Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Open Source Idiom posted:

Rose is lovely, but a bit of a cypher tbh, and I felt the narrative didn't do them any favours by making them quite so symbolic at the end there. (Before someone jumps down my neck, IMO the solution would have been to do more with them and to give them more shading.)

You can use she/her pronouns for Rose—that's what everyone in the show does, in addition to Donna explicitly calling Rose her daughter a bunch of times. I take the 'non-binary' line as RTD trying to be cute, and being well-meaning but a bit old/cis. It's speaking to an idea that transpeople transcend or are outside the gender binary, even those who are 'binary' transpeople like Rose seems to be (and Yasmin Finney is, as far as I'm aware).

It's an understanding of gender that fits with the girl power ending of Donna and Rose solving the metacrisis because women are 'better' at letting stuff go than men are.

All that said—given the state of the world, especially Britain, I'd much rather RTD come out swinging on trans issues and stumble at bit with seemingly the best of intentions than not try at all.

Yeah, the other soldiers aren't held accountable for what they did (or tried to do) while they were affected by the space madness (or whatever, the magic sunlight that flips your switch to evil) so it's odd that the Meep is.

The soldiers also appear to be being mind-controlled by the sun madness into serving the Meep, rather than just turned evil like the Meep were, so I suspect RTD is hoping we don't think too deeply about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Was surprised by how weak most of the Meep's lines were once the Meep was outed as evil (and also that's about the point where the became mostly CGI and stopped physically interacting with people and that's kinda disappointing).

The evil Meep was a puppet too, just cgi-enhanced like before.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wolfechu posted:

Writing him running about when he first goes in must have been easy; just lead David up to the set with a blindfold on.

I have no idea if this is true, but according to some posts on Twitter they said in some behind the scenes thing, the running around wasn’t scripted but David’s idea. And he did it about 7 or 8 times before he got too tired to do it again. :allears:

edit: Now I’m seeing that in the commentary he says it was the director’s idea, but David picked his own route.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 26, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Melusine posted:

You can use she/her pronouns for Rose—that's what everyone in the show does, in addition to Donna explicitly calling Rose her daughter a bunch of times. I take the 'non-binary' line as RTD trying to be cute, and being well-meaning but a bit old/cis. It's speaking to an idea that transpeople transcend or are outside the gender binary, even those who are 'binary' transpeople like Rose seems to be (and Yasmin Finney is, as far as I'm aware).

Ah, I wasn't sure. I was kind of reading the "non-binary" line and the part where Rose says that "after all these years I'm finally me" to mean that they were coming out as non-binary, after previously identifying as female in everything we'd seen up until that point.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

A couple of interesting notes from the Video Commentary on iPlayer.

Gatwa is using the same Tardis set.

"The Boss" teaser doesn't refer to The Toymaker and isn't resolved until Gatwa as Tennent doesn't know what it means but the Producers do.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

Tennent doesn't know what it means but the Producers do.

I thought those guys were in prison at the end of the film

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

thrawn527 posted:

I have no idea if this is true, but according to some posts on Twitter they said in some behind the scenes thing, the running around wasn’t scripted but David’s idea. And he did it about 7 or 8 times before he got too tired to do it again. :allears:

I can't blame him, because I think he recognized that this is clearly a set designed for a lot of running and mobility.

Which I think is a really good sensibility for how to design a TARDIS set, especially for an RTD tenure: if there's a downside of a lot of New Who TARDIS sets, it's that while they had a lot of places to stand, they don't often have a lot of room to move, which is disappointing for a show that likes to get really active and mobile. I feel like only Eleven's first console room was all that good at actually being an interesting space for the actors to move around in; the Nine/Ten and Thirteen sets had space, but not much to really do with it outside of watch someone noodle around on the console. And the Twelve set was great for a lot of interesting framing and prop work, but was clearly kind of a pain to actually traverse.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Melusine posted:

It's an understanding of gender that fits with the girl power ending of Donna and Rose solving the metacrisis because women are 'better' at letting stuff go than men are.

All that said—given the state of the world, especially Britain, I'd much rather RTD come out swinging on trans issues and stumble at bit with seemingly the best of intentions than not try at all.

Yeah, it's worlds ahead of a lot of the mainstream UK media understanding of trans people, but it feels like Rusty went back to Journey's End, remembered he'd done the thing with the word 'binary' (at the time intended to mean the Doctor and Donna as an entwined pair) at the ending, and in classic RTD fashion decided to riff on it whether it actually makes much sense in relation to the rest of the story he'd written. Because (and note I'm coming at this as a dumb cis dude who tries to be educated so take with pinch of salt) Finney the actor and Rose the character both identify as women, so they're on the gender binary, just not the same side as they were assigned due to biological sex at birth, so while the idea of 3 people representing the sort of spectrum of gender identity of a Time Lord is neat, it doesn't quite track with the rest of the story and the reality of the performers involved.

But again, this is Davies Who, it's about the emotions and vibes way more than the literal text 90% of the time, and those work.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There are non-binary people that use she/her pronouns tbh. It's... not that strange.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.instagram.com/p/C0Fq_ERsCPS/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Another photo of the new TARDIS set with The Doctor and their companion

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

There are non-binary people that use she/her pronouns tbh. It's... not that strange.

That's definitely true, and I can see how someone would draw the conclusion that Rose is/comes out as non-binary, but I really think the show would have spelled that out for us if that was the intention.

If someone takes that away, good for them (esp. if they feel represented), but I personally don't think RTD is going for that level of subtlety or nuance when he wrote the lines about binary/non-binary. I agree with Gaz-L's take as being closer to the thought process as it appears on screen.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Harlock posted:

Also since I've been seeing it everywhere since, the new opening titles are great.

They apparently have very specific timing:

https://twitter.com/TheJazNetwork/status/1728710534264975869

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Keff version is very good

https://twitter.com/TheJazNetwork/status/1728740551686488298

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
big fan of how all those intro clips have a shot of Tennant looking like he opened his phone camera on the wrong side at the start

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's a bit weird that they're referring to this new regeneration as 14, when it's quite clearly just 10.
Exact same mannerisms and personality - there's nothing unique about him that'd make him a 14th 'personality' of the Doctor.

The Curator is a future regeneration, but would mean he'd also just be 4?

Gimmick is fun, but confusing. Hopefully it gets cleared up during the specials.
:thunk:

Also there's a new Doctor Who ep next week!
And the week after that!
Then there's a Christmas Special with a new Doctor!

Holy poo poo! It's been so long :3:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Infinitum posted:

It's a bit weird that they're referring to this new regeneration as 14, when it's quite clearly just 10.
Exact same mannerisms and personality - there's nothing unique about him that'd make him a 14th 'personality' of the Doctor.

The Curator is a future regeneration, but would mean he'd also just be 4?

Gimmick is fun, but confusing. Hopefully it gets cleared up during the specials.
:thunk:

Also there's a new Doctor Who ep next week!
And the week after that!
Then there's a Christmas Special with a new Doctor!

Holy poo poo! It's been so long :3:

He's the Doctor between the 13th and the 15th.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
He’s the “please watch Doctor Who again” Doctor

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HD DAD posted:

With a hint of trying to shore up an audience heading into the actual new Doctor's run

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Great stuff. Honestly, if I was being given the mouse's cheese to do my daft little Sci-Fi Tokusatsu Show I would absolutely sneek a disney line in.

Gaz-L posted:

With a hint of trying to shore up an audience heading into the actual new Doctor's run

Rusty might very well be the one for the job but I do not envy him given the mess he had to clean up.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 26, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

This is true, and in fairness to all of Rusty's Garth Marenghi approach to subtext, the lines at the end might have been intended as putting this point across, I think it does at least highlight that English is a lovely language to get across some of these ideas, especially in how it's socially coded because using words like 'daughter' definitely prime a viewer/listener to make some assumptions rightly or wrongly.

On a related but very positive note, having reflected, I actually really like the whole sequence of the Noble women at home. It's just a very tight bit of writing in microcosm of showing contrasting aspects of a family supporting this young woman. From Donna going full mama bear on the lovely transphobic classmates deadnaming Rose in the street, to her own monologue about how an unexpected avenue of a child coming into her own is what every parent hopes for, to Sylvia being well-meaning but a bit anxious about getting things wrong and making little mistakes (notably the pronoun slip only happens AFTER Rose has left the scene so it doesn't read as a microaggression, more a legit error from someone who's trying to learn).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

What? He's different, he several times unambiguously stated that he loved someone else without hesitation! That's character growth baby, the kind you can only get by dying thrice.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Saw a couple people in a Discord I’m in who watched that episode and didn’t realize Rose was trans. It’s baffling.

Anyway, that episode felt exactly like RTD Who on a bigger budget. Whether that’s good or bad is up to you, but for me that’s a positive. To me, it’s not a standout episode in isolation but was great as a return to form.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/mistressofnull/status/1728569553439842426

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

HD DAD posted:

yah and they're doing a real good job of it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

On a related but very positive note, having reflected, I actually really like the whole sequence of the Noble women at home. It's just a very tight bit of writing in microcosm of showing contrasting aspects of a family supporting this young woman. From Donna going full mama bear on the lovely transphobic classmates deadnaming Rose in the street, to her own monologue about how an unexpected avenue of a child coming into her own is what every parent hopes for, to Sylvia being well-meaning but a bit anxious about getting things wrong and making little mistakes (notably the pronoun slip only happens AFTER Rose has left the scene so it doesn't read as a microaggression, more a legit error from someone who's trying to learn).

yeah i thought this was by far the best bit -- the grandma that's clearly trying very hard and probably thinking too much about saying the right pronouns when Rose is around but then messing up and anxiously apologizing to her daughter, that's downright subtle and realistic compared to the rest of the content.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

The true brilliance of RTD's era of Doctor Who was writing the companions as a complete and full thing. Rose, Donna, and Martha all work because they are fleshed out, full humans, with thoughts/feelings/ideas and motivations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

eke out posted:

yeah i thought this was by far the best bit -- the grandma that's clearly trying very hard and probably thinking too much about saying the right pronouns when Rose is around but then messing up and anxiously apologizing to her daughter, that's downright subtle and realistic compared to the rest of the content.

This is the thing. Russell loves sci-fi but in a 60 minute script he really doesn't care if the McGuffins make sense, but his other work has always excelled at character focus. Honestly, I think Chibnall's problem is he's not as good at that as RTD and not as good at mystery box plotting as Moffat, so he was left with what felt like a weirdly muted halfway house that never quite nailed either of those nor found it's own way.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Diabolik900 posted:

Saw a couple people in a Discord I’m in who watched that episode and didn’t realize Rose was trans. It’s baffling.

I didn't realize it until the end. It's just not brought up in the show until that point which is good for representation but not so good for theming.

Edit: Okay, I couldn't hear what the bullies said so I just filled in generic bullying and moved on and the misgendering was such a tiny slip that it passed right by.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 26, 2023

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

eke out posted:

My mom is the grandmother to a trans woman and I can tell you, it all nailed it for me.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Eiba posted:

And along those lines- while the binary/nonbinary stuff didn't really land, even for me, someone who feels pretty solidly nonbinary, I don't give a heck. I feel what RTD was saying so firmly was so incredibly positive that I'm just beaming.

Yeah, exactly my sentiment. I felt a little like they had chosen to write Rose as trans/nonbinary for the plot point there and it ended up feeling a bit too forced to me, but the representation was still good, unflinchingly positive, and handcrafted to piss off bigots and I'm very here for it. It made me happy regardless.

Loved the episode. The Meep felt a bit one-note after the reveal, but whatever, that's not what I was here for. I'm just happy to see my favorite doctor with my favorite companion again and I love that there's going to be (presumably) happy closure for Donna before we move on to 15.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mooseontheloose posted:

yah and they're doing a real good job of it.

Oh they’re doing a fantastic job of it. This episode couldn’t have been more RTD unless he judo-chopped the camera man and directly screamed to the audience “I’m back, gayer, taller, and you cannot stop me”.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Clouseau posted:

My mom is the grandmother to a trans woman and I can tell you, it all nailed it for me.

I would have thought they might have added a Blåhaj

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Seeing chuds online mad about little things like a soldier being Sikh just proves how laser targeted RTD is with pissing them off and I love it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Doctor regenerates and revisits a lingering regret after immediately shooting Yaz down hard and not even letting her be present for regeneration. When Chibnall comes back for his 2nd term I expect we'll see 13 re-regenerate for a few specials as well.

edit: aww bummer. i was able top use vpn to watch doctor who on iplayer recently fine but suddenly today it seems to detect it.
made another account in different browser. maybe it detected me off the vpn in a tab before i switched back to UK on my other account idk. sorry King George but if you want to stop me watching without taxation you'll need a stronger barrier than a yes or no checkbox about my tv license.

edit2: hell yeah, iPlayer has a DVD video commentary for the special!

haha set design specifically want to always put crap on stairs since everyone with stairs has crap on em.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 26, 2023

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Early to predict a trend at this stage, but...

RTD1 gave us some suspect elements, like Last of the Time Lord's "everyone believe very hard and Doctor Jesus will save you from the bad man" or Children of Earth's presentation of how well humans do without the Doctor's help. Davros' accusation that the Doctor turns his companions into weapons wasn't entirely fair, but RTD clearly saw how Moffat answered him in the character of Clara and has rethought himself.

Because where RTD did also acknowledge how the Doctor makes people better, he seems to be doubling down now. The DoctorDonna/Rose thing suggests a reversal of Last of the Time Lords: maybe one human being alone can't be as wonderful as the Doctor, but together, we can. And it suggests an extension, where those different from the Doctor (as he's being presented) contribute something of value that the Doctor might not always be able to understand. The point didn't land very gracefully at the end of this first episode, but it's RTD: he'll keep making the point until he manages to make it gracefully.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jisforjosh posted:

Seeing chuds online mad about little things like a soldier being Sikh just proves how laser targeted RTD is with pissing them off and I love it

This was so just, like, contemporary Britain that it didn't even register with me as one of the things the dipshits would get up in arms about. Maybe it's just where I'm from, but the sight of a soldier or a copper in a turban and beard is just like.. unremarkable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HD DAD posted:

Oh they’re doing a fantastic job of it. This episode couldn’t have been more RTD unless he judo-chopped the camera man and directly screamed to the audience “I’m back, gayer, taller, and you cannot stop me”.

I choose to believe this happens every single day on set :hellyeah:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1728851112306819229

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jisforjosh posted:

Wait, I’ve seen a bunch of stupid negative takes (I can’t help but look, it’s a problem, I know), but I haven’t come across this one.

loving people. This didn’t even register to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Driven mad by the sun, but also I don't think it's particularly relevant to real life mental illness

By the PSYCHEDELIC SUN :catdrugs:

Lay off the shrooms, hippies!

It was a good episode, I really liked it. Tennant and Noble were back in form perfectly. I didn't mind the handwave explanation for the Metacrisis since it was needed just to get them back to adventuring together. It seemed a bit jarring though having Donna call the Doctor out on not "having a family" since 11 hung with Rory and Amy, 11 and 12 made it easy for Clara to see her family and go on adventures as a sort of side hustle, and of course, The Fam.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Or McGann's movie TARDIS...

You mean McCoy's :colbert:

I dig it though. My favorite interior is the 11 copper one, and this is the closest to that. Might even be better.