Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Not to mention at least half an inch on berthoud. I could see tracks in the parking lot on the cdot cams! Dry road though, looked like.

A WhatsApp group I am in sent a video from berthoud yesterday and someone connected "looked pretty good". It looked like grass, rocks, and wind blown slab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

spwrozek posted:

A WhatsApp group I am in sent a video from berthoud yesterday and someone connected "looked pretty good". It looked like grass, rocks, and wind blown slab.

haha I heard nitro chute is absolutely firing right now though

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
New powder board arriving Monday so I will let it begin to snow I suppose

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I’m ready, for snowsports

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Time posted:

I’m ready, for snowsports

Me too but not quite needy enough for this, yet.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm looking to bounce around between a few different resorts this year and spend a month at each. Curious what resorts yall would recommend for reasonably priced season tickets with small crowds in smaller towns/cities. I'm looking for anything west of Kansas. Would be up for going to Canada as well.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

huhu posted:

I'm looking to bounce around between a few different resorts this year and spend a month at each. Curious what resorts yall would recommend for reasonably priced season tickets with small crowds in smaller towns/cities. I'm looking for anything west of Kansas. Would be up for going to Canada as well.

I'd be hard pressed to call it a resort but Purgatory fits the rest of your description. Durango is the feeder town about 30 minutes away, the longest lift line I've ever seen is maybe 5 minutes but 1 minute or less is the norm. 1600 acres and I think 2000 vert. And Wolf Creek is drivable if you want some variety, and Silverton if you want high level backcountry

E: time it for Snowdown, Durango's weeks-long winter festival in January. Tons of activities and super fun https://snowdown.org/

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Nov 20, 2023

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Snowdown is a lot of fun

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Get an Ikon and chase storms.

Or drive up to Canada and check out places like Red Mountain, Fernie, Castle, Whitewater, Big White, etc

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Attempting to plan ahead to save a buck on early-booking rebates sure bit me in the rear end. Booked hotel and ski passes and everything in France for a certain date of arrival, figured train tickets certainly shouldn't be the issue. When the SNCF opened ticket sales for the ski trains, it ended up in a huge frenzy to the point their servers became unavailable and crashed. Because both the Paris et al holiday tranche starts their vacation, as well there being half-terms in the UK apparently. Everything on my intended day of departure has sold out within hours, while I was sitting with my thumb up my rear end being none the wiser and wondering why the Belgian booking portal hid all routes (because servers).

Got my ski pass during a promo, now I can't refund it, or reschedule it to the new date, due to that and need to find a way to ditch it. :thunkgun:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
been spending money on ski stuff, now it just needs to snow.

picked up my pass, on the waitlist for indy pass add on, skis and bindings showed up the other day and should be ready monday-ish, and have a new jacket and bibs coming. Was shoe shopping today and the store had i/o mags for $100 so I guess I have another pair of goggles now too.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 25, 2023

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm going to a ski resort in a few months. Is it crazy to wear the Xtratuf deck boots as my general "getting around resort/town" boots (assuming I throw some reasonable socks on)? I live on the beach and these are the only thing I own.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You're gonna freeze.

I live in LA but why not spend 60 bucks for some warm boots with traction and actual insulation? Hell I'd pay like 120 bucks not to have cold toes

edit: It's black friday everywhere here you go these are 40% off and will last you ten years

https://www.steepandcheap.com/salomon-toundra-pro-cswp-boot-mens

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 25, 2023

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm going to a ski resort in a few months. Is it crazy to wear the Xtratuf deck boots as my general "getting around resort/town" boots (assuming I throw some reasonable socks on)? I live on the beach and these are the only thing I own.

It might depend on how far your walk is and how long you'll be outside but I would find someone else in if you're going to be walking around much, it spending extended time outside. If you're just wearing them on the drive up and changing into ski boots in the parking lot, you'll be fine.

I was looking for new muck boots and I tried those on. You're going to freeze. They're surprisingly not very robust and thinner than I expected. I hated how floppy they felt. Without more insulation your feet will be very cold. They're great for waterproofness but that's it. If it's warm you might be fine but if you're in a resort lot when it's 5°f they'll be pretty chilly. Even a different brand with thicker neoprene will be warmer. I bought dryshod brand ankle boots and they feel much warmer.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sorel's are even cheaper on sale right now

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

PRADA SLUT posted:

its fine imo i normally just wear my summer hikers and wool socks, but also depends as has been said what your doing. if you go hiking at all you'll probably get cold feet.

buy nicer socks if you're gonna upgrade

i have a thick pair of calf socks that sweat me out in all but the coldest days, and i have cold feet and live where it can stay at or below zero for weeks https://darntough.com/collections/s...D=merino%20wool

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 25, 2023

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

PRADA SLUT posted:

you will be fine walking around town. I wear sneakers all the time.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A buddy of mine has a pair of those same boots that he wears mainly for getting to/from skiing. They might be totally fine depending on where you’re going and how cold it is and whether you’ll have to walk through deep snow. I personally pretty much only bother wearing my Sorels when snowblowing/shoveling/doing other winter yard work in deeper snow. YMMV

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

If you are going to be "walking around Breck" or something similar you don't need anything else for the town.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seconding Darn Tough socks, they are very good and the lifetime warranty is killer

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

bawfuls posted:

Sorel's are even cheaper on sale right now

Seconding this, buy Sorrels

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone ski at Vail/Breck/Keystone this weekend? Worth going for a weekday to shake off the cobwebs yet?

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Anyone ski at Vail/Breck/Keystone this weekend? Worth going for a weekday to shake off the cobwebs yet?

Haven’t skied the epic resorts but skied copper today and Eldora yesterday. Just groomers, copper was reasonably empty this morning, no lift lines and not too many people to avoid on the runs. Just groomers and pretty firm. I imagine similar at the others. If you want to rip groomers go for it, bring your sharp skis.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Edit: Way wrong thread.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Went to WP today. They only had greens open. It was sad.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr Newsman posted:

My wife is attending a conference outside Calgary towards the end of January.

Got buyin from the in-laws to watch our kids and it'll be the first ski-trip for us in like 4 years.

Never been out west and am looking at like 8-10 days of skiing. Any recommendations on how to plan this trip out? We've got 50% off mountain collective tickets for the major resorts out there and unsure if we should try and hit anything outside the Big 3 near Calgary.

Like it's easy to say let's head to Revelstoke and Marmot but those are hauls on top of a long flight. I'm used to east coast resorts that you can see most of in a day so not sure what a good spread would be.

edit: sort of leaning towards ~4 days at Revelstoke and then head back towards Calgary for the conference and bop around Lake Louise / Sunshine but open to suggestions. Would be all resort skiing if that changes anything.

Peak Rankings has a lot of video reviews of places in the Banff and interior BC areas (amongst many other places). Whether you put any stock in their rankings is up to you, but the videos can at least give you an overview of the mountain(s)

Example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1M7gDQvLLc

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

omg I need to hit this guy up before sells his place in kicking horse

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Hey it’s finally fuckin snowing. Unrelated, I just received a kangaroo scrotum bottle opener as a Christmas present.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I was promised 8-10 inches at Purgatory but it's all going to Wolf Creek. 90 minute drive but snow or 15 minute drive and rocks. Sigh.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I’m gonna burn through a whole bunch of weed augmenting my ski playlist in anticipation of the white ribbon of death

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I went to Keystone yesterday to shake the legs out. It wasn't great, but it definitely beat not skiing. Hoping for lots of snow this weekend!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I went to Keystone yesterday to shake the legs out. It wasn't great, but it definitely beat not skiing. Hoping for lots of snow this weekend!

I was there today and yeah not amazing but a few blues open. Zero lift lines at least.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yay

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Finally!

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Someone explain to me how the snowmass snow contraption works because I've been staring at it for a few minutes and it isn't very intuitive...

Are the shelves hours? inches?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The numbered shelves on the either side look like inches. The two shelves at the bottom in the foreground are what get cleared off at different times. The "24 hour total" presumably gets wiped clear every day at the same time (probably 8am or something?) The "storm total" on the right gets wiped clear between storm cycles.

So that image looks like maybe 2-4" in the last 24 hours and about 10" total for the current storm.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I asked my wife to get my snowboard from storage and she brought my f’ing splitboard. Flying clown flags today.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The numbered shelves on the either side look like inches. The two shelves at the bottom in the foreground are what get cleared off at different times. The "24 hour total" presumably gets wiped clear every day at the same time (probably 8am or something?) The "storm total" on the right gets wiped clear between storm cycles.

So that image looks like maybe 2-4" in the last 24 hours and about 10" total for the current storm.

this is like a great idea with terrible UI

When i saw the various snow piles on each of the inch layers, I thought there was some weird magic going on where it's showing snow at different elevations or something.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Patio furniture is the preferred method

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Skied today on Berthoud, it was surprisingly good. Cold cloudy and windy but coverage is there to not worry too much about sharks. Found quite a few quality turns and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.