Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jerry & Marge Go Large: My parents saw this on the plane on the way to Thanksgiving and liked it so much they had us all watch it together (also they wanted to see it again with subtitles because the audio on the plane sucked).

It's a pretty lightweight feel-good movie all in all, but what I enjoyed about it was the meta-level reading, in that it's basically the "good universe" version of Breaking Bad. Retirement-age clever guy (played by Bryan Cranston lol) leaves his long-time job and embarks on a life of "crime" leveraging his not insignificant talents that he wants to exercise for personal/ego reasons. But in this case he's doing it with the explicit and earnest purpose of benefiting his small town and friends and family, rather than just himself. You know how Schitt's Creek is basically Arrested Development except that they learn how to be better people and it leaves you feeling good instead of wishing they would all die? It's like they specifically set out to do that but with Breaking Bad. I asked around and nobody in the fam has seen BrBa (it's on a couple of their to-watch lists) but I felt like I was being let in on some kind of extremely obvious SNL-tier joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Return of the Pink Panther: Lol I guess it stands to reason that people think France is communist when there is a portrait of Lenin in his apartment

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nacho Libre: Holy crap I had no idea this was by the Hesses and has more in common with Napoleon Dynamite stylistically than with all those goofy-character Will Ferrell/Adam Sandler type movies of the late 2000s.

It also doesn't age very well and it's not all THAT funny, but it's better than I guess I assumed it would be. My brother finds it highly quotable, though I can't remember any one-liners from it, and it didn't strike me as a "vibe" the way ND does so I don't know if I can see rewatching it. Glad I saw it though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: OK it isn't my first time obviously but my brother's wife and daughters hadn't seen it or any Indy film prior to him recently making them watch them Clockwork Orange style, and we did this one to fill the turkey trance evening. It's interesting seeing it from the perspective of someone who didn't grow up with the idea of "Indiana Jones" just being a super-cool concept always hovering around on the edges of consciousness, an archetype to aspire to.

Through modern, fresh eyes Indy just looks like a weird hypocritical psycho. And certainly he is, as I'm sure a ton of scholarship has concluded; his "archaeology" that amounts to colonialistic treasure-hunting and grave-robbing where he takes what he wants and throws the rest in a hole and sets it on fire just looks absolutely bizarre, especially to my nieces who have a thoroughly modern and global view of such things. "It belongs in a museum" yeah? Whose museum? Is private ownership like Coronado's his goal, is he just a mercenary for hire? What exactly is sane about not calling in a university-backed dig as soon as you find the catacomb under the X? Thinking about it the idea of Indy being the "good" archaeologist constantly at odds with the "evil" archaeologists feels as weird in retrospect as like, having the good rock band as the protagonists fighting the evil rock band, or the good tornado-chasing scientists facing off against the evil tornado-chasing scientists. Like what the gently caress.

At least it does a good job, maybe better than I'd remembered (as Raiders did too) of depicting the Nazis and Donovan/Elsa as an existential threat to civilization itself and its principles; not just cartoon baddies with funny accents, but morally twisted opportunists excusing and supporting the actions of people who are not inherently monsters but human beings choosing to do monstrous things. Positioning them as implicitly opposed to "everything the Grail stands for" is a bit of an elision but it makes you fill in the blanks yourself and doesn't really let you dismiss it without trying.

The comedy is all still great and the genre shifting between Raiders/Temple/Crusade is still a lot of fun from a cinemaphile standpoint (Crusade and its unexpected turn toward slapstick comedy after the throwback-ponderous-sullen-doom-adventure-with-flashes-of-mad-lols of Raiders and the problematic-snake-eyes-horror of Temple is quite a roller-coaster ride), but we couldn't turn on subtitles for some reason and we found that between Ford's baritone mumbling and Connery's brogue the new viewers couldn't understand more than like 20% of the dialogue. I guess this skewers my theory that movies and TV have grown denser in recent years such that subtitles are all but a requirement; apparently it was always this way and we just sort of expected to miss a whole lot of the movie's content on the first watch, and we never expected to have the luxury of being able to pause or roll back or rewatch on a whim. Maybe it's us that have changed.

I am reminded of why it seemed to strange to me that they did a fourth Indy movie and this one was not patently the series finale, because wouldn't he (and Jones Sr) be immortal now? That seemed like the obvious conclusion when I saw it as a kid and it seemed like a foregone conclusion that they simply couldn't make any more.

At least now they know where the memes come from

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Indiana Jones is a pulp adventure hero and not a documentary series. Call in a university dig? No time for that he’s got clues to chase and Nazis to punch.

Also the power of the grail ends at the seal in the temple. It’s why the Templar knight had to stay there and drink from the grail. So after Indy and his dad leave they lose that chance/prison of immortality.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

your family sounds both deaf and dumb

e: "what makes indy different from the graverobbing nazis?" is the basis of his character arc in the first movie and the answer the movie gives is that he has actual respect for the power of the artifacts he finds and is willing to accept that there are things greater than his own ego.

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 26, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Nacho Libre: Holy crap I had no idea this was by the Hesses and has more in common with Napoleon Dynamite stylistically than with all those goofy-character Will Ferrell/Adam Sandler type movies of the late 2000s.

It also doesn't age very well and it's not all THAT funny, but it's better than I guess I assumed it would be. My brother finds it highly quotable, though I can't remember any one-liners from it, and it didn't strike me as a "vibe" the way ND does so I don't know if I can see rewatching it. Glad I saw it though

"Get that corn out of my face" and "My life is good. Really good" come in handy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Your family sucks op, my condolences

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

checkplease posted:

Indiana Jones is a pulp adventure hero and not a documentary series. Call in a university dig? No time for that he’s got clues to chase and Nazis to punch.

behind the bastards did a really good episode on the genre of 'mens adventure' magazines and you can see their fingerprints all over lucas' films once you make the connection between him and them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I should give it a re-listen

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

NAPOLEON 2023: Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely the wrong choice to play him and its absolutely dragged down by how much he sucks rear end at it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Lawman 0 posted:

NAPOLEON 2023: Joaquin Phoenix was absolutely the wrong choice to play him and its absolutely dragged down by how much he sucks rear end at it.

Just saw it tonight and it's the vocal performance for me, it's Forest Gump levels of unusual voice for a character. I don't mean this in a lovely way but I seriously started to wonder if they were trying to portray Napoleon as on the spectrum, it's that bizarre.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Just saw it tonight and it's the vocal performance for me, it's Forest Gump levels of unusual voice for a character. I don't mean this in a lovely way but I seriously started to wonder if they were trying to portray Napoleon as on the spectrum, it's that bizarre.

I 100% believe that it was genuinely loving bizarre alongside all the Americanisms. Like everyone else in the movie is acting and speaking like you would expect and that Phoenix is there saying utterly bizarre 21st century poo poo that stands out like a sore thumb.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The point is definitely for Napoleon to stand out in a bad way.

It's also a movie that has a "Succulent Chinese Meal" reference.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 26, 2023

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Been on a 50s sci-fi kick lately

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Definitely not my first time viewing this one, it’s always been a favorite, but I hadn’t seen it in several years. It’s still great! It kills me that there isn’t a 4K release for it.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
This one was a first-time watch and it absolutely rules. I’d honestly say I liked it as much as the 1978 adaptation, but for entirely different reasons.

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) aka The Creeping Unknown
I know the original serial this movie is based on was massively influential on a bunch of stuff, including Doctor Who, but I found this particular adaptation extremely dull. Brian Donlevy feels completely miscast and the plot drags so bad despite how simple it all is. This was a real letdown aside from literally the last line of the movie; the monster inadvertently created by Quatermass’ rocket launch is taken care of, and he starts to walk off into the foggy distance. Someone asks what he’s going to do, and without even looking back Quatermass says “I’m going to start again”. THE END, roll credits. Great line, shame about the other 99% of the runtime.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Data Graham posted:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

i watched the first indiana jones for the first time maybe last year? two years ago? idk it was forgettable camp and i have no desire to watch any of the other movies, which i hear are progressively worse and worse anyway.

can understand why people like my dad might have liked it when he was in his 30s or whatever, but generally family friendly movies with high prestige from the 80s don't do it for me. goonies, ghostbusters, E.T., etc. back to the future and karate kid are cool, tho.

like michael mann and ridley scott, spielberg isn't really a director i'm overly fond of in general.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

live with fruit posted:

Omg you mean I didn’t hallucinate that? They put a 20 year old meme into the French Revolution??

And they didn’t even make it Chinese!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

i watched the first indiana jones for the first time maybe last year? two years ago? idk it was forgettable camp and i have no desire to watch any of the other movies, which i hear are progressively worse and worse anyway.

You heard wrong about Last Crusade.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Last Crusade is fuckin great, it leans into the comedy side and there are places where it's obvious they're trying to one-up the big climactic freakout effects of the earlier movies and it doesn't really work (i.e. the grail-aging), but it really does just hit on all cylinders all the way through. Still, if Raiders comes across as "forgettable camp" then Last Crusade probably isn't going to reverse that impression

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
The second movie definitely falls into the forgettable camp. Monkey brains and all that. But the first and third are amazing, and deserved the hype they get.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What kind of goony rear end goon is listing Last Ceusade as fhe worst Indy film. Even ignoring the revival films, Temple of Doom is right there!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Temple Of Doom is the best one.

Last Crusade is too breezy compared to the first two for me and borders on becoming Austin Powers with the slapstick (and nowhere near as funny).

Nightmare Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 26, 2023

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Crusade has the great father son dynamics and just a peak ending overall.

I don’t get how anyone calls these films forgettable camp though. The filmmaking alone is better than so many action films or copycats.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Temple Of Doom is the best one.

Last Crusade is too breezy compared to the first two for me and borders on becoming Austin Powers with the slapstick (and nowhere near as funny).

We found the guy who told ShoogaSlim the worst Indiana Jones movie

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I vividly remember the movie in which a guy gets his heart ripped out and then it catches fire when his body is dipped in molten lava.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

checkplease posted:

Crusade has the great father son dynamics and just a peak ending overall.

I don’t get how anyone calls these films forgettable camp though. The filmmaking alone is better than so many action films or copycats.

What I caught this time more than any previous viewings was Jones Sr's gradual warming-up to the adventuring, from his "Look what you did! ... I can't believe what you did!" shock and horror, gradually rising through moments like his ingenuity with the birds on the beach, to when he's in the tank exhorting Marcus to action as he's reached Indy's level of reveling in the fun of it all. The slow crescendo in his character arc throughout the movie is given very careful and methodical attention to detail and I was really impressed by what it added to the movie now that I was prepped to pay attention to it. (As a kid I probably never registered any of the slow mumbled boring dialogue of their conversation over drinks on the zeppelin, which establishes like 80% of the story of their relationship)

And just so many little bits of visual framing and brief sub-second shots that become iconic in the memory as to how well they convey the story they're telling. Indy aiming the spear through the spokes of the motorcycle. The passengers waving their tickets after he throws the Nazi out the window. The plane approaching through the cloud of birds. Just a few frames that go by in a blink but they stamp on your mind like a branding iron.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 26, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

live with fruit posted:

The point is definitely for Napoleon to stand out in a bad way.

I'm not going to see the film, explain!

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

mycot posted:

We found the guy who told ShoogaSlim the worst Indiana Jones movie

You still have Dial and Skull below that.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I'm not going to see the film, explain!

A guy gets arrested and mentions that he was in the middle of a "succulent breakfast."

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Data Graham posted:

What I caught this time more than any previous viewings was Jones Sr's gradual warming-up to the adventuring, from his "Look what you did! ... I can't believe what you did!" shock and horror, gradually rising through moments like his ingenuity with the birds on the beach, to when he's in the tank exhorting Marcus to action as he's reached Indy's level of reveling in the fun of it all. The slow crescendo in his character arc throughout the movie is given very careful and methodical attention to detail and I was really impressed by what it added to the movie now that I was prepped to pay attention to it. (As a kid I probably never registered any of the slow mumbled boring dialogue of their conversation over drinks on the zeppelin, which establishes like 80% of the story of their relationship)

And just so many little bits of visual framing and brief sub-second shots that become iconic in the memory as to how well they convey the story they're telling. Indy aiming the spear through the spokes of the motorcycle. The passengers waving their tickets after he throws the Nazi out the window. The plane approaching through the cloud of birds. Just a few frames that go by in a blink but they stamp on your mind like a branding iron.

Good stuff. On my next watch I’ll look out for that growth in character too. Got the 4ks recently so due for a rewatch.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XebF2cgmFmU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

ShoogaSlim posted:

can understand why people like my dad might have liked it when he was in his 30s or whatever, but generally family friendly movies with high prestige from the 80s don't do it for me. goonies, ghostbusters, E.T., etc. back to the future and karate kid are cool, tho.

like michael mann and ridley scott, spielberg isn't really a director i'm overly fond of in general.

heh, guess you won't be making my team when Ready Player One becomes real.............

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

live with fruit posted:

I vividly remember the movie in which a guy gets his heart ripped out and then it catches fire when his body is dipped in molten lava.

Temple of Doom is the worst Indiana Jones film, definitely the one whose sensibilities have aged the most poorly, and barely makes sense, but it has the highest number of memorable, visually iconic, and striking sequences/set pieces in any film in the series.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

shoeberto posted:

heh, guess you won't be making my team when Ready Player One becomes real.............

a price i'm willing to pay. i remember thinking that would be a neat movie to see in theaters, but then the level of dissatisfaction constantly growing as the runtime trudged on was palpable.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
MY COMPLETE REVIEW OF NAPOLEON (2023), DIRECTED BY RIDLEY SCOTT:

at one point, Napoleon almost verbatim says, "I'm built different."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The House on Telegraph Hill A woman pulls a Don Draper to escape a Polish concentration camp only to fall into the classic Married a murderer situation. Very three star movie, the house and setting of San Fransisco is beautiful especially in contrast to the deprivations of the ravaged Poland, her stealing her friends identity to escape is handled tastefully and with understanding as well. And the scene with her brakes cut flying down SF's streets works really well, can't think of a city where that would be a worse thing to happen. The last third suffers heavily from it being obvious what's going on but both Pro and Antagonist refusing to actually strike, just circling again and again. The ends is also a bit cheesy with the fakeout of the kid's death.

Neat film, not one I'd watch again.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse: Did they seriously end a 2+ hour movie with "To Be Continued"? I get that comic book movies are supposed to do a "yes and" at the end but when I sit down to a feature film I expect a complete narrative.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Gangringo posted:

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse: Did they seriously end a 2+ hour movie with "To Be Continued"? I get that comic book movies are supposed to do a "yes and" at the end but when I sit down to a feature film I expect a complete narrative.

super disappointing and a massive drop in structural and narrative quality from the first movie

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Belly: Nas is pretty dull , though DMX is just wild in this somewhat familiar former hood kids get in over their head in drug deals. Of course we come in on them already at a point of success with nice houses, women, and a kid. But their gospel of money and respect has them robbing before setting up a drug trade. Visually, there’s just so much style and colors to look at. The soundtrack blends so perfectly well also.

It all kind of builds to this end of society as we know it feeling with both Nas and DMX trying to find a way out of this life of crime and their past violence. Two paths out are presented to escape the cycle: embrace god or just leave it all (go to Africa). The finally speech by the minister isn’t delivered very well, but it’s words are strong nonetheless (if a bit conservative, but fits what we just watched).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Leave The World Behind: Sam Esmail's new Netflix movie though I saw it in a theater. It's Sam Esmail verve and style through and through, in spite of it being based on an existing book he seems to have made it own down the the E-Corp logos on laptops indicating that it might share the same universe as Mr Robot, which tracks with it's general cyber-apocalypse themes and some of the suggestions by the story. It toes the line between magical realism and actual realism (also much like Mr Robot) though in spite of a rather foreboding tone it's ultimately a story of hope. It struck me after watching that there wasn't any person-on-person violence depicted. One of the best movies I've seen in years, though I guess it helps than I'm an unabashed Sam Esmail fanboy, I loving love what he does with the camera.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 28, 2023