Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Seams posted:

Salt March 2023 edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
excellent decorum policing from the alleged wifebeater

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Maybe Shami could have bowled a bit better and put his hands on the trophy instead

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://x.com/LMcKirdy7/status/1728231978963763572?s=20

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

webmeister posted:

Maybe Shami could have bowled a bit better and put his hands on the trophy instead

To be honest it sounds like he maybe should be practicing keeping his hands *off* things that are ostensibly important to him

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Can you imagine which body parts when in the trophy once the cameras left..

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

There are worse ways to treat a trophy.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/sport/499198/new-zealand-rugby-investigating-after-ranfurly-shield-broken-photo-of-white-powder-circulating

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
wait til Bindia hears what players do with the Stanley Cup

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

therattle posted:

It’s ridiculous. The players have been in India for ages and come off the intensity of a WC and then have to play a T20 series. I hope the players on both sides are pissed off with the administrators.

literally the reason i think joe root opted out of the IPL. 6 months of the year spent in India is tough

Also, is there any way to watch BAN v NZ in the USA? Odd that both Willow and ESPN+ dont seem to have it.

Edit: Oh snap it's free to watch on YouTube. Fun.

MaoistBanker fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 28, 2023

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/icelandcricket/status/1729190852806037576

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

I mean....Iceland....but...hmmmm......

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I'd rather watch Iceland play a test against any first class side than watch a T20 game.

I am however enjoying some test cricket right now, Bangladesh doing ok so far.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Lmao

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Their Twitter account is fantastic

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

OOHH MAXI BOY HAS GONE AND DONE IT AGAIN. What a fabulous chase by Maxwell.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ulio posted:

OOHH MAXI BOY HAS GONE AND DONE IT AGAIN. What a fabulous chase by Maxwell.

Jesus, that final over.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I know, I know. Different games. Different skill sets etc.

But it makes me sad that Glenn Maxwell's has a test century in India, yet will most likely never play another Test Match for Australia.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
It is an indictment on Australian cricket that Maxi hasn't played more tests.

Either the selection/coaching personnel have been unable to accurately judge him, or Maxi himself hasn't done the things required to be selected, which is also an indictment of CA as it's their job to get the best out of their players and Maxwell has so much obvious talent.

For his test debut he was picked as a frontline spinner, while Lyon was left out of that XI. They had no idea about what they were doing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

garycoleisgod posted:

It is an indictment on Australian cricket that Maxi hasn't played more tests.

Either the selection/coaching personnel have been unable to accurately judge him, or Maxi himself hasn't done the things required to be selected, which is also an indictment of CA as it's their job to get the best out of their players and Maxwell has so much obvious talent.

For his test debut he was picked as a frontline spinner, while Lyon was left out of that XI. They had no idea about what they were doing.

That reminds me how Cameron White, (A fine white ball batsman, who can roll his arm over if needed), was picked for his test debut as the lone leg spinner for a Test series in India.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
If Maxwell had played more Tests and especially more Tests in Australia he'd be a cult hero along the lines of Doug Walters.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

That reminds me how Cameron White, (A fine white ball batsman, who can roll his arm over if needed), was picked for his test debut as the lone leg spinner for a Test series in India.

Steve Smith, arguably the best batter of the 21st century, was given a debut as a leg spinner because he was blonde and a bit tubby, thus qualifying him as the next Warnie

And I dunno, I feel like Maxwell has had a few chances at Test level and never quite delivered. Shame, because he’s clearly unbelievably talented.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Maxwell is the funniest cricketer. This dirty, grumpy looking dude who either gets out first ball playing the most ludicrous shot you've ever seen, or else hits a game-winning century at a strike rate of 250 while visibly melting on the pitch, and then comes off the ground and does an interview where he says "yeah I feel like garbage, glad I was able to contribute, alright seeya".

With Warner retiring soon, they should genuinely put him in as an opener. Just go out there mate and try to smash a century before the first drinks break, or else get out, it's fine, Labuschange can come out and block out balls for the rest of the day. You can bowl a few overs of spin later on and take some physically impossible catch while you're at it.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 29, 2023

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Guys with Maxwells profile that you just described are a dime a dozen in local cricket, most teams have atleast one.

The unique bit is making it work at the top level

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Maxwell is a feast or famine guy. He’s either going to get out in single figures or explode and hit a 100 off 50 balls. Once you set your expectations correctly he’s excellent. He’s not a Smith who will happily go 3 (75) until he gets his eye in.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Its easy to say Maxwell has been unfairly overlooked for test cricket, but his case is the same used to justify Jos Buttler playing 57 quite underwhelming tests for England. Being one of the best white ball players in the world is no guarantee of test success at all.

But still, would've liked to see him given a better go. Especially three or four years ago when the Aussie middle order was dosghit.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

cmndstab posted:

With Warner retiring soon, they should genuinely put him in as an opener. Just go out there mate and try to smash a century before the first drinks break, or else get out, it's fine, Labuschange can come out and block out balls for the rest of the day. You can bowl a few overs of spin later on and take some physically impossible catch while you're at it.

Maxwell is almost as old as Warner lol

And yeah maybe Maxi would've come good as a Test player, and I know he's immensely talented, but he never really showed up for the Tests he has played in. Yeah he scored a century in India, but aside from that innings he averaged 18 :-/

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
This NZ v Bangas test is good fun. Weird that I had to get the Three app for my TV though, who knew this existed?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Bangas come back here in a few weeks and we get to use a completely different app ftw

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

webmeister posted:

And I dunno, I feel like Maxwell has had a few chances at Test level and never quite delivered. Shame, because he’s clearly unbelievably talented.

He's never played a Test in Australia.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Noxin of Shame posted:

This NZ v Bangas test is good fun. Weird that I had to get the Three app for my TV though, who knew this existed?

Quite similar scorecards: pretty much every batsman getting a start but only one making a decent score, with no big partnerships.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Ya I don't know about him in test but that man was a monster in t20, had some of the craziest moments in IPL.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

webmeister posted:

Steve Smith, arguably the best batter of the 21st century, was given a debut as a leg spinner because he was blonde and a bit tubby, thus qualifying him as the next Warnie

tbf, no ordinary coach would look at that stance at the crease and think "this man is a batting genius".

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Would be good to get any sort of lead here.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

IIRC there were rumours Michael Clarke loving hated Glenn Maxwell's guts by the end of their time playing ODIs etc together.

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

That's a good sign he's a decent bloke.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Airstream Driver posted:

That's a good sign he's a decent bloke.

Agreed.

Probably also another reason he wasn't selected as much at the time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Glen was the one who put the team up to tricking Clarke into believing there was a crisp sauv blanc option over the beers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Nathan Lyon's signed for Lancashire for next summer in all formats