Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Z the IVth posted:

Just finished TEATD2 and hoo boy that was a trip.

I wonder if you can input a phrase into ChatGPT and ask it to "TEATD it please".

the only good AI thing is make Robot version of Jonathan Keeble read SQUAD BROKEN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Finally got around to Genefather and I really liked it, I assume Reynolds bile books are super good, are they?

For necrons I know infinite and the divine, but how's the twice dead king series?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Abominable Intelligences are diabolus extremis and may the Omnissiah have mercy on your souls if you bring such horrors into the world

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Sharkopath posted:

Finally got around to Genefather and I really liked it, I assume Reynolds bile books are super good, are they?

For necrons I know infinite and the divine, but how's the twice dead king series?

Heck, same. Started Genefather at work today and enjoyed it. It feels like very light reading compared to TEATD.

Also, twice dead king is really good!

Infinite+divine works because the characters are just so much fun, but twice dead made me care about necrons as a faction for the first time

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Luckily we have access only to pattern matching machine spirits, omnissiah be praised.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Warden posted:

Why on Earth would anyone ever wonder that?

Because it would be hilarious to transmute "I'll have fries with my burger" into some insanely baroque word salad.

I'm not hating on Abnett BTW. He chooses his words with extreme care to make the imagery work. But I can also see it as the sort of thing an AI could easily make a superficial facsimile of. Much like how an AI is but a pale imitation of a human mind without any real intelligence.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Genefather cements what I've often thought about Haley, that his strength is less the big picture of 40k and more the small, out of all the black library I've read he's the writer most focused on the affections and relationships of the people in this big cartoony space war, as a constant theme and aspect of his work. Good book.

The imperium is really lucky that the stuff that happens in the books hardly intersects with the slow pace of the main timeline though. Bile has absolutely won his ambition and he has already won before any of the events of the book take place. Abbadon might be happy about super chaos space marines and Bile now has a lot to dig through to advance his knowledge of flesh crafting, but the New Men are already at the cusp of being stronger than primaris space marines, without any armor, weapons, or technology to augment them, and they can reproduce in the normal way and their turbo changed genes mean they are getting stronger all the time. Mankind seems bound to be replaced by a superior evolution that are immune to the corruption of chaos and Bile's doesn't seem to need to be around to ensure their continued existence.

I'm imagining the tyranids trying to invade a planet where your average teenager can rip a carnifexes head off of its body before it even notices they are there and that makes me smile. Maybe Porter is just a special abberation though, but Bile seems to imply that he didnt augment her himself and theres multiple societies of new men operating on their own.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 25, 2023

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Sharkopath posted:

Twice dead king: Extremely good. Reynolds Bile trilogy: EXTREMELY good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
After a brief trip out of Ham Land into "real books" I'm back at the HH, and Saturnine is pretty rad so far. I'm really amped to do my abridged run up to TEATD.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Finally got around to finishing End and the Death 2, nice to see that Abnett is back in fine form. Looking forward to part 3.

My main man Keeble does a great job on the audiobook narration as usual. I especially enjoyed his death metal rendition of Samus.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I finished EatD2 as well.

Some goofy fanboy thoughts:
When Emp gave up his power, it was worded that he returned to his perpetual self. It also went into detail how Actae died, then immediately came back to life, and explained how she could get back to full power in the matter of days, weeks, maybe months. I believe Abnett explained maybe a year or so back in an interview that it was possible the Emperor was dying over and over on the throne with no time to heal.

Things that popped into my head:

Someone else could have been on the throne instead of the Emperor this entire time. Actae? Vulkan?

Possibly an opening for a powerful psyker who can seat themselves on the throne long enough for the Emperor to regenerate, or do the life/death/life perpetual dance the Emperor may be doing currently. Actae, and Vulkan again? It also went into detail how the Thousand Suns wanted the Emperor to support them, but they were forced to the side of Chaos. Ahriman seemed pretty peeved that his legion sided with Chaos, and was hell bent on finding a way to destroy Chaos because they knew how poo poo the whole situation was. Magnus could return and seat himself. Doesn't seem likely, but the entire side of Ahriman explaining this seemed purposeful to me, it didn't fit really.

I also just started book 3 Godblight of the Dark Imperium series and it has a Grey Knight named Ionan Grud who is so powerful that he defeated Typhus and puts out a psyker aura that even one of Guilliman's champions was surprised at. He mentions he knows he wouldn't last a second fighting Grud if he had to, and that Grud's aura was so great that it must have been what it was like to stand in the Emperor's presence. Not even the Sigilitte was mentioned having an aura that strong. Take a seat on the throne for a few days, goddamn.

Just makes me wonder if they'll ever have the Emperor come back setting a stage for Abbadon to finally let Chaos empower him as a budget Horus 2.0.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Emperor is constantly dying on the Throne: always dying, never truly dead. A thousand times every day. He can't spare the time and energy to heal himself fully, Chaos would invade through the webway. He can't be allowed to die, the same thing would happen without him there to keep reality stable. They just keep shoveling psykers into the furnace.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Z the IVth posted:

I'm not hating on Abnett BTW. He chooses his words with extreme care to make the imagery work. But I can also see it as the sort of thing an AI could easily make a superficial facsimile of. Much like how an AI is but a pale imitation of a human mind without any real intelligence.

The big problem with having an AI try to TEATD something, is that there's dozens of voices in the book, it'd just give you a mashup that's just generic 40K prose.

In the desolate realm of my hunger, I shall summon forth a legion of fried potato tendrils, their crispy forms resembling skeletal fingers reaching from the depths of the fryer, to accompany the charred flesh of the burger, a grotesque yet satisfying union of emptiness and fullness.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Blood Pact is being done by Toby Longworth, which hopefully means we’ll get an answer as to wether the original Gaunt’s audiobooks will be re-recorded.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Philthy posted:

I finished EatD2 as well.

Some goofy fanboy thoughts:
When Emp gave up his power, it was worded that he returned to his perpetual self. It also went into detail how Actae died, then immediately came back to life, and explained how she could get back to full power in the matter of days, weeks, maybe months. I believe Abnett explained maybe a year or so back in an interview that it was possible the Emperor was dying over and over on the throne with no time to heal.

Things that popped into my head:

Someone else could have been on the throne instead of the Emperor this entire time. Actae? Vulkan?

Possibly an opening for a powerful psyker who can seat themselves on the throne long enough for the Emperor to regenerate, or do the life/death/life perpetual dance the Emperor may be doing currently. Actae, and Vulkan again? It also went into detail how the Thousand Suns wanted the Emperor to support them, but they were forced to the side of Chaos. Ahriman seemed pretty peeved that his legion sided with Chaos, and was hell bent on finding a way to destroy Chaos because they knew how poo poo the whole situation was. Magnus could return and seat himself. Doesn't seem likely, but the entire side of Ahriman explaining this seemed purposeful to me, it didn't fit really.

I also just started book 3 Godblight of the Dark Imperium series and it has a Grey Knight named Ionan Grud who is so powerful that he defeated Typhus and puts out a psyker aura that even one of Guilliman's champions was surprised at. He mentions he knows he wouldn't last a second fighting Grud if he had to, and that Grud's aura was so great that it must have been what it was like to stand in the Emperor's presence. Not even the Sigilitte was mentioned having an aura that strong. Take a seat on the throne for a few days, goddamn.

Just makes me wonder if they'll ever have the Emperor come back setting a stage for Abbadon to finally let Chaos empower him as a budget Horus 2.0.

Keep reading Godblight

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
It's a shame that Abbadon has actually been kinda successful, but he could still end up being a Napoleon III if they wanted to do "History repeats itself, first as tragedy second as farce."

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

sharknado slashfic posted:

Keep reading Godblight

:ohdear:

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs

Sharkopath posted:

It’s one my my favorite omnibuses and I still love to reread the description of Slannesh.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

:twisted:

Allow me to throw in a vote for the novella Severed while we're talking about Necrons. I got surprisingly attached to the main characters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/26/sunday-preview-noble-knights-with-pennants-flying/

You want some new books? Of course ya do!

Only one physical release going up for pre-order next weekend, but it's also the Vaults of Terra Collection by Chris Wraight that was announced earlier this week.

Don't think it was mentioned in the previous article that all books in this also comes with an extra short story, no idea if it's new but it might be.
Limited to 1500 copies, so remember to be on the store early on Saturday if you want one.

On the audiobook side we have Witchbringer by Steven B Fischer, and, as previously mentioned, Blood Pact by Dan Abnett. But also a re-release of the Damocles collection.

Speaking of short stories, there's also going to be another Black Library Advent Calendar.

Interestingly, or amusingly, enough the article only namedrops Adrian Tchaikovsky, Nate Crowley, and Mike Brooks as featuring authors.
Which is a shame since there's stuff by David Guymer and Marc Collins as well.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Witchbringer, any good? Author's name rings no bells

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

Limited to 1500 copies, so remember to be on the store early on Saturday if you want one.

Does signing in earlier actually work? How early? I tried last LE release 20 minutes early and it put me in a queue before a queue. I thought it was randomized. If I jump on 4 hours early, will it put you at the front of the queue when it hits?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Probably not that much for all I know, but people do recommend getting on the store early if there's a CE you want.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Queue is random no matter what time you join as long as it's before release.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Is it just me or is Chris Wraight's M.42-era fiction way better than his Heresy-era stuff? I read Scars, Path of Heaven, the Jaghatai primarch short novel, and Warhawk, and they were all decent, competently written but didn't really jump out at me as especially great. I'd read multiple people commenting about how Wraight was a top-tier writer and I really was not seeing it, I didn't think he was anywhere near the level of ADB, much less Abnett.

More recently I've read Lords of Silence, both Watchers of the Throne books, and now I've started Vaults of Terra, and all of these have been superb. Now I get why he's so highly regarded. I'll reread his Heresy era stuff sooner or later and maybe I'll be more impressed by it, but does anyone else think there's a difference in the writing quality? Maybe he enjoys M.42 more than the Heresy, or maybe it's because he's getting to start from a clean slate in terms of characters and events?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Kylaer posted:

Is it just me or is Chris Wraight's M.42-era fiction way better than his Heresy-era stuff? I read Scars, Path of Heaven, the Jaghatai primarch short novel, and Warhawk, and they were all decent, competently written but didn't really jump out at me as especially great. I'd read multiple people commenting about how Wraight was a top-tier writer and I really was not seeing it, I didn't think he was anywhere near the level of ADB, much less Abnett.

More recently I've read Lords of Silence, both Watchers of the Throne books, and now I've started Vaults of Terra, and all of these have been superb. Now I get why he's so highly regarded. I'll reread his Heresy era stuff sooner or later and maybe I'll be more impressed by it, but does anyone else think there's a difference in the writing quality? Maybe he enjoys M.42 more than the Heresy, or maybe it's because he's getting to start from a clean slate in terms of characters and events?

I enjoy M42 way more than the Heresy, for what it's worth. I think a lot of readers in this thread do too.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kylaer posted:

Generally the farther you get away from primarchs the better

Not always true

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Without weighing in on which era is better overall, I liked the scars books in the heresy I don’t think I’m the only one in this thread.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

0konner posted:

Without weighing in on which era is better overall, I liked the scars books in the heresy I don’t think I’m the only one in this thread.

Nope, the Heresy-era White Scars books, including specifically Warhawk, are all really good.

I really want to do White Scars for Legionnes Imperialis, but I hate the idea of an all-white paint scheme.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!
All the best 40k authors struggle to write their best when in the middle of a big storyline that needs to be coordinated. Even Abnett has entries like Unremembered Empire, which sits at the meeting point of half a dozen different arcs within the Heresy. Wraight's M42 stuff is part of the big events of the era, but is mostly about some individual characters within that setting.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Witchbringer, any good? Author's name rings no bells

There’s a short story or two by them in some of the recent compilations that are direct prequels if you want a taste, but it’s generally completely okay for a first time novel.

Interesting conceit for a Guard novel, too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

mllaneza posted:

The big problem with having an AI try to TEATD something, is that there's dozens of voices in the book, it'd just give you a mashup that's just generic 40K prose.

In the desolate realm of my hunger, I shall summon forth a legion of fried potato tendrils, their crispy forms resembling skeletal fingers reaching from the depths of the fryer, to accompany the charred flesh of the burger, a grotesque yet satisfying union of emptiness and fullness.

You must remember to tell Mersadie that this is a Wendy's :hmmyes:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Nope, the Heresy-era White Scars books, including specifically Warhawk, are all really good.

I really want to do White Scars for Legionnes Imperialis, but I hate the idea of an all-white paint scheme.

I enjoyed Warhawk, I'm not intending to call it a bad book, it was definitely the third fourth fifth best entry in the Siege, after Echoes of Eternity and The End and The Death Volumes I, II, and III. But going straight from Warhawk into Echoes of Eternity it felt like there was a significant step up in writing quality, such that I would not consider Wraight to be on ADB's level.

Wraight's M.42 stuff on the other hand does feel like he's writing on a top-tier level. Watchers of the Throne is really good and I'm only a short distance into Vaults of Terra but it's amazing so far.

As an aside it's so nice to have such an assortment of really good writers in our silly nerd books. I remember when I got into 40K, there was Abnett, Sandy Mitchell if you enjoyed the formula by which he wrote all his stories, and...Graham McNeil on a good day I guess, Storm of Iron was okay I recall...and otherwise it was real bottom-shelf trash. Now Black Library is publishing from a whole slew of genuinely skilled writers and it's awesome.

(Can we please have Nate Crowley rewrite False Gods and Robert Rath do Galaxy in Flames)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah Wraight is as good as Abnett and ADB when he is writing original stuff but suffers when he is forced to fit it into a story and existing characters (although still better than most). His m42 stuff is probably my favorite even over Eisenhorn. Lord's of Silence is so my jam.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

D-Pad posted:

Yeah Wraight is as good as Abnett and ADB when he is writing original stuff but suffers when he is forced to fit it into a story and existing characters (although still better than most). His m42 stuff is probably my favorite even over Eisenhorn. Lord's of Silence is so my jam.

Lords of Silence is probably my single favorite warhammer book. It's just fantastic, gives some really cool insight into all sorts of pretty unique aspects of the setting, has great main characters, and characterizes nurglings as some kind of really disgusting cat style creature. what more could you want.

Oh and also the word bearers get humiliated

hopterque fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 27, 2023

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
"We always get. What we want."

"Demonstrably false. You're in a jar."

"For. Now :crow: "

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

There are a ton of 40k audiobooks for like $4 on the audible sale this week. A buddy is looking for his next listen and is a big fan of Tzeentch. Are there any Tz themed stories that might have audiobooks? I found a bunch, mostly Age of Sigmar, from a reddit thread but none of them have audiobook versions. All I could think of were the Ahriman books and I'm not sure how Tzeentchy they get.

I wish more of Fehervari's novels had audiobook versions.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

hopterque posted:

Lords of Silence is probably my single favorite warhammer book. It's just fantastic, gives some really cool insight into all sorts of pretty unique aspects of the setting, has great main characters, and characterizes nurglings as some kind of really disgusting cat style creature. what more could you want.

Oh and also the word bearers get humiliated

Did we read the same book? Because I recall the little lords being dumb-cute lil pets that were constantly running around pranking each other and would occasionally get picked up and petted, I even recall one "cooing" in a comforting manner when petted by a plaguemarine in deep contemplation over something.

It was the most wholesome :vomarine:/:3: thing Grandfather Nurgle had ever come up with

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Just wrapped up The Beast In The Trenches by Josh Reynolds and really enjoyed it. Is his other stuff similar? Or was he given more room to play in prose stylings and atmosphere because it was Warhammer Horror?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

bagrada posted:

There are a ton of 40k audiobooks for like $4 on the audible sale this week. A buddy is looking for his next listen and is a big fan of Tzeentch. Are there any Tz themed stories that might have audiobooks? I found a bunch, mostly Age of Sigmar, from a reddit thread but none of them have audiobook versions. All I could think of were the Ahriman books and I'm not sure how Tzeentchy they get.

I wish more of Fehervari's novels had audiobook versions.

Mephiston City of Light is a bit, but I personally wouldn't read that again if you paid me.