Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Keetron posted:

They got what?

Neil Gaiman uses fountain pens, I assume it's his brand of choice and at some point that caused a run on their pens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
The New York Times ran a story on them which caused a run: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/fashion/fountain-pens-birmingham-pen-company-pittsburgh.html

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

LionArcher posted:

https://imgur.com/a/xX172oZ

Saw this on instagram, but what pen is this? Anybody know? I love the body/colors.

Looks like maybe an Edison? Or some similar boutique pen maker

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

LionArcher posted:

https://imgur.com/a/xX172oZ

Saw this on instagram, but what pen is this? Anybody know? I love the body/colors.

It's an Esterbrook Camden from their premium Northern Lights collection. I think the acrylic is called Purple Alaska. What's cool about these pens is they have a matching colored nib.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Keetron posted:

They got what?

DurianGray posted:

Neil Gaiman uses fountain pens, I assume it's his brand of choice and at some point that caused a run on their pens?

Close - it isn't his brand of choice, but he tweeted that he was ordering some inks from them a few months ago and I think that brought them some more attention than they had had.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Chip McFuck posted:

It's an Esterbrook Camden from their premium Northern Lights collection. I think the acrylic is called Purple Alaska. What's cool about these pens is they have a matching colored nib.

those look great! thanks for the heads up. Ugh. Now I want a pilot 823, several Sailor's, and one of those... sigh.

darthzoidberg
Sep 4, 2023

Rand Brittain posted:

Huh, neither Jetpens nor Goulet carries that one. I wonder what determines which inks they have in their store?

I don't know anything about how each dealer determines what to carry, but I suspect that because Tokyo Blue Denim was a limited edition, Goulet and JetPens may have just sold out their stock, especially since they both have plenty of other Robert Oster inks.

But there are a lot of great online shopping options besides JetPens and Goulet: VanNess is one of the best, especially for ink. Pen Boutique, Pen Chalet, Anderson Pens, Dromgoole's, and Goldspot all have their charms as well. And for European pens and ink, Cult Pens in the UK rocks, along with Appelboom et al.

A quick google shows that both Pen Boutique and Goldspot have Tokyo Blue Denim in stock. (Disclaimer: I have no monetary affliation with any of these merchants.)

Hello Fountain Pen Goons! I've spent all too much money with every one of these dealers *taps thread title*, so let me introduce myself and my personal pen and ink obsessions:

My personal favorite fountain pens are Pelikans with wide BB, IB, or OB nibs; I love their M400s (got my first one in 1992 or so) and their vintage torpedos. I also love almost any soft music / stub / italic nibs, especially 1.1 to 1.5 mm. Besides my Pelikans, I have Sailors, Pilots, Franklin-Christophs, Esterbrooks, Lamys, TWSBIs, one Nakaya (desk pen in kuro-tamenuri), and a few random others. I've had a couple of Platinum pens, but I don't like their nibs, so I've sold them.

I also have some very cheap pens, mostly jinhao sharks and 992s; they are fun and really inexpensive (especially via aliexpress or even ebay) with surprisingly smooth nibs, especially for such fine nibs. You do get a bad nib now and then, but I buy extras. I also buy extra "calligraphy" nibs (1.1 to 2.5 mm), which are really sweet and soft, especially for steel nibs.

I'm a college professor and love to give away these fountain pens to my students (and because they are cheap, I can afford to do so).

As for ink, well, let's just say I have nearly 300 bottles (different colors, of course), plus hundreds of samples and some cartridges. (I've given plenty of ink away to my students as well.)

I also have "some" good-for-fountain-pens paper: Tomoe River, Clairfontaine, Maruman are among my favorites.

Hope that was not too long: I've been lurking at SA for many many years, but this is my first post. I've posted on Fountain Pen Network (as mamajones, Jones being my late cat), which I highly recommend as a resource.

I'm happy to answer any questions that I can, share some ink (if that is allowed), and/or show off some of my beauties.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

darthzoidberg posted:

Hello Fountain Pen Goons!

:wave:

Arc Rectifier
Mar 25, 2007

Because AC won't rectify itself.

CK07 posted:

Birmingham has absolutely killer sales (which is how I wound up with 4 100ml bottles and 2 50ml bottles that I will never in my life get through) and their ink has been well-behaved for me thus far. I haven't tinkered around with their ink-mixing scheme, though I really love the idea of it. Seems like an...honest thing to offer, if that makes sense. As a Pennsylvanian I love their naming trend. And they seemed like genuinely nice guys when I had a shipping question around the time they got Gaiman'd. I don't know if they have any secret Nathan-Tardif-style QAnon views or anything, but so far I'm very happy with my purchases from them.

While we're talking about small inkmakers, I bought a few (OK, ten) samples from an Etsy shop called Vintergron and I like them. The Buttercup is the yellowest yellow I own by a head, and April Showers is a really springy grass-green, like a slightly less dusty Chiku-Rin. They are on the wetter side, and also there is a little bit of wintergreen scent to each, which I am enjoying.

Ha, I totally forgot about the Gaiman connection. I think that might have been where I first heard of them, come to think about it. And I love their naming, too, and their colors -- that Pressed Glass ink looks almost exactly like the color of a Hemingray glass insulator in Aqua. Probably going to drop some cash their way and find out if I like it as much as I think I would. Also, I hadn't heard of Vintergron before and they look pretty interesting. That Pripyat looks a lot like a green-grey Korean ink I found somewhere that has a kind of faint blush to it when it sheens high enough.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

All the Pilot talk over the past week made me buy a Custom 743 and a Heritage 912, both in black with soft Medium nibs. Takes only a month from japan to get here.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

darthzoidberg posted:

I'm happy to answer any questions that I can, share some ink (if that is allowed), and/or show off some of my beauties.

I'd be happy to look at inks! I haven't bought any in ages, been thinking about whether I should get this years inkvent calendar :hmmyes:

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Xun posted:

I'd be happy to look at inks! I haven't bought any in ages, been thinking about whether I should get this years inkvent calendar :hmmyes:

I bought the calendar and am halfway through it - I don't celebrate Christmas but my birthday is mid-Nov so I'm just counting down to that instead. If you have questions I'm happy to answer! It's my first one so I can't strictly compare it to previous years, but I am hoping to get something that wows me as much as the Polar Glow sample I got in a random pack earlier this year.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Keetron posted:

Wanted to chime in on the Pilot conversation: I can see the Custom 823 being a "last pen" and that is why I was considering getting another one with an SM nib, the S being an indicator for more of a brush feel and that sounds amazing and I am not sure why I didnt order the custom heritage I got last month with that already.

About the Sailor having a "pencil" feel... for someone who adores a pilot with iroshizuku ink... I really disliked it and even the pelikan is a tad too coarse for me, I will not fill it again once it is empty.

There is the Pilot Namiki Custom 74 that looks to have the same nib as the 823 but you'll have to mess with a converter, it is half the price tho...

I have a SM from a 743 in my 823, probably my favorite of their #15 nibs. I support this endeavor.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

CK07 posted:

I bought the calendar and am halfway through it - I don't celebrate Christmas but my birthday is mid-Nov so I'm just counting down to that instead. If you have questions I'm happy to answer! It's my first one so I can't strictly compare it to previous years, but I am hoping to get something that wows me as much as the Polar Glow sample I got in a random pack earlier this year.

Have you figured out what the star bright inks actually are? I am pretty curious about what it refers to but I also don't want direct spoilers in case I do end up getting that box. How do you feel about it so far?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

The Electronaut posted:

I have a SM from a 743 in my 823, probably my favorite of their #15 nibs. I support this endeavor.

Ah, the 823 does not have all the nib options! that explained why I could not find one with an SM nib.
Good thing my impulse purchase of the month was a 743 and a 912 both with SM nib, good to know I can swap it into my 823 if I get sick of the CON-70.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Keetron posted:

Ah, the 823 does not have all the nib options! that explained why I could not find one with an SM nib.
Good thing my impulse purchase of the month was a 743 and a 912 both with SM nib, good to know I can swap it into my 823 if I get sick of the CON-70.

Pen Sachi does sell pre-swapped 823s as a FYI. If they get them from Pilot with non-standard 823 option nibs already done or if they swap them themselves, I don’t know.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Xun posted:

Have you figured out what the star bright inks actually are? I am pretty curious about what it refers to but I also don't want direct spoilers in case I do end up getting that box. How do you feel about it so far?

I'm not entirely sure what the "star bright" designation means, though I actually just thought of a test to try out tomorrow and I'll let you know what I learn.

So far I'm really enjoying it, tons of fun to sit down and swatch a new ink every day. There are some really nice colors, including two shimmery blues that I really like. If that sounds tedious rather than fun to you, if getting a new teeny bottle of ink every day doesn't sound like it would give you a little boost of joy, then it's probably not for you.

Related question - how the gently caress are you supposed to use shimmer inks such that the glitter bits stay distributed? Loaded into a pen via cart or converter, they'll all sink towards the nib during use, which means by the time you're a third through the charge you'll be out of glitter. I didn't think that it was a good idea to constantly be shaking my pen vertically to keep the ink all mixed up. Using a dip pen you have to re-close the bottle, shake it, and re-open it every time you want to dip. So...thoughts? I now have some really great shimmer inks I want to show off.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

CK07 posted:

Related question - how the gently caress are you supposed to use shimmer inks such that the glitter bits stay distributed? Loaded into a pen via cart or converter, they'll all sink towards the nib during use, which means by the time you're a third through the charge you'll be out of glitter. I didn't think that it was a good idea to constantly be shaking my pen vertically to keep the ink all mixed up. Using a dip pen you have to re-close the bottle, shake it, and re-open it every time you want to dip. So...thoughts? I now have some really great shimmer inks I want to show off.
This really sums up why I have only one shimmer ink and I only use it in a very wet B Opus 88 and flush it when the writing is done.
Sometimes it feels like shimmer inks are really for dip and calligraphy pens.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

CK07 posted:

Related question - how the gently caress are you supposed to use shimmer inks such that the glitter bits stay distributed?
I'll either roll the pen between my fingers, rock it back and forth a few times, or more commonly just give a quick twirl.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

I've got a vision of you doing sick baton tricks with your pen mid sentence.

Just sending that thing into the sky seeing how close you can get to the drop ceiling while light sparkles across the demonstrator barrel. Then catching it and writing as if you didn't get straight 10s from the judges.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Keetron posted:

This really sums up why I have only one shimmer ink and I only use it in a very wet B Opus 88 and flush it when the writing is done.
Sometimes it feels like shimmer inks are really for dip and calligraphy pens.

I have a TWSBI Diamond that I keep shimmer ink in. It's been surprisingly fine. I ignored it for a year when I moved; it started right up and the lines it made were shimmery.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Okay, my blacklight test with the Star Bright ink did not pan out. But as a result, I realized that I've opened 18 days of this calendar as of this morning, and there has only been one Star Bright ink revealed so far. That said: it's easily my favorite of the bunch I've seen, assessed after completely forgetting Star Bright was a thing.

It's hard to describe what's different about it but I'll try, with spoiler bars for the pure. It's a shimmer situation, but the metallic aspect seems to have distributed more like a thin paste throughout the ink, rather than individual specks. I haven't actually, like, pipetted some ink out to inspect the liquid closely or anything. It just has a denser, more fluid-feeling glimmer on the page when it's dry.
It's a subtle effect to compare with regular shimmer - I'm not bothering with a picture because I don't think it would be meamingfully illustrative of the difference.

For my fellow compulsive counters, organizers, and categorizers, here is the count of inks by category as of day 18:

6 standard
4 Shimmer
2 Scented
6 Chameleon
1 Star Bright

I'm not unhappy with this purchase at all, even if it isn't necessarily the most cost-efficient means of acquiring a bunch of Diamine inks. It takes out the overwhelm and decision-making, but I still trust that someone put more thought into it than grabbing a random handful of vials from the sample bins.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

gently caress this is dangerous knowledge for me right now. I need to ignore my open ebay browser tabs.

Oops uh oh I clicked some buttons and a package from Japan arrived today

It's a Fermo, not a Vanishing Point. Still retractable, but a twist mechanism instead of a click. The body is supposed to be dark green, but it's a very dark green.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

That's interesting - what's the difference to the Vanishing Point LS?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

gschmidl posted:

From what I've read, the Fermo is only available in Japan. I think it's also a bit cheaper than the LS, I think

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

My 823 came in today!

Now to fill it up with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai and do some writing.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

gschmidl posted:

The Fermo is a slim version of the Vanishing Point with a twist mechanism instead of using a nock (the clicking mechanism) like on a regular VP.

The LS is the same as a regular full-size VP that extends the nib with a nock, but it has a clutch near the nock that you release and rotates itself to retract the nib. The selling point (at least according to Pilot) is that you can retract the nib in a meeting silently without clicking the pen a second time.

So they're really two very different mechanisms.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Safety Dance posted:

From what I've read, the Fermo is only available in Japan. I think it's also a bit cheaper than the LS, I think

Chip McFuck posted:

The Fermo is a slim version of the Vanishing Point with a twist mechanism instead of using a nock (the clicking mechanism) like on a regular VP.

The LS is the same as a regular full-size VP that extends the nib with a nock, but it has a clutch near the nock that you release and rotates itself to retract the nib. The selling point (at least according to Pilot) is that you can retract the nib in a meeting silently without clicking the pen a second time.

So they're really two very different mechanisms.

Oh, that's right, you do press the LS to extend, it's just so silent it's barely audible (but you can also rotate it open).

It's not like I don't have one. :negative:

Thanks!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doctor Hospital posted:

My 823 came in today!

Now to fill it up with Iroshizuku Shin-Kai and do some writing.

I love everything in this post, it is a very good post.

Came to tell the world that I changed my mind on the Pelikan M200 Classic, while I first thought it was too course to my taste, after using it a bit and moving to different paper (from Tomoe river 54gsm to Cosmo Air Light 75gsm), it is actually really nice to use.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New pen day, I got a Majohn C4 in fine and the Wancher PuChiCo in extra fine, enjoying the hell out of both.

Megabound fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 22, 2023

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Goddamnit I'm never working on a loving Carene again. What a pain in the rear end of a nib to try and fix.

Also I bought another Delta.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

grack posted:

Goddamnit I'm never working on a loving Carene again. What a pain in the rear end of a nib to try and fix.

:ohdearsass:

quote:

Also I bought another Delta.

:toot:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

New pen day, but we're taking a step back.

Lamy Vista Black in Broad and the motherfucking Jinhao Shark Pen. I was pretty surprised at how smooth the shark pen feels considering it's an Extra Fine.

Also, I put Emeraude de Chivor in the Vista. :unsmigghh:

e: I don't know how this is possible considering they are functionally the same pen but the Vista writes so much nicer than the Safari it is unreal.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 26, 2023

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I thought the Vista was a Safari, just a clear one?

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

That's the thing, it is. Yet somehow it just feels better to write with.

Probably just in my head.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doctor Hospital posted:

That's the thing, it is. Yet somehow it just feels better to write with.

Probably just in my head.

your head is not a good place to put a pen...
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balpenaffaire
sorry, only Dutch...

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Might just be bad quality control on the nib of your safari?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

KingColliwog posted:

Might just be bad quality control on the nib of your safari?

This would track with my general experience with Lamy, their nibs are pretty hit or miss, especially on the Safaris, it seems

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Love the form factor of the Traveler Company's brass fountain pen, but ink dries up too fast. Use it or lose it I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Any recs for restored Vacumatics other than Ebay and Etsy? The FPN "mall" seems to be just a retail storefront, not sure if there are other decent pen buy/sell/trade communities, groups, sites, etc.

Or alternatively if there's normal cartridge/converter stacked tube celluloid pens that look like the Vacs and aren't $800+ Viscontis, I'd love to get some recs.