Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Meanwhile Guild Wars 2 just works like the stock market, where you can place buy and sell orders for anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Tamba posted:

Meanwhile Guild Wars 2 just works like the stock market, where you can place buy and sell orders for anything

I haven't played GW2 in like ten years...maybe I'll revisit it while waiting for Dawntrail

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Vanadium posted:

Oh yeah no doubt. I'm just always kinda daydreaming about the alternate timeline where an Ultima Online derived MMO made it big instead of WoW.

I think the template a lot of those MMOs were angling for was what Everquest had: there was a big ol' tunnel that cut between two popular starting zones that had no NPCs or guards of any faction around ("evil" races like dark elves started out hostile to most of the "good" factions in the game), and it turned into the de facto trading hub with huge numbers of people selling various things lining the walls. It was a neat organic flourish that was part of what contributed to EQ's sense of being a real space, but it also came about due to a set of specific circumstances that got gradually chopped away as tastes changed.

Zokari posted:

not saying it's good, but it wasn't some insane unique idea 1.0 had

Yeah, it was clearly a KMMO inspired flourish. I wouldn't be surprised if the original design had the slightly more sensible idea of populating the cities with retainer vendors to contribute to the sense of a living, breathing space, but their failure to understand technical limitations meant they eventually had to shove them all into the Merchant Dimension. Browsing between shops, though tedious, would at least be more palatable if you were doing it on a long, colorfully decorated street and not inside a dark void with every shop standing shoulder-to-shoulder.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I haven't played GW2 in like ten years...maybe I'll revisit it while waiting for Dawntrail

i did this a couple years ago and my main complaint was how long it took to just kill regular mobs and how boring it was. you hit the 4 skills you have and they go on cooldown and you just have to auto attack while they refresh. and you have to kill SO MANY mobs just to try and get through the living story chapters (that i PAID for). i couldn't do it. it was too much of a slog.

makes me appreciate FF14's method of, if you have to kill mobs for a quest, you only have to kill like 5 max.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 25, 2023

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

And not one bear rear end (I think)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Kerrzhe posted:

. you hit the 4 skills you have and they go on cooldown and you just have to auto attack while they refresh.

Well, that's when you're supposed to swap weapons :v:

But yeah, after playing WoW for all these years, not needing to kill 10 mobs for a quest or the even worse collect x items which only like every third mob drops I definitely appreciated the way FF14 does it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Being asked to collect 3 bear asses is much less annoying when one bear rear end per bear is a guaranteed key item drop when you have that step of the quest active.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

WoW is better because sometimes a bear just doesn't have that much of an rear end and the game reflects that

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Feldegast42 posted:

WoW is better because sometimes a bear just doesn't have that much of an rear end and the game reflects that

i will never slaughter hank hill no matter how much the game demands it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

what if hank hill dropped his clothes as a glam set

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Need a Peggy glam asap

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

World War Mammories posted:

bwaaaah!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

i already have jeans and a tshirt so unless they make your rear end flat like an anti 2b leggings not interested

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Got the Raubahn card, only 1 million for Cloud and MGP is no longer an issue.

...also wish I could find a kill group for the latest EX that doesn't feature strats like "put forked lightning in the stack" and "put the black hole on the opposite side of the laser".

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

speaking of glam, recommendations requested

the general theme I try to do is more-or-less-plausible low fantasy armor but with a weapon that provides just a hint, the merest soupçon of anime bullshit, especially one that looks normal sheathed but bullshit when unsheathed. this stems from when I got minos lux for WAR at the end of heavensward and found it bursts into giant flames when wielded, so I have used it ever since and will be using for the foreseeable future. as for other jobs, for a long time on DRG I've used the alexandrian metal spear and it looks rad, and fits the bullshit theming by lighting up and having little metal drone things flying around it when unsheathed, plus it can be dyed

however, that is scifi anime bullshit and I am somewhat interested in unifying the weapon theming to magic anime bullshit, bursting into flame or other particle effects a plus. to this end I looked at a few lances and eventually found suzaku's lance

it's not bad. however, it's so dinky and anemic compared to the heft of the alexandrian metal spear. it's almost a head shorter and looks like it has minimal weight to it, at least to me. granted, the point of a spear is more to pierce and less to whack, but I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul. browsing models on wikis and so on gives me a poor sense of scale and is annoying. I could probably make this search easy by simply downloading anamnesis or whatever, but why would I do that when I could :justpost:

so: please suggest spears that look like something heavy you could really bash a guy with from afar, possibly with some kinda flame or particle effect fitting the magic anime bullshit theming, thank you

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Black Willow Spear may be a bit too bullshit when sheathed and a bit too subtle when unsheathed, but it goes well with the Eureka maiming armor (you can dye the glow) so that's what I use on my goon. The crafted Halberd of the Round sounds more like what you're shooting for though. Unfortunately that one can't be dyed if the colors don't match your armor well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Hellfire Spear (think I remember that name right, pvp weapon) is worth seeing for how ridiculous it is. First-tier Bozja (augmented dreizack) is my go to for cool glow, donno if the base form meets your standards.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I'm still rocking the HW DRG relic for my glamour whenever I whip DRG back out for leveling via tribe quests. It, at least, gives the neat particle effect but maybe doesn't have that much great heft to it.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Hellhound is the name of the PvP weapon set, and yeah, the spear for that folds out and glows red when drawn.

edit: Also here's the Snakeliege Spear (also a PvP weapon)

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 26, 2023

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If you're not adverse to grinding out relic weapons, this video showcases every Dragoon Relic Weapon from A Realm Reborn through Shadowbringers.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I really like the spear you buy with the current raid sword-tokens. It’s short, but I think its proportions still give it a good sense of weight, and appears slightly, but not too mystical with some subtle “void”-ey particle effects.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

so: please suggest spears that look like something heavy you could really bash a guy with from afar, possibly with some kinda flame or particle effect fitting the magic anime bullshit theming, thank you

it's time to become an ultimate raider so you can get the DSR spear

e: I'm not spending a token on it so here's the glow from the preview window

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you want a chunky spear, I got you covered:

(Cryptlurker/ShB Poetics)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That is totally a chunky spear. You could really mess a guy up with that.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The second thing I'd take from WoW's transmog system is weapon glowy enchantment effects so you could add some of the interesting stuff to the plain weapons like that mace spear. (The first is the unlock basis instead of storage basis of item availability. WoW's armor models largely suck, but they at least got that part right.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah but the glam system is clearly held up with spaghetti code considering the qol improvements we've gotten over the years and the state in which it originally was introduced, so it would take a massive effort to build an unlock database (and where would they put it in character data) and then implement it. I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm just saying it's probably not feasible with the game as it currently works.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I've been assuming for a while that they're putting some dev time aside for 7.0 to try and improve database functionality, and the trial balloon of a cloud server is a hopeful sign that they're hammering away on the underlying networking to make it more scaleable.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

all the suggestions appreciated! got some previewing to do. the depth of my alterac valley ptsd is such that I’m strongly considering dsr over any pvp

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
this morning I finally noticed the Dun Scaith has an attack called the Eikonizer.

after the late Eikon Simmons :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

all the suggestions appreciated! got some previewing to do. the depth of my alterac valley ptsd is such that I’m strongly considering dsr over any pvp
this is because you are sane. learn DSR once be good to clear forever, queue for pvp eternal misery

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah but the glam system is clearly held up with spaghetti code considering the qol improvements we've gotten over the years and the state in which it originally was introduced, so it would take a massive effort to build an unlock database (and where would they put it in character data) and then implement it. I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm just saying it's probably not feasible with the game as it currently works.

Oh, yeah, I know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-PpwdfTYV0

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Honest to Nophica if they could get the glam system fixed I wouldn't need Glamourer anymore. It's so much easier than loving with everything

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Got the Raubahn card, only 1 million for Cloud and MGP is no longer an issue.

...also wish I could find a kill group for the latest EX that doesn't feature strats like "put forked lightning in the stack" and "put the black hole on the opposite side of the laser".

...my complaint seems real petty after the cardinal sin I committed last night, and I apologize for that. I went into a EX party with the loving Zodiac relic equipped cause I foolishly tried to continue it (and gave up after the FATE didn't spawn) and kept dying to stacks cause I was missing like 10k HP.

Also, I realized I didn't finish my hunting logs despite having all jobs over 60 now, and when I finished them I remembered I've never switched GC in 10 years of playing wow. I'm guessing the fastest way to grind them up is greed dungeon drops and use poetics/nuts for old gear and trade them for seals, right? Cause I've read your squadron is kept between GCs and just need to unlock so doing the promotion quests should be easier.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Honest to Nophica if they could get the glam system fixed I wouldn't need Glamourer anymore. It's so much easier than loving with everything

Too late this caused a curse to be placed on FFXIV and no more future glamour plates to be added ever :v:

Mostly I wish we could unlock all glams except for AF sets one day.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They have to add glamour plates, by Dawntrail there won't even be at least one per job anymore.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

...my complaint seems real petty after the cardinal sin I committed last night, and I apologize for that. I went into a EX party with the loving Zodiac relic equipped cause I foolishly tried to continue it (and gave up after the FATE didn't spawn) and kept dying to stacks cause I was missing like 10k HP.

Also, I realized I didn't finish my hunting logs despite having all jobs over 60 now, and when I finished them I remembered I've never switched GC in 10 years of playing wow. I'm guessing the fastest way to grind them up is greed dungeon drops and use poetics/nuts for old gear and trade them for seals, right? Cause I've read your squadron is kept between GCs and just need to unlock so doing the promotion quests should be easier.

Yeah, but like it takes literally an evening to grind them up, it's real fast. I also use retainers for gears for seals which helps. BUT you can't do hand-ins until a certain rank, so you wanna do hunts for that I think.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

been goofing off on the cloud server this week in between raid group times. aside from a few other things I've posted, one thing I learned is the solo duty before the level 87 dungeon is rough on black mage. had to bank basically all of my instant casts to make sure they didn't get fully charged off of the orbs, but I feel like I didn't even kill a lot of them.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Vitamean posted:

been goofing off on the cloud server this week in between raid group times. aside from a few other things I've posted, one thing I learned is the solo duty before the level 87 dungeon is rough on black mage. had to bank basically all of my instant casts to make sure they didn't get fully charged off of the orbs, but I feel like I didn't even kill a lot of them.

BLM was what I went through the MSQ as and yes it sucked so bad. I ended up setting it to Very Easy to get through it and even then it was still obnoxious.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

lines posted:

Yeah, but like it takes literally an evening to grind them up, it's real fast. I also use retainers for gears for seals which helps. BUT you can't do hand-ins until a certain rank, so you wanna do hunts for that I think.
gc hunting logs, daily roulette bonuses (it's not much but it's like 200 seals and you really only need a little more than the gc log provides), and maybe a fate or two, then spam turn-ins

you do still have to run Dzemael Darkhold and uh, Stone Vigil or whatever, but can do both unsynced, and you do still have to redo the 18 hour squadron priority mission for the Captain promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Vitamean posted:

aw frig aw dang it posted:

BLM was what I went through the MSQ as and yes it sucked so bad. I ended up setting it to Very Easy to get through it and even then it was still obnoxious.

lmao my first try there was as MNK. "OK when they get close to the center my aoes can hit multiple orbs" :derp: