Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Oh dang it looks like youtube has blocked me from watching vids with uBlock enabled now. Sheesh.

Probably for the best, get to go cold turkey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

VictualSquid posted:

Well, the same argument holds for going with a yearly subscription instead of a monthly one, or one of those 2 year subscriptions. I do agree that 10 years worth of subscriptions is actually too much to pay for a lifetime subscription.

I have one lifetime sub on the basis that watching tldr news, mustard, paper skies and not just bikes ad free forever costs me as less of a couple of years of YouTube premium. The only issue I have is the lack of console clients, but edge on the xbox works somewhat fine.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

Oh dang it looks like youtube has blocked me from watching vids with uBlock enabled now. Sheesh.

Did you get a 3 strikes you're out thing? Does private still work?

I just tried, seems fine.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

priznat posted:

If you are not on Firefox + uBlock Origin then give that a try.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Youtube gets around ublock origin occasionally, but if you wait a bit, ublock will have it sorted again.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Ublock settings -> Filter lists -> click the 🕘 clock next to uBlock filters – Quick fixes -> Update Now

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wonder if Google goes eventually gung-ho and bans Google accounts of people continually evading the adblock detection. Would be hilarious for people to get their adjacent business accounts banned, getting their workplace in deep poo poo, because they happened to have it and their personal account logged in onto their home computer, where they adblocked Youtube.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That would be corporate suicide for Google and likely cause for a gigantic lawsuit because that's locking people out of their email, work documents, file storage and entire phones if they're Android users.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess it didn't hit the right person or business yet, or in sufficient number, because it has happened in the past that small business accounts got locked out by association to private accounts, and people had the run-around to fix it, with what human support at Google being enigmatic.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

If they ever applied it to K-12 and Universities, a lot of people would get angry very quickly.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
As much as it sucks its past time to ditch gmail. I got a $5/mo protonmail account and started the process last week. The premium account lets you bring over custom domains, so I transferred my domains off google while I was at it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I moved to Fastmail and I really like it, still a lot of stuff on gmail that I am gradually shifting over.

My only complaint with it is that I think the logo/app button is kind of crap lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Fastmail is awesome. The iOS app is great and so is the site-as-app feature on Windows 11.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Fastmail is awesome. The iOS app is great and so is the site-as-app feature on Windows 11.

Oh I’ve just used the web page on the computer, is that in the MS store? I should check it out.

I like how it has the integration with 1Password for the masked email addresses.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder if Google goes eventually gung-ho and bans Google accounts of people continually evading the adblock detection.

Zero chance of this.

But they might do even more degrading of the Youtube-specific experience for adblockers. Like, a thing they have right now is high-bitrate streams for Premium subscribers. They could go the other way and mark accounts that don't see ads for a restricted mode where you're 720p max or something. "If they don't generate revenue we can at least minimize the expense."

How well that would work out for them, I don't know. You can grab the supposedly Premium-only streams with yt-dlp. lol and lmao.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess it didn't hit the right person or business yet, or in sufficient number, because it has happened in the past that small business accounts got locked out by association to private accounts, and people had the run-around to fix it, with what human support at Google being enigmatic.

Was google punishing the customer for totally unrelated activity in these cases?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Google does have a history of disabling entire accounts for violating their terms on Youtube:

https://9to5google.com/2019/11/09/google-account-bans-youtube-emote-spam-markiplier/

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
They also banned a guy for having a picture of his own kid in his G Photos.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Klyith posted:

Was google punishing the customer for totally unrelated activity in these cases?
In the past there have been claims of incidences of that. If you're logged into multiple accounts on the same computer/session, Google seems to note that on their site. Seems like if you gently caress up somehow, Google will treat these other accounts as sockpuppets and ban these, too.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I like the reports from years ago where they would get as much info from you and then use that to cross reference and ban everything of yours from everything google

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

kirbysuperstar posted:

Definitely going to drop three hundo for a lifetime sub on a website that will undoubtedly be gone in two years

you don't even need to know chinese to see graphs from chinese reviewers who have better production values anyway

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Combat Pretzel posted:

I wonder if Google goes eventually gung-ho and bans Google accounts of people continually evading the adblock detection. Would be hilarious for people to get their adjacent business accounts banned, getting their workplace in deep poo poo, because they happened to have it and their personal account logged in onto their home computer, where they adblocked Youtube.

I want to point out that in the 3/17/2021 version of the Youtube TOS, which caught my eye immediately when I noticed it, it straight out says:

Terms of Service posted:

Terminations by YouTube for Service Changes

YouTube may terminate your access, or your Google account’s access to all or part of the Service if YouTube believes, in its sole discretion, that provision of the Service to you is no longer commercially viable. {emphasis mine}

I always took this as their intending on ban people who attempted to circumvent their ad system without buying into Premium (i.e. because they can't make any money off of you due to blocking ads). It survived through the 6/21/2021 update but the clause was removed in the 1/5/2022 update.

Maybe I misread the intention, but maybe someone challenged them on it and it was found to not be legally enforceable.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yeah if you think Google won't eventually start banning people, you don't know Google

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FuturePastNow posted:

Yeah if you think Google won't eventually start banning people, you don't know Google

Eh maybe if they're total morons. Which, don't get me wrong, maybe some Harvard MBA ends up in the right office at Google and decides to unleash his stupidity. But account bans would be counter-productive to them.

The limited subset of people for whom the accounts matter would be pissed and migrate. Business accounts, people making their living off google products (YT creators etc), it would be a glorious clusterfuck in that space.

Every day random people who care about having their firstname.lastname@gmail address would also be pissed and it would create a bunch of bad press about how grandma lost her account with a million years of precious family memories because mean 'ol google banned her when her grandson installed uBlock on her laptop.

But the sort of people who do poo poo like post on internet forums about add blockers and have opinions re: Google as a corporate entity? LMAO that group will happily spool up another alt account and evade the ban. Google would have to take a page out of Lowtax's book and start charging :10bux: to register if they wanted even the ghost of a chance of cracking down on that, and that would be actively counter productive. Their entire revenue model is based on selling mass access, and if they create any kind of friction for putting ads in front of people it's going to really hurt their bottom line.

This poo poo is all theater. They need to be seen to be proactive in order to convince advertisers that they're not just spamming Old Spice commercials into the void and that people actually see them. Some high profile headlines about Google's ad blocker crackdown does that. Joe Average Internet is still going to sit around dealing with ads and maybe throw google a few bucks for Premium.

It's already trivial to get YT content without ads, blocker or no, if you're willing to fiddle with stuff like yt-dlg. All this drama is just so they can look like they're doing something the next time a client asks about impressions and actual eyeballs-on-ads.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

yeah selling lifetime subscriptions just makes me think they're on the verge of collapsing and need a cash injection immediately to keep the lights on

Lifetime subscriptions never work for the company offering them. I bought a $500 lifetime subscription to SiriusXM back in 2005 and some years later they put some ridiculous limits on it (can only transfer radios once every 5 years, need police report if you’re claiming you are transferring because your old car was in an accident and/or stolen, need bill of sale if you’re claiming your car was sold).

It took a class action lawsuit for them to bring it back to the more reasonable but still bullshit “one radio transfer per year”.

Any company that survives long enough will eventually either straight up take away your lifetime subscription or do everything in their power to make you not want it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

Oh I’ve just used the web page on the computer, is that in the MS store? I should check it out.

I like how it has the integration with 1Password for the masked email addresses.

In Edge there’s a function to convert the webpage you’re looking at into an app you can pin to your taskbar. It looks and functions like a dedicated app.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

This poo poo is all theater. They need to be seen to be proactive in order to convince advertisers that they're not just spamming Old Spice commercials into the void and that people actually see them. Some high profile headlines about Google's ad blocker crackdown does that. Joe Average Internet is still going to sit around dealing with ads and maybe throw google a few bucks for Premium.
Oh the other hand, I can see them leading some users to the chopping block for the buzz it'll generate, suggesting they mean business and attempt to scare people into Premium or some poo poo.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Worth noting, the CuriosityStream promo for Nebula is ending. Apparently Nebula was getting almost nothing for it. CS hadn't made that clear on their site as of a few weeks ago, when my renewal was due. Might have changed since then.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Tiny Timbs posted:

In Edge there’s a function to convert the webpage you’re looking at into an app you can pin to your taskbar. It looks and functions like a dedicated app.

Doesn't Chrome do this as well?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

jisforjosh posted:

Doesn't Chrome do this as well?

It’s an OS level function in iOS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since we’re all in the process of ditching chrome, what is your favorite free Remote Desktop solution? I’m a heavy Chrome Remote Desktop user and I’ll be ditching that as well

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I'm the only person who needs to access my systems, so I just use Parsec on Macs and PCs. I don't have a great option other than tailscale + platform-specific stuff if you need a team though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tracecomplete posted:

I'm the only person who needs to access my systems, so I just use Parsec on Macs and PCs. I don't have a great option other than tailscale + platform-specific stuff if you need a team though.

I love parsec because it also does game streaming fuckin amazingly as well as the other stuff.

It’s stupid easy to get up and running too.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

If there is a little install icon in the URL bar that's a progressive web app (PWA) and all chromium browsers do that. I assume Safari and Firefox do as well.

PWAs have the ability to launch while offline and other stuff that was previously only possible with extensions. PWAs coming into existence was why Chromium app extensions went away (only ChromeOS still supports them).

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Since we’re all in the process of ditching chrome, what is your favorite free Remote Desktop solution? I’m a heavy Chrome Remote Desktop user and I’ll be ditching that as well

I've been using AnyDesk and it's fine. They get pissy if you do like 70 connections a month or more but when they complained to me about paying for a license I pointed out it was the same two machines which are on my own LAN and they gave me the bypass option or whatever to keep it free. TeamViewer on the other hand had a much lower threshold for asking for payment and would take no explanation about what I was using it for so I stopped using it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've been using this for a few years now:

https://www.dwservice.net/

Works pretty good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Rustdesk is good, though I don't think it works if you're on cgnat, maybe if you run your own relay it does?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Parsec as another option. If you don’t expect an iPhone or iPad client to be available.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The opposite of tech idiots, MS Dave has a very long chat with Raymond Chen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDicLHBvQQM

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Nthing Parsec if you want a solution that just works out of the box. Of all the remote desktops I use it's the one that handles the low reception of my room like a champ, instead of flat out disconnecting me like Moonlight or Steam Remote (which I'm sure would work as fine too if I bothered to tinker with their settings). Doesn't work for hosting on Linux though but you probably don't have that particular problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
As someone who needs to long distance help my mom out with a tech issue, parsec is sounding pretty nice.