Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I am intentionally waiting until the current dungeon is not Ghosts to get that done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've mentioned it before, but Prophecy's final boss is the perfect anti-well design. They could also stop clinging quite so hard to the "30 second dps window after x minutes of mechanics" formula.

If they nerf well properly, it would be nice to run Dungeons and Raids as something other than the solar subclass on my warlock without sabotaging the fireteam's dps. But my worry is that survivability and damage would instead just be worse everywhere that it mattered.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

haveblue posted:

As far as I can tell you have to solo and master Ghosts, they don't have to be the same run

And no, you do not care enough

if i'm gonna do em both i might as well do them at the same time

but you are correct that i do not care enough

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Kith posted:

if i'm gonna do em both i might as well do them at the same time

but you are correct that i do not care enough

lol that is extremely untrue. A master run with a fireteam and a solo normal run is insanely less time and difficulty than doing them both at the same time.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Well I had my fill of re-installing Destiny 2 . Grabbed my exotic pulse rifle and messed around for an afternoon.
It's so weird that my 3 year old Season of Saint 14 or whatever auto-rifle got boosted to 1600 somehow by sitting in my vault, despite its max being "1000" . And it still kicks more rear end than whatever garbage is dropping nowadays.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sample_text posted:

Well I had my fill of re-installing Destiny 2 . Grabbed my exotic pulse rifle and messed around for an afternoon.
It's so weird that my 3 year old Season of Saint 14 or whatever auto-rifle got boosted to 1600 somehow by sitting in my vault, despite its max being "1000" . And it still kicks more rear end than whatever garbage is dropping nowadays.

If you mean Steelfeather Repeater, it does kick rear end but it can't be raised above 1600 thanks to sunsetting so you can't use it in anything where power level matters (raids, dungeons, most lightfall content, anything tagged as legend or master, and the vanguard playlist for some reason), but feel free to take it into casual crucible and give some people nostalgia flashbacks

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MJeff posted:

lol that is extremely untrue.

it's true for me because i care about actually challenging myself

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

Have you soloed a master dungeon before? That feels pretty next level.

Soloing regular dungeons or master dungeons with a party already feel plenty spicy to me. Solo Master dungeon feels like the ultimate dick smasher. Kudos to you if you can tolerate that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kith posted:

Big "I care a lot" vibes. Get after it!!!

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

MJeff posted:

If you want an easy solo raid spoils farm, use /join SpoilsXpress#1885.…

Yeah I remember seeing this previously. I might try it but I’ll only have 2 nights to play. I’m visiting folks for thanksgiving and won’t be back home till Sunday night.

Good notes in general tho.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Oxyclean posted:

Have you soloed a master dungeon before? That feels pretty next level.

Soloing regular dungeons or master dungeons with a party already feel plenty spicy to me. Solo Master dungeon feels like the ultimate dick smasher. Kudos to you if you can tolerate that.

i have been known to do such nonsense, yes. sometimes i stream it! and even remember to press the right difficulty button before getting into the activity!

but yeah i did solo flawless master spire of the watcher and some other similar ridiculous challenge things, i know the magnitude of what i'd be getting into.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Big "I care a lot" vibes. Get after it!!!

i'll do it next season when solo operative is up. i don't like the upcoming champ mods but solo operative is just too drat useful

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Decided to grab all the "legacy" content for 20 euros, I'm sure my 20 euro contribution will be enough to inject life back into this deadass game.

For my perspective I'm paying purely for the campaigns and strikes (that I plan to play solo).

What I've noticed is how much better this feels to play if you just enjoy it as a Halo style FPS and ignore all the loot poo poo entirely.
The loot in Destiny is godawful, and its system for creating gear is YEARS behind its contemporaries like Warframe and Borderlands.
I might be motivated to write an effort rant post about how bad it is, but as JUST a shooter it's pretty great.
20 euros for ~ 15 or so hours of missions and campaign story is a pretty decent deal for me.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Sample_text posted:

Decided to grab all the "legacy" content for 20 euros, I'm sure my 20 euro contribution will be enough to inject life back into this deadass game.

For my perspective I'm paying purely for the campaigns and strikes (that I plan to play solo).

What I've noticed is how much better this feels to play if you just enjoy it as a Halo style FPS and ignore all the loot poo poo entirely.
The loot in Destiny is godawful, and its system for creating gear is YEARS behind its contemporaries like Warframe and Borderlands.
I might be motivated to write an effort rant post about how bad it is, but as JUST a shooter it's pretty great.
20 euros for ~ 15 or so hours of missions and campaign story is a pretty decent deal for me.

I don't mean to be snide, but I don't think a looter shooter is the type of game you sound like you want, OP

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Lib and let die posted:

I don't mean to be snide, but I don't think a looter shooter is the type of game you sound like you want, OP

No, I like loot shooters, I have ~ 2000 hours in warframe, ~1000 across all Borderlans games.
Destiny is just not particular good at generating interesting loot compared to those two.
Excepting the exotics , which you're limited to one of, all the purple guns in the game are samey reskins with underwhelming perks. The Perks have no stat variance , so you can't luck out and get a stronger version of a perk, there's no variance in stats between copies of the same weapon, there's 0 connection between a weapon's looks and its function, upgrading or "masterworking" provides a joke of a bonus, there's little reason to try out new weapons when you can just infuse power level into your favorites, and so on.

Destiny isn't particularly good at the "loot" part of the loot shooter. It's working off an old crusty framework that hasn't seen much change since 2014, and its competitors just do a much better job at it nowadays, which I'm guessing is one of the reasons weapons feel so disposable .

EDIT: Also, unlike other , better loot shooters, Destiny is bound ball and chain to its dying PVP mode which it has to balance for, so no piece of gear will ever be too desirable to be worth chasing. Last time I remember playing people were considering a single shot grenade launcher whose one unique perk was that its grenade flew in a straight line like a RPG "broken" in PVP and it got gutted .
Tomorrow , Destiny could just remove all purple guns from the game, let you craft one of the various profiles or "frames" and attach whatever visual model you want to it as a skin or "transmog" and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them because the guns are so bad and forgettable .

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Nov 25, 2023

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Personally I prefer the loot balance in D2 far more than I ever did in Borderlands or Path of Exile. Too much loot!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's subjective. I like Borderlands and all that fine but honestly finding weapons that have a 2.1% difference is loving *tedious* to me. I much prefer Destiny's weapon system. While there's my own personal wishes for perks, etc (don't we all?) I don't think I could ever say I'd prefer a more Borderlands style weapon system.

Also Bungie reducing loot to, essentially, "exotic" and "regular" is so much loving nicer for me than the goddamn colour graded system from other loot games.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah I much prefer Destiny's system where it's relatively easy to get the "best" roll of something.

Also lol at Destiny not having enough loot when the #1 complaint has always been "600 slots for storing unused equipment isn't enough"

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

let's all go play division 2 instead

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
Mt biggest complaint of destiny when I first played was that all of the elemental choices mostly felt like picking the color of your bullets to match shields.

I’m the reworks of abilities post-stasis to have more distinct buffs/debuffs and visual cues for them was what really hooked me in. I think it’s been good for weapons too - perks like incandescent and or unraveling shots make things feel much more unique and fun.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Mt biggest complaint of destiny when I first played was that all of the elemental choices mostly felt like picking the color of your bullets to match shields.

I’m the reworks of abilities post-stasis to have more distinct buffs/debuffs and visual cues for them was what really hooked me in. I think it’s been good for weapons too - perks like incandescent and or unraveling shots make things feel much more unique and fun.

severance enclosure at its peak void explody-state basically had my pants wet from the second i logged on. god it was so good.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I always see severance enclosure build stuff but I just have never quite gotten the fun out of it. I should try it out again.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I always see severance enclosure build stuff but I just have never quite gotten the fun out of it. I should try it out again.

I'm not sure if it's as viable now as it was during Defiance, but there was an interplay between void debuffs, severance encosure, devour, and void overshield that basically made you an unkillable void force of nature as soon as you popped your first finisher on an enemy since those count as powered melees for SE. Throwing Regnant in your heavy spot just drove it into overkill mode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Warframe might have better loot but the gameplay feels like poo poo in comparison, I couldn't put more than a couple hours in before moving on

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Warframe has a gunblade though, something D2 is still sorely missing. (No, Glaives don't count)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Apparently they meant for glaives to be like a kind of riot shield and pistol style of play and boy, swing and a miss there

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

Apparently they meant for glaives to be like a kind of riot shield and pistol style of play and boy, swing and a miss there

that was my OG MW2 loadout lmfao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

RBA Starblade posted:

I get the impulse but yeah the design of the weapon is very bad at conjuring that power fantasy. I don't see a Glaive and wanna hide behind its shield, even if I intellectually know it's a strong shield, I see a glaive and I wanna wack poo poo with it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MJeff posted:

I get the impulse but yeah the design of the weapon is very bad at conjuring that power fantasy. I don't see a Glaive and wanna hide behind its shield, even if I intellectually know it's a strong shield, I see a glaive and I wanna wack poo poo with it.

men only want one thing and it's loving disgusting

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MJeff posted:

I basically stopped using glaives once I realized that the melee doesn't spawn any orbs. Not to say I didn't enjoy using them, I did, but why should I be punished for using a glaive the way that it was seemingly designed for? I will just use a weapon that can make orbs and kill things at a safer distance.

Bungo makes really weird decisions sometimes...

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Roctavian posted:

Pretty pumped for the radiant / precision / ignition stuff in the artifact

Eriana's Vow is back, baby! *wolfhowl*

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sample_text posted:

No, I like loot shooters, I have ~ 2000 hours in warframe, ~1000 across all Borderlans games.
Destiny is just not particular good at generating interesting loot compared to those two.
Excepting the exotics , which you're limited to one of, all the purple guns in the game are samey reskins with underwhelming perks. The Perks have no stat variance , so you can't luck out and get a stronger version of a perk, there's no variance in stats between copies of the same weapon, there's 0 connection between a weapon's looks and its function, upgrading or "masterworking" provides a joke of a bonus, there's little reason to try out new weapons when you can just infuse power level into your favorites, and so on.

Destiny isn't particularly good at the "loot" part of the loot shooter. It's working off an old crusty framework that hasn't seen much change since 2014, and its competitors just do a much better job at it nowadays, which I'm guessing is one of the reasons weapons feel so disposable .

EDIT: Also, unlike other , better loot shooters, Destiny is bound ball and chain to its dying PVP mode which it has to balance for, so no piece of gear will ever be too desirable to be worth chasing. Last time I remember playing people were considering a single shot grenade launcher whose one unique perk was that its grenade flew in a straight line like a RPG "broken" in PVP and it got gutted .
Tomorrow , Destiny could just remove all purple guns from the game, let you craft one of the various profiles or "frames" and attach whatever visual model you want to it as a skin or "transmog" and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them because the guns are so bad and forgettable .

A lot of this is just straight up untrue.

1) There is a connection between a weapon's look and it's function and has been for a long time, weapons within the same foundry share the same aesthetic and the same basic function. Hakke weapons fire slow and deal heavy damage, Omolon guns are slick all-rounders, Veist guns are fast firing with strong handling, Tex Machina guns are extremely yeehaw. Origin Traits further enhanced this, so if a set of guns are all from the same source, like a season or a raid, they'll all have the same origin trait, giving you a strong baseline idea of what the gun is capable of. All weapons from Crota's End have the Cursed Thrall perk, so they're decent picks for a melee loadout. All weapons from Root of Nightmares have Harmonic Resonance, so they're stronger when used together, especially against Tormentors and Lucent Hive, etc.

2) Bungie is always adding new perks to the new weapons, encouraging you to at least try new weapons. Season of the Deep added the refurbished Last Wish guns, and added a new perk to Techeun Force, Controlled Burst. Then Season of the Witch had The Eremite, a harder hitting, slower firing fusion rifle with Controlled Burst on it, making it a very strong damage dealing option. There's very clearly a lot of effort being put into creating new weapon perks that are strong, but not overpowered and finding niches and perk combinations that don't exist within the sandbox season over season and filling those niches. Also, the artifact always has multiple perks to increase the power of the last few origin traits added to the game, always softly encouraging you to at least try the stuff that's been added in the last few seasons.

3) PvP and PvE are balanced differently.

There are issues with the weapons in Destiny, mostly centered around crafting and the overwhelming amount of weapons in the game since sunsetting wound up not being a thing, but it's extremely weird that you picked on stuff that actually is being addressed.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

MJeff posted:

A lot of this is just straight up untrue.

1) There is a connection between a weapon's look and it's function and has been for a long time, weapons within the same foundry share the same aesthetic and the same basic function. Hakke weapons fire slow and deal heavy damage, Omolon guns are slick all-rounders, Veist guns are fast firing with strong handling, Tex Machina guns are extremely yeehaw. Origin Traits further enhanced this, so if a set of guns are all from the same source, like a season or a raid, they'll all have the same origin trait, giving you a strong baseline idea of what the gun is capable of. All weapons from Crota's End have the Cursed Thrall perk, so they're decent picks for a melee loadout. All weapons from Root of Nightmares have Harmonic Resonance, so they're stronger when used together, especially against Tormentors and Lucent Hive, etc.

2) Bungie is always adding new perks to the new weapons, encouraging you to at least try new weapons. Season of the Deep added the refurbished Last Wish guns, and added a new perk to Techeun Force, Controlled Burst. Then Season of the Witch had The Eremite, a harder hitting, slower firing fusion rifle with Controlled Burst on it, making it a very strong damage dealing option. There's very clearly a lot of effort being put into creating new weapon perks that are strong, but not overpowered and finding niches and perk combinations that don't exist within the sandbox season over season and filling those niches. Also, the artifact always has multiple perks to increase the power of the last few origin traits added to the game, always softly encouraging you to at least try the stuff that's been added in the last few seasons.

3) PvP and PvE are balanced differently.

There are issues with the weapons in Destiny, mostly centered around crafting and the overwhelming amount of weapons in the game since sunsetting wound up not being a thing, but it's extremely weird that you picked on stuff that actually is being addressed.

Or don't believe me. It's not like i'm an expert at this game by any way. I got hardstuck in the legendary witchqueen campaign today at the giant scorn baron bossfight

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mesadoram posted:

I basically stopped using glaives once I realized that the melee doesn't spawn any orbs. Not to say I didn't enjoy using them, I did, but why should I be punished for using a glaive the way that it was seemingly designed for? I will just use a weapon that can make orbs and kill things at a safer distance.

Bungo makes really weird decisions sometimes...

I stopped using glaives when I realized they were never going to fix hit reg with them in PvP. A drat shame as well, they would be a good option otherwise.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

FlapYoJacks posted:

I stopped using glaives when I realized they were never going to fix hit reg with them in PvP. A drat shame as well, they would be a good option otherwise.

Melee hit detection has been an issue since... launch? It's baffling :smith:.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If Glaives are really supposed to be a riot shield and pistol type of thing, it feels like they would've been better off not having the melee aspect at all and just being a pistol that uses special ammo and can spawn a shield. It feel like the game really does need a special weapon that fires hitscan projectiles at mid range with no charge time, kinda like a legendary version of Forerunner, and Glaives being a bladed weapon just confuses what you're supposed to do with them. Really unfortunate.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I feel like Bungie is unsure what role they want Glaives to have. The melee functionality and its interaction with perks and buffs is particularly wild, especially looking at how it's changed since release

I don't use them because melee builds are better without them and close/mid-range builds are also better without them

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The buffs to the Glaive damage of Synthoceps and Triton Vice make me at least a little intrigued about Glaives as damage dealers next season. Between those exotic armors and Close to Melee, you might get into some pretty wacky territory once you include your standard buffs and debuffs.

Although I don't think you can use a weapon surge to buff a Glaive melee, so that kinda hurts it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MJeff posted:

Although I don't think you can use a weapon surge to buff a Glaive melee, so that kinda hurts it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mesadoram posted:

Melee hit detection has been an issue since... launch? It's baffling :smith:.

I ricochet off more people using shoulder charges than I kill in pvp lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."
Glaves should have been special ammo swords. A melee weapon that can’t proc melee effects or elemental effects was always going to be DOA.

sunday at work fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 25, 2023