Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

I don't know if it's as much an aging curve in the sense of regression? Younger umps have spent their careers in the age of umpires being electronically graded and with the current strike zone
older eyeballs are less good at seeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
That's true but training and standards are also much different now as well as the resources available to watch video and improve

So I guess I would say it's not just a matter of fading vision it's also that upcoming umps are better at it than the previous ones even in their prime

e: I mean poo poo, Bucknor and West and Angel have been blowing calls for decades

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I could have sworn I saw research that demonstrated individual umpire accuracy degrading with age. We do have data for like 20ish years now

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Bucknor is the worst home plate ump in the business and I'm not even excluding Hernandez. Either one, if I put a game on and see him behind the plate I kill it and pick a different game to watch.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Popete posted:

Because top/bottom is subjective, what are you making accurate?

I think people underestimate how much a difference a completely automated strike zone would make to the game. I don't think it's necessary but I understand that's probably a minority opinion.

Really people would just not care as much if they weren't being shown how a pitch might be a millimeter off the plate every single pitch and thus get increasingly more mad every time an ump makes a bad call.

There's also an issue with centerfield camera positions not being standardized.

It also seems like players have a better idea of where the strike zone is. They'll spit on a ball that's a millimeter off the plate and then get pissed when it's called a strike.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe it takes seeing a million pitches but I never understood how you can be in the dugout and get mad when that millimeter off pitch gets called a strike

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

because from the dugout you can see high/low really well, arguably better than the umpire because you are basically eye level with the middle of the zone

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Also players and managers complain about correct calls all the time.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
don't see why they can't just have a limited challenge system for balls and strikes specifically, seems to work all right with extremely minimal delay in tennis, cricket, etc.

but then given the circus they've created with reviews elsewhere it'd probably end up taking 2 or 3 minutes a pop

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

that just brings us back to the if you can get the correct call in realtime why bother with challenges? just have an automated zone

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
somebody do something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

that just brings us back to the if you can get the correct call in realtime why bother with challenges? just have an automated zone
yeah challenges for balls and strikes are the worst possible implementation of the technology

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Intruder posted:

This is really the thing for me.

And tbh I think we're pretty close in that Statcast/Gameday processing is pretty quick and accurate. It's not even a stretch to assume that a reasonable system could be put in place in the next two or three seasons.

I mean, cricket has modernized the posts and wicket, tennis already has the ability to model every single volley, autoracing has realtime monitoring of every system in the car. It's not like this is an impossible problem. The "human element" is mostly bullshit, especially if you're making binary calls like balls/strikes or out/safe.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Yeah but robots don't talk funny like umpires do

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mycatscrimes posted:

finally someone with the courage to say it

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I’m struggling to find a clip that isn’t on instagram, but in that new “baseball united” Middle East league, my former teammate collided with Sir Didi Gregorius in the outfield (they were fine). That was a weird thing to see today.

What’s the deal with that league anyway? When I first heard of it I assumed it’s shady as hell but I actually don’t know anything about it

E: here’s a clip

https://x.com/JomboyMedia/status/1728461145265111460?s=20

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I’m struggling to find a clip that isn’t on instagram, but in that new “baseball united” Middle East league, my former teammate collided with Sir Didi Gregorius in the outfield (they were fine). That was a weird thing to see today.

What’s the deal with that league anyway? When I first heard of it I assumed it’s shady as hell but I actually don’t know anything about it

E: here’s a clip

https://x.com/JomboyMedia/status/1728461145265111460?s=20

I assumed it was going to end up being some kind of weird NFT thing but I guess they're actually playing baseball in real life which is pretty wild.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

R.D. Mangles posted:

finally someone with the courage to say it

I will never accept a roboump until they can make it authentically unintelligble

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

using advanced voice training AI software to make a robo-ump say HRRRRGHHH or YAAAAAAIIIIII

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Just have the computer feed the ump the ball/strike call and then he can focus on his hoos and hahs and hoot-doos

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

We already have a perfect template for the machines to follow: https://youtu.be/nQuh_ATItzk?si=oWW_kPviK3E74mwr

In particular, wait for foul and strike out.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Explosionface posted:

We already have a perfect template for the machines to follow: https://youtu.be/nQuh_ATItzk?si=oWW_kPviK3E74mwr

In particular, wait for foul and strike out.

reminds me of the greatest moment in baseball video game history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7SfiEc-uhM

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just have the computer feed the ump the ball/strike call and then he can focus on his hoos and hahs and hoot-doos

This seems overly complicated, it would be much simpler to just remove the umpires' eyes and replace them with cybernetic implants

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Do not give the Umps a chance to become Tiktok famous

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

R.D. Mangles posted:

reminds me of the greatest moment in baseball video game history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7SfiEc-uhM

always appreciated the umpire crew Yuk / Dum / Boo / Bum

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
:hellyeah:

https://twitter.com/KBO_ENG/status/1728676626391830916

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

can't stop thinking about luigi getting beaned and then hearing the game over music

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

blessed tweet

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

mycatscrimes posted:

The writers from Short Circuit are still alive and ready to give us great hilarious zingers from our Roboumps.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://twitter.com/jonheyman/status/1728938178344779879?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Detroit is BACK

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

2/$24 is perfectly fine for Maeda

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

You joke, but I'll take Maeda over rolling out Joey Wentz or Alex Faedo any day of the week.

There were rumors a week or so ago that Detroit was looking at Maeda to hopefully attract other Japanese talent, so I will be expecting Yamamoto any day now Mr. Harris :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I get why the Tigers may not want to pay one of the bigger FA starters, but right now their rotation is what, Skubal/Manning/Maeda/Mize if he's healthy? Those former top prospects have gotten hurt so much that I don't think you can rely on them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'd rather have Maeda for 2/24 than Taillon for 3/54. Looked a bit rusty coming off TJS but was still sporting an excellent K:BB ratio.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

FlamingLiberal posted:

I get why the Tigers may not want to pay one of the bigger FA starters, but right now their rotation is what, Skubal/Manning/Maeda/Mize if he's healthy? Those former top prospects have gotten hurt so much that I don't think you can rely on them.

Supposedly they are looking to sign multiple SP, so I don't think they are done with just Maeda (Yamamoto joke aside).

Reese Olson looked good last season, and I'm sure they're going to see if Sawyer Gipson-Long is for real or not as well, so I don't think the depth is super dire in the rotation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm looking at the Tigers' BR page and I didn't realize that they got Tyler Holton on a waiver claim at the beginning of ST and he put up 3 BWAR as a reliever

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1728941761404563876

terms

Actually pretty annoyed that the Twins wouldn't bring him back for that

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

$12 mil a year is a bargain considering the QO was at $20 million

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FlamingLiberal posted:

$12 mil a year is a bargain considering the QO was at $20 million

Kenta did not get extended a QO. I guess that may have partially been your point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'd like to see the Phillies to sign another starter and either go 6 man rotation or just as a replacement for purging Walker from the roster

Sonny Gray could be had for relatively cheap, I think

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 27, 2023