Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

aniviron posted:

How do you think one gets a multi-ton rock into one's home? I can think of a few ways but none of them sound convenient.

Generally, the easiest way is to build the house around the rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

PYF Bad & Weird Houses: Someone sucked the ceramic glaze off the nipple

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aniviron posted:

How do you think one gets a multi-ton rock into one's home? I can think of a few ways but none of them sound convenient.

Build your home around the rock. It was there first.

Edit: second page...!!

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Heath posted:

Build your home around the rock. It was there first.

Edit: second page...!!

You joke but it's been done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1ny9LgjRDA
"Inside a Family Home Built Around a 12,000-Year-Old Boulder"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A twelve‐thousand year old rock is like a baby.

Canada has rocks four billion years old.

I assume that the rock in that house is a glacial erratic that was actually deposited twelve thousand years ago, but formed long before that.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Trabant posted:

A couple of Instagram downloads (need sound)

Not to be too judgy, and the rocks boulders do look :krad: but once you're DIY-ing steel beam supports you might be in too deep:

https://i.imgur.com/jyihbZT.mp4

When your JO crystal is so massive you have to structurally reinforce your house to support it, that's some serious JO power. Huge loads in more ways than one.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1001-Parkwood-Dr_Nappanee_IN_46550_M30514-14962

quote:

Executive, custom built home with 7 bedrooms. This home features nearly 12,000sqft of living space. Updated/recently remodeled kitchen with tons of cabinetry! Main floor laundry room! Updated master ensuite with beautifully finished bath (walk-in tile shower, private water closet, double vanity & walk-in closet). Family room with fireplace, formal dining area, spa room. Finished lower level offers workout room, cave room, mother-in-law apartment, theater room, private office & 2 story great room. Home sits on 2 parcels. Newer metal roof & flat roof.

Huh, I wonder which room is the "cave room":

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I'm not sure what the "cave room" is for? Something for kids to crawl around in once and get bored of? It doesn't look possible to spend any real time in there. If it was the walls and ceilings that's a neat idea, but the floors? idk...

However, as someone who genuinely likes the look of exposed brick, the cave room bothers me much less than "you better like the sports teams I like or you have to paint over all the bricks for good, they are ruined". (I know it's kind of sort of possible to restore brick, but you're not erasing all of that and going back to normal). No problems with the teams or anything, just a really bad resale decision.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Oh that cave room looks fun as hell. Hmm, I wonder if there's gold in that shag carpet. Someone get the pick axe.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Which old shooter am I thinking of?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

By popular demand posted:

Red Faction?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Outlaw?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I honestly have no idea myself, I just know it's there.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Also these aren't bad houses at all, but Stephen Sondheim's Manhattan townhouse and Connecticut getaway are both online and making me wish I was a rich New York snob.

e: but does anyone know what this thing is? Some sort of antique pinball machine? (e2: "Bar Billiards" apparently)

rollick has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Nov 12, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I'm definitely getting Unreal vibes, myself, with the way the carpet looks like a bad texture.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

you can't fool me, that's from Glitter Gulch Mine in Banjo-Tooie

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
carpeting the cave room was a poor decision

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Feels like the cave room is a nap room for pets

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Maybe they were digging the basement and ran into bedrock or out of money?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If so, I wish the new owners all the very best of luck running a vacuum over that lumpy-rear end floor to pick up the pet hair. (For extra fun, imagine trying to use a carpet shampooer in there!)

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
All is explained

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
"contemporaneous-styled dwelling" is some Midwestern-rear end back speech

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Twenty Four posted:

I'm not sure what the "cave room" is for?

Cave things. Knowers will know.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Soul Dentist posted:

"contemporaneous-styled dwelling" is some Midwestern-rear end back speech

I will thank you to remember that Frank Lloyd Wright is from Wisconsin. It's everyone else who is doing it wrong.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cave things. Knowers will know.

I guess I don't know, because:

Sadly, that didn't explain anything other than "some guy built a huge house with a carpeted "cave room", then someone bought that house later".

Also seeing a big opportunity lost by carpeting the walls. They should totally be blackboards for making cave drawings! That's something kid me, or even now me, would get a kick out of. Could use a fireplace too, don't half-rear end the cave room experience!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Trabant posted:

A couple of Instagram downloads (need sound)

Not to be too judgy, and the rocks boulders do look :krad: but once you're DIY-ing steel beam supports you might be in too deep:

https://i.imgur.com/jyihbZT.mp4

Puttin' doorknob dents in my giant geodes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Twenty Four posted:

Sadly, that didn't explain anything other than "some guy built a huge house with a carpeted "cave room", then someone bought that house later".

A lot of things in life are explained by "a rich weirdo did it and people are just going along with it because the weirdo is rich".

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Think of the smell! You haven't thought of the smell you bitch!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/9bl4ieT.mp4

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nothing like a morning shower to give you a buzz of energy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That is one hell of a garage area, what are the state laws regarding armoured vehicles?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks fine to me, no point adding more pointless rooms just to fill space, you could use that space for a lot of practical work.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

As long as there's another detached work shop nearby that's pretty perfect honestly.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Perfect for what?

Before answering, note the apparent complete lack of exhaust vents/fans over the garage.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

That's a lot of garage! A neighbor down the street has an external garage about that big, maybe a little more. The original homeowner was a mechanic and did work (for pay) in there and it made sense. The current couple that lives there just fill it with junk, so idk.

Another neighbor that moved away out into a county area got a nice old house with some land that has a huge external garage maybe 5 times as big as the one in that floorplan if I remember right. It's freaking huge. The guy likes to collect old classic cars, and he works on them as a hobby, so it makes sense. He's not super rich or anything, some of them are old rust buckets with a history but he has some nice ones too. It makes him happy and honestly the garage is cool as hell. Plenty of tools, air conditioned, an office, couches, a bar, a couple of pool tables, and the biggest nice-looking beer can collection I've ever seen, all up in the rafters on shelves around the whole building. Has to be thousands of them, tons of different types. No huge clutter or anything.

Anyhow, the house posted above doesn't look great from the outside to me, just a big rectangle with ugly siding, and it might take a while to sell, and while that garage might be wasted on you or me, it's going to be a huge selling point for the right person.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Perfect for what?

Yeah, they really should have used that space for a cave room.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Perfect for what?

Before answering, note the apparent complete lack of exhaust vents/fans over the garage.

It's just a render. I kinda love it honestly, having a big rear end garage I could put a lift in is definitely a life goal. Only complaint I have is the second floor has three bedrooms but only one bathroom.

https://www.architecturaldesigns.com/house-plans/barndominium-with-front-entry-garage-and-2-story-great-room-135192gra

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Kind of wish they'd done a few quick interior renders too.

Even though it's weird, I don't hate it. A few oddities (besides the obvious) do jump out at me though. No coat closet, no windows in the office, the laundry room and mud room should swap position, great big exhibitionist window right on the sill of the bathtub.

But those are minor points and I've seen far stranger in actual houses. I covet that garage. I have no idea what I'd actually do with it (I'm not even really a car guy) but I still want it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Why do house plans insist on putting the clothes-closet INSIDE the bathroom, with no other way to access it? All that shower steam isn't going to be good for your clothes/shoes/boxes of junk.

Of course, I grew up in one of those incredibly deprived households with only 2 bathrooms for 8 people, so we thought civilized people got dressed/did their hair & make-up in their bedrooms, with natural lighting.