CBBC animated shows, etc etc. And the beeb was always telling you those things were happening. They even got Big Finish actively in on things, with the Eighth Doctor Adventures getting broadcast on Radio 7 I think before they got released on CD?

BBC Radio 7 aired some of the 8 and Charley Adventures (but NOT Minuet in Hell, lol), and had great success with them, so they commissioned an original series of 8 Adventures, which is how we got 8 and LUCIE BLEEDIN' MILLER!

They still air BF stuff, like 10 and the War Doctor

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

BBC Radio 7 aired some of the 8 and Charley Adventures (but NOT Minuet in Hell, lol), and had great success with them, so they commissioned an original series of 8 Adventures, which is how we got 8 and LUCIE BLEEDIN' MILLER!

They still air BF stuff, like 10 and the War Doctor

I hadn't realised they'd commissioned the EDAs, I knew they'd broadcast some of the BF stuff before (given they frequently had Nick Briggs hosting the 7th Dimension slot it made a lot of sense), and yeah, I heard some of the 10 and War stuff that's been on recently. They do seem to do a batch of it every now and again too, I know the 5, Tegan, Nyssa, and Turlough arc that starts with Cobwebs was on there.

Honestly I'm disappointed that they relegated the 7th Dimension slot to weekends only, it's not like there isn't a ton of sci fi and fantasy stuff in the BBC's radio back catalogue and I'm 100% sure that BF would happily license them stuff.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Power of the Doctor rewatch musings
- Dan unceremoniously dumped back on Earth at his request, but cold non-farewell by the Doctor still out of character. A bad farewell to a short time companion.
- Sacha Dhawan's Master absolutely loving eats every scene he's in. Nonstop mindgames and belittling of humans. Dhawan > Gomez > Simms no contest. God I hope 15 faces off against his version of the Master. "Yes YES! Take me away! You'll all feel safer with ME in the building" :allears:
- Doctor asks that Yaz be given a gun due to her concern over the Master's plan. Completely out of character, and an absolutely massive writing sin. Not so much that A Companion Has A Gun, as this happens occasionally, but because the Doctor asked for her companion to carry one, and the stakes were nowhere near that level yet.
- Vinder subplot could literally not exist. He effectively turns up to shoot the Master, get his ship repaired, and that's it. Sooooooo why not have Yaz do it if you're so insistent on her holding the gun? Or have her sonic blast/laser rifle/sci-fi shoot the Master if you didn't want a companion holding a gun.
- Old companions trying out old tactics, gold bullets + cybermen, is a fun nod
- Ace is basically just an older version of her character, but Tegan seemingly just existed to gently caress up and patch the wires where the Holo-Doc told her to do. At least make her a hacker or a something so she didn't need the Doctor.
- Ashad is a waaaaaaaaayy more interesting and threatening a Cyberman than the Cyber Master's will ever be. Cyber Master's are dumb and I hate them as a concept because of how hamfisted they are. Ashad should have been converted into a Time-Lord with infinite regenerations, blammo instant long term villain.
- Fugitive Doctor still good. I still don't agree at all with the TImeless Child/Countless past versions of the Doctor plotlines Chibnall introduced, but Jo Martin loving rules in the role and has instant stage presence.
- All the previous Doctors turning up is always :unsmith:. I hope 2 and 3 turn up for a future multi-Doc story. I hope Eccelston comes back as well, but I don't think his relationship with RTD is going to ever be mended.
- All the old companions having a meeting is also very :unsmith:.
- The Yaz x Doctor romance subplot needed time to cook if they were going to introduce it, so it just felt doubly worse they only tried it for 3 eps and did nothing with it. Sorry Yaz, but at least you got the best farewell.
- If nothing else 13's death and regeneration scenes were really well done, and I wish we saw more sombre 13 than madcap scrunchy face FAM FAM FAM 13
- I'm glad The Fam concept is dead :colbert:

Honestly Power of the Doctor has a bunch of random weird poo poo going on, and a bunch of dumb plotholes, but it was loving fun - something that had been sorely missing from the vast majority of 13's run.

Farewell Jodie, you deserved better.
Chibnall, I'm glad you're gone.

Onwards to Tennant, Gatwa, and RTD.

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Does anyone know for certain when the new ep hits D+? I read that it’s either as it airs in the UK or once it’s finished, but I don’t think I’ve seen any official confirmation.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

supposed to drop at 1:30 Eastern Time in the US.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/doctor-who-special-episode-1-release-time-by-time-zone/ar-AA1kv8Xy

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I've yet to see anything online that tells me it's not airing at the same time.
https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1728428327218614542?s=20

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 25, 2023

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Two hours to go!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Vinylshadow posted:

There's a lot of easy outs

The Master lied (what better way to mess with the Doctor than to dump their trauma off on them?)
The Matrix is flawed (has it ever not been?)
Something something machinations by other party (CIA, Shadow Proclamation, Great Intelligence, Absorbaloff...)

Have the Time Lords show up. When the doctor protests that the master killed them they explain that they were worried about what the master was up to so they stuck him in a pocket universe to see what he had planned. The doctor inadvertently crossed into and found the version of the doctor the Time Lords had included. Now they need help from the doctor which kicks off the next story.

The Doctor goes back to being a bored Time Lord who took off, the timeless child story gets wiped, the Time Lords themselves are competent and a little more dangerous.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ooh, what about the time lords just show up again and the Doctor says "so you survived!" and they say "yes"

Worked for Anthony Ainley.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I somehow thought this was happening tomorrow, woke up to a bunch of Youtube notifications about transphobia, got sad, and now it's aaaaaaaaaall great again! :dance:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Ooh, what about the time lords just show up again and the Doctor says "so you survived!" and they say "yes"

Worked for Anthony Ainley.

"The Master turned us into newts."
"..."
"...We got better."

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I had kinda dreaded this whole shebang because bringing back Rusty AND Tennant felt a bit desperate but after seeing the Children In Need Short, Cowboy Bebop music and all, I'm feeling a little bit more hopeful?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
40 min to go!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I'm watching the doctor who celebration concert right now and I don't think I can feel more hype than I'm feeling right now.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Here we go!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God FINALLY

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
That is a vortex

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Feels like its been a minute since the last ep.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Modern day London? Doctor who is BACK BABY.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The look of panic on his face when she said,"Rose" :lol:

Edit: "Never trust a man with a goatee." :hmmyes:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
She’s a good mum, Sylvia still isn’t

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Meep!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Meep looks amazing

....the alien hunters not so much.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Jerusalem posted:

The Meep looks amazing

....the alien hunters not so much.

What, the pound shop kamen riders arent impressing you?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

This is utterly chaotic and I'm having the best time.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

This is utterly chaotic and I'm having the best time.

Agreed 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm enjoying it so far, yeah.