Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Same, plus if it's providing a good service I don't mind 'wasting' money by paying an extra couple bux a month or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

dog is currently open

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

NinjaCentral worth picking up as an Indexer? Open and has a BF lifetime deal.

I also have lifetime at Geek and after getting the extra 50% on Slug last year and this year I'm good on Slug for a couple years.

I also have Dog, Cat, and Su but not paying for VIP on them.

I have Frugal, Tweak, and Eweka as primary unlimited servers, so I'm good there but I also plan to pick up from cheap blocks to add since very little gets past those three.

Edit:
Got Althub lifetime indexer for $20.
6TB on Bulknews (Albavia backbone) for 36 Euro. Code: sun19
500GB on Viper for 7 Euro.
NinjaCentral seems down and they also apparently sell access to a Plex server so that's way deeper into sketchy than I'm going touch.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 23, 2023

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

YerDa Zabam posted:

dog is currently open

I used to have dog back in the day (paid for a lifetime membership that got converted to a not-lifetime membership). I have geek, slug, and su now, and I almost never feel like I have problems getting things. Anyone wanna talk me into spending $76 (by buying a t-shirt, because I'm not gonna buy crypto to send to dog nzb dot cr) for 3 years?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Uh, what's with the lifetime to non lifetime thing? Sounds lovely.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Bought 15 month eweka and lifetime of nzbgeek. Planning to grab ninjacentral as well, once registrations and the deal open.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've had dog for awhile but it stops working intermittently and it's not the fastest

I do have a lot of successful grabs from it, though, so I'm not sure how much that matters in an automated environment

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

YerDa Zabam posted:

It's really hard to run a perpetual service on "lifetime" subs, especially one that can't be advertised in the traditional sense. You need recurring revenue from a core group of customers, or else you need to expand the userbase, increasing bandwidth costs.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Qwijib0 posted:

It's really hard to run a perpetual service on "lifetime" subs, especially one that can't be advertised in the traditional sense. You need recurring revenue from a core group of customers, or else you need to expand the userbase, increasing bandwidth costs.

sure, totally, just knock it off with the "lifetime" poo poo
(that reads like I'm having a go at you, sorry, I'm not. I'm having a go at capitalism. Sometimes it really is a dick)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 24, 2023

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

YerDa Zabam posted:

I'm not gonna remember the timeline, but years ago I bought a lifetime subscription to Dog, and some years later they said "welp we can't keep that as lifetime anymore, you got 3 years." 3 years later I stopped using Dog.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Dog has a very slick website but the actual results don’t vary much at all from my other indexers. Its API is a lot slower for me so it usually falls to the bottom of the pile to the point I probably won’t renew.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I haven't bought any lifetime subs for anything because I'm always worried they will go back on their promise, and I can feel superior supporting the devs more :downs:

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah, I don't use Dog, Cat, or su anymore because I'm not going to play yearly for that. Althub seems like a great cheap lifetime pickup. And I had forgot I have NZBPlanet lifetime as well. Drunkenslug is great, so I'll reup it every Black Friday, and after Geek/Althub/NZBPlanet I don't feel I need any more.

Also NinjaCentral is rumored to just rip Geek and Althub?

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Any indexers known for learning materials and books?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

more falafel please posted:

I'm not gonna remember the timeline, but years ago I bought a lifetime subscription to Dog, and some years later they said "welp we can't keep that as lifetime anymore, you got 3 years." 3 years later I stopped using Dog.

You can still use Dog if you did this, you’re just limited to something like 100 API calls a day. Been doing it for 2-3 years now.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
How does the Frugal BF sale work if you already have an existing sub? Does it add 12 months onto the end of what you've already paid for, or does it "overwrite" it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Any indexers known for learning materials and books?

I don't think there's really any that specialize in stuff like that since releases are so sparse

There are internet websites that make reading about that stuff easy however.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Books seem to be more hosting on IPFS than Usenet? I think someone named Anna has a big Archive of links

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Quixzlizx posted:

How does the Frugal BF sale work if you already have an existing sub? Does it add 12 months onto the end of what you've already paid for, or does it "overwrite" it?

Saw the same asked in their reddit thread and they said that it will add onto the end of whatever you have currently, just not automatically, so you have to email them.

-edit-
It's in here somewhere
https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/com...A9%F0%9D%91%AD/

-edit 2-
What the gently caress is going on with that url, jesus
Not the odd font, but the %%s galore if you copy it. How strange

-edit 3-
That ninja place is open now I see.
Another handy use for all my leftover bitcoin change. Safer than buying more krocodile-fentanyl or whatever the dark net has nowadays

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 24, 2023

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I get annoyed every time I renew dog (only other indexer is lifetime on slug). Buying their stupid tshirt, but using a coupon code to not ship a T-shirt and being charged like $68 or whatever for a $50 3y subscription because of fees is lame. But I guess it’s only $20-somethjng a year. I’ll probably let it lapse next time and just roll with their free tier and lifetime slug.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

Saw the same asked in their reddit thread and they said that it will add onto the end of whatever you have currently, just not automatically, so you have to email them.

-edit-
It's in here somewhere
https://www.reddit.com/r/usenet/com...A9%F0%9D%91%AD/

-edit 2-
What the gently caress is going on with that url, jesus
Not the odd font, but the %%s galore if you copy it. How strange

-edit 3-
That ninja place is open now I see.
Another handy use for all my leftover bitcoin change. Safer than buying more krocodile-fentanyl or whatever the dark net has nowadays

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

I picked up the 15$ 6tb block, lifetime for planet and althub and other than that my ninja deal is still cheaper than the new one.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

what would be the best block server to pair with Newsdemon for maximum availability?

looking to take advantage of a Black Friday deal...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Reminder that Frugal comes with a free 500GB block from BlockNews. It applies every time you re-up, I'm up to 2GB of which I've used about 800MB.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

tonic posted:

what would be the best block server to pair with Newsdemon for maximum availability?

looking to take advantage of a Black Friday deal...

I haven't seen a lot of deals for block accounts but you will need either an Omicron (Blocknews) or Abavia (Bulknews) or Usenet Farm server.

I have Blocknews and Usenet Farm. Looks like usenet farm has a deal for 50% off 2 blocks and Bulknews has 6tb for 36 euros. Don't see a deal from Blocknews.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Burden posted:

Bulknews has 6tb for 36 euros

If you use bf20 it's like $16 Euro

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

gariig posted:

If you use bf20 it's like $16 Euro

€15 - thank you!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

I don't think there's really any that specialize in stuff like that since releases are so sparse

There are internet websites that make reading about that stuff easy however.

Almost all the big sites get fully ripped, but there does seem to have been a drop off on Usenet posting for whatever reason. Definitely an absolute ton of material out there though and probably a load more I don’t see as I just have non-Usenet sites that include it, rather than specialize in it.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Burden posted:

I haven't seen a lot of deals for block accounts but you will need either an Omicron (Blocknews) or Abavia (Bulknews) or Usenet Farm server.

I have Blocknews and Usenet Farm. Looks like usenet farm has a deal for 50% off 2 blocks and Bulknews has 6tb for 36 euros. Don't see a deal from Blocknews.

thanks I added the cheap bulknews blocks

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Finally got my sonarr/radarr-setup with usenet (eweka + nzbgeek and ninjacentral). This setup is sick! With torrents it would hardly find any older episodes, while with the new setup it found pretty much all of them. And the speed is obviously much faster as well

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A rookie question about usenet and infosec:

I have a linux VM running a SABnzbd container. No VPN at the moment.
  • Is it "safe" to pay well-known providers and indexers, from a personal Paypal account?
  • Are there any reasonable precautions to take to harden my SABnzbd config? I'm currently running default settings. I have no need to access it from outside my home.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I'm no expert but I've been paying for newsgroups and index access for... 15 or so years now? I have used PayPal and straight credit card if PayPal isn't available and I've never had any issues.

If your sab isn't accessible from the internet at large (and it shouldn't be) I don't think you have to do anything special

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

1. It should be fine? I don’t think anyone cares but most have crypto options if you’re that sort of person. There is also stuff like Privacy.com burner cards if you’d prefer.

2. Also, should be fine but keep your OS patched and so on. I prefer containers for this reason but to each their own.

Also you don’t really “need” a VPN for Usenet for reasons others can explain much better than myself, but it doesn’t hurt except for speed.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Just make sure you are using SSL/TLS for your Usenet servers and you're fine. Personally I think using a VPN for this is overkill but that's just me.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Everyone posted:

Infosec advice...

Ok I'll continue down this path, thank you. Also, it's a great feeling to max out my speeds with usenet compared to what I was getting through p2p.

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
lol I should have made sure my indexers still existed before buying service again

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

geek is going to offer some xmas deals again in the next day or two, same as the black friday i think

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Jel Shaker posted:

geek is going to offer some xmas deals again in the next day or two, same as the black friday i think

Get on geek if you're not already, folks. I use drunkenslug and .su as backups, but I basically never miss anything on geek.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm finally upgrading my media server after a decade. I need to set up SABnzb/Radarr/Sonarr/Plex media server up all over again. Is there an easy way to move the configs to my new PC without re-figuring out how to do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

System > Backup inside the various *arrs