Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's not exactly a unique experience in the history of warfare for a small, attacking force that has the initiative (like Hamas arguably did on October 7) to rout a larger force, which seems to be exactly what happened here.

Also the madman factor where if someone turns the dial from self-preservation all the way over to aggression they can do a lot of damage before they get taken down. If you have 12 guys against 2 then you've already won the fight, there's absolutely no reason for you to accept any risk at all, particularly not from someone who will very happily trade 1 for 1 with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You need 3 things to win a gunfight: Speed, Surprise, and Violence of Action.
If you don't have all 3, doubling up on the other 2 will most often still win. In close combat, the one you need to always hold if aggression- once you lose momentum, you've lost the fight.

The Ununiformed combatants came with all 3; most Israeli Soldiers have no experience in combat. Kicking in doors and abusing the unarmed isn't the same as a dude willing to make you earn a medal. Being shot at is, as they say in the AF, a significant emotional event. If you've never faced your own mortality, your Lizard brain very well might override all your training.

I personally watch any video of that kinda thing, because I'm mentally ill and want to learn everything I possibly can, because losing a gunfight and walking away leaves a indelible mark.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

FrozenVent posted:

What does this video bring to the discussion?

It's funny?

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't see anything worth discussing in this video. What am I missing, in your opinion?

How do Hamas fighters sit down with balls that big?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Alchenar posted:

Also the madman factor where if someone turns the dial from self-preservation all the way over to aggression they can do a lot of damage before they get taken down. If you have 12 guys against 2 then you've already won the fight, there's absolutely no reason for you to accept any risk at all, particularly not from someone who will very happily trade 1 for 1 with you.

This isn't really true at all imo, you're never going to win a fight if you aren't willing to even engage, no matter what numerical advantage you have. It's also pretty clearly not what's happening in that video anyway.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BUUNNI posted:

How do Hamas fighters sit down with balls that big?

Dunno if it counts when you have a literal death wish. Like the body cam footage from the guy who bravely charged the main gate of an Israeli base and promptly got shot, but not before shrieking in terror when he realized he was dead.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

psydude posted:

promptly got shot, but not before shrieking in terror when he realized he was dead.

I don’t think dead people can realize they’re dead and then shriek at the realization lol

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

Dunno if it counts when you have a literal death wish.

This is a stupid loving thing to say dude

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I presume he was referring to this:
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hamas.asp

quote:

The Slogan of the Islamic Resistance Movement:

Article Eight:
Allah is its target, the Prophet is its model, the Koran its constitution: Jihad is its path and death for the sake of Allah is the loftiest of its wishes.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

McNally posted:

Their opinion.

I've been a little lax on enforcing this, but don't just drop poo poo into the thread and expect conversation to happen about it.

Understood sorry 👍

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

BUUNNI posted:

I don’t think dead people can realize they’re dead and then shriek at the realization lol

In the one "this guy dies at the end" bodycam video I was able to bring myself to watch, the guy left this mortal coil with a scream/grunt that was clearly "OH gently caress THEY KILLED ME", no translation required. The intent of the anguished yelp is clear, and then they just don't move anymore.

Probably not the same video, but once you've seen it, you know what it means, and I guess it's not really funny after that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hamas leadership anticipated it would be a largely one-way trip.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-war-hamas-and-israel-were-inches-deal-hostages

quote:

A second source confirmed this. He said Hamas sent in 1,500 fighters, expecting that most would be killed.

“Somewhere around 1,400 fighters came back,” said one source.

He said that as the fighters had expected to die, and as all resistance from the Israeli forces had crumbled, this force kept on advancing, attacking locations that were not on an original list of targets, and they ended up with a far larger number of hostages than they had planned for.

That's from a pro-Palestine Qatari newspaper.

And interviews with Hamas / PIJ fighters since then have contained similarly fatalistic thinking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/funerals-for-west-bank-dead-jenin-israel-hamas-war

quote:

He is a martyr. I am happy for him. This is my wish too. Our wish is to be martyred.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 24, 2023

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
Of course anybody willing to fight in this is fatalistic. All their life has been punctuated with entire families being murdered to kill one person on a list who may or may not even be there. Just look at the aerial photography of leveled neighborhoods. Israel has raised them to be fatalistic.

There's a reason Norman Finkelstein and others compare this to the Warsaw ghetto uprising.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Not a lot of places in the world where you can be a 20 year old who has experienced 4 wars.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Mods change my name to Hamas.com

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1726937954080170289?t=wW3CkVSeKiCfs_H2Lh1IGg&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dang I did not expect EkuNNN to get a new job like that.

This is a joke that’s a bit hard to explain if you didn’t read SAD last month.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

psydude posted:

Hamas leadership anticipated it would be a largely one-way trip.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-palestine-war-hamas-and-israel-were-inches-deal-hostages

That's from a pro-Palestine Qatari newspaper.

And interviews with Hamas / PIJ fighters since then have contained similarly fatalistic thinking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/10/funerals-for-west-bank-dead-jenin-israel-hamas-war

It's the same poo poo as "dyin for are country" or the flag, or the king or jesus or whatever. Everyone says that poo poo.
Saying that means they can't actually be brave just sounds like classic gwot era islamophobia/racism.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

BUUNNI posted:

Sometimes people can tell real quick that they're dying and bleeding out after being shot. I've seen enough videos to have seen people saying "I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead" or "I'm dying." And then they die.

But you're right, most people who don't immediately have their off switch smacked don't realize they're dying.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's the same poo poo as "dyin for are country" or the flag, or the king or jesus or whatever. Everyone says that poo poo.

Perhaps you're right and it is brave, but it's also stupid. Can we at least agree that enthusiastically "dying for the cause" or your preferred symbol/government/diety etc. really only benefits those at the top? I'd say that's been a common thread throughout most wars for the past 60 years, including the two that many of us are personally acquainted with.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Sometimes people can tell real quick that they're dying and bleeding out after being shot. I've seen enough videos to have seen people saying "I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead" or "I'm dying." And then they die.

But you're right, most people who don't immediately have their off switch smacked don't realize they're dying.

In the one I saw, the guy gets hit once and tries to run, falls down, and then shrieks before he's shot several more times. I've stopped listening to videos with the sound on since then.

psydude fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 24, 2023

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah I sometimes have a hard time getting that poo poo outa my head. Some things you just can't unsee / unhear.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the whole discussion reminds me of that line from Patton:

quote:

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other poor dumb bastard die for his country.

which, if dug into, appears to be a variant of a common saying from multiple 20th century western militaries:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/04/24/war/

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

pmchem posted:

the whole discussion reminds me of that line from Patton:

which, if dug into, appears to be a variant of a common saying from multiple 20th century western militaries:
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2015/04/24/war/

The sad thing is that Patton died before he could witness the US losing multiple wars across multiple continents against opponents that suffered many more casualties than the US did.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Patton was a piece of poo poo who wasn't that good of a General, but was good at politicking and building a cult of personality.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

bulletsponge13 posted:

Patton was a piece of poo poo who wasn't that good of a General, but was good at politicking and building a cult of personality.

My WW2 vet grandfather often said " We called him old blood and guts. Our blood and his guts."

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Farking Bastage posted:

My WW2 vet grandfather often said " We called him old blood and guts. Our blood and his guts."

isn't that another quote from the movie?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
^^ I honestly don't know if it is.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm sorry, they're talking about the #massacre where an IDF gunship killed a bunch of Israelis?

What am I missing here

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So seeing media reporting that the Houthis have grabbed (Or are actively trying to grab, reporting isn't clear) a tanker off Yemen, the MV Central Park, 2015 built, 20k DWT, Liberian flag, British company. The owner of the company that owns the tanker is an Israeli citizen living in Monaco. Dude's worth about 20 billions according to Bloomberg, and he's assuredly got more boats. And, again, insurance.

Boat's last port was Safi, Morocco, and she was transiting southbound through the Red Sea squawking "For order" as a destination so it looks like not only was she empty, she wasn't even on charter.

There's a crew onboard - 12-20 people - but I don't know what nationality or if they're ok, because see above RE people giving a gently caress about crews.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
So is the ceasefire and hostage swap Biden's work? That's pretty impressive if he managed to pull it off.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
According to the reporting the Qatari govt played an important role in the agreement to get hostages released. I'm not discounting US involvement but I doubt they were the only one to attribute this to.

Edit: actually it seems like the deal was brokered by Qatar, Egypt and the US

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/internati..._6278550_4.html

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 26, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Come on that is clearly going to be driven by the US.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm guessing Qatar doing the heavy lifting, with the US telling Israel to STFU and take the deal and Egypt providing the assurances on the humanitarian aid front.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Qatar pays a big bill every month to keep the people of Gaza alive and openly funds Hamas, not to mention it's public knowledge that they house Hamas leadership. Egypt has the border through which the aid goods and the weapons for Hamas flow. They have leverage

The US on the other hand has no leverage over Hamas aside from actively joining in the genocide.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Here is reporting on the deal and how it came to be. Qatar has a very interesting kind of city-state position where they hosted the Taliban leadership, host some Hamas leadership, also host the USCENTCOM forward headquarters and one of the larger US airbases in the region.

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-israel-hamas-war-hostage-qatar-0126c6443a9b3b32fe97032b81eaa515

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dance Officer posted:

Qatar pays a big bill every month to keep the people of Gaza alive and openly funds Hamas, not to mention it's public knowledge that they house Hamas leadership. Egypt has the border through which the aid goods and the weapons for Hamas flow. They have leverage

The US on the other hand has no leverage over Hamas aside from actively joining in the genocide.

The US has no leverage over Hamas, but it has substantial influence over Israel. And the Biden administration had been very vocally advocating for the hostage exchange and ceasefire during the negotiations. I'm sure privately they were putting it much more bluntly.

psydude fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Nov 26, 2023

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

psydude posted:

The US has no leverage over Hamas, but it has substantial influence over Israel. And the Biden administration had been very vocally advocating for the hostage exchange and ceasefire during the negotiations. I'm sure privately they were putting it much more bluntly.

I'm not at all disputing that. I was pointing out that the US alone had no way to bring Hamas to the table, it needed Qatar and Egypt.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Qatar occupies an interesting diplomatic niche. Along with the relations listed above they are also fairly friendly with Iran, despite current Saudi Arabia.

And we all remember what happened when the Saudis disagreed with this policy, right? MBS attempted to blockade Qatar. This was surely one of history's least effective blockades; was it Turkey that made a show of sending a bunch of cows in support? The Saudis dropped the blockade after some months and quietly improved ties since.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
3.5 years of blockade. It was costly and Qatar made significant investment in self-sustainment during that time (stuff like indoor farming etc).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It was really that long eh? I guess it was just KSA closing its land border with Qatar, so no great expense required to maintain the blockade. Costs from lack of trade excepted, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Count Roland posted:

It was really that long eh? I guess it was just KSA closing its land border with Qatar, so no great expense required to maintain the blockade. Costs from lack of trade excepted, of course.

The UAE also joined in. I know this because I flew to Kuwait via Qatar and then got asked to go to Dubai after I landed. I had to scrap my return flight through Qatar because of the blockade and wound up flying Saudia back instead. There was no booze and the episode of How I Met Your Mother that I watched was so heavily censored that the total run time was 12 minutes.