Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Hot Diggity! posted:

I don't need more jerseys but on the other hand the Taco Bell and "Relax...it's just bikes" ones...

https://www.statebicycle.com/collections/jerseys-bibs/products/state-bicycle-co-x-ripndip-fu-kit

Edit: the purple and green Nermal ones are pretty cool too

wish Taco Bell was available in large

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Residency Evil posted:

Nah, I have a separate road bike. This would primarily be a bike for gravel (ie fire roads, stuff around Boulder) and for races. I'm planning on doing Unbound 200 in 2025, so I want something that can take me through that.

Are you sure? I'm looking at the R5-CX in a 56, Aspero-5 in a 54. Geometry Geeks seems to put them within a cm on pretty much everything. The standover/BB height seem to be the main differences.
Interesting, and cool site thanks I was unaware of it. I was looking at the 56 to the 56. The BB drop on the Aspero is really low compared to the R5CX. It's even lower than the R5 road.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

numberoneposter posted:

Interesting, and cool site thanks I was unaware of it. I was looking at the 56 to the 56. The BB drop on the Aspero is really low compared to the R5CX. It's even lower than the R5 road.

Yeah, it’s definitely lower. I found a 56 locally and put it on hold to ride this weekend. Going to check it out and see how it feels!

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Residency Evil posted:

Nah, I have a separate road bike. This would primarily be a bike for gravel (ie fire roads, stuff around Boulder) and for races. I'm planning on doing Unbound 200 in 2025, so I want something that can take me through that.

Are you sure? I'm looking at the R5-CX in a 56, Aspero-5 in a 54. Geometry Geeks seems to put them within a cm on pretty much everything. The standover/BB height seem to be the main differences.

If you have a road bike, then I think 1x is a nice option. I’ve certainly have enjoyed it and feels like it’s ok with how I ride it. I’ve more had issue with not having harder gears than easier when I’m with other folks. Sometimes I just spin heh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So uhh if I were getting a mechanical groupset for my straggler, would I be better off with 105 or grx? I do a fair bit of actual gravel riding so I'm not sure how 105 would cope and whether I would be losing the chain all the time from a lack of RD clutch, but otoh grx seems really stupid in terms of things like chain wheel bolt pattern etc

E: sram's offerings in the same sort of zone (11 speed mechanical) are totally incomprehensible to me

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Nov 22, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I like the grx hoods/levers over 105. I think the parts are pretty interchangeable though, at least for shifters/rd.

A clutch is nice in rough stuff

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Slavvy posted:

So uhh if I were getting a mechanical groupset for my straggler, would I be better off with 105 or grx? I do a fair bit of actual gravel riding so I'm not sure how 105 would cope and whether I would be losing the chain all the time from a lack of RD clutch, but otoh grx seems really stupid in terms of things like chain wheel bolt pattern etc

E: sram's offerings in the same sort of zone (11 speed mechanical) are totally incomprehensible to me

buy my used 105 hydro disc groupset coward

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Slavvy posted:

Probably depends a lot on whether you want to do 1x or 2x and the elevation profile in your region. If you’d like to go >= 34T cassette I’d do GRX for sure.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Slavvy posted:

I’d want to check how much more the lowest end SRAM AXS group is if starting from scratch.

But GRX is fine, it and 105 are nearly the same at this point outside of the clutch, you can mix and match whatever bits you prefer. I don’t think chainring bolt pattern should be a concern, do you have a library of 1x chainrings you want to swap in or something?

FWIW I’ve never run a gravel specific group on any gravel bike, and never had an issue except with front derailleurs clogging with mud or freezing on rare occasions.

I’d miss a clutch at the same point I’d miss not being on a hardtail mtb.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Slavvy posted:

I run grx shifter and rear mech 105 front mech and a SRAM 46/34 chainset for what it's worth I have never turned the clutch on.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Grx has a different chainline to 105, so you cant use a 105 front derailleur with a grx crankset

Shifters and everything at the back you can mix though

(there are a few hacky methods that sometimes work but for the sake of a 30 quid part I wouldn't bother)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I haven't dropped my chain on Ultegra gravel but you can definitely throw a grx rear derailleur into that mix

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There are like 6 versions of grx btw

400 series - 10 speed, pretty basic, similar to tiagra
610 - 11s,, kind of the 105 equivalent
810 - 11s, kind of like ultegra
815 - 11s di2
620 - 12s mechanical
820 - 12s mechanical

The new 620/820 use existing 12s mtb cassettes and chains and stuff. Finally that 10-45 makes sense.

Shimano is doing a prodeal flash sale on grx right now that's a little tempting as I want to upgrade/replace the sram rival 1 setup on my major jake but pretty sure i'm going with sram axs.

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 22, 2023

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I don't understand how SRAM has had 12 speed eTap for mountain biking but it seems like it's taking Shimano forever.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Also releasing new grx and not doing a di2 version when there are already all the 12s di2 parts to do it and all you really needed right away was a derailleur so that people with di2 gravel bikes can get a clutched rd/go 1x.

I heard a reasoning that shimano claims adding a di2 mtb drivetrain "wasn't worth it" because the existing stuff shifts so well. Except personally I find it kind of mediocre and the clutches always get stiff and notchy and make the shifting worse.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Rival AXS XPLR absolutely shifts better than the Deore thru XT stuff I've tried. But I have no experience with higher end Shimano stuff so yeah

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm curious if anyone's tried the ebike groupset with its "better under ebike drivetrain load" shifting to see if it actually shifts better in normal use.

Residency Evil posted:

I don't understand how SRAM has had 12 speed eTap for mountain biking but it seems like it's taking Shimano forever.

They've always taken things slowly, and I'm sure the beating they took over the glued crank failures doesn't help.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sphyre posted:

I thought of you but this is being bought for me as a gift

jamal posted:

There are like 6 versions of grx btw

400 series - 10 speed, pretty basic, similar to tiagra
610 - 11s,, kind of the 105 equivalent
810 - 11s, kind of like ultegra
815 - 11s di2
620 - 12s mechanical
820 - 12s mechanical

The new 620/820 use existing 12s mtb cassettes and chains and stuff. Finally that 10-45 makes sense.

Shimano is doing a prodeal flash sale on grx right now that's a little tempting as I want to upgrade/replace the sram rival 1 setup on my major jake but pretty sure i'm going with sram axs.

I ended up getting a 2x11 810 setup, it looks like the gearing will line up nicely with my big tyre diameter and extremely not-aero top speed

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Mama Mia zipp firecrests are 25% off at BTD...

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Mama Mia zipp firecrests are 25% off at BTD...

Are hookless rims as bad as the internet would lead you to believe?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Depends on the specific rim, tire, and pressure. With my hookless mtb wheels I don't even think about it. With the gravel wheels it crosses my mind at high speed, but I've had them a few years now with like 5-6 different sets of tires and they've all stayed on. I probably wouldn't specifically choose hookless road wheels but plenty of people ride them without issue.

When those gravel wheels were new I went and rode haleakala on them, with some 38mm vittoria terreno zeros that said "do not use on hookless rims." Made me a little nervous on the way down.

jamal fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 23, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

resident posted:

Are hookless rims as bad as the internet would lead you to believe?

I have done maybe 5000km on my giant SLR1 wheels this year with zero issues. Tyres mounted easy and have never been of concern so far.

You do need to be a bit careful in selecting compatible tyres (read the manufacturers website), but it includes all the decent road tyres pretty much.

Edit: the reason not to buy Zipp wheels is the hubs, which people frequently complain about dying inside a year or so.

wooger fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 23, 2023

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Hello again thread

I’m still looking for a first bike and it seems as though a bunch of manufacturers are running 30% sales

what’s the best mountain bike I can buy that’s newly under a grand?

E: in the US; I’m 5’ 4” with a 29” in seam - I think that means I mostly want small sized bicycles?

wolfs fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 23, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wolfs posted:

what’s the best mountain bike I can buy that’s newly under a grand?

What kind of terrain/ application do you need it for? Aka how much travel. If you only need front suspension, you should be able to get pretty good components on the rest of the bike.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

terrible country gravel roads and paths, plus potholes maybe - central Texas is low on actual mountains

front suspension only seems fine

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I thought of you but this is being bought for me as a gift

I ended up getting a 2x11 810 setup, it looks like the gearing will line up nicely with my big tyre diameter and extremely not-aero top speed

Be sure to ask for is to flat mount adapters too since that's gonna be an issue with the straggler. I'd check that the adapters (which there's like two in the world?) work with the frame and fork too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm sorting that yeah, but if worst comes to worst it looks like I can just use some Shimano MTB calipers

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wolfs posted:

terrible country gravel roads and paths, plus potholes maybe - central Texas is low on actual mountains

front suspension only seems fine

One of these would be fine

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/grand-canyon/grand-canyon/grand-canyon-5/3267.html

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/hybrid-bikes/touring-bikes/pathlite/pathlite-al/pathlite-6/3289.html

You have to be pretty sure on sizing for any direct online bike purchase.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'm sorting that yeah, but if worst comes to worst it looks like I can just use some Shimano MTB calipers

Yeah that should work. I think some even do shiguras or Shimano levers with magura calipers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

While I hope I can run the grx calipers for analness' sake, running MTB calipers would let me keep my 203/180 disc combo for maximum pointlessly huge stopping power

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I was looking around my favorite hobby websites at the deals this fine, black Friday, and another bike I wanted just for looks is on sale. Now... I'm not going to pull the trigger on this one. I'm all biked-up at the moment. But that thing sure is pretty.

I am looking at deals on SRAM Rival Long Cage derailleurs and PG-1130 11-42T cassettes, though....

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 24, 2023

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I asked this a couple of months ago but I thought that maybe someone has new information:

do we know about any new colours for the 2024 Surly lineup?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
any reason not to jump on the wahoo element bolt v2 for $230, versus the garmin edge 540 not going on sale anywhere and staying at $350? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095LK8J4K?tag=camelweb-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&language=en_US

(roam is also $320 and is the same thing with a bigger screen i guess)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 25, 2023

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Not sure exactly what you need, but perhaps consider a refurbished 530?

Dang there are new ones on black friday sale for $200...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

abraham linksys posted:

any reason not to jump on the wahoo element bolt v2 for $230, versus the garmin edge 540 not going on sale anywhere and staying at $350? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095LK8J4K?tag=camelweb-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&language=en_US

(roam is also $320 and is the same thing with a bigger screen i guess)

The 540 is on sale for $280 at BikeTiresDirect and always $262.50 through ExpertVoice.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've signed up for Chase the Sun in June next year. Always wanted to do that ride.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Sphyre posted:

Where are you selling and for how much?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Is this site legit for buying drivetrain parts/groups?

https://www.eurobikeparts.com/products.php?cat=Shimano

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i couldn't find the refurb/new garmin deals from places i actually trusted so i went ahead and pulled the trigger on the wahoo, will report back on if it's any good or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
This may sound like a silly question, but I'm curious: for those of you who cycle in street clothes (like when running errands or commuting), if you're on a bike without a chainring or chain guard of some kind, what are you doing to keep your right pant leg away from the chain? I usually either tight-roll that pant leg or stuff it into my sock, whichever works best for whatever I'm wearing, but I wonder how some of y'all deal with it.

Also, in the spirit of Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, and Cyber Monday, I've compiled a list of planned upgrades to the SBC All-Road that I want to make over the coming year.
  • SRAM Rival long cage derailleur
  • SRAM PG-1130 11-42 cassette
  • Spyre mechanical disc brake calipers (and pads)
  • Teal or turquoise bar tape

I knew going in that I'd be upgrading the components on this bike. The only mechanical issue I have right now is that one of the middle gears isn't super-stable; I have seen others have this issue with the stock cassette, so that'll probably be the first thing I change. The brakes are also not great. For the riding I do, they're just barely adequate, but that's it.