Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Annabel Pee posted:

Speaking of Ant and Dec gently caress them and Im a Celeb for putting Farage on. Not that I was gonna watch it anyway but its officially boycotted.

It's interesting to watch him, he's such a proper public schoolboy.
Maybe people will see him as less of a "man of the people" now he's telling them he does shooting every week or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Strategic Tea posted:

If it's like other businesses I expect a big part of each show having it's own company is down to the lenders. If I'm making a loan to fund Ant and Dec's Family Christmas Reminiscence about Dead Comedians, I don't want to be exposed to the risk of GB News' Covid Lab Investigation tanking the company just because both shows are made by the same people.

Honestly the former is probably a bigger risk than the latter.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Taear posted:

It's interesting to watch him, he's such a proper public schoolboy.
Maybe people will see him as less of a "man of the people" now he's telling them he does shooting every week or whatever.

I wish people would know what he did as a young adult and upto Brexit.
He marched around town shouting Hitler Youth songs, and was openly racist.
He was a chauffeur to Enoch Powell for a while.
He was caught setting up a tax haven for himself in Isle of Man.

People only think he popped up in 2015.

Having a full blown modern nazi in a prime time celeb show.
What the gently caress.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Sri.Theo posted:

The big breakfast had much the same energy.

The Big Breakfast was great. I loved Richard Bacon's outside brodcast bits.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My friend was in a family of the week on Big Breakfast, I know they have the tapes somewhere and I so want them to dig them out and put them on YouTube or something.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Lemon posted:

The Big Breakfast was great. I loved Richard Bacon's outside brodcast bits.

weird how his breath came out in clouds even during summer

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Blobby blobby, blobby blobby-blobby :holy:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

crispix posted:

Blobby blobby, blobby blobby-blobby :holy:

I think that was pretty much peak 90s Saturday TV.

Mr Blobby just bursting into the set and being an absolute chaotic dick still makes me laugh when I think about it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kin posted:

I think that was pretty much peak 90s Saturday TV.

Mr Blobby just bursting into the set and being an absolute chaotic dick still makes me laugh when I think about it.

He turned up on Radio 2 recently in the middle of the night while I was driving back from a gig. Such a bizarre thing to have existed at all and then to have had such an enduring legacy.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
The thing to understand about mr blobby is that he was made to be unsettling and poo poo as a joke yet what was made could not be unmade and what was parody became real.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

sebzilla posted:

He turned up on Radio 2 recently in the middle of the night while I was driving back from a gig. Such a bizarre thing to have existed at all and then to have had such an enduring legacy.

How does Blobby work on the radio? Didn't he just say "blobby"?

Anyway..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZEc1E4a3Ic

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've got the Going For Gold theme song stuck in my head now goddamn

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I've got the Going For Gold theme song stuck in my head now goddamn

I did a search to taunt you with some lyrics but holy poo poo Hans Zimmer had a hand in it's creation!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/22/hans-zimmer-soundcloud-music-contest

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

J33uk posted:

I did a search to taunt you with some lyrics but holy poo poo Hans Zimmer had a hand in it's creation!

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jan/22/hans-zimmer-soundcloud-music-contest

*what* drat

It's so catchy. You can't taunt me with the lyrics, I somehow still remember all of them

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Mr Blobby terrorising Jack Whitehall on TBFQ will never not be funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fw8xjB5u4

This was Barry Killerby's last official appearance as Mr Blobby, the mantle was passed onto the guy who runs the official Mr Blobby YouTube channel, Paul Denson, who has performed the role since 2015.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I hate mr blobby with every fibre of my being

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Really? He loves you.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

stev posted:

Really? He loves you.

That’s Barney

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The guy who played Jimmy Corkhill has died.

In honour of the great man...
https://www.facebook.com/Raretvandfilmbatley/videos/shooting-stars-brookside/1357555284608954/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
loving yikes at the blackface :cripes:

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

loving yikes at the blackface :cripes:

Yeah, Vic & Bob have a lot of that and a lot later than you'd expect/hope.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

they thought they were being ironic because they were white and thought racism was a thing from the 60s that didn’t happen any more. not an excuse but an explanation

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I walked by Jimmy Corkhill in stockport station once
He was in the panto here in stockport quite a few times, for some reason

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Trying posted:

they thought they were being ironic because they were white and thought racism was a thing from the 60s that didn’t happen any more. not an excuse but an explanation

How else are you supposed to portray a black character for the purposes of a sketch? See also Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon parody.

It's a grey area really, they're not "blacking up" in order to make fun of black people in either sketch.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

How else are you supposed to portray a black character for the purposes of a sketch? See also Murtaugh in the Lethal Weapon parody.

It's a grey area really, they're not "blacking up" in order to make fun of black people in either sketch.

I love Vic & Bob, but it really isn't a grey area.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dell_Zincht posted:

:wtc:
It’s not a grey area at all. You just don’t, or you get someone else to portray them.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, you can't hand wave it in any way. Even if the intention is 'innocent', it's such a horrendously loaded issue that there is literally no way to do it in a way which isn't inherently problematic.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I have to admit, the cut to Bob is funny, but they still shouldn't be doing it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

a character with recognisable traits other than “being black” can be played by a white person without issues and people will still get the reference

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It was a different, worse time.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Dell_Zincht also defended the black, brown and yellow makeup characters in Little Britain and Come Fly with Me in this very thread so um

don't think we're going to change op's mind about this kind of thing :)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

This year's I'm a Celebrity has a really annoying person in it called Nella. She's a youtube star, I've seen her at least once (potentially a tiktok advert?) but I can't say I knew her before the jungle.
She's extremely dramatic and kinda follows different social rules to the other people in the camp. I can't pretend that she's good or anything but mega annoying.

HOWEVER holy gently caress the reddit and digital spy (basically the only places left that talk about the show) communities are using it as an excuse to be really fuckin' racist and constantly get mad about her "playing the race card" or "hating men" or whatever the gently caress. God I feel ACTUALLY BAD about disliking her because of the way they're reacting.

Today - and I'll spoil this in case anyone is watching the show - Frankie Dettori went. Both forums are going all in with the idea that he only went because they don't want it to always be non-whites that go first. This came up last year since every black woman left almost immediately. The thing with I'm a Celebrity though is that it's only positive votes. People don't get voted off (or Hancock would have gone so fast last year) they get voted to stay instead. And Frankie was genuinely a boring boring guy. But it does show the british public don't seem to want to vote for black people.

Genuinely I think the racial dimension of I'm a Celebrity needs proper studying and people's reactions to this stuff is pretty scary to me.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

crispix posted:

Dell_Zincht also defended the black, brown and yellow makeup characters in Little Britain and Come Fly with Me in this very thread so um

don't think we're going to change op's mind about this kind of thing :)

Because once again, those characters weren't black or Asian in order to mock their ethnicity - certainly in CFWM's case they were expected to be showcased as the show was set in an airport, the very place you would expect to see people of various different cultures.

Both shows were written by and performed by two incredibly white men. A show comprising entirely of white characters would have led to outrage regarding a lack of diversity.

But it's clear we will never see eye to eye on this topic so I don't know why i'm arguing it - again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Both shows were written by and performed by two incredibly white men. A show comprising entirely of white characters would have led to outrage regarding a lack of diversity

Hmm, feels like there might be a better way to make a show more diverse than to slap dark paint on a white man.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Ting Tong Macadangdang.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

Ting Tong Macadangdang.

Yeah, Series 3 of Little Britain was utterly poo poo and legitimately offensive in places, I won't argue that.

I do believe that the portrayal of characters in CFWM weren't coming from a hurtful place though, just like Vic & Bob's weren't.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Boat Story on the Iplayer is really good. Both leads are fantastic, the villains are genuinely scary, the on-location shooting is gorgeous and more than anything it has a great sense of humour.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Because once again, those characters weren't black or Asian in order to mock their ethnicity - certainly in CFWM's case they were expected to be showcased as the show was set in an airport, the very place you would expect to see people of various different cultures.

Both shows were written by and performed by two incredibly white men. A show comprising entirely of white characters would have led to outrage regarding a lack of diversity.

But it's clear we will never see eye to eye on this topic so I don't know why i'm arguing it - again.
Lots And Lots And Lots Of Racism has meant that it's no longer possible to have positive blackface. Black people (the people who get to decide, not Caucasians like me) have had enough and deem the mere act of blackfacing up an issue ( not what you do while wearing it, although that can compound the terribleness). It's their prerogative.

There was a story a few years back of a young kid who did backface as part of a Mr T Halloween costume. It was clearly done because the kid like MrT yet Black people were still entitled not to like it. Blame the long line of racist shits who have poisoned the well not those who now object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Dell_Zincht posted:

the intended audience of come fly with me would certainly care about a lack of diversity, i'm sure