Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

People "came out in droves" but Biden only won by 40,000 votes in 3 states. It's an incredibly slim margin considering, well, 4 years of Trump.

I do hope that him being under indictment and/or on prison will depress Trump's vote but the polling isn't enouraging. Yes it's one year out blah blah but Trump should be at 0% now, not a viable candidate.

That's a quirk of the Electoral College, though. Just because a system has a quirk where certain states are more valuable votes-wise than others doesn't indicate that Biden was unpopular or didn't get any votes. He got 7 million more, or 5% more votes than Trump did.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dopilsya posted:

With the possible exception of healthcare, these articles aren't saying what you're arguing.

Your thesis here is "there is in fact a wide gulf between public preferences and Democractic Party establishment positions".

I'm using Joe Biden's views as a marker of the Democratic Party establishment.

But on the economy, the public preference is for lower inflation and more jobs. Biden's policy position is to reduce inflation and increase the amount of jobs.
On climate change, Americans want to become carbon neutral by 2050 which the article points out is Biden's policy position.
On Israel, Democrats don't have a well defined position (the division referenced in the headline), but the article points out that a majority of voters sympathize more with Israelis and a vast majority say backing Israel is in America's national interest. Unless you're arguing that Biden isn't doing enough to support Israel, he seems to be in line with the public preference.

If anything these articles make the opposite point-- the Democratic establishment is very responsive to moving their positions to be in line with what voters are perceived as wanting. You can argue whether they're actually good at achieving policy goals, but that's a different question.

At this point in my posting career I should have already learned to post quotes instead of links, especially when the people you are engaging with aren't doing either.

My point re the economy is that people are unsatisfied by the Dem response to inflation and worsening economic conditions, of which a plurality of Americans (its pics instead of quotes, no quoting, dammit), say that they are worse off than they were a year ago. Then I posited that the Biden admin, which for the sake of this discussion, is the face of the Dem party, seems to be ignoring or playing down, hence the also linked tweets.

Climate changwise, you have this

quote:

In a separate Center survey conducted in June 2023, a similar share of Americans (56%) said the federal government should do more to reduce the effects of global climate change.

And we even have strong support for nixing fossil fuels entirely

quote:

There are age differences within both political parties on this question. Among Democrats and Democratic leaners, 58% of those ages 18 to 29 favor phasing out fossil fuels entirely, compared with 42% of Democrats 65 and older.

Now compare that to the Biden's admin moves to expand gas and oil leases in federal lands, and the other fossil fuel friendly provisions of the recently passed (some of which are listed here: https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/2023/08/14/biden-ira-anniversary/).

Seems like a bit of a mismatch!

And oh yeah the Israel article, I was referring to this:

quote:

The lion’s share (69%) of Democrats and Democratic-leaning younger than 35 disapprove of how Biden is responding to the war. Just 24% approve. It’s the inverse among older Democrats. Most Democrats 65 and older (77%) approve of Biden on this issue. Few (16%) disapprove.

e: I admit that its hard to ascertain if that is in fact the majority without having the hard numbers, but it seems like with stark numbers like the below

quote:

younger Democrats don’t think we should be supplying military aid to Israel in its war with Hamas. A mere 21% agree that we should, while 77% are against it. Older Democrats are for it by a 53% to 32% margin.

it might be? But yeah I admit its not the clearest evidence for my point.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 25, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Shageletic posted:

At this point in my posting career I should have already learned to post quotes instead of links, especially when the people you are engaging with aren't doing either.

My point re the economy is that people are unsatisfied by the Dem response to inflation and worsening economic conditions, of which a plurality of Americans (its pics instead of quotes, no quoting, dammit), say that they are worse off than they were a year ago. Then I posited that the Biden admin, which for the sake of this discussion, is the face of the Dem party, seems to be ignoring or playing down, hence the also linked tweets.
If that's your point, fine, but you explicitly used the word "position," you can't just act like you actually meant you meant something else and then get snippy with somebody for thinking you meant the thing that you said.

Shageletic posted:

That piece is a year old and from when YOY inflation was 9% when it's now 3%.

Sentiment has not improved enough to be "good" but it has definitely improved since then.

Have a relevant pic and will edit it in in a minute -

As you can see from the notes, it's the graph is being used to demonstrate something else (here's the context), but it shows what it shows. It seems like there is a very, very clear trend, although a not completely consistent one, of people's feelings on the economy improving the longer/the more that inflation is down. We should expect that trend to continue over the next year if inflation stays low (and there's no particular reason except Murphy's Law to think it won't.)

The link you provided is from that low point; it appears the index has improved from ~55 to ~70 in that time. (Whatever exactly the index is measuring... don't know that off the top of my head.)

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 25, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kchama posted:

That's a quirk of the Electoral College, though. Just because a system has a quirk where certain states are more valuable votes-wise than others doesn't indicate that Biden was unpopular or didn't get any votes. He got 7 million more, or 5% more votes than Trump did.

Yes I know, of course. But the quirk is what gets the president elected, which is what matters in the end, not how (un)popular Biden is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Misunderstood posted:

If that's your point, fine, but you explicitly used the word "position," you can't just act like you actually meant you meant something else and then get snippy with somebody for thinking you meant the thing that you said.

That piece is a year old and from when YOY inflation was 9% when it's now 3%.

Sentiment has not improved enough to be "good" but it has definitely improved since then.

Have a relevant pic and will edit it in in a minute -

As you can see from the notes, it's the graph is being used to demonstrate something else (here's the context), but it shows what it shows. It seems like there is a very, very clear trend, although a not completely consistent one, of people's feelings on the economy improving the longer/the more that inflation is down. We should expect that trend to continue over the next year if inflation stays low (and there's no particular reason except Murphy's Law to think it won't.)

The link you provided is from that low point; it appears the index has improved from ~55 to ~70 in that time. (Whatever exactly the index is measuring... don't know that off the top of my head.)

I don't agree with the supposition that we should expect people's views on the economy to be improved by next year, but I do appreciate the link showing that there has been some change in it since the article I posted. I guess we'll see on that one.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Shageletic posted:

Now compare that to the Biden's admin moves to expand gas and oil leases in federal lands, and the other fossil fuel friendly provisions of the recently passed (some of which are listed here: https://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/2023/08/14/biden-ira-anniversary/).

e: I admit that its hard to ascertain if that is in fact the majority without having the hard numbers, but it seems like with stark numbers like the below

That a lot of Americans potentially support nixing fossil fuels and doing more to fight climate change doesn't mean that they are also in politically important swing states. If most of those dems are in California, appealing to them over people in IDK, Georgia, isn't going to help win reelection. Biden thus far has done what we expect Dem politicans to do, make larger system moves to support a transition away, while not going out of their way to alienate those industries. That politics is messy and complicated is no surprise; how much of those moves were about keeping the various different kinds of Manchins happy?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes I know, of course. But the quirk is what gets the president elected, which is what matters in the end, not how (un)popular Biden is.

That wasn't what was being talked about though, so it was jumping to oranges. Anyways, if you want to talk about it like that, those 33k votes don't matter either, it's just the EV numbers in the end, and Biden won by a very non-slim 74 EVs.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It's funny the "Biden barely won" so he isnt popular or a good candidate isn't ever used against Trump and his squeaking by.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

socialsecurity posted:

It's funny the "Biden barely won" so he isnt popular or a good candidate isn't ever used against Trump and his squeaking by.

Who here is defending Trump or saying he was a good/popular candidate? Do you have quotes?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

socialsecurity posted:

Worth noting that Biden's approval rating is just shy of two points worse than Trump's at the same point in their respective presidencies:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-approval-rating/

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Misunderstood posted:

In a non-recessionary environment, only MMT adherents would think that. Which, you know, their theories aren't baseless, but it's an extreme minority opinion among economists that loose fiscal policy in periods of high demand doesn't lead to inflation. And most economists think the ARA and BIA and IRA added a bit to (otherwise unavoidable) inflation. (That is to say, to the extent inflation was caused by Biden policies, it was caused by his best policies, and those policies are directly responsible for the high employment and consumer demand we have right now.)

I think it (e: direct stimulus) could possibly be a good policy (and the latest polling I could find actually suggests that people do support it, so I was wrong about that) but you're asking the Dems to take a flyer on some kind of fringe economic theories. If they're wrong and inflation bounces back up to 4% instead of drifting down towards two, that's a huge blow to the Democrats' electoral chances that would outweigh the check itself. If they were going to do some form of economic relief, it would probaby be "safer" to do it closer to the election.

I hate to be That Guy on the internet, but I'm not going to "provide you evidence" of Macro 101. Go find a textbook.

To help you out a little bit, the issue isn't "public aid," it's the government spending money. They could be buying stuff for any reason. If you spent less at the Pentagon and spent that money on public aid it wouldn't cause much extra inflation. And obviously I would support doing that. The problem is that the government refuses to cut anything that hasn't already been cut, or raise taxes.

Raising taxes to pay for expanded public aid likely would not be very inflationary, but sadly is the kind of thing the American government is currently incapable of doing. (Trust that all things pass and it will not be forever.)

I think any time you appeal to "macro 101" you are doing a huge disservice. Models that are taught in 101 classes are, across all subjects, overgeneralized and frequently wrong. If someone tells you how a system works and your counterpoint is "but that violates a principle from a 100-level class", they are going to tell you to finish your degree before you bother trying to comment on specific cases.

In this instance, let's counter macro with macro. Your argument is that government spending will cause inflation because it contributes to overall demand which, all else equal, increases the price of goods. That's true in the immediate term in a vacuum.

However, if the government spending leads to an increase in production by, say, creating new factories for cars and batteries, then over a slightly longer period the same policy might increase supply to an equal or greater degree than demand.

Another important point here is that when we are talking about inflation, domestic supply and demand of goods is not the only factor. We also care about exchange rates, and the balance of imports and exports. Notably, the policies applied by the legislation aren't strictly spending-related. The requirements for the rebates require domestic production of certain parts, creating a sort of back-door tariff. This creates a bunch of additional complexity, as in this case we are still buying imports (the machinery for the battery factories) but we also are cutting OFF imports for a different category (the batteries themselves). This leads to a bunch of different arrows in opposite directions - macro 101 is not going to tell you what the net effect is.

It's fine to cite experts that say inflation was caused, but you should ACTUALLY cite them here, not just appeal to authority.

Here's an article about how inflation rate has been higher in Europe than in the US: https://www.reuters.com/breakingviews/europe-faces-dirtier-inflation-fight-than-us-2023-09-06/

Notice how the woes they cite include weak exports and low GDP growth, both things that the policies in question would be expected to affect. In a lot of ways, I think looking at comparative inflation across different economies is much more valuable in determining whether a policy caused inflation than any amount of theory would be, and while you can point to other factors (European reliance on Russian oil), they still typically are going to be somewhat the result of policy (US investment in domestic production of oil)

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Kchama posted:

Hillary also got about 5% more votes than Trump did and still lost

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Hillary also got about 5% more votes than Trump did and still lost

Yes, but they were talking about if he was popular or would get votes people period, not whether or not he'd win by EVs. That's why going "ah, but he only won by 33k (EDIT:44k) in these swing states!" isn't the right answer.

Trump won by 80k votes in those same states in 2016, as a note. And he's the guy who the GOP is extremely excited about.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 25, 2023

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Who here is defending Trump or saying he was a good/popular candidate? Do you have quotes?

IMO this very common bullshit posting pattern of "why are all these people saying X" without quoting anyone (or preferably quoting multiple different people) should be like a week long probation. It's extremely annoying and causes a big number of the slapfights and bullshit derails.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

the_steve posted:

No one has said those exact words, but they have argued that his entire party is lockstep behind him and that Biden is weak and has his own party trying to get rid of him. Well, besides that one guy who was, in fact, arguing Trump The Dove unironically.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Eh... fiscal policy is kind of the main thing, and then there are other things, of varying levels of influence, most notably aggregate demand. Like I said, it's a bummer to be the "take intro :smug:" guy but... fiscal policy is the main avenue for controlling inflation, is it not? (We just have a dumb government where raising taxes, which tends to lower inflation, is impossible, so we just have to rely on interest rates.) There are absolutely situations where public spending doesn't cause inflation! For example, we spent WAY TOO LITTLE in 2009-10, because of dumb fears about inflation in a time when inflation wasn't a danger. But we are not in a low-demand period like that right now.

Like, 101 leaves out a ton of poo poo and no, it's not as simple as "more government money = more inflation" but in the current environment I'm not seeing the other factors that would counter that tendency and some that may exacerbate it.

It's reasonable to think there would be inflation from deficit spending, because it's already happened in the last few years. There's a St. Louis Fed report - it's paywalled, but here's a random link (sorry about the lame website, but they're just citing the Fed.) It's been estimated that Biden's spending programs led to 2.6 percentage points of inflation. Now, in a normal year, if that bumps it from 2 to 4 1/2, people might grumble a little bit, but coming on top of an unavoidable 6 point wave it was rough.

(Tangent) Of course, people ignore the good those programs did for the economy, which as we've discussed is very strong in some ways [job growth, etc.] If, say, the CTC had passed, it would have been a good thing overall but inflation almost certainly would've been even a little higher. Without those bills we could've had 5-7% inflation AND high unemployment and things might be really bad right now.

I really hope Biden can find some way to communicate to voters how miraculous the economy really is in terms of what was expected by economists in late '21 and '22. In terms of having a "soft landing" - inflation coming down without a spike in unemployment - even Paul Krugman, who is an optimist, a Democrat partisan, and an inflation dove didn't predict things going this well.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 25, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Atlantic has run an interesting piece on the abandonment of the New Deal and what comes next that’s worth a read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/11/new-deal-us-economy-american-dream/676051/

It’s especially interesting with myths of origin and the fight over traditions in mind.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BougieBitch posted:

Yeah, I think it's really important to distinguish between a war of defense and regime change. I'm sure there's someone out there that would claim that the current Ukrainian government isn't "legit", but it's a huge stretch compared to, say, any given US action in South America to prop up or depose someone.

The reason there was never any hope of making progress in Afghanistan is because there isn't popular interest or institutional inertia to keep a government working without training wheels, and associating that project with American imperialism just pushes back the date to that popular support ever forming. Based on my limited understanding, it doesn't really even seem like Afghanistan's borders make any particular sense - the people living there would probably have a better time if regions split into their own countries, and even then the whole idea of "national government" seems kind of arbitrary to impose on people that don't necessarily have a shared national identity or all that much desire for one. The fact that so many different empires have tried and failed to impose one on them seems like a strong signal that everyone should just quit doing that and let the people living there make decisions about their own governance, even if that means doing so without some overarching national government for the UN or treaty signing or whatever.

In contrast, Ukraine would have a functioning national government if Russia, the US, and the EU all got out and took their weapons with them - they had one before, the current one is probably still reasonably representative of the people, and it seems like enough people vote and/or are invested in a national project to defend it from internal or external foes

Perhaps biased by living in one of the scary stans currently but like, you do realise Afghanistan with its modern borders wasn't invented by the west right? It was founded with nearly the same borders 200 years ago (literally 200 years ago, 1823, we don't gotta estimate)by Dost Muhammad Khan several decades before having to fight the first of many british invasions it defeated. It is not a fake country and afghans tend to like being afghan, not fond of splitting into regions some guy half a world away thinks they should be in.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The Atlantic has run an interesting piece on the abandonment of the New Deal and what comes next that’s worth a read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/11/new-deal-us-economy-american-dream/676051/

It’s especially interesting with myths of origin and the fight over traditions in mind.

Thanks for sharing. That was a good article.

Kale
May 14, 2010

I genuinely cant understand whats giving Trump so much insane momentum right now in the head to head with Biden other than the U.S just seeming to default to the GOP no matter what. Like Biden has his flaws but Trump has them even worse including just being old and confused as poo poo in his own right.

It genuinely feels like within a couple years every major 1st and old 2nd world country is going to have a far right government of some sort and I'm not a doomer, it just seems like the trend.

Kale fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 25, 2023

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Instead of accepting that they got duped by an absolute clownman people would rather believe that one more push will vindicate their faith, abolish their enemies, and usher in the golden age.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shageletic posted:

There's one big flaw in your reasoning here: that poll was taken in October 2022, right before the midterms. Yet despite the fact that a lot of voters ranked inflation and the economy as the most important issues, said they were worse off in those issues than they had been, and said that the Republican approach to those things was better, the GOP did rather poorly in the midterms, gaining only a handful of seats in the House and losing a seat in the Senate.

It's easy to cherrypick one or two numbers out of one poll and say that single number is a decisive factor in politics, but reality typically doesn't work out quite so simply. Which is good, because the polls are saying that voters prefer the Republicans' economic policies, yet Biden has so far resisted the pressure to abandon his leftist stances and trend rightward on economics like the last few Dem presidents did.

There's also the fact that the inflation rate today is less than half of what it was when that poll was taken. While the price growth that already happened isn't going to go away, and some goods are still a bit unstable price-wise, inflation rates have already fallen back to normal and healthy levels. The Biden administration's policies appear to have done a pretty decent job at containing and bringing down the runaway inflation of the last few years, and they even managed to avoid triggering the recession that so many economists were convinced was absolutely necessary to stop inflation.

There are definitely some disturbing indications in polls, though. What's really disturbing is that although the Biden administration's policies and accomplishments are generally highly popular, voters aren't giving the Biden administration credit for it:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/14/white-house-bidenomics-polling-00126982

quote:

The PCCC and Data for Progress polling showed voters overwhelmingly supported central planks of Biden’s agenda — like slashing drug prices, protecting Social Security and eliminating so-called junk fees — only to then say they’d yet to hear much from the president on the topic.

For example, fewer than a third of voters said they’d heard much from Biden about capping the cost of insulin, a wildly popular provision that took effect back in January. Only 20 percent had “heard a lot” about work done to fend off threats to Social Security and Medicare, and even fewer were aware of the administration’s work on veterans’ benefits and child care.

One central barrier, the progressive groups concluded, was that the White House has struggled to distinguish its positioning on several major issues from Republicans. Biden’s insulin cap has spurred relatively little pushback from the GOP since it took effect, depriving him of the kind of sustained partisan back-and-forth that might elevate the subject in voters’ minds.

On Social Security, the president earlier this year goaded Republicans into swearing off cuts to the program, heading off what Democrats anticipated would be a high-volume fight. That represented a major victory in the moment. But the longer-term impact, the PCCC and Data for Progress polling found, is that voters remain divided over whether Biden or Trump would be more likely to protect their benefits. Trump publicly urged Republicans to leave social insurance programs alone during that debt ceiling fight earlier this year. The polling found that many respondents don’t believe Republicans would now slash Social Security.

“Biden was almost a victim of his own success,” said Danielle Deiseroth, executive director at Data for Progress. “Yes, we should be educating voters about [Biden’s policies]. … But it’s also about going on offense and picking fights.”

It's not like Biden isn't talking about this poo poo, either. It's just not getting picked up by the discourse.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Kale posted:

I genuinely cant understand whats giving Trump so much insane momentum right now in the head to head with Biden other than the U.S just seeming to default to the GOP no matter what. Like Biden has his flaws but Trump has them even worse including just being old and confused as poo poo in his own right.

It genuinely feels like within a couple years every major 1st and old 2nd world country is going to have a far right government of some sort and I'm not a doomer, it just seems like the trend.

A sizable percentage of dem voters have been successfully convinced Trump "wasn't that bad" and are clueless about Biden's presidency except for the inflation, which they feel every day.

These are the challenges we are dealing with. Biden has his work cut out for him bringing these strays back.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

There's one big flaw in your reasoning here: that poll was taken in October 2022, right before the midterms. Yet despite the fact that a lot of voters ranked inflation and the economy as the most important issues, said they were worse off in those issues than they had been, and said that the Republican approach to those things was better, the GOP did rather poorly in the midterms, gaining only a handful of seats in the House and losing a seat in the Senate.

Yeah, I admit the Oct 2022 date doesn't make my link a slam dunk, but I'd argue that there a multitude of factors affecting that particular election, including abortion being a big driver for Dem voting. But my argument hasn't been about electability. But a gulf between public preferences, and Democractic elite decision making.

quote:

There's also the fact that the inflation rate today is less than half of what it was when that poll was taken. While the price growth that already happened isn't going to go away, and some goods are still a bit unstable price-wise, inflation rates have already fallen back to normal and healthy levels. The Biden administration's policies appear to have done a pretty decent job at containing and bringing down the runaway inflation of the last few years, and they even managed to avoid triggering the recession that so many economists were convinced was absolutely necessary to stop inflation.

Again, its about public preferences. And when it comes to mainstream economic indicators of inflation like CPI, there are a number of well-known limitations in it that might be responsible for the difference between it slowing down and people's concerns about it. But either way, prices now are more expensive than they were a year ago, and wages and savings for most people haven't risen to match that.

quote:

There are definitely some disturbing indications in polls, though. What's really disturbing is that although the Biden administration's policies and accomplishments are generally highly popular, voters aren't giving the Biden administration credit for it:

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/11/14/white-house-bidenomics-polling-00126982

It's not like Biden isn't talking about this poo poo, either. It's just not getting picked up by the discourse.

When it comes to insulin, maybe this might be another reason why most people haven't felt that reform is that it is only limited to individuals enrolled in Medicare. People with private insurance, who are the ones most suffering from the price inflation of insulin, was explicitly carved out of the IRA. If there has been any new advancement on that, I am not aware of it, but please let me know if I'm wrong here.

It's part and parcel of Biden's accomplishments, which, in a very Obama way, are limited and are not explicit easy to enroll in or receive social benefits for Americans as a whole. It's something that a public huckster like Trump knew instinctively. It's why his covid checks, sent without the need to apply through some laborious process or through strict financial vetting, had his stupid signature in big honking letters. It's something Dems need to seize on as well, if they're gonna get any recognition from the public for anything they do.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kale posted:

Part of it is that Trump caught lightning in a bottle. Nobody in their right mind believed for a second that Trump was actually going to win in 2016.
Since he did though, you have a lot of "younger" people in the party now trying to emulate him to copy that success or at least get attention paid to them, so for the past 8 years there's an increased notion/conventional wisdom that what Trump does/did works. Whether it actually does or not is moot as long as the perception is there that doing things Trump style is just what gets results.
And with that in mind, it's not a drastic leap in logic to assume that the guy the new system is named after would obviously be a good choice.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Instead of running your stupid loving mouth you should try reading the loving articles that your dumb rear end posted, you snippy little bitch.

1. Economy/inflation- nothing you're saying has anything to do with your thesis. The tweets you posted clearly show that Biden is in favor of reducing inflation and increasing the number of jobs. The fact that people in that poll don't think he's achieving his policy goals doesn't mean that it is not a goal set by the Democratic establishment.

2. Climate Change,- Look at the graphs in your own article: less than a third of the populace thinks oil and gas drilling should be discouraged. Only 39% think coal mining should be discouraged. Only 31% of adults think fossil fuels should be completely phased out. Here, again Biden is basing policy positions on what the majority/plurality think they want.

Right next to the big orange "2" in your own article posted:

Overall, about three-in-ten adults (31%) say the U.S. should completely phase out oil, coal and natural gas. More than twice as many (68%) say the country should use a mix of energy sources, including fossil fuels and renewables.

About two thirds of Americans think that wind and solar power production should be encouraged. You might not think Biden is going about it in the right way, but he has clearly set that as a policy goal. https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...-manufacturing/

3. Israel policy: Again, read your own article. It's not "hard to ascertain" you illiterate loving idiot, the article specifically and clearly states that a majority of Americans support Israel. Biden's policy position is again in line with what the majority of Americans want.

Your own article posted:

Voters overall, on the other hand, are 53% in support to 39% opposed for more military aid for Israel.

Fissures like these are part of the reason why Biden would have a tough time politically shifting away from Israel. On every question Quinnipiac asked about the conflict, the feelings of the entire electorate were more in-line with the Israeli position (and that of older voters) than the other option given.

All voters by a 54% to 24% margin sympathized more with Israelis than Palestinians. Voters, including Democrats, Republicans and independents, by a 73% to 19% margin said backing Israel was in the national interest of America.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, I admit the Oct 2022 date doesn't make my link a slam dunk, but I'd argue that there a multitude of factors affecting that particular election, including abortion being a big driver for Dem voting. But my argument hasn't been about electability. But a gulf between public preferences, and Democractic elite decision making.

Again, its about public preferences. And when it comes to mainstream economic indicators of inflation like CPI, there are a number of well-known limitations in it that might be responsible for the difference between it slowing down and people's concerns about it. But either way, prices now are more expensive than they were a year ago, and wages and savings for most people haven't risen to match that.

When it comes to insulin, maybe this might be another reason why most people haven't felt that reform is that it is only limited to individuals enrolled in Medicare. People with private insurance, who are the ones most suffering from the price inflation of insulin, was explicitly carved out of the IRA. If there has been any new advancement on that, I am not aware of it, but please let me know if I'm wrong here.

It's part and parcel of Biden's accomplishments, which, in a very Obama way, are limited and are not explicit easy to enroll in or receive social benefits for Americans as a whole. It's something that a public huckster like Trump knew instinctively. It's why his covid checks, sent without the need to apply through some laborious process or through strict financial vetting, had his stupid signature in big honking letters. It's something Dems need to seize on as well, if they're gonna get any recognition from the public for anything they do.

The very poll you posted says that Americans placed way more importance on inflation and the economy than they did on abortion.

Moreover, voters didn't say that Democrats' approach was out of sync with their preference, they straight-up said that they preferred the GOP approach.

So if this poll is accurate, then Biden should drop all his price-reduction plans and public assistance programs, and instead start slashing welfare and cutting taxes.

As for insulin, the reason the insulin price cap only applies to Medicare recipients is because of Republicans. The Dems originally wanted to pass a universal cap on insulin prices, but although that passed the House and was backed by every Senate Democrat, the effort was blocked by Senate Republicans, who filibustered it. It's not like Biden's been quiet about that, either - he openly called for a universal price cap on insulin costs during his last State of the Union speech.

For all the "limited-time tax credits for disadvantaged families" jokes people crack about the Dems, the Biden administration has not been particularly prone to pushing for halfassed policies. When they end up half-assed, it's because of the unanimous opposition of Senate conservatives combined with the extremely narrow Senate majorities the Biden administration has had to contend with.

The Trump COVID checks are a particularly funny example to use here, because those were significantly cut down in the face of heavy opposition from Congressional Republicans, despite the fact that Dems were all for it. That's particularly true for the final round of checks, where Trump embraced Democratic proposals for a round of $2000 checks, but they were blocked by relentless opposition from McConnell.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bodyholes posted:

A sizable percentage of dem voters have been successfully convinced Trump "wasn't that bad" and are clueless about Biden's presidency except for the inflation, which they feel every day.

These are the challenges we are dealing with. Biden has his work cut out for him bringing these strays back.

You mean swing/"undecided" voters I assume

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah "Trump's checks" that like to get thrown around as an attack here was just him signing a bill fought hard by House Democrats. I mean he didn't veto it so sure some amount of credit I guess, but he didn't write the bill or even champion for it so it's very unclear why he gets 100% of the credit and the Democrats get attacked for not doing the checks.

Kale
May 14, 2010

the_steve posted:

Part of it is that Trump caught lightning in a bottle. Nobody in their right mind believed for a second that Trump was actually going to win in 2016.
Since he did though, you have a lot of "younger" people in the party now trying to emulate him to copy that success or at least get attention paid to them, so for the past 8 years there's an increased notion/conventional wisdom that what Trump does/did works. Whether it actually does or not is moot as long as the perception is there that doing things Trump style is just what gets results.
And with that in mind, it's not a drastic leap in logic to assume that the guy the new system is named after would obviously be a good choice.

It seems to work when the incumbent has slipped into unpopularity, but they don't seem to last long in countries that don't have sham elections.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah "Trump's checks" that like to get thrown around as an attack here was just him signing a bill fought hard by House Democrats. I mean he didn't veto it so sure some amount of credit I guess, but he didn't write the bill or even champion for it so it's very unclear why he gets 100% of the credit and the Democrats get attacked for not doing the checks.
Why do you think he made sure to take credit for it? Because he knows it was a popular move and people pay way more attention to what the President is doing than Congress, in general.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why do you think he made sure to take credit for it? Because he knows it was a popular move and people pay way more attention to what the President is doing than Congress, in general.

True and I expect it to work on the general "I don't pay attention to politics crowd" but when a person uses it when they are trying school someone on in depth political details it just makes their whole argument look circumspect.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

the_steve posted:

Here's a post that heavily insinuated that Trump was a good/popular candidate (if you agree that a "successful" candidate is a "good" or "popular" candidate):

the_steve posted:

Granted, this post was made after you asked about quotes, so that's fair if it doesn't count

Kalit fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 26, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Kale posted:

You have to take into account the digital disinformation factory and psychological manipulation machine at work, which has turned his opponents into literal baby-eating monsters, and successfully positioned him as the literal saviour of mankind in the minds of millions. Which creates enough energy for those millions to influence others too. It's completely destabilised the very notion of Truth itself, and created a wholly alternative reality.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Bucky Fullminster posted:

You have to take into account the digital disinformation factory and psychological manipulation machine at work, which has turned his opponents into literal baby-eating monsters, and successfully positioned him as the literal saviour of mankind in the minds of millions. Which creates enough energy for those millions to influence others too. It's completely destabilised the very notion of Truth itself, and created a wholly alternative reality.

This, uh, is not reassuring!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Bodyholes posted:

the high interest rates making buying a house a pipe dream for a lot of people is another thing. even if your wages rose faster than inflation, buying a house rapidly ran out of reach

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i know it's been oft-repeated, but polls this far out are not reliable indicators of how the election goes

people are unhappy with biden and the polls are gonna reflect that, but when they sit down to actually cast their votes next year and their other choice is donald trump, whose bullshit they've been hearing all election season, pulling the lever for trump is gonna be a lot harder of a sell than the hypotheticals they are given right now.

that said, biden needs to take things super seriously because i do think trump winning is not even remotely unlikely, and i genuinely do think trump winning would be a far larger catastrophe for us than it was in 2016.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kalit posted:

Here's a post that heavily insinuated that Trump was a good/popular candidate (if you agree that a "successful" candidate is a "good" or "popular" candidate):

Granted, this post was made after you asked about quotes, so that's fair if it doesn't count

Easy there, I'd hate for you to pull your back out on that big of a reach.

But for the sake of clarification: Trump and Hillary were both monumentally lovely candidates. Hillary thought she was going to just sleepwalk her way through the general, Trump was Trump. The only difference is that he managed to thread the needle to get himself past the post, which I would not classify as Good or Popular, merely successful - So to your part in parentheses, no, I do not agree that successful is necessarily good or popular.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

the_steve posted:

Trump and Hillary were both monumentally lovely candidates. Hillary thought she was going to just sleepwalk her way through the general, Trump was Trump. The only difference is that he managed to thread the needle to get himself past the post

And Steve Bannon and Roger Stone worked with wikileaks and Guccifer to time the release of the Podesta emails, and then use FBIanon and Jack Posobiec and Erik Prince and Mike Flynn to turn that into Pizzagate, which directly and indirectly created enough energy to help get them over the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

the high interest rates making buying a house a pipe dream for a lot of people is another thing. even if your wages rose faster than inflation, buying a house rapidly ran out of reach

In fairness for millennials... it wasn't in reach before that anyway. Add it to the pile.