Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
i saw nathan at a screening for Dream Scenario and said "I love the show" and he said "Thanks" kind of incredulously and kept walking. (this would have been before DS released officially)

that's my story I hope you enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Alan Smithee posted:

i saw nathan at a screening for Dream Scenario and said "I love the show" and he said "Thanks" kind of incredulously and kept walking. (this would have been before DS released officially)

that's my story I hope you enjoyed it

Oh. Ok.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

So this series is at least partly some sort of commentary on Nathan as a real person, right? I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but it feels pretty obvious? The reality show they are doing, how they mislead and exploit people, how the people in the focus group and otherwise perceive him etc. I certainly feel like there are a lot of parallels there with his other shows. I don't know. Either way it's strange and cool, I'm into it.

Also a recurring thing I've noticed are the warped reflections of people. Pretty sure we've seen both Nathan and Emma all warped and distorted in previous episodes, as well as some random lady in this episode. What's that about?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yah i put a curse on him for not hanging out with me after the screening

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A distorted reflection, you say?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This one felt easier to watch at first and then I realized they were saving all the pain for the second half, lmao

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kevin Bacon posted:

So this series is at least partly some sort of commentary on Nathan as a real person, right? I haven't seen anyone talk about it, but it feels pretty obvious? The reality show they are doing, how they mislead and exploit people, how the people in the focus group and otherwise perceive him etc. I certainly feel like there are a lot of parallels there with his other shows. I don't know. Either way it's strange and cool, I'm into it.

Also a recurring thing I've noticed are the warped reflections of people. Pretty sure we've seen both Nathan and Emma all warped and distorted in previous episodes, as well as some random lady in this episode. What's that about?

I don't think I noticed the random lady one but Whitney and Abshir I take it as their perception of themselves is as warped as the one they are projecting in the world. Like when she's staring at her warbly reflection in the stupid houses they build, she's almost having a moment of self reflection before the bird is killed by her hacky design and she snaps immediately to glibly ordering someone to clean up the windows from bird gore as it's a routine occurrence to her. Also another way the houses are never gonna be helping the community, or the gentrifiers moving in for that matter -- wonder if that'll be a point that comes up.

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
holy smokes emma stone is insanely good

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Art Core...velay posted:

Her delivery on "I was speaking karmically" killed me. What a great show

Must be something wrong with me though cause I think the show is funny as heck and it doesn't make me cringe or whatever. Not a brag, just surprised to see so many comments along that line

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol my roommate asked me when I was stepping out the door if I had seen any good shows lately. I said I had, but caught off guard and put the door the only one I could think of was The Curse. Didn't have time to give any more context besides I think it's on showtime. Kind of excited to see if she watched it and if I'm banned from recommendations from now on lol

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Art Core...velay posted:

Go watch Maniac on Netflix if you haven't yet.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Benny Safdie is insanely good too. Comparing his performance in this to Oppenheimer is kind of startling.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really like the contrast of emma stone and fielder's acting compare to the much more naturalistic acting you get from the kids and Abshir. the roblox convo lol.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Whitney asking if they eat hot dogs with rice was loving incredible cringe lmao

Funniest moment on the show so far.

I could not deal with restaging the sweater pull for Instagram. Like that’s so repulsive to me I couldn’t watch.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Escobarbarian posted:

Whitney asking if they eat hot dogs with rice was loving incredible cringe lmao

Yeah, where do they even come up with a question like that? Are you going to eat them with rice? What??

I dunno if I'm actually enjoying this one as much as Nathan's other stuff, though. I was hoping it'd be more comedic, like, yknow, he's cursed and bad stuff keeps happening, but the bad stuff we get to see is mostly about how empty and weird Asher and Whitney's lives are and how they're just naturally loving things up on their own.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, where do they even come up with a question like that? Are you going to eat them with rice? What??

She was assuming/hoping he was making some Somali dish that would make her come across as worldly for appreciating.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

And then went immediately to "oh, cookout style" after she found oout they were eating them in buns, jesus lmao.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

Funniest moment on the show so far.

I could not deal with restaging the sweater pull for Instagram. Like that’s so repulsive to me I couldn’t watch.

I felt the same way. Then you have to realize that there are wannabe influencer couples who absolutely do that poo poo all the time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I really thought Ashur was gonna start putting hidden cameras around to try and capture their moments and have that blow up into something

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
i appreciated the last frame. made the guy look like a western hero

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

I really thought Ashur was gonna start putting hidden cameras around to try and capture their moments and have that blow up into something

I’d vote Whitney to do this over him at this point

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

veni veni veni posted:

I’d vote Whitney to do this over him at this point

Yeah same. I feel this is mostly her and he is just doing it for her. That's why she was initially surprised about the $100. He's generally not the giving kind, and it shocked her, until she saw him try and take it back (his true self)

She's doing all this to separate herself from her parents. He's just trying to be supportive and go along with it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

https://www.zillow.com/house/the-curse/

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol the zestimate at 1/3rd the listing cost.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Clicking the "learn more" button goes to Paramount Plus

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wonder if they've done this kind of ad on zillow before with other shows.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
yeah, looks like it’s something Zillow offers generally

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

At about 1 hour 17 mins there's an interview with Nathan and Benny and they say that they would feel comfortable offering a million dollars to someone who could guess the ending to the show.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4zajVCjukUcfyaUuOK7wyO?si=M1oq-GtMTsOIE1nvY2tQ5g

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

At about 1 hour 17 mins there's an interview with Nathan and Benny and they say that they would feel comfortable offering a million dollars to someone who could guess the ending to the show.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4zajVCjukUcfyaUuOK7wyO?si=M1oq-GtMTsOIE1nvY2tQ5g

Is this only a miniseries then?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Its 10 episodes, yeah.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s definitely going to go completely off the rails

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope we explore some new uncomfortable moments when Asher is in hell, making everyone uneasy as he blows past social cues we won't even understand until we die.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
ep4 has a bit too much affectation for my tastes. couldnt keep from thinking how much better lynch could have done the pre titles sequence

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Still enjoying this show but it kinda feels like it’s stuck in one gear atm, hoping things pick up a little and it isn’t entirely vibes. The final scene was loving brutal lmao. And holy poo poo Safdie’s character is such a piece of garbage

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

"I wanna apologize for all the times I bullied you when we were kids."

"What do you mean? We were just having fun."

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
That Asher guy sure seems a bit stiff. Must be the actor's fault.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The doorbell bit was perfect

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's great. Next.
[gibberish]

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ahaaa they sent out promotional meal kits with missing chicken to press/reviewers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Still enjoying this show but it kinda feels like it’s stuck in one gear atm, hoping things pick up a little and it isn’t entirely vibes. The final scene was loving brutal lmao. And holy poo poo Safdie’s character is such a piece of garbage

I'm feeling the same way. It will probably end up working best as the kind of show that you binge watch. They've spent plenty of time setting up the major themes of fake "well meaning" gentrification and peoples' bad behavior leading to escalating problems. I'm ready for the first big plot twist to happen.