Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

indigi posted:

this fat magneto salamander is gettin on my nerves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

[Pop Culture] it's okay to be (part) white

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

josh04 posted:

[Pop Culture] it's okay to be (part) white

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lmao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

please don't doxx me.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Apex Redditor

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

plinkeh

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

Watched an episode of Blue Eye Samurai, it's p good and cool

But I've got some questions about its racial politics after one episode. Like, in fiction, Japan closing itself off to the world is more or less shown as a good thing, because foreigners are evil, and white people in particular are basically devils. Which, ok, yeah.

Where this gets weird to me is that the main character, Mizu, is mixed race, and is subject to intense racism over it, to the point where they (no idea which pronoun to use here) are explicitly considered deformed by every other character except one. And they seem to agree with the racism. Their overarching mission is to track down the four known white men in Japan and kill them, partially because they're all just bad people anyway, but mostly because one of them fathered Mizu (on a sex worker) and made them a monster, for which Mizu wants revenge. I find myself hoping that Mizu's arc involves growing to accept their own existence and finding some self-esteem, but, like, without the story becoming lib poo poo, and I'm not sure how that line can get drawn.

The creators are apparently themselves a mixed-race couple which makes sense for a story like this.

yeah as much as the algorithms been trying to push it im really eh about giving this show a chance a really common trope ive noticed a lot with mixed race or immigrant american writers is that they think they can go really whole hog on depicting non white cultures in very bigoted terms just so long as they also note that white people are also bad but the thing is the bigoted white people in these stories are always way more impersonal and cartoonishly evil they never feel like real bigots which is what makes these stories so palatable to white audiences theres never any chance of their seriously identifying with these other bad white people

"american" is a very important caveat in the paragraph above btw because ive found that mixed race and immigrant writers from other cultures almost never do this in comparison

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Except: Mizu is shown to be wrong and suffering because of it over and over. But also society is shown to be wrong too. Basically everyone who accepts an underlying premise about their station will end up suffering trying to fit themselves into their role. It's only when they accept that this doesn't define them can they thrive.

see the issue i have with this kind of thinking is that expressing defiance about underlying social expectations regarding identity is still choosing to fit into that role and if you make that a core part of your belief system youre going to naturally assume that everyone is judging you by that standard when in reality most people dont even think about it not because theyre not racist but because people dont generally give a poo poo about stuff that doesnt directly involve them somehow

its also an extremely american individualist capitalist friendly idea because it posits white supremacy as a personal psychological limitation that can be overcome by force of will and not a systemic construction of the social order and these are just the problems with the idea in a contemporary context i can only imagine the aneurysm id get trying to make sense of them in tokugawa era japan where most of the foundational aspects of white supremacy or for that matter social identity straight up dont exist as applied to the dominant japanese cultures forms of racisms in that era

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
is ATLA actually good bc I never watched it and I'm planning on watching with my kid

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

is ATLA actually good bc I never watched it and I'm planning on watching with my kid

Yes, it's great. I like Korra a lot too but it definitely has some lower and lows than ATLA, as well as occasional higher highs. The two are better constructed than equivalent "adult" shows like Game of Thrones or Lost in that they actually tell completed and logical stories.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

My understanding is that it thinks the left is just people who want anarchy (pejorative) while fascists can be cool girlbosses who we have to sympathize with and admire to some degree.

Or is that the other avatar show?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

its a cute show and i think your kid will enjoy it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My understanding is that it thinks the left is just people who want anarchy (pejorative) while fascists can be cool girlbosses who we have to sympathize with and admire to some degree.

:dafuq:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its a good show to watch with your kid although i wouldnt recommend it in other circumstances its reputation is way overhyped except for the relationship between zuko and iroh that part unironically owns but is also a relatively small part of the overall story

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Korra has some shitlib politics at times, but nearly every TV show or movie does outside of occasional exceptions like I'm a Virgo. If I get hung up on that, I'd end up watching nothing, and I'd rather watch my stupid cartoons than not watch them.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

also for what it's worth in korra the anarchy "bad guys" in season 3 of korra are the most fleshed out and sympathetic bad guys of that show, while the fascist bad guy is much more reviled

that doesn't make up for some of its other stupid takes, but few tv shows actually handle these issues well

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Korra had a lot of potential that got wasted because the creators weren't willing to commit to what they had written.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

also for what it's worth in korra the anarchy "bad guys" in season 3 of korra are the most fleshed out and sympathetic bad guys of that show, while the fascist bad guy is much more reviled

in the actual context of the story or in how the fandoms reacted to them

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Some Guy TT posted:

in the actual context of the story or in how the fandoms reacted to them

context of the story. I don't know how its "fandom" reacted because that poo poo is insane.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
thanks friends

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

i hope the scavengers reign fandom wants to hug and kiss that loving salamander

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

anyway op please ignore all this chat about the politics in korra which you might or might not even watch the only politics in atla that matter in regard to your question is that warmongering empires are bad

i could maybe nitpick some of the mixed messages the story has about romance or sexism but im gonna take a wild guess and say your kid isnt going to remember any of that theyre just going to laugh because the cabbage man keeps getting his cabbages destroyed

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

tragic news folks. momo has been euthanized after publishing an op-ed criticizing israel.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

atla is kinda a kids show but it's good within that remit. korra is simultaneously more and less.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

ATLA does what it does extremely well, and is well worth a watch at any age imo.

Korra frequently drops the ball and trying to map the four elements and the core cultural attitudes assigned to them to political extremists movements was dumb as hell though, as was changing the asian cultural setting to "New York ca 1920's".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Atla is a lot better than the samurai show imo, it's just a good kids show.

Blue eyes has a vibe that's common nowadays but I dislike where it's gory and dark enough to be for adults but seems like it's written and performed for young kids or maybe disney adults.
Plus the animation is a lot worse

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The only bad-enough-to-comment-on part of ATLA is the extremely literal moral deus ex machina at the very end.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Kinda nice seeing Tennant back as The Doctor, even if only for specials. Still looks fine in a suit.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm listening to the book of the first Dune. A lot of descriptions of Baron Harkonnen are basically "lmao he is fat. also he'sgay"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

Kinda nice seeing Tennant back as The Doctor, even if only for specials. Still looks fine in a suit.

did the previous season bomb or something so bad they were like "ok fine lets bring back that one guy everyone wanted to bone for $5 million" for a single episode to start a new season?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

finally got around to watching the venture bros movie, thought it was a solid ending to the whole series

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

finally got around to watching the venture bros movie, thought it was a solid ending to the whole series

the bumper on the whole thing where HELPeR is singing the lullaby and Doc is incubating the babies in his artificial womb was a really nice image to end the series on.

e: also Rusty and The Monarch being clones of each other and their respective reactions to it was really good

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Xaris posted:

did the previous season bomb or something so bad they were like "ok fine lets bring back that one guy everyone wanted to bone for $5 million" for a single episode to start a new season?

pretty much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yup. Definitely stuff I would have liked to see more of but I'm totally good with it ending like that

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1728462608615842157

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Problem with Korra is that for at least half the show she's written as an incredibly gullible dumb yokel on purpose.

Politics is just kinda bad, but I do like how the actions and political consequences of each season's conflict snowball into creating the next conflict. Like Henry Rollins only exists as a villain because of the actions of the season 2 villain and Earth fascists only come to power because of Henry Rollins.

You really don't see the continuity in kids shows

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that headline confused me a bit since after napoleon chat my first thought was awesome another movie about the roman emperor and then wait a minute i dont remember there being a first movie about the roman emperor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Kora needed a fire villain so she could do the whole cycle