Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Gonna be a more light-hearted one but it still annoys me...

Why is it that every year, every Christmas, people fawn over Die Hard but completely overlook Gremlins? I get that we have the old classics like It's a Wonderful Life or MIracle on 34th Street, but drat if I don't love a weird, twisted movie with a holiday theme mixed in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Gremlins rules and you're right.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Since I started eating more my fingernails grow so fast and I'm tired of clipping my nails

Cut of your fingertips at the joints like a disgraced Yakuza and never have this problem again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Why is it that every year, every Christmas, people fawn over Die Hard but completely overlook Gremlins? I get that we have the old classics like It's a Wonderful Life or MIracle on 34th Street, but drat if I don't love a weird, twisted movie with a holiday theme mixed in.

I always watch both. But I think die hard gets more because of how annoying people are because they can’t handle the notion that it is actually Christmas movie.

You got lights, you got music it’s a Christmas movie

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I watch every Christmas too

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

FreudianSlippers posted:

Cut of your fingertips at the joints like a disgraced Yakuza and never have this problem again.

This will cause perhaps other problems

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hate driving through someplace I hardly ever drive through and I hit a red light and after a really long time I'm like... does this light even turn green? Should I... should I just go? It's been a very long time for a red light. Is it broken? Maybe it's more like a stop sign, I should have just gone immediately when I saw the intersection was clear? Maybe I'll just go. But it's a left turn... I have no idea what cops are like around here. How is it still... oh it's green, okay.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Add 12 Monkeys to the playlist this year!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Brawnfire posted:

I hate driving through someplace I hardly ever drive through and I hit a red light and after a really long time I'm like... does this light even turn green? Should I... should I just go? It's been a very long time for a red light. Is it broken? Maybe it's more like a stop sign, I should have just gone immediately when I saw the intersection was clear? Maybe I'll just go. But it's a left turn... I have no idea what cops are like around here. How is it still... oh it's green, okay.

I hate this too, BUT... for the first time I think possibly ever in my life, I had this other day but the light was genuinely hosed, as in the whole junction definitely just looped around through all the other lights and skipped mine, to the extent that me and all other cars just started trying to sneak through when it felt safe.

What made it remarkable was that, actually, it was the first time ever that the light was GENUINELY not working. As opposed to the countless other times when you just get paranoid, then it goes green and you drive off.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

I used to ride a motorbike when I lived in Melbourne and there was a particular local intersection with a traffic light sensor that didn't register motorbikes. I quickly learnt to avoid it after having to put my bike on the stand, walk over and press the pedestrian crossing button and run back to my bike so I could get a green light.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I've heard good things about sticking a couple of neodymium magnets under your bike for those cases, but dunno how great an idea it is.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FFT posted:

I've heard good things about sticking a couple of neodymium magnets under your bike for those cases, but dunno how great an idea it is.

I choose to believe this transforms your regular bike into a HOVER-BIKE.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

The Perfect Element posted:

I hate this too, BUT... for the first time I think possibly ever in my life, I had this other day but the light was genuinely hosed, as in the whole junction definitely just looped around through all the other lights and skipped mine, to the extent that me and all other cars just started trying to sneak through when it felt safe.

Might not have been broken, stupidly. My aunt's real estate office was across an 8 lane surface highway from the bank and post office, and the access road for her plaza and the one across had a light. The light would cycle for the highway 4 times (meaning greens then lefts then back to greens) before allowing the access roads to go at all. It was, no exaggeration, about 10 minutes between greens. She contacted the city and confirmed that this was indeed intended and would not change.

The best part was that there were cops and no u turn signs at every left turn for several miles in each direction, so sitting at the light and reading several pages of a novel was legitimately the fastest way across.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Got a letter today from the insurance company saying the price of the 30 day anti-obesity medication is going from 65 to 525 dollars.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I also watch Kiss Kiss Bang Bang every Christmas season and also every other season

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
“I’m going to be an actress!”

God I love that movie, but after hiring A Predator for The Predator, and for that matter making The Predator, I doubt he’ll ever escape from Director Jail.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

CelticPredator posted:

I always watch both. But I think die hard gets more because of how annoying people are because they can’t handle the notion that it is actually Christmas movie.

Other way around, it's how annoying people are that keep saying it's a Christmas movie. They're not wrong or anything, it's just not nearly as funny or novel as anyone seems to think it is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

for me it’s always been a Christmas movie. I’m not being funny.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

oldpainless posted:

Got a letter today from the insurance company saying the price of the 30 day anti-obesity medication is going from 65 to 525 dollars.

The general health thread was just talking about the not hungry pills.

Did they at least try to justify the insane increase or was it just gently caress you give us money?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Why the gently caress can't appliance makers just put the model number somewhere extremely obvious and accessible right on the front? I'm pretty sure they're just hoping that if they make troubleshooting annoying enough people will say gently caress it and buy a new one.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm tired of old people just being down on EVERYTHING. Anything changing or developing at all means their neighborhood's going to poo poo. I'm like, I know local history, BRAD, and your street was along an open sewer adjacent a quarry full of old tires that kids kept dying in. Those were your loving salad days. Some teens in hoodies at a Starbucks on the corner is hardly an apocalyptic future for your neck of the woods. Have some chill, smoke a bowl.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Brawnfire posted:

I'm tired of old people just being down on EVERYTHING. Anything changing or developing at all means their neighborhood's going to poo poo. I'm like, I know local history, BRAD, and your street was along an open sewer adjacent a quarry full of old tires that kids kept dying in. Those were your loving salad days. Some teens in hoodies at a Starbucks on the corner is hardly an apocalyptic future for your neck of the woods. Have some chill, smoke a bowl.

I hope I'm not that stupid when I get old but I fear I will be.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Every Facebook group associated with the city in which I live is 99% filled with HOMELESS AND DRUGS AND DRAG QUEENS THIS DINT USTA BE THIS WAY!!!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

The hallway outside my apartment is not a playground. Please do not let your small children run up and down the hallway shrieking.

e: lmao we went to go see if there was even an adult around and mom had set up her kids with a giant pile of toys in the hallway. ma'am pls

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 22:30 on Nov 24, 2023

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Guyver posted:

The general health thread was just talking about the not hungry pills.

Did they at least try to justify the insane increase or was it just gently caress you give us money?

Something about obese people are disproportionately responsible for health care cost compared to non obese.

In total transparency i do not take the pills and the only fatties I care about are these blunts I’m rollin

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Batman Returns

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

BOOTY-ADE posted:

but drat if I don't love a weird, twisted movie with a holiday theme mixed in.

Reminds me of that time I watched Eyes Wide Shut on Christmas during the first or second year into the pandemic

Like it takes place around the season but I wouldn't exactly call it, uh, festive

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Reminds me of that time I watched Eyes Wide Shut on Christmas during the first or second year into the pandemic

Like it takes place around the season but I wouldn't exactly call it, uh, festive

But they have a party and everything!

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Word changing what shortcuts do without any kind of notification. Subscript, which has been ctrl + = for loving forever, now zooms in. The internet has articles up about this change from March, but I guess the update only filtered to me now. It was as normal last week.

Also lost the en dash. gently caress off MS.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Landlords are my peeve (and I think they have been in some of my previous posts, but this is a different landlord than those posts)
Two specific ones at the moment
1 - announcing a complex-wide cleanup with only 2 days notice
2 - sending us a notification that it's time to renew the lease... through a printout taped to our door. You specifically mention doing the lease renewal through y'all's website (and not being able to in person), why would you not also notify us through the website, which would then email us?!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Today a Certain Major Shipping Corporation (the non-union one unfortunately, I didn't choose them) is my peeve.

Look, I get that you didn't just want to leave a package with a signature requirement in the lobby of my building. That's fine. That's why I left you my phone number so you could contact me when you got here.

It's even fine (if not ideal) that the package was redirected for pickup somewhere. For various reasons that's not practical for me but fine, whatever.

It would have been nice to have (a) been contacted when you attempted to deliver the package, and it would have been EXTREMELY nice to have been told that the package was being held and would not be delivered today instead of what you did, which was tell me it would be delivered today on both your website and when I called in. The second time I called in I got the actual answer, which was that their internal system is very poor at communicating things like "this package is being held for delivery".

Since this package is a new laptop that I need for my job, it's, you know, a little frustrating to get the goddamn runaround like this. My job is being patient but they won't be patient forever, and I have looming deadlines on stuff I can't work on right now.

And yes I know delivering packages is a lovely job and working in a call center is a lovely job and my job is much nicer than either of those jobs but I also still need my package.

And in the time between starting this post and now, I was

(a) told yet again that the package simultaneously would and would not be delivered today

(b) had a friend go to pick it up where it was being held

(c) got a notification that it was out for delivery in the meantime

(d) got a text from my friend that it had been moved to a delivery truck from the holding location, but she'd intercepted it. So I (will soon) actually have it in spite of the delivery company's best efforts.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

docbeard posted:

Today a Certain Major Shipping Corporation (the non-union one unfortunately, I didn't choose them) is my peeve.

Look, I get that you didn't just want to leave a package with a signature requirement in the lobby of my building. That's fine. That's why I left you my phone number so you could contact me when you got here.

It's even fine (if not ideal) that the package was redirected for pickup somewhere. For various reasons that's not practical for me but fine, whatever.

It would have been nice to have (a) been contacted when you attempted to deliver the package, and it would have been EXTREMELY nice to have been told that the package was being held and would not be delivered today instead of what you did, which was tell me it would be delivered today on both your website and when I called in. The second time I called in I got the actual answer, which was that their internal system is very poor at communicating things like "this package is being held for delivery".

Since this package is a new laptop that I need for my job, it's, you know, a little frustrating to get the goddamn runaround like this. My job is being patient but they won't be patient forever, and I have looming deadlines on stuff I can't work on right now.

And yes I know delivering packages is a lovely job and working in a call center is a lovely job and my job is much nicer than either of those jobs but I also still need my package.

And in the time between starting this post and now, I was

(a) told yet again that the package simultaneously would and would not be delivered today

(b) had a friend go to pick it up where it was being held

(c) got a notification that it was out for delivery in the meantime

(d) got a text from my friend that it had been moved to a delivery truck from the holding location, but she'd intercepted it. So I (will soon) actually have it in spite of the delivery company's best efforts.

Well they weren't going to throw it on the ground. It's a part of their system!

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

theironjef posted:

Other way around, it's how annoying people are that keep saying it's a Christmas movie. They're not wrong or anything, it's just not nearly as funny or novel as anyone seems to think it is.

I feel like this trend has only popped up within the last ten years or so. For the first 20 odd years of that movie's life I don't recall a single person referring to it as a christmas movie.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
People who bring up the Die Hard Christmas movie thing don't even loving have an opinion, they just want to be part of the zeitgeist they think is happening. gently caress you if you ask me dumbass questions like that, we had this discussion ten years ago and you didn't have a loving opinion back then, you were just quoting dumb poo poo you saw on reddit.

AND ANOTHER THING

I don't spend all day in retail but I do occasionally go to the grocery store. I can't remember ever hearing that Mariah Carey song everyone hates. I know what it is, because I've gone out and listened to it, but where is everyone going where they are subjected to this all day long?

credburn has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Nov 28, 2023

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

AcidCat posted:

I feel like this trend has only popped up within the last ten years or so. For the first 20 odd years of that movie's life I don't recall a single person referring to it as a christmas movie.

It's part of the war on Christmas. Only Mariah Carey Christmas music the day after Thanksgiving can bring balance to the force.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

credburn posted:

People who bring up the Die Hard Christmas movie thing don't even loving have an opinion, they just want to be part of the zeitgeist they think is happening. gently caress you if you ask me dumbass questions like that, we had this discussion ten years ago and you didn't have a loving opinion back then, you were just quoting dumb poo poo you saw on reddit.

I’ve had this opinion my whole life.

Movies like Elf are horrific. I’d rather watch John McClane shoot some people

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Sorry but your opinion got jacked by a lame and long running trend. You may now either claim everyone else is a poser or pick a new movie that occurs around Christmas. Weirdly Lethal Weapon also does but you never see that one come up.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

credburn posted:

I don't spend all day in retail but I do occasionally go to the grocery store. I can't remember ever hearing that Mariah Carey song everyone hates. I know what it is, because I've gone out and listened to it, but where is everyone going where they are subjected to this all day long?

With that particular song I agree, but then there's utter trash like (Simply Having) A Wonderful Christmastime that's ubiquitous which I hate from my time in retail. I think Mariah Carey's marketing team just leveraged the general concept to kind of wedge her into the discussion, which they appear to have done extremely successfully.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Tangentally related to the Christmas movie chat, my pet peeve is Christmas music. Specifically, the selection of songs that you hear on Christmas radio stations, or at stores while you're shopping.

I was listening to a music podcast where the host and guest both pick music to play and talk about it (CBB FM) and they did a Christmas episode a couple years ago that I just got around to listening to. The episode was filled with great Christmas songs! There were so many songs that were fun and good and enjoyable to listen to. I had only heard ONE of the songs before. It just went to prove that there are a ton of really good Christmas songs out there.

So why the hell can't the businesses that play Christmas music include these songs? Why is it always just the same 30 songs over and over? (over half of which are just different covers of the same 10 songs) Give us some drat variety!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

All it takes to make a Christmas song is to shake a cluster of bells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Master Twig posted:

Tangentally related to the Christmas movie chat, my pet peeve is Christmas music. Specifically, the selection of songs that you hear on Christmas radio stations, or at stores while you're shopping.

I was listening to a music podcast where the host and guest both pick music to play and talk about it (CBB FM) and they did a Christmas episode a couple years ago that I just got around to listening to. The episode was filled with great Christmas songs! There were so many songs that were fun and good and enjoyable to listen to. I had only heard ONE of the songs before. It just went to prove that there are a ton of really good Christmas songs out there.

So why the hell can't the businesses that play Christmas music include these songs? Why is it always just the same 30 songs over and over? (over half of which are just different covers of the same 10 songs) Give us some drat variety!

Christmas Lounge on SomaFM is pretty good