Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I sees what ya did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I love graphs that plot China, a nation of 1.4 billion people, against the US, a nation of 0.3 billion people, as though they were equivalent entities.

China has a little more than half the emissions per capita of the US, meaning once again and forevermore, USA #1 (at pollution)

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I believe in equal opportunities.

I absolutely believe in China’s capabilities to collapse our biosphere first. Let’s show those Anglos how it’s done.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puJePACBoIo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

guys im upgrading from 16 mpg city to 22 so i think we got this climate trouble on lock.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Real hurthling! posted:

guys im upgrading from 16 mpg city to 22 so i think we got this climate trouble on lock.

For every MPG you don’t do, I’m going to do three.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Real hurthling! posted:

This is just me turning onto the highway

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Think of all the carbon credits you can sell to this guy

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

For every MPG you don’t do, I’m going to do three.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I see some green smoke, it's fine

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020
Modes please change my username to The Sustainable Flypast

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

i thought of this thread too when I saw that this morning

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Universe please give me a clownish allegory for how hosed we are

No, that's too clownish

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/VRep0GR.mp4

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

buddy,

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://youtu.be/J75ZXWeCAkI?si=X36MKRQ__26LFksz

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
lol lmao et cetera

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-67508331

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

As someone who feels we have decades not centuries, reading the space flight thread is a loving trip :psyduck:

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Dokapon Findom posted:

As someone who feels we have decades not centuries, reading the space flight thread is a loving trip :psyduck:

i was 😬 the entire time during this radiolab episode about making space flight ADA-accessible.

https://radiolab.org/podcast/right-stuff-2307

Misc
Sep 19, 2008

i can't pay no doctor bill but wheelie's on the moon

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
they might be deeply confused, but every ounce of rocket fuel consumed helps

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

that's correct. if every human being consumed rocket fuel, the biosphere would be saved

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Misc posted:

OIL PANIC
Dec 22, 2022

CAUTIONS
4. ... (If the battery is exhausted, the display of the liquid crystal will become vague and difficult to look at.)
7. Do not use volatile oils such as thinner or benzine and alcohol for wiping.
once we become a spacefaring people, the proportion of ffs burned within our atmosphere will decrease, and we will be saved!
edit: even more saved than we already are, that is, given how immaculately the proportion of energy from non-ff sources has been increasing. and how splendidly energy and gdp growth are decoupling.
edit: and that's not even getting into the good word of second derivatives

OIL PANIC has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Nov 27, 2023

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Good news everyone, there's no coal or oil on Mars!

which reminds me of this

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Misc posted:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ikanreed posted:

Good news everyone, there's no coal or oil on Mars!

which reminds me of this

... YET

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

OIL PANIC posted:

once we become a spacefaring people, the proportion of ffs burned within our atmosphere will decrease, and we will be saved!
edit: even more saved than we already are, that is, given how immaculately the proportion of energy from non-ff sources has been increasing. and how splendidly energy and gdp growth are decoupling.
edit: and that's not even getting into the good word of second derivatives
Thank God that smooth functions are a thing. Without them, we'd be in a real pickle!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

A novel idea. Send colonists. Let colonists die. Wait 50,000 years. Harvest novel petrochemicals.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
i should actually read the thread instead of tilting at second hand takes, but how the gently caress are you going to get anything into orbit without fossil fuels. or is the idea that you can use renewables to generate the rocket fuel?

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Like, sub-"back of the envelope" math here*, but I think you need something like 30 MJ/kg to put something into low earth orbit, and even then you need periodic boosts to keep it from burning up in the atmosphere. Where are you going to get the energy density for this, if not fossil fuels?

* i'm just eyeballing this table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_orbital_energy#Tangential_velocities_at_altitude and comparing the energies of an "at earth's surface" "orbit" with a low earth orbit. i'm a biologist who played a lot of kerbal, please be kind when you tear me to shreds. but do correct me, i'm legitimately curious

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

SixteenShells posted:

i should actually read the thread instead of tilting at second hand takes, but how the gently caress are you going to get anything into orbit without fossil fuels. or is the idea that you can use renewables to generate the rocket fuel?

Power it with bitcoin, and please ignore my 4,000km supersonic whip if anything were to go wrong.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

you just build a catapult on everest and let her rip

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

SixteenShells posted:

Like, sub-"back of the envelope" math here*, but I think you need something like 30 MJ/kg to put something into low earth orbit, and even then you need periodic boosts to keep it from burning up in the atmosphere. Where are you going to get the energy density for this, if not fossil fuels?

* i'm just eyeballing this table https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_orbital_energy#Tangential_velocities_at_altitude and comparing the energies of an "at earth's surface" "orbit" with a low earth orbit. i'm a biologist who played a lot of kerbal, please be kind when you tear me to shreds. but do correct me, i'm legitimately curious

fossil fuels are not used directly in modern rockets. im sure someone is using kerosene or w/e for a first stage but for performance reasons most use a fuel that is fully synthetic (liquid oxygen/ liquid hydrogen, hydrazine or other fuel types specific to booster types or stages of flight). its probably the easiest application to power with renewable energy since any energy input likely could be replaced with electricity as the energy use is a rounding error compared to anything else we do.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

freezepops posted:

fossil fuels are not used directly in modern rockets. im sure someone is using kerosene or w/e for a first stage but for performance reasons most use a fuel that is fully synthetic (liquid oxygen/ liquid hydrogen, hydrazine or other fuel types specific to booster types or stages of flight). its probably the easiest application to power with renewable energy since any energy input likely could be replaced with electricity as the energy use is a rounding error compared to anything else we do.

ah okay. so we already have a high energy expenditure generating the fuel, but there's no reason that energy expenditure can't come from renewables?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

SixteenShells posted:

ah okay. so we already have a high energy expenditure generating the fuel, but there's no reason that energy expenditure can't come from renewables?

In fact, one of the cheapest ways to make hydrogen (after methane autothermal reforming) is electrolysis of water.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Rocket launches can also deplete ozone, I think this is partially due to the aluminum powder that is burned in place of traditional fossil fuels

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sure maybe we can find the energy budget for a space program in a decarbonized economy, but demanding we spend significant resources on space now while any delay in decarbonization causes massive harms requires ignoring that reality

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

hooman posted:

Guardian AU posted:

Planned gas developments on Western Australia’s Burrup Hub led by Woodside Energy could result in twice as much greenhouse gas being emitted as any other Australian fossil fuel development up for approval, according to an analysis by environment groups.

The analysis led by Greenpeace estimated the Burrup Hub expansion could lead to 6.1bn tonnes of CO2 across the decades ahead if fully developed – roughly 13 times what Australia emits annually. Most of the emissions would be released when the gas was sold and burned overseas. The scale of the development plans – including opening the proposed Scarborough and Browse gas fields and extending the life of Woodside Energy’s North West Shelf liquified natural gas (LNG) processing plant until 2070 – was the focus of a Monday meeting in Canberra between independent, Labor and Greens MPs and WA climate campaigners.

The roundtable discussion in federal parliament follows the WA government substantially increasing its rhetorical support for gas industry expansion. The premier, Roger Cook, told an energy transition summit earlier this month more WA gas could lead to emissions increasing in the state in the short-term but that would be good for the planet as it would lead to a “dramatic reduction” in global emissions by displacing coal overseas. The claim has not been backed by evidence.

Citizen, you can stop number UP any time you like, every little bit helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
We could power the rockets with carbon. bing bong