Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I’ll get back to Jake Roberts later, but for now, there’s a big AEW PPV coming up on Saturday and it has some neat build-up, so I’m going to write about that.

Normally, Rampage is on Friday night, Collision is on Saturday night, and if there’s a PPV, it tends to be on Sunday these days. Instead, Full Gear is on Saturday, so that means Friday is Collision at 8 (where it will get butchered by SmackDown), Rampage at 10 immediately after, and a Countdown to Full Gear show at 11. Then it’s the Full Gear pre-show at 6:30 on Saturday followed by the main show at 8.

So here’s what’s going on. At least, so far. We’re probably getting a last-minute Hook vs. Wheeler Yuta announced for the pre-show. Maybe Miro vs. Andrade El Idolo.

MJF (C) VS. JAY WHITE

AEW World Championship

Recently, renown piece of poo poo MJF turned face thanks to his unlikely friendship with Adam Cole. He also just barely retained his title against Samoa Joe thanks to both Adam Cole’s support and a bit of cheating (which Joe respected). Unfortunately, when Cole was running and jumping to the ring, he accidentally busted his ankle, so he’ll be out for a while. Supposedly.

MJF was soon antagonized by Jay White of Bullet Club Gold. Soon after, Jay was brutalized backstage by a series of masked men led by a man in a Devil mask. The same one that MJF used to wear. Bullet Club Gold and Cole’s jealous friend Roderick Strong both feel that it was just MJF up to his old tricks, but MJF has been pretty adamant that if he did do it, he wouldn’t be hiding it.

Without any real allies on his side, MJF has been outnumbered and overpowered by Bullet Club Gold, who stole away his physical title belt. Now Jay acts like he’s the actual AEW Champion just because he carries it. Trios Champions the Acclaimed won over MJF and tried to have his back, but they failed to help him defeat Bullet Club Gold. Later that same show, the Devil and his goons beat up the Acclaimed backstage.

So who is the Devil? MJF? Adam Cole? Britt Baker? Roderick Strong? Jack Perry? CM Punk? Hopefully we’ll find out at Full Gear.

MJF AND ??? (C) VS. THE GUNNS

ROH Tag Team Championship

Another rough part of Adam Cole’s injury is that he and MJF are the ROH Tag Champs. Sure, MJF was able to singlehandedly defend the titles against the Righteous thanks to lots of cheating, but he bit off more than he could chew thanks to his determination to prove himself against Bullet Club Gold. Austin and Colten Gunn challenged him for the tag titles on the PPV’s pre-show and MJF accepted.

Samoa Joe has been focused on getting a rematch for the AEW World Championship to the point that he vacated his ROH TV Championship. He has repeatedly offered his services to MJF in return for a title match, but MJF has been understandably reluctant. It might be time for MJF to make the deal.

HIKARU SHIDA (C) VS. TONI STORM

AEW Women’s Championship

When Toni Storm lost the AEW Women’s Championship, it kind of broke her mind. She started acting like a faded 1950’s starlet, and her insanity reached a point that it ended her membership to the Outcasts. As Hikaru Shida later won the title for the third time, Toni has been obsessed with her. She’s been regularly showing up during her matches, which has annoyed and confused Shida.

Toni admitted that she feels like Shida has been constantly stealing her spotlight, like preventing her from entering All In as champion and even beating her to the punch at becoming 3-time champion. She not only wants that title back, but she wants revenge on Shida for her perceived slights.

ORANGE CASSIDY (C) VS. JON MOXLEY

AEW International Championship

For the better part of a year, Orange Cassidy has held the International Championship with pride, going against his lazy persona to defend it as often as possible. It broke him down physically over time, but he kept squeaking out wins. That came to an end when he hit a wall by the name of Jon Moxley. As the main event of All Out, he showed spirit, but it was a match he could never win.

Moxley’s title reign was not a long one, though that was not intentional. Due to receiving a legit concussion mid-match, he chose to have challenger Rey Fenix get the win on the fly. This kind of threw a wrench in the story, especially since Fenix wasn’t exactly at perfect health either. Fenix lost to Orange, but now Orange knows that his new title reign means nothing if he can’t take down Moxley.

While Orange is well-rested compared to their first battle, a recent tag match shows that his signature move the Orange Punch has little to no effect on Mox. Healed up or not, Orange is still the underdog by a mile.

KRIS STATLANDER (C) VS. JULIA HART VS. SKYE BLUE

TBS Championship

While she has yet to defeat Kris Statlander, Julia Hart has been making waves lately with a sustained push and her tendency to corrupt others by spitting black mist into their eyes. Skye Blue is one of her victims, but she seems to have conquered whatever it was that Julia was doing to her thanks in part to the support of fellow mist victim (and upbeat person) Willow. Skye even spat blue mist into Julia’s eyes to send a message.

A mini tournament was set up to settle who Statlander would be defending against. Julia defeated Willow while Skye defeated Red Velvet. Now it’s all coming to a head.

RICKY STARKS AND BIG BILL (C) VS. FTR VS. LA FACCION INGOBERNABLE VS. KINGS OF THE BLACK THRONE

AEW Tag Team Championship

Ricky Starks and his bodyguard Big Bill were given a title opportunity against FTR and shockingly annihilated them within minutes thanks to Cash Wheeler being taken out of commission early on. FTR have wanted to recuperate and get a shot at winning their belts back, but they have been the targets of the enigmatic House of Black.

Meanwhile, Rush has been trying to toughen up his stable, La Faccion Ingobernable, via a violent trip to Mexico and has recently returned with the team acting like a bunch of hardened badasses. While LFI did help out FTR in an eight-man tag match, they showed no interest in friendship. LFI is its own thing.

Ricky and Bill wanted nothing to do with either challenger, but were annoyed to discover that they were being booked into a four-way against all three teams.

HANGMAN ADAM PAGE VS. SWERVE STRICKLAND

Texas Death Match

Ever since Hangman stopped being AEW World Champion, he was never quite the same. Outside of one title shot, he never came close to the top for one reason or another (but probably because of CM Punk). Swerve Strickland, who was always on the cusp of greatness, confronted him over it. He felt that Hangman became complacent and that it was up to Swerve to take Hangman out and steal his spot, since he wasn’t really using it.

Hangman wasn’t so bothered at first. Swerve’s allies the Mogul Embassy defended the ROH Six-Man Tag Championship against Hangman and the Young Bucks and despite Swerve appearing on the ramp throughout, Hangman was able to keep it cool and win the belts.

Then they had their singles match at WrestleDream in front of Swerve’s hometown. The place was completely on his side, which got under Hangman’s skin. Swerve won thanks to some interference from his manager Prince Nana.

Swerve and Hangman were supposed to have a face-to-face promo, but Swerve did not show up. Instead, he revealed that he had broken into Hangman’s home and cut a promo over Hangman’s son’s crib. This absolutely got in Hangman’s head and he became so obsessed with searching for Swerve during shows that he abandoned the Young Bucks when they were doing a rematch against the Mogul Embassy. With those odds, the Embassy regained the belts.

Hangman has since gotten his hands on Swerve and has been increasingly erratic. He has gone on to say that he plans for he and his son to visit Swerve’s headstone annually and piss on the grave. The two had a face-to-face where neither were allowed to touch each other else they would be suspended for the rest of 2023. Hangman took that opportunity to beat the poo poo out of Prince Nana while Swerve could do nothing to stop it.

KENNY OMEGA AND CHRIS JERICHO VS. THE YOUNG BUCKS

If Omega/Jericho win, they become #1 contenders for the tag titles. If they lose, they can never team up again

For a long, long time, Kenny Omega has been at odds with Don Callis and his Family. Callis also started warring with Chris Jericho, who chose to work together with his old rival against their common enemy. Having Omega team with Jericho seemed like a good thing, but the Young Bucks didn’t agree. Matt and Nick Jackson resent Jericho and feel that Omega working with him is a mistake and an insult.

The Bucks have started acting more and more like assholes, which includes behaving like CM Punk without outright stating the obvious. You know, like Omega saying he just wants to talk and the two of them attacking him for it.

Anyway, Omega and Jericho at least had success by teaming up with Paul Wight and Kota Ibushi to defeat the Don Callis Family in a loving ridiculous and awesome street fight sponsored by the newest Yakuza game.

STING, DARBY ALLIN, AND ADAM COPELAND VS. CHRISTIAN CAGE, LUCHASAURUS, AND NICK WAYNE

Darby Allin and Christian Cage have been feuding for... goddamn, it’s been a long time. A lot has happened with their rivalry lately, as Darby’s protégé Nick Wayne joined Christian, Adam Copeland showed up to confront his former tag partner, and Sting announced he was retiring in a few months.

Copeland claims that he doesn’t want to fight Christian. He just feels that Christian is being a dick and that Wayne and Luchasaurus were going to eventually discard him. He wants to do one last tag run with his BFF. Christian told him, “Go gently caress yourself.” Sting has been able to get through to Copeland and convinced him that he needs to join them in kicking Christian’s rear end.

NEW AEW SIGNING

Tony Khan made a big deal on social media about a major signing who will be appearing at the PPV. Since the recent WWE firings still have a month to go on their no-compete clauses, the popular beliefs are either Mercedes Mone (Sasha Banks) or Will Ospreay.

It’s probably Mercedes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gavok posted:

The place was completely on his side, which got under Hangman’s skin.

I want to add to this, because I was there for both Wrestledream and the Collision beforehand: Tony Khan came out before Collision and said "hey everybody it's Swerve's birthday today, let's bring him out here." Everyone cheered, of course, so he came out and just kinda stood there not reacting. Then he said "You gonna boo Hangman out of the building tomorrow too, right?" and left.

So we had to.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
You got worked brother.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What was I supposed to do, say "no Swerve, despite the fact it is your birthday and this is the only thing you want, I will not give it to you."? That's not okay.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
It was a good work.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I watched some shoot interview where Ric Flair was going on about Diamond Dallas Page being an rear end in a top hat for "politics" and asking the trainer to ice him down. He's spitting into a bottle and his tongue is lolling out of his mouth the whole time.

Ric Flair is a piece of poo poo.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

lollin at roh signing Ronda Rousey

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlmightyBob posted:

lollin at roh signing Ronda Rousey

She's not signed, it was allegedly a one-time favor for Marina Shafir.

Ronda is doing this weird tour of the indies thing and has been showing up on several shows you wouldn't have expected her to be on.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I feel like Photoshop Products for Ric Flair To Endorse would make a good thread.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

AEW's PPV tonight had a match where in the opening minutes, Hangman Page stapled Swerve Strickland a bunch of times, stapled a piece of paper (of a drawing Hangman's son made) on Swerve's face, then laid on his back and drank the blood that poured out of the wound. Then it got more violent from there.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

TEXAS

loving

DEATH

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Gavok posted:

AEW's PPV tonight had a match where in the opening minutes, Hangman Page stapled Swerve Strickland a bunch of times, stapled a piece of paper (of a drawing Hangman's son made) on Swerve's face, then laid on his back and drank the blood that poured out of the wound. Then it got more violent from there.

Oh boy Jim Cornette gonna be spinning in his coffin

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Oh boy Jim Cornette gonna be spinning in his coffin

Corny is already blowing up Swerve's phone to come gently caress his wife

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Defiance Industries posted:

Corny is already blowing up Swerve's phone to come gently caress his wife

No no, be fair, his wife is blowing up his phone to come gently caress her while he watches.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gavok posted:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One thing that Bryan Danielson has always wanted to do in his career is take part in NJPW's G1 Summit, a split round robin tournament that they do every year. Even if he could put up with how physically taxing it is to go through, it isn't exactly viable for him to go to Japan for that stretch. Seeing as how they're making a big deal about Danielson's final year as an active wrestler, AEW is now doing their own G1 Summit called the Continental Classic, which begins tonight.

They just announced all the participants today.

GOLD BRACKET:
Mark Briscoe
Jon Moxley
Swerve Strickland
Rush
Jay Lethal
Jay White

BLUE BRACKET:
Andrade El Idolo
Bryan Danielson
Eddie Kingston
Claudio Castagnoli
Brody King
Daniel Garcia

The weakest pull in there is Jay Lethal, who is solid in the ring, but kind of boring compared to everyone else. Daniel Garcia isn't the best either, but he has a storyline that goes well with him being thrown in here. Otherwise, it says a lot that there's plenty of people who absolutely should be in there despite it being a solid roster (Kenny Omega, Powerhouse Hobbs, Takeshita, Penta, Roderick Strong, etc.).

So over the next six weeks, each bracket will go through every possible singles combination with three points awarded per win and one point per time limit draw (20 minutes). No managers or entourage allowed. The two finalists meet at the next PPV for a title that combines the ROH World Championship and the NJPW Strong Openweight Championship into a new title that can be defended across all three promotions.

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

IMPACT!™ is rebranding back to TNA in January 13th, and their """new""" logo looks stupid in current-year 2023

they should have a logo that isn't nostalgiabait bullshit

EDIT: also their website is a mess

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

spaceblancmange posted:

lmfao i'm going to have to find this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2lDXfdafwQ&t=276s

The "kill yourself" is at 4:36

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

HOLY poo poo THAT IS AMAZIN

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Annnnnnd Punk came crawling back to WWE.

Have fun with that, guys.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Gavok posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXboO0zESxs

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Sack of poo poo, sure, but I bet this ain't cheap lol

I wonder what he spends his money on? Does he have a bunch of cars? Is there a CM Yacht?

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
In one of the great strange ironies you could never see coming, coming soon for Punk's new gimmick, Stardust 2: Straight Edge Boogaloo.

(Ie it will not surprise me if he regrets this immensely sooner or later.)

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sack of poo poo, sure, but I bet this ain't cheap lol

I wonder what he spends his money on? Does he have a bunch of cars? Is there a CM Yacht?

Supposedly he owes a ton on some LA real estate.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gavok posted:

they shoehorn him in and cut him off :lol:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Gavok posted:

Supposedly he owes a ton on some LA real estate.

Those lawsuits that shattered his friendship with Colt Cabana probably weren't cheap.

Turns out convictions have a price. CM Punk in Saudi Arabia will be very funny.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gavok posted:

:sickos:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
triple H is going to kill him

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

triple H is going to kill him

according to insiders punk met with triple h early this week and none of the roster knew he'd be there until they saw him lol

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
well at least punk knows he will be safe from real glass in wwe

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

AlmightyBob posted:

according to insiders punk met with triple h early this week and none of the roster knew he'd be there until they saw him lol

I call bullshit on that first part because they've been hinting at his return for a while now.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Work or not Rollins looking legit angry at Punk has me interested in WWE for the first time since Sami Zayn was doing "ucey".

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

His AEW run was enough to make me not interested in what punk was doing anymore. He's become everything he was complaining about 10 years ago, and also physically broken down.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

the bitterest in the world has returned to professional wrestling's premier red flag factory. wonder how much expensive mayhem Punk will wreak backstage this time around? and more importantly, once it does happen, will Triple H do the correct and properly carny thing and accept the implied challenge of single combat with A/V equipment (unlike the coward Tony Khan)?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

snoremac posted:

Work or not Rollins looking legit angry at Punk has me interested in WWE for the first time since Sami Zayn was doing "ucey".

rhea looked pissed too lol

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
that makes this story from a few weeks ago even funnier

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bYWAHuFbLoc&t=33m51s

Cubone fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 26, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I, for one, am happy for CM Punk and hope he finds great success in WWE before he burns it all down again due to his own hubris.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

snoremac posted:

lol legit pissed nothing, I posted this in another thread about this because it looks about as legit

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Okuteru posted:

Those lawsuits that shattered his friendship with Colt Cabana probably weren't cheap.

Turns out convictions have a price. CM Punk in Saudi Arabia will be very funny.

Didn't he also get sued by the doctor over the whole made up story of his boil being life threatening MRSA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Didn't he also get sued by the doctor over the whole made up story of his boil being life threatening MRSA?

IIRC, Punk got sued for defamation of character in regards to Amman's competence as a doctor (and won that lawsuit, since it was correctly pointed out that Amann was still employed by WWE and so had suffered no loss of business as a result of Punk's remarks), not specifically about the MRSA thing (the fact that it wasn't MRSA or as bad as Punk claimed it was didn't even come up until during the trial, I believe, when the dr. that performed the procedure gave his testimony).