Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArmTheHomeless
Jan 10, 2003

Black Griffon posted:

How manageable are the later missions for a solo? I'm perfectly fine in the first two zones, but the core seems kinda harrowing.

Some of them are manageable but others you'd have to be extremely good to solo such as the "clear infested stronghold in red area"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Melee is so absurd strong. You just need to scratch the enemy and it’s a kill. My top 3 kill rounds today happened with knives, it’s hilarious.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mr.PayDay posted:

Melee is so absurd strong. You just need to scratch the enemy and it’s a kill. My top 3 kill rounds today happened with knives, it’s hilarious.

Try out the ninja stars. The game gives you 6 at a time. They come out instantly and one shot at most ranges.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It looks like they've changed how Armory works so that the "win any match" bonus condition is just unlocked all the time. Either that or it's a reward for hitting 55, not sure.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

It looks like they've changed how Armory works so that the "win any match" bonus condition is just unlocked all the time. Either that or it's a reward for hitting 55, not sure.

They changed this about a week ago in one of the balance patches that came out.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Mr.PayDay posted:

Try testing how far you can miss by in a Private match and it still swings around and hits. You can get them not just out of the cursor but completely off screen, it’s wildly stupid.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I think with the higher ttk it’s become obvious how good the knife meta is. Guys are going nuts on rust.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

soggybagel posted:

Yeah I think with the higher ttk it’s become obvious how good the knife meta is. Guys are going nuts on rust.

Is it actually a higher TTK? We added 50hp, but also every gun went up in damage. I genuinely don't know how much the actual ms increase was.

E: I say that assuming it's gone up somewhat, just not as much as we might have imagined.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

soggybagel posted:

As a solo, is there a way to fast track to 5000 essence so I can pack a punch fast? Ive only done zombies a couple times and it felt like any mission I faced with mercenaries I couldn't really handle solo before i packed.

Don’t do merc missions. Focus on the cargo delivery ones and outlast/weapon cache missions. Those are doable solo even with bad weapons. Once you do a couple and loot some stuff you should have enough to PaP something. From there it basically helps you do more faster which leads to more resource which leads to even faster clear times.

Eventually you reach a point where you start missions with all the extra stuff you didn’t use last mission + stuff you crafted which negates the entire early game and lets you get right into the action focusing on the story missions or doing harder contracts.

Mercs did get balanced a couple of days ago so they don’t instantly delete your armor but they’re still generally very annoying to fight.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Shockeh posted:

Is it actually a higher TTK? We added 50hp, but also every gun went up in damage. I genuinely don't know how much the actual ms increase was.

E: I say that assuming it's gone up somewhat, just not as much as we might have imagined.

Yeah I guess I don't know the actual hard numbers so I'm going off "feel" or anecdotal "vibes" but I just have had a lot more medium range engagements where I feel like i get 3 or 4 hit markers and it ends in a stalemate. So its probably actually a miniscule thing but over the course of a few hours of play it feels noticeable in my mind.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh I'm not necessarily disagreeing, either.

Without hard data (and I'm sure a goon Numbers Person will be along soon) I'd guess TTK went up in the mid-range, where damage falloffs occur, much higher at long, and has managed to stay the same or even shorter within the minimum falloff ranges.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

it's ~100-150ms slower on paper, but in practice that plus the stk means it's much more possible to duck to cover before you get evaporated with no chance to respond or even slide, particularly at mid to long range

I was finishing out some guns in hardcore and thinking it barely felt different than playing mw2 core

damage zones are actually a bit more forgiving than mw2 on average - always a good time losing a fight in that game because you hit an arm with one bullet - there are still guns that require torso specifically but a lot are entire upper body

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Oh yeah, the change in Zones too is huge, with so many guns now having headshot multipliers on Neck, and more guns that do the same on Upper/Lower Torso, etc.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

And then you get moments where you think you fired the right amount to kill... only to realize you just missed like half of those shots. Feels like that's happening a lot now. Or maybe I never learned to get better.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hopped back to m+kb after a couple of days on controller, and while a couple of days isn't really that long, it still feels like the weights are off when I'm on m+kb. I just don't get those pixel perfect snap aim shots on controller.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

What is the prime/scope for sniping in CoD? I’m used to the point and shoot of Destiny but I am whiffing constantly. Still leveling the KV though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

^burtle posted:

What is the prime/scope for sniping in CoD? I’m used to the point and shoot of Destiny but I am whiffing constantly. Still leveling the KV though.

I don’t know what the meta is, but I use the Forge Tac Delta 4 on everything, it’s a clean acog that has like a 5ish-x zoom. It’s a MW2 scope though, I don’t know if you can unlock it solely in MW3.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Died and lost all my stuff twice in zombies today. The first time, a zombie bonked me on my rear end and knocked me out of the exfil chopper door. The second, the game crashed when I tried to type in game chat

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

^burtle posted:

I was about to write words about the Signal 50, which is a decent support sniper if your team is prone to pushing, and then it reminded me how sad I am about the Carrack.

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

So I was exactly today years old when I learned if you hit LT over an attachment in the gunsmith it gives you the exact stats. Is that new?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Yeah, added with MW3.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A bunch of them are also wrong!

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Do I trust the stats or the description? There’s a few conflicting ones

Orv
May 4, 2011
In the cases I've found description seems to be accurate more often than not but also lmao ever trusting weapon stats in a shooter.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

One thing that I wish was different about the ping system is that the pings last too long. I'm sure it's important to linger for a long time in Warzone when you are moving large distances and need to mark where you're going, but I find myself constantly canceling red pings in MP because I pinged someone who then immediately died. It's one thing if there is a massive push coming from one angle but for MP that angle tends to be "everywhere".

Having the pings auto-despawn after 5 seconds or so would be helpful, especially since they don't track once the enemy leaves your LOS.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm not totally sure it's been mentioned, but lethals and non-lethals in the equiped slots get unlocked if you extract with them in zombies, not just weapons. If you play a lot of zombies, it won't take too long to unlock the whole armory.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Black Griffon posted:

I'm not totally sure it's been mentioned, but lethals and non-lethals in the equiped slots get unlocked if you extract with them in zombies, not just weapons. If you play a lot of zombies, it won't take too long to unlock the whole armory.

I'm just missing the Striker 9 for the available stuff in Zombies. Then I can work on the rest of my unlocks (except Covert Sneakers lmao)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I find it incredibly relaxing to go into ground war and just use the tanks. I immediately shoot down the enemy transport helicopter and then just long range kill all the snipers. It's really fun for me. I think its overall a wise game design decision but it does kind of suck that once a javelin is locked on and shot at you there is no way to escape it other than if you can get under cover like inside a building or something.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

soggybagel posted:

I find it incredibly relaxing to go into ground war and just use the tanks. I immediately shoot down the enemy transport helicopter and then just long range kill all the snipers. It's really fun for me. I think its overall a wise game design decision but it does kind of suck that once a javelin is locked on and shot at you there is no way to escape it other than if you can get under cover like inside a building or something.

Bring a trophy system? Those are still around, I think?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I had a great moment last night where I was playing Hardpoint and I threw a grenade while on the point, which immediately blew up in my face and killed me because the enemy had a trophy system on the floor.

I respawn, fight my way back to the point, instinctively throw another grenade, and the *same* trophy system blows me up again because no one had thrown anything that would have used up the rest of the charges.

I just have to wonder what the guy who put it down was thinking when he got a double kill off a trophy system.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Good point, I don't think I have it unlocked yet! Also on Ground War I do turn my mic back on to OPEN so I can hear death mics. People get very mad when you don't let them just sniper camp at the top oof cranes all map when you shoot them repeatedly with a tank.

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you played a bunch of zombies prior to a week and change ago, looks like they retroactively granted you your battle pass XP, should you care about such things.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Running into an enemy held objective and dropping a trophy system is one of God's gifts.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Laserface posted:

Running into an enemy held objective and dropping a trophy system is one of God's gifts.

Makes me miss the Martyrdom perk.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I might not go that far.

What's really a missed opportunity now that we have discrete melee weapons is to not bring back the Commando, Marthon, Ninja/Lightweight build for just one year.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
My hot take is if you have a knife out and take damage, it should break your sprint.

Knife running remains viable while not tanking 3-4 shots and still beating a gun.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Alternatively, you should sprint faster after being shot. Maybe like four or five times as fast and then your melee should go further.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Alternatively you could make it so that you can throw your knife for a one hit kill, but then to balance it out you have to go and get it back afterwards.

But that's silly, it would make riot shield users an outsized nightmare to fight.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
if you think that, in the series that aims the gun for you and sets your aim after recoil and flinch to neutral automatically, (oh, and fires the bullets right from your face so longguns have no CQC disadvantage, that's a classic) that melee is still *too* viable, idk that shooters are really for you.

e. oh poo poo and because of client-side hit detection, on top of the easy mode shooting, your bullets go back in time vs. their sprinting and knife swing

CuddleCryptid posted:

Alternatively you could make it so that you can throw your knife for a one hit kill, but then to balance it out you have to go and get it back afterwards.

But that's silly, it would make riot shield users an outsized nightmare to fight.

if you carry a throwing knife you actually do get the one hit melee kill, though if they add wild stuff like the baseball bat or sledgehammer throwing those actually would be pretty great

Rockstar Massacre fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I'm playing mostly hardcore variations and have noticed over the last week or so that about every third match has someone with 130 kills, while the rest of the lobby is sitting at 30-40. I'm on an Xbox, cross-platform is on - is this an indicator that the 130-140 kills guy has some kind of cheat? They also usually have only 15-20 deaths.