Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

As a parent I hate these apps too.

Yeah I think parents are at: gently caress the administration expansion and hire more teachers and pay them all more. Taylorism and scientific management is just going to make more teachers quit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Children don't need much in the ways of education to work the mines.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Your teacher's union should be fighting that bullshit with everything they have

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Comstar posted:

google search no longer lists any of my blog posts. They only come up in links to forum and reddit posts for some reason, unless I do the full blog name, but no one's ever going to search for that.

To be fair, after I disabled the advertising on it (which got 0 clicks in 5 years) it looks like it broke it for ALL search engines.

I guess if I don't have advertising on the site, none of the search engines care anymore.

I haven't logged into adsense in probably 3 years but every 2-3 days I get an automated violation notification that their system has detected ads appearing alongside bad content. Almost all of them are wrong, either saying ads are appearing in areas they aren't even set up in or claiming the content is adult when it is just a random 2013 article about a direct to video movie sequel announcement.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Duck and Cover posted:

Children don't need much in the ways of education to work the mines.

When I said I wish things were like back in the 90's, I didn't mean the 1890's!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Check their Minecraft playtime, the children yearn for the mines

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Probably a re-post but I'm here to complain about the absolute trash state of Christmas lights these days. All anyone sells are these piece of poo poo Sylvania C9 LEDs; Costco, Rona, Home Depot. I bought strings two years ago and now most of them dont work at all.

How the gently caress are we going backwards on simple technology?? (rhetorical question I know the answer)

If anyone knows of a brand that isn't garbage please post. I don't mind paying more for something good, but I don't even think that's an option anymore.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Paying more is always an option!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
watching criminal minds on my fire TV:

day 1: "Alexa play criminal minds"
it plays criminal minds on the episode i was on, on prime video
day 2: "Alexa play criminal minds"
it plays criminal minds from Hulu starting on episode one season one
day 3: "Alexa play criminal minds on prime"
it plays the episode i actually want it to
day 4: "Alexa play criminal minds on prime"
it plays Season 4 episode 1, the first HD episode I think, 2 seasons past where I am

From that point I have to manually search for "criminal minds" by text, and go to the series to be able to pick the episode I am on (in season 2). If I try "continue watching" from the main prime/fireTV screen it goes to season 4 and there is no way to view other seasons, you have to find the show in the library specifically to watch anything but the newest episode watched.

I finally made it to season 4, at which point it worked as expected for a couple weeks until one day I said "Alexa play criminal minds on prime" and it played season 16, episode 1. now I have to search for it by name every time I want to watch it, again.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Candy bars are $3. But don't worry! You can buy two fun size candy bars for $1.29!

Also:

Popcorn. loving popcorn. $65 for a tin.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
They unironically used the word plaza, that's a 400% upcharge on its own

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

Time_pants posted:

Candy bars are $3. But don't worry! You can buy two fun size candy bars for $1.29!

Also:

I've worked for a couple places that sell these during the holidays and that price is roughly 10x what it should be, which suggests a blunder, and I will choose to believe that is what happened here.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Szechwan posted:

Probably a re-post but I'm here to complain about the absolute trash state of Christmas lights these days. All anyone sells are these piece of poo poo Sylvania C9 LEDs; Costco, Rona, Home Depot. I bought strings two years ago and now most of them dont work at all.

How the gently caress are we going backwards on simple technology?? (rhetorical question I know the answer)

If anyone knows of a brand that isn't garbage please post. I don't mind paying more for something good, but I don't even think that's an option anymore.

https://tru-tone.com are neat looking don't know how durable they are in the long run.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Sentient Data posted:

They unironically used the word plaza, that's a 400% upcharge on its own

That's just what the white supremacist named that part of kc

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
We were at the gas station and there was a display of a bunch of kinds of popcorn in bags that were the size of a bag of chips. My wife grabbed one thinking it would a couple dollars. Nope, 8 US dollars and it wasn’t even good

I’m glad inflation is going down tho. I mean the second derivative of inflation. Thanks economists

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Professor Shark posted:

Our board is t as bad with the attendance or sub thing, but I can verify that we have multiple programs that we need to use and sometimes they change but teachers and admin still refer to the new ones by the old name, which makes it really hard for new staff.

To add, parent teacher meetings are becoming worse. Many parents come in seething and try to take out whatever is wrong with their lives out on the teacher. It’s crazy and we’ve basically had to switch to having admin present at all meetings.

Holy hell, my ex-wife wants to give a field report about her life before we even begin, and then interjects at every step of the process. It drives me loving nuts. Our parent teacher conferences now involve upwards of 4 people.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Szechwan posted:

I spent a small fortune on bare strings and led bulbs for this reason. We are on year two, and I had to screw a few in tighter, they got loose during the pack and unpack phase. So far so good.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

erosion posted:

I've worked for a couple places that sell these during the holidays and that price is roughly 10x what it should be, which suggests a blunder, and I will choose to believe that is what happened here.

Saw it at two separate stores.

e: more than a week apart

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2023

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Re: LED Christmas lights - I really don't like the look of them. Pure RGB colors don't look magical and Christmas-y, it just looks like "tech" to me. If that makes sense. They would look better if the diodes were just emitting white light and the casings were colored like the old school ones.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Re: LED Christmas lights - I really don't like the look of them. Pure RGB colors don't look magical and Christmas-y, it just looks like "tech" to me. If that makes sense. They would look better if the diodes were just emitting white light and the casings were colored like the old school ones.

They've already been mentioned on this very page but this is why https://tru-tone.com/ exists.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I am a teacher.

We now have a Special Amazing App to give exams with. It is just like giving a normal exam except I now have to stand there like a doofus taking photos of every kid's work, and then I can squint at the photos in the app to try to determine if it is correct or not, and then enter in individual scores by typing in their answers for each question on the app. Repeat this about 250 times.

We now have a Special Amazing App to get observed with. Previously, an office parasite of some sort who holds meetings by reading off a poorly spelled power-point slide would come into your class and 'observe' (play with their phone) and then bring you into the office to spend 20 minutes telling you how lovely of a teacher you are because you didn't begin and end the lesson by reciting the Lesson Objectives to the children. Now I get observed and I have to log into the special Observation App to find out how bad of a teacher I am. In the past, an office parasite would come to your desk and tell you that you're going to be observed soon. Now you can just check the app every single day to find out!

Previously, kids would take home their test scores and have to get mom to sign it to show how little Pnurtis failed to learn multiplication. Now, with the app, mom gets the score in real-time so she can call her child DURING the class because she checked her very special app and found out that Pnurtis got question 4 wrong.

Previously, if I was calling out sick I would call the office and say "I'm sick" and they would arrange a substitute. Now, I can call out sick using the Special Amazing App and log into it where it then needs to get approval from 3 different office parasites before the request passes through and triggers the Substitute Finding Task. Usually one of them misses it (because the app sucks) and the kids will be sitting in a room with no adult until they go all Lord of the Flies and then the school wildly panics trying to get a sub.

Previously I'd take attendance by looking around and seeing who was missing, then I'd notify the office if anyone was gone. Now, I can use the Attendance App and click each individual student by name to mark them as Present. The attendance app requires that I do this every 35 minutes even if my classroom door is closed the entire time and no one goes anywhere. The attendance app will lock you out if you don't do this within the first 5 minutes of each 35 minute class and then send the data to the office to show that I am a Bad Teacher. Every week we get an email showing who is the Worst Teacher by ranking them on how many times they missed the Attendance Window.

By the way, all of these are different apps that each require their own login, and will often log you out inexplicably and then demand to text you with a special code to log back in, sometimes the code even arrives.

That sounds like hell.

I teach one class and it's "hybrid". That means the students who come in person (which I really appreciate!) get to watch me give a powerpoint lecture to a webcam, because most of the students are remote. Remote is fine but I cannot work it with the equipment provided (a lapel mic that is out of batteries and a webcam in the ceiling pointed at the top half of the whiteboard) so I give an effective in person experience while also giving an effective online lecture. At least I can answer in person questions after class.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Szechwan posted:

Check the home zone thread, they have pages of christmas light discussions each year.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=553&perpage=40

They recommend "tru tones"
https://tru-tone.com/

e: beaten to it!

IOwnCalculus posted:

They've already been mentioned on this very page but this is why https://tru-tone.com/ exists.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I just got a new phone and it is made of the worlds most slippery material. When I'm talking to someone on the phone and am pinching it between my cheek and my shoulder I can feel it slipping down. I can feel it sliding between my fingers when I go for it in my pocket or hold it up to text or browse the internet. If I put it on the couch next to me, the divot in the couch made by my rear end can cause it to slide forward and off the couch. I live in mortal fear of this thing slipping out of my hand like a bar of soap and shattering on the ground.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Time_pants posted:

Also:

Those are 40 gallon drums, right?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I am a teacher.

We now have a Special Amazing App to give exams with. It is just like giving a normal exam except I now have to stand there like a doofus taking photos of every kid's work, and then I can squint at the photos in the app to try to determine if it is correct or not, and then enter in individual scores by typing in their answers for each question on the app. Repeat this about 250 times.

We now have a Special Amazing App to get observed with. Previously, an office parasite of some sort who holds meetings by reading off a poorly spelled power-point slide would come into your class and 'observe' (play with their phone) and then bring you into the office to spend 20 minutes telling you how lovely of a teacher you are because you didn't begin and end the lesson by reciting the Lesson Objectives to the children. Now I get observed and I have to log into the special Observation App to find out how bad of a teacher I am. In the past, an office parasite would come to your desk and tell you that you're going to be observed soon. Now you can just check the app every single day to find out!

Previously, kids would take home their test scores and have to get mom to sign it to show how little Pnurtis failed to learn multiplication. Now, with the app, mom gets the score in real-time so she can call her child DURING the class because she checked her very special app and found out that Pnurtis got question 4 wrong.

Previously, if I was calling out sick I would call the office and say "I'm sick" and they would arrange a substitute. Now, I can call out sick using the Special Amazing App and log into it where it then needs to get approval from 3 different office parasites before the request passes through and triggers the Substitute Finding Task. Usually one of them misses it (because the app sucks) and the kids will be sitting in a room with no adult until they go all Lord of the Flies and then the school wildly panics trying to get a sub.

Previously I'd take attendance by looking around and seeing who was missing, then I'd notify the office if anyone was gone. Now, I can use the Attendance App and click each individual student by name to mark them as Present. The attendance app requires that I do this every 35 minutes even if my classroom door is closed the entire time and no one goes anywhere. The attendance app will lock you out if you don't do this within the first 5 minutes of each 35 minute class and then send the data to the office to show that I am a Bad Teacher. Every week we get an email showing who is the Worst Teacher by ranking them on how many times they missed the Attendance Window.

By the way, all of these are different apps that each require their own login, and will often log you out inexplicably and then demand to text you with a special code to log back in, sometimes the code even arrives.

What the gently caress is this horseshit.

I'm just old enough to have missed cell phones being common place in the classroom, and holy poo poo am I SO happy because all this sounds like poo poo for literally all parties involved, except maybe crazy helicopter parents.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Car spots are now too small to actually park a car in and get out comfortably. If I drive to the shops, half the time I'm scared to get the car itself in and the other half the time I'm scared of scratching the car next to me when I get out.

The parks at my son's childcare are a joke, it's that Simpsons gag but in real life. You literally can't park a car in every space.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

Does anybody actually like these loving things, they usually contain something so trite and maudlin as to be offensive. The Voight-Kampff test is actually being shown a Hallmark card. If you are touched by it the bladerunner comes and puts a bullet in your head.

I missed this post during greeting card chat but to circle back around it’s basically one of the only ways you can still preserve someone’s handwriting anymore or even receive a handwritten note and if you’re maudlin like I am occasionally it’s nice to read something someone wrote who isn’t around anymore. I love getting them even if the card sucks

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

abigserve posted:

Car spots are now too small to actually park a car in and get out comfortably. If I drive to the shops, half the time I'm scared to get the car itself in and the other half the time I'm scared of scratching the car next to me when I get out.

The parks at my son's childcare are a joke, it's that Simpsons gag but in real life. You literally can't park a car in every space.

My assigned work spot is like that. I have had to crawl out of my trunk on occasion. I threatened with an ADA complaint and building management took out a grudge on me

Edit: I had a handicap parking permit, but there were only 6 spots for a building of hundreds of people + visitors so they were always full. When I did manage to park in the handicap spots they stuck a ton of unremovable stickers all over my car and threatened me with fines. I was told either give up my assigned spot and use 1 of the 6 handicap spots or stfu and use my assigned spot in which I had to climb out of my trunk

shazbot fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 26, 2023

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

Those are 40 gallon drums, right?

6.5 gallon.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

abigserve posted:

The spaces may or may not have changed, but cars keep getting bigger every year. I believe that there are several popular US models that are larger than WW2 tanks. Could it be that?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

bossy lady posted:

I just got a new phone and it is made of the worlds most slippery material. When I'm talking to someone on the phone and am pinching it between my cheek and my shoulder I can feel it slipping down. I can feel it sliding between my fingers when I go for it in my pocket or hold it up to text or browse the internet. If I put it on the couch next to me, the divot in the couch made by my rear end can cause it to slide forward and off the couch. I live in mortal fear of this thing slipping out of my hand like a bar of soap and shattering on the ground.

Cases! I got a nice leather one (from upleder while I was living in germany) and I wouldn't use this thing without it, even though it makes it much bulkier. You can generally get more form-fitting ones with a non-slippy back on too from like, amazon. The phone even came with a case which wasn't terrible for that.

Without one though it has a glass back, and I can see that being trouble in multiple ways.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

doctorfrog posted:

As a parent I hate these apps too.

I think most parents do hate them.

The problem is the selection bias. The parents who are most involved with school are the ones who have no lives (or often even jobs) outside of loving with school. So they really enjoy having all this bullshit to do school related things because maybe it gives meaning to their wine mom lives.

A lot of this stuff appeared during Covid and just never went away even after we returned to regular school. Too many peoples jobs are tied up in making sure it stays.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Actual Satan posted:

Your teacher's union should be fighting that bullshit with everything they have

No, many or most teachers dream of becoming an office parasite one day themselves. You see, they can fix education with this One True App!

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

What the gently caress is this horseshit.

I'm just old enough to have missed cell phones being common place in the classroom, and holy poo poo am I SO happy because all this sounds like poo poo for literally all parties involved, except maybe crazy helicopter parents.

I worked at a different school that had cameras in all the classrooms. Parents could log into these cameras and watch at any time so you can then harass the teacher instantly when they fail to call on Little Pnurtis who had her hand up so gracefully.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I think most parents do hate them.

The problem is the selection bias. The parents who are most involved with school are the ones who have no lives (or often even jobs) outside of loving with school. So they really enjoy having all this bullshit to do school related things because maybe it gives meaning to their wine mom lives.

A lot of this stuff appeared during Covid and just never went away even after we returned to regular school. Too many peoples jobs are tied up in making sure it stays.

it's also jittery middle class parents trying to power-level their kids into early death careers of suitable prestige.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Grapes! posted:

I worked at a different school that had cameras in all the classrooms. Parents could log into these cameras and watch at any time so you can then harass the teacher instantly when they fail to call on Little Pnurtis who had her hand up so gracefully.

Wtf that's unbelievably stupid. Imagine having cameras in a kitchen so the customers can watch you grilling their McFishDelight.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Did Sara Lee bread used to be good or are they just good at marketing

Someone brought some of the Sara Lee artisano rolls to thanksgiving and they’re horrible compared to the kings Hawaiian

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I've been thinking about the topic of schools and teachers. Do you think that schools, public ones in particular, are incentivised to appeal too much to parents? I mean, when I went to school the teachers were the authority figures and that was a ripe ground for certain kinds of abuse to an extent but the scales seem have slid to the point where teachers are expected to kowtow to parents and every move is scrutinized. This is a lovely situation and I do not envy teachers.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
If you drill right down to it, there was a point when (white, middle class) people could assume that most systems weren't out to gently caress them.

That is no longer true, so now (white, middle class) people no longer trust the systems around them, and that includes schools and teachers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

Did Sara Lee bread used to be good or are they just good at marketing

Someone brought some of the Sara Lee artisano rolls to thanksgiving and they’re horrible compared to the kings Hawaiian

Sara Lee has always been a tier or two above the cheapest stuff at the store, but it's still relatively cheap store bread. It's worse then the 'Good poo poo' and it's substantially worse then anything you'd get at a real bakery.