Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I really, really, really recommend a paint pot holder. In my adult life I have only ever lost one paint pot to a spill, a bottle of typhus corrosion and it was awful. Ever since then I use 3d printed object designed to hold paint pots. The ones I have look like drop pods and I picked them up before I was into 3d printing. They are great, they make it very hard to spill paint and are thematic. Etsy has some that are less thematic but more practical and hold open the paint pot lid for you :

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
if i'm gonna buy paint pot holders, i can just buy dropper bottles instead

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Lumpy posted:

Micron pens are very good at making very tiny dots.

My things to buy list gets larger and larger.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Cease to Hope posted:

if i'm gonna buy paint pot holders, i can just buy dropper bottles instead
I've spent an amount of time this evening adding accessories like this to my cart until the total came out to hundreds. I haven't even bought the paint yet! I resolve to get my primers, clippers. knife and a file tomorrow at least.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, I've spent 3 weeks messing around with these guards, and I'm calling it on these 12. There's a bunch of mistakes and undone parts, but I just don't care anymore. It's time to move on.

I'll practice adding some terrain detail on the base, and then they're done.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

I picked up new paints and I picked up some frame work minis for my first time putting together little men! I picked up the tiefling warlock and the human warlock for a few reasons
  • haven't painted a magic man yet and figured it'd be a nice change to get a hi res and nicer looking spell caster
  • it's what they had

Remember these guys? Well.

I'm not in love with the army painters speed painters paint (2.0). it's great because it gets on the mini fast but also; it's so runny and hard to control. this guy was hard to work with and his big star didn't work out the way i wanted it to. but! i liked highlighting the collar because it made him look like a evil priest and I think the tentacle cloud came out pretty good. it didn't come out transparent though, but I had primed it and gave up.

Remember these guys? I wanted to see if I could paint them but with the new paints I got
[quote="Ominous Jazz" post="536023305"]
I'm happier with this one. turns out that skirt isn't metal but I like the way it looks. the metal is the leadbelcher from citadel that I picked up. it's shiny.

Shrek Like Individual (SLI)

I used some leadbelcher metalic paint with the dark red and got a Cool Looking Guy.

pros: yes
cons: the "holy white" in that paint is WAY more just a gray and doesn't brighten anything up when I mix it and i got two of them

these were the cheapo models i picked up and while they're sparse on detail they're kinda charming.

A friend 3D printed this clown for me. It had some goop on it still. Next time i'll sand it down a bit. I wasn't thinking so they're the trans flag clown.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
my local store had a bunch of the frameworks minis at like 5 bucks a pop and the fifty dollar orc framework pac for 15

if i paid fifty dollars for seven minis and got doubles of the ugliest and least personable two i would have dropped this hobby like a wet brick

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
x-posting from the 40k thread, painted this preacher tonight

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Oh also do people usually use a varnish on their minis?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I don’t have any time to play games with these, and the rattlecan went bad when I wasn't looking, so I stopped

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
If games varnish good?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cardboard Fox posted:

My hands finally stopped shaking after my 17th attempt at adding white to the eyes of my Orc. There's no way I'm going to be able to add a little black dot with the brush that I have, so I'll just say this Orc was infused by Sigmar or something....

But then I realized, what if I just make all the eyes pure red....

You see, the Orcs are known to become so enraged that the eyes glow blood red. Isn't that a cool piece of lore?

If it makes you feel better you shouldn't be dotting eyes but rather drawing ovals that are cut off at the top and bottom

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Lostconfused posted:

I just don't care anymore. It's time to move on.

This is the way.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

If games varnish good?

If you are going to be playing, yeah, varnish can be helpful. You can use a rattlecan to varnish with, but I would test on a figure you are not in love with first to make sure it comes out ok. While I dislike brush on primers I actually really like brush on varnish. that seems to work really well and you can avoid areas that you don't want to varnish. Or change varnish sheens. You may want to do this if you have an area that you want to look shiny or wet.

Also, if you start placing decals or transfers on your minis you will find that the edge of the decal looks very, very visible. This is not an error on your part; and the solution is to go over the decal with matt varnish. The varnish will also help lock in the decal in addition to getting rid of the visible edges.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

My hands finally stopped shaking after my 17th attempt at adding white to the eyes of my Orc. There's no way I'm going to be able to add a little black dot with the brush that I have, so I'll just say this Orc was infused by Sigmar or something....

But then I realized, what if I just make all the eyes pure red....

You see, the Orcs are known to become so enraged that the eyes glow blood red. Isn't that a cool piece of lore?

In the future try the “paint the eye black, tidy around the eye, then put a dot of white on both sides” method. It makes a fine line in the center and usually looks great. If you mess up, justbpaint black and start again.

For Orks… I just paint red

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Ominous Jazz posted:

If games varnish good?

if you're using brush-on varnish, cheap stuff from the craft store is fine.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I pretty much always varnish, a coat of gloss for protection and a coat of matte because I prefer the matte finish. You dont have to, but I do to a) protect the paint, and b) unify the finish. I use paints from all different brands, some of them are glossier than others (or at least kind of satin-y) and the varnish knocks that back. I do have a pot of brush-on gloss varnish in case there are parts where the matte finish doesnt work for me, but I rarely use it. Really just on occasional magic flames or glowing eyes.

Unrelated, other than I just varnished them yesterday (and photographing them shows I did a piss poor job of the matte coat from any angle other than straight on); This week I did some Malifaux Mindless Zombies as a straightforward low stakes paint job.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Eej posted:

If it makes you feel better you shouldn't be dotting eyes but rather drawing ovals that are cut off at the top and bottom

Yeah, I tried the oval method, but was not successful. More practice is required.

Professor Shark posted:

In the future try the “paint the eye black, tidy around the eye, then put a dot of white on both sides” method. It makes a fine line in the center and usually looks great. If you mess up, justbpaint black and start again.

For Orks… I just paint red

I even struggled with the first dot, let alone doing anything else. Maybe I need to brace myself better on the table.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

They are designed to try out your paints to make you buy paint more often.

This is a conspiracy I actually believe with my full chest

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

Maybe I need to brace myself better on the table.

Try to keep both elbows on the table and hands or wrists gently braced together. I've noticed that the Citadel painting buttplug improved my brushwork a ton over the wine bottle cork + blu-tac method, since I can turn it this way and that without worrying I'm going to pop the model off the handle.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Looking for a few strong men to hold me down in my model painting room. No no, not like that, I just need to paint a few eyes.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I generally have until recently. Not playing a lot of games lately and varnish can do weird things to surface finish efft your doing metallics,weathering etc.

If you were gaming though, do a coat of gloss, then a coat of Matte. Gloss is for protection, matte makes it look good again.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Looking for a few strong men to hold me down in my model painting room. No no, not like that, I just need to paint a few eyes.

Tell them you painted them but the models are sneaky gits and therefore you can't see them

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Would a layer of varnish impede attempts to improve a model?

I might want to get an army painted to an unfinished but workable point to actually play a game with them to see if I actually like playing the tabletop game before investing more time in the troops to make them prettier.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bell_ posted:

I might want to get an army painted to an unfinished but workable point to actually play a game with them to see if I actually like playing the tabletop game before investing more time in the troops to make them prettier.

You can paint over varnish. A lot of people will varnish in between painting steps to protect underlying layers and it's a very common thing when doing very high effort paint jobs

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Painted this dude and his flag. One more to go.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Varnish is usually one of the last steps though, because it does give the miniature or a model an even finish similar to a wash. And as mentioned it helps hide some uneven surface shade stuff like decals or fine sanding marks.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Bell_ posted:

If you already plan to paint them further I wouldn't concern myself with varnish to protect models for what half a dozen games before you decide to paint them to a finished state? If you do varnish them I recommend a matte varnish.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bell_ posted:

There's a specific reasons you might want to varnish mid model as people have mentioned, but definitely try to avoid the mindset of re-painting models constantly.

There's something to be said for keepi aground some early work so you can remember where you came from. Worst case, there are a few different ways to strip down models as well if your really looking to start fresh

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sigh, random bits of cork barely look like stones or rocks if you're lucky.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

Sigh, random bits of cork barely look like stones or rocks if you're lucky.

That is why one manipulates said bits of cork and then paints them rather than relying on luck.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I usually get away with it by using several other elements like crackle paste and foliage and whatnot so there's enough visual interest on the base you only have to get 60% of the way there and it'll still work.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Well, yes, that's extra work I might have to do at some point in time. But between that and the very light brown "mud texture" paint I've ended up with a very desserty sorta look. So now I need to figure out how to do make it more grassy looking besides just painting the sides of the base in green.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Get some grass tufts and stick them on. Only really tiny scale miniatures can get away with "green paint is grass"

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
this post has a soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhMO9azmKNU

thanks for listenin' ya'll

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I absolutely adore Opossums!

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I say this with all the love in my heart; gently caress you.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

By craft store matte varnish, y'all just mean like, Modge Podge, right?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Arcturas posted:

By craft store matte varnish, y'all just mean like, Modge Podge, right?

no, just acrylic matte varnish/medium. some people have acrylic floor varnishes they like too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Can I compel you to film yourself putting paint down. Please.