Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Windows 10 should have a GeForce 1050 driver that automatically installs so I kind of doubt that's the issue, but it wouldn't hurt to get the newest one. I know Nvidia mobile graphics used to have a mode where they could use the IGP for less intensive things, so maybe that's what's happening?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eletriarnation posted:

Windows 10 should have a GeForce 1050 driver that automatically installs so I kind of doubt that's the issue, but it wouldn't hurt to get the newest one.

Mobile card, I wouldn't trust the built in Windows driver.

I think there's a VLC setting too where you can force which to use, but not sure.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

CFox posted:

You might actually want to think about a gaming laptop. They’re pretty good now as long as you’re not wanting to go too high and with the gpu. Might snag you some good father/daughter time chilling on the couch together.

Thanks for the suggestion! We will sometimes sit on the couch and chill... I have an old macbook that I use to connect to my desktop via "Remote Desktop". Works great for development... Heck I can even watch videos and stuff. the only thing I haven't tried and don't think it would work very well would be intensive 3D gaming, but I don't do enough of that to matter too much. I do wonder if MS Flight Sim would work well over mstsc... latency wouldn't be too much of a concern there.

Again, thanks so much for all the help and ideas, laptop thread!

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
tried to disable the integrapted graphics entirely via device manager. results: chrome is horrendously laggy. yes i have hardware acceleration in chrome and in windows also. well, i will turn that back on and see if installing the nvidia drivers did anything.

e: do you guys think only having 8GB of RAM would have anything to do with it?
e2: well according to task manager, its now splitting the load equally between the 1050 and integrated graphics. fair enough.

problem solved forever, maybe? i'm happy to leave it like that for now

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 24, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Man...I've been waiting for 14" Razers to adopt a 16:10 aspect ratio. This is looking really good, but my current laptop is less than 2 years old. And I'm not exactly sure I need this much horsepower. >_>

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/razer-...p?skuId=6549075

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

AlternateNu posted:

Man...I've been waiting for 14" Razers to adopt a 16:10 aspect ratio. This is looking really good, but my current laptop is less than 2 years old. And I'm not exactly sure I need this much horsepower. >_>

Think of the delicious undervolt/downclock you could put on the 4070 and still have soooo much GPU power on a laptop though

MmmMmmm

and one must wonder what you could sell your current laptop for to partially subsidize that wonderful new laptop that you've specifically been waiting for

Worf fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 25, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Per watt, the 4070 is within a stones throw of the 4060, it just has a higher tdp. So a 4060 is almost exactly an under clocked 4070.

Jinnigan posted:

tried to disable the integrapted graphics entirely via device manager. results: chrome is horrendously laggy. yes i have hardware acceleration in chrome and in windows also. well, i will turn that back on and see if installing the nvidia drivers did anything.

e: do you guys think only having 8GB of RAM would have anything to do with it?
e2: well according to task manager, its now splitting the load equally between the 1050 and integrated graphics. fair enough.

problem solved forever, maybe? i'm happy to leave it like that for now

Don't disable the igpu. It should look split, the dgpu will run through the igpu in this case. Is video working better?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I would do the same thing to the 4060 though

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I pulled the trigger on this one today: ASUS TUF Gaming A16, Ryzen 7735HS, 16GB DDR5, and discrete Radeon 8GB RX7600S. Only comes with a 512GB SSD, but apparently has 2 m2 slots so I ordered a 2TB SN770 at the same time and it looks like access to the slot is way less painful than on a lot of laptops. I figure at $749.99 that's a pretty good deal, especially with a 16:10 screen.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-t...p?skuId=6535499

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 25, 2023

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

As part of my home office setup, my job has given me a Thinkpad and a dock for it, the idea being that the laptop connects to the dock through a USB C cable and gets power/network/monitors/peripherals/etc. If I wanted to get a personal laptop that could take advantage of this setup, is there a specific feature that I need to look for or would it just need a USB C port (and ideally power over USB C)?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Typically you want at least a 3.1 USB-C with power delivery (PD). However, that's very common on recent laptops.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Those two are all you need. At my office I've connected Dell laptops to ThinkPad docks, and at home my Lenovo Chromebook to my Dell dock. They all work.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
The description doesn't say if the dock is using DisplayLink (similar to a USB graphics card) or DisplayPort+MST over Type-C, so if it's the second your laptop will need to support that (or Thunderbolt, which includes DP mode). Most good current laptops with at least one Type-C port do have DP output but it's worth paying attention to.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 25, 2023

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I'm considering switching from a desktop to a laptop for a variety of reasons. I mostly use my machine for gaming but most of my games are 5+ years old and I play at 1920*1080; with a small handful of exceptions, the most demanding stuff I play would probably be FF14 and strategy games like Stellaris or Civ 6.

I've had my eye on the Lenovo Legion series with the 4060 RTX that comes up often in this thread, and it seems like a great fit, but would it be overkill for my needs? Are there any cheaper models that would be worth the savings?

In case it matters, I'm planning to dock it at my desk most of the time, so things like weight, battery life, etc are not major concerns for me.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
Any info on how long Best Buy will offer current sale prices? Would like 30 day return to start closer to when someone arrives next month.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Yvershek posted:

Any info on how long Best Buy will offer current sale prices? Would like 30 day return to start closer to when someone arrives next month.

Anything purchased after 10/27 can be returned until 1/13 at BB under the holiday return window

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Sales will still happen but slow down a little in December but January/February is an awful time.

I'd say pull the trigger if you see something that fits your ask.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
So my sister in law got a stellar deal back in 2018 on a laptop with a 1070 in it (like $200ish).

What price point should I be looking at that would be the same mid tier performance. I’m a desktop supremacist, so I have no idea what’s a good value or what pitfalls to be aware of (I’ve skimmed the OP but it said last updated in 2020) — I know there have been model number shenanigans in the past.

Appreciate any input here, I know $200 for a laptop that can also be used for gaming doesn’t exist now but I’m not sure where that middle tier performance sweet spot is now for laptops.

E: I’d have to imagine that the 4060 would crush anything running on a 1080p screen, mid-tier may have been a poor describer. Let’s say something that will run current gen AAA games at 1080p/60fps.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Nov 26, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

tehinternet posted:

E: I’d have to imagine that the 4060 would crush anything running on a 1080p screen, mid-tier may have been a poor describer. Let’s say something that will run current gen AAA games at 1080p/60fps.

Yeah the 4060 will handle modern games (unless they're completely unoptimized garbage) fine at 1080p with high settings. You may not be able to go crazy with ray tracing effects, but you'd also have access to DLSS3 and all its fancy performance improving tricks if needed.

To note, manufacturers are allowed to set the power limits of these gpus to fit within the design constraints of their machines. The Lenovo Legions and Asus Strix are known quantities here; they tend to have robust thermals and are happy to feed the GPU as much power as they can reasonably use. I personally think MSI are fine too, but they're probably not the best value generally. Usually machines not specifically marketed to gamers (like a non-Alienware Dell or non-Omen HP) are more likely to have lower power limits on a GPU. It can be confusing to consumers as you may find two different laptops with the same CPU and the same 4060, yet they perform wildly differently.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A 4060 is probably the best spot, though a 4070 is a marginal increase for a marginal price increase to that can be a good bet. A 4060 mobile is reasonably equivalent to a 3060 desktop.

This is a good idea of a cost effective laptop
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/17108356 (available tomorrow)

This is a step up in build quality, OLED screen with more pixels to push though.
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/17098039

There may be another legion deal for $900 or so in the next few weeks too, that's probably the best value for money.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Or this Asus TUF for 970 with a 4070, that's a good deal
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6535503.p?skuId=6535503

The TUF isn't quite as nice as the ROG or legion line, but they're solid.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Just a piece of advice about the Slim 5 AMD - pony up for the 32GB RAM upgrade as it's hard-soldered and non-upgradable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Just a piece of advice about the Slim 5 AMD - pony up for the 32GB RAM upgrade as it's hard-soldered and non-upgradable.

Yeah good advice. The Slim 7 is 1 soldered 1 slot.

https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Legion/Legion_S7_16ARHA7

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I just bought a Razer 14 (dumbly 8 days before black friday so i missed out on the deal. i could return and reorder on amazon but eh).
Its a wonderful device really. Was looking for something that felt as quality as my old Surfacebook and could hadn't games when travelling. Price is the only knock against it so far. Its a really quality feeling device. can't recommend enough!

(caveat, haven't needed to call support and scuttlebutt is razor support isn't the best).

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

tehinternet posted:

So my sister in law got a stellar deal back in 2018 on a laptop with a 1070 in it (like $200ish).

What price point should I be looking at that would be the same mid tier performance. I’m a desktop supremacist, so I have no idea what’s a good value or what pitfalls to be aware of (I’ve skimmed the OP but it said last updated in 2020) — I know there have been model number shenanigans in the past.

Appreciate any input here, I know $200 for a laptop that can also be used for gaming doesn’t exist now but I’m not sure where that middle tier performance sweet spot is now for laptops.

Assuming you're near a Bestbuy, this is close to the laptop I was considering as the other option when I landed on the ASUS mentioned above instead. Looks like the sale price is still in effect, but this one only has 8GB of DDR4 while the one that was on sale during Black Friday had 16GB of RAM. The ASUS I got was $50 cheaper, is from a better-known manufacturer, and had 16GB of DDR5. The build quality on the ASUS also looked better than the Gigabyte, but that was just judging from photos.

Still, this one might be worth considering, especially if you don't mind upgrading the RAM and small SSD: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...p?skuId=6537013

Edit: For reference, this is the Gigabyte laptop that was $799 during Black Friday that was the one I was referring to - it's a more competent machine than the one linked above, but pretty similar: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...p?skuId=6554836

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 26, 2023

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Staggy posted:

As part of my home office setup, my job has given me a Thinkpad and a dock for it, the idea being that the laptop connects to the dock through a USB C cable and gets power/network/monitors/peripherals/etc. If I wanted to get a personal laptop that could take advantage of this setup, is there a specific feature that I need to look for or would it just need a USB C port (and ideally power over USB C)?

I got a new thinkpad and new dock (same as the old dock) at work recently and they told me the old one should work on anything with that port. Said they'd just throw it away when I tried to give it back.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Lockback posted:

A 4060 is probably the best spot, though a 4070 is a marginal increase for a marginal price increase to that can be a good bet. A 4060 mobile is reasonably equivalent to a 3060 desktop.

This is a good idea of a cost effective laptop
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/17108356 (available tomorrow)

This is a step up in build quality, OLED screen with more pixels to push though.
https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/t/17098039

There may be another legion deal for $900 or so in the next few weeks too, that's probably the best value for money.

They had a good enough deal on the Legion Pro 4070s not too long ago that it was probably worth the updgrade, but I can't even find those specific models on their website anymore. Not that their website is great when it comes on being able to find what you're looking for.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Really appreciate the input everybody, thank you!

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Not going to lie but I envy American laptop prices. Over here using the Legion as an example even with sales it was a Ł400-600 jump to go from a 4060 to 4070, totally not worth it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Are there any decent sort of business-class laptops that have at least an OK screen for less than a grand? Most seem to have terrible screens, like can't even mostly cover sRGB bad.

My wife needs basically A) Just OK GPU performance, like on the better end integrated is probably fine. B) Works well with a USB-C docking station without any bullshit C) If it has some kind of GPU and switching, needs to work right in linux D) A not horrible screen.

Trying to race through all the holiday sale results trying to find something is driving me crazy (there's always some gotcha) but I'd really like to get her one. At least maybe I'll order a USB-C docking station since they seem pretty universal and there's a few on sale.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rescue Toaster posted:

Are there any decent sort of business-class laptops that have at least an OK screen for less than a grand? Most seem to have terrible screens, like can't even mostly cover sRGB bad.

My wife needs basically A) Just OK GPU performance, like on the better end integrated is probably fine. B) Works well with a USB-C docking station without any bullshit C) If it has some kind of GPU and switching, needs to work right in linux D) A not horrible screen.

Trying to race through all the holiday sale results trying to find something is driving me crazy (there's always some gotcha) but I'd really like to get her one. At least maybe I'll order a USB-C docking station since they seem pretty universal and there's a few on sale.

ideally a T14 or P14 would be perfect and those were available for under $1000 a month ago.

What kind of GPU performance do you need? What's the use case?

Maybe this samsung?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BT74FLP1?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=178fdc088d4711eeb84e9a140b1569d60INT&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

This rog zeph is a gaming laptop but it meets your specs and is very solidly built and looks kinda like an old-school grey macbook.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2044263235...a1b1e43ba390INT

Cheaper end this Envy is a good deal
https://slickdeals.net/f/17111980-hp-envy-x360-15-6-fhd-oled-touch-ryzen-5-7530u-16gb-ram-256gb-ssd-w-hp-tilt-pen-617-49

Or this Asus Creator with an OLED
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-1...ID=0&mpid=10451

You'd need to look into Linux support for any of these though.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 27, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Standard browsing/document/etc... with some document layout/graphical work. Hence not a godawful screen. At the same time, if she needs to actually tone a photo and verify color accuracy she can hook up to the docking station and use the good monitor.

Occasional gaming think like indie games, diablo, RPGs, that kind of stuff. Nothing that integrated shouldn't be able to handle, but a lower-end GPU wouldn't be like, a negative or anything. I just worry about headaches doing the video switching in linux. (definitely linux, not windows)

I will check out those ideas, thanks.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rescue Toaster posted:

Might be do-able for close to K, Surface pro i5? Tablet/laptop convertible but the screen is great. Integrated graphics. Costco often has keyboard/tablet combos at a decent $$.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I would be surprised if a Surface Pro was Linux compatible, but maybe!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ugh, totally missed that. I doubt it too... I can't imagine not easily at least.
E:
https://github.com/linux-surface/linux-surface

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 27, 2023

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Thoughts on this laptop for basic computing, no gaming? Seems decent aside from the smallish SSD which wouldn't be an issue for my needs.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6554442.p?skuId=6554442

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Thoughts on this laptop for basic computing, no gaming? Seems decent aside from the smallish SSD which wouldn't be an issue for my needs.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6554442.p?skuId=6554442

Yeah, it'll be plasticy and probably a kinda washed-out looking screen but that's a super solid machine at that price. Great find.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Lockback posted:

Yeah, it'll be plasticy and probably a kinda washed-out looking screen but that's a super solid machine at that price. Great find.

Thanks, and yea that's nothing I wouldn't expect.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Hey, my moms 4 year old computer crapped out, keyboard not working and no replacement parts available (dell inspiron from 2019) so costco extended warranty e-mailed her today that they are refunding her on it. The refund is for 650, so looking to replace with something around that cost.

She is again wanting to use costco for the purchase.

https://www.costco.com/.product.1052124.html Is what I found that could fit under her budget that has a medium to large screen (she old), and is a touchscreen.

The other I saw was

https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-15.6%22-touchscreen-laptop---amd-ryzen-7-7730u-8-core--amd-radeon.product.4000221339.html

Looks like a nicer version of what she already has. Would have to pay extra for the extended warranty vs getting it included in the refund amount.

I know these are both low tier laptops, but for a low operation, most intensive is excel for work, is the lower cost one gonna be good enough for her to work on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bleh, neither.

That HP has that weird 12GB of RAM config. The other is a Dell which your other one died after 3 years.

All in all that Inspiron is probably better.

I see some better costco deals but looks like they are OOS and I assume she wants to pull the trigger ASAP.

So I guess I'd go with the Inspiron, but really only because she's buying the extended warranty anyway and it's Costco.