Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
sounds like pica:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326751

Pica refers to when a person craves or eats nonfood items, such as paint chips or sand. Pica is more common in children and pregnant women.

Experts believe that some groups have a higher risk of developing pica, including:

autistic people
those with other developmental conditions

Some people with pica have nutrient deficits. For example, some people with pica may have low iron, hematocrit, or hemoglobin. Some experts believe that for these people, pica is the body’s way of replacing these missing nutrients.

Taima has issued a correction as of 04:27 on Nov 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Taima posted:

sounds like pica:

Pica refers to when a person craves or eats nonfood items, such as paint chips or sand. Pica is more common in children and pregnant women.

Experts believe that some groups have a higher risk of developing pica, including:

autistic people

Some people with pica have nutrient deficits. For example, some people with pica may have low iron, hematocrit, or hemoglobin. Some experts believe that for these people, pica is the body’s way of replacing these missing nutrients.
no it loving doesn't lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
pica is from an immense deficiency iron like to the point you stop producing hemoglobin, which makes your blood stop transporting oxygen
you see it in famines, it means you are very near death
a kid eating sand is just being dumb kid

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Taima posted:

sounds like pica:

autistic people

you dumb loving bitch

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

My kid has a runny nose. I'm assuming he's patient zero for Covid 23

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I mean he's right that it sounds like pica based on the incredibly limited set of data points of "child" and "eating sand" but yeah my god, that's quite a leap

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
"Hello 911 I think my baby is having a stroke, I asked for their full name and address and they just said 'googoo gaga' please send help immediately"

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Parenting is hard. I never know what things to worry about and what things to not worry about and whenever I ask the internet it tells me to PANIC NOW.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

FirstnameLastname posted:

pica is from an immense deficiency iron like to the point you stop producing hemoglobin, which makes your blood stop transporting oxygen
you see it in famines, it means you are very near death
a kid eating sand is just being dumb kid

This is just irresponsible and not what pica is, I don't know what to say. But I respect the fervor in which you are spouting nonsense, that is a skill.

This is like saying that bleeding is "when your artery is severed and you die" like you are taking the most ludicrously extreme presentation of a multi faceted, complicated scenario and saying that it can ONLY be that scenario. I don't even know where to begin, so I won't.

Pica presents through several mechanisms including developmental disorders, and the idea that someone who has pica is "very near death" is the single dumbest thing I've heard on these forums in years.

Keepin' it real normal in here guys... I just said it sounds like it because the parent was very clear that it was a huge amount of sand being eaten :shrug:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Taima has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Nov 23, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Pica chew

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Prepare for trouble!

...oh.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My mouth, that's right

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Elissimpark posted:

Prepare for trouble!

...and make it double!

I have twins send help, coffee, alcohol

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As exhausting as traveling with babies is, I'm thankful we did it. Because if we didn't have babies we would have to sit at the formal table and those elders sat down at 4:00pm and did not eat until 7:00pm which was just madness, hubris, and hostage taking.

Thanksgiving had a eulogy ceremony. My infant daughter was a fantastic prop baby, really enhanced gramma's speech compared to her peers. I had to walk my toddler son out of the show tho, he saw the candles being lit and started singing "Happy Birthday~". It's was such a a good bit, but baby this is serious time, we are all trying to be sad about dead great aunties.

When you arrive at a family house just liberate the basement as the Baby Autonomous Zone. Make a plates and bring them down saying "oh the babies can't wait". No one can tell you no. You baby is your sword and shield in Thanksgiving Familial Combat.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Using your small kids as an excuse to avoid the extended family kicks rear end. I've spent so many hours with the oldest in bedrooms, him playing with something random and me posting or borrowing a mandolin. In retrospect, it's basically autism time out for both of us.

In related news, we've found out that sorting beads by colour is a pretty good activity for both of us. Either with or without explaining how chemistry works.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My one year old was an absolute savage about defending her boundaries against my mom and the cousins on Thanksgiving. Loud NO's and backhanded fists for unwanted kisses or grabs.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, no reason to let mom ruin two generations of childhoods

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Chad Sexington posted:

My one year old was an absolute savage about defending her boundaries against my mom and the cousins on Thanksgiving. Loud NO's and backhanded fists for unwanted kisses or grabs.

Lol my daughter was the same, except she would give kisses to certain family members so some got really butt hurt

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Armacham posted:

Lol my daughter was the same, except she would give kisses to certain family members so some got really butt hurt

Bonus points for telling the relevant family members that they just need to be more likeable.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Armacham posted:

Yeah same.

I tried to explain you have to treat her like a cat. Let her approach you, increase level of contact only gradually as she gets comfortable with you.

Some people listened and some didn't.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Me: Here is food/binky/toy. Waggle it, give it to her, she plays with it. Boom you are now friends. Ezpz

Elder: Oh I don't need that. *Grabs baby*

Baby: *pushes away with full strength and piercing wail*

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

To be fair, being older and especially having a beard is considered Not Acceptable by babies also.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I sat down with baby and Grandma asked to hold her and within moments of not holding baby I fell asleep on Thanksgiving Day.
And thus my transition into my father was complete

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh yeah there's something deep and primal that hits your brain the first time you hand the baby to someone you trust (that isn't your partner who is also bone tired) Did the same thing w mine when she was a wee babe.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

HootTheOwl posted:

And thus my transition into my father was complete

It comes for us all.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I had my wife's family over today and fell asleep on the mattress in the living room. Having a baby is hard work. Also the morning started at 5.30 for some reason.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

It comes for us all.

I live in an intergenerational household, so no one is ever bone tired.

It's quite nice.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BonHair posted:

I had my wife's family over today and fell asleep on the mattress in the living room. Having a baby is hard work. Also the morning started at 5.30 for some reason.

There we go

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Love to check the nanny cam and see the little guy literally bouncing off the sides of the crib like a pinball machine at 4:45 am

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

BonHair posted:

To be fair, being older and especially having a beard is considered Not Acceptable by babies also.

I dunno babies love my beard and can't stop lookin at me.

Favorite uncle status secured for at least three under three currently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
26mo is finally in a big boy bed tonight. He was very excited about it :kimchi:

Been spying on him and delighted to find he did not immediately get out and play with his toys / run around the room / throw books everywhere the moment we shut the door. He stayed in the bed and fell asleep.

Tomorrow morning though. I'm worried what I'll find