Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SpicePro posted:

Booze is relatively easy to make compared to looking after a tobacco plant, so banning it isn't gonna work out well.
Tying the two chats together, Benzedrine is somewhere inbetween.

e: 330 years ago the frigate HMS Mordaunt foundered off of the coast of Cuba.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, every time someone posted a Venn diagram, that dude would pop up going: "actually, that's not a Venn diagram."

Just let us have our fun, Jesus.

I don't ever recall that happening, I thought Private Speech's avatar was just one of the stupid ones people got in UKMT for a while, like the s club 7 ones.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Tying the two chats together, Benzedrine is somewhere inbetween.

e: 330 years ago the frigate HMS Mordaunt foundered off of the coast of Cuba.

Talking of Mordaunts...

https://northeastbylines.co.uk/from-bulwark-to-albion-penny-mordaunts-naval-service/

quote:

In her previous recent attempt to become PM, Penny Mordaunt talked a good deal about her past naval service as a qualification for high office. As this article records, Mordaunt allowed claims to be made about her that she had taken command of a naval vessel, actively served (while a minister) on another, and “helped to train Ukrainian forces during her time with the Royal Navy Reserve”. None of these claims were true.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
genuinely thought for a moment the photo that the beeb has up on their 'mr yaxley-lennon, also known as mr robinson, arrested' article was ai-generated

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stevie "two jackets" yaxley lennon

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apraxin posted:

genuinely thought for a moment the photo that the beeb has up on their 'mr yaxley-lennon, also known as mr robinson, arrested' article was ai-generated

yaxley is by no means a product of intelligence, artificial or otherwise

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

“I’m just off to the East 17 Christmas concert! Oh, arresting me for saying Christmas are we?!”

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

DesperateDan posted:

people do grow their own tobacco here but it sucks comparatively and is a hassle to process and dry properly

also sorry to inform you but wilkos is dead, all that cheap brewing kit is now on ebay for twice the cost

Wilko is very much alive online still (which was a bit of a surprise to me).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

stevie "two jackets" yaxley lennon

Stevie Two Jaxley-Lennon

Also back on cereals whatever happened to the Honey Monster? He was my favorite. Knowing this country he's probably turned out to be a nonce.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the honey monster got addicted to drugs and now works for the Philadelphia Flyers NHL team

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you cant get addicted to drugs theyre really safe

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

SpicePro posted:

Wilko is very much alive online still (which was a bit of a surprise to me).

The Range bought the brand, Wilko the company is gone.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Ms Adequate posted:

Stevie Two Jaxley-Lennon

Also back on cereals whatever happened to the Honey Monster? He was my favorite. Knowing this country he's probably turned out to be a nonce.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Soylent Yellow posted:

Cereal toy chat: I used to prefer the cereals where you sent tokens off for a toy. The toys were generally better, there was no fighting over who got the toy from the cereal packet, and you only got them if you actually wanted them. I used to have an entire set of land speed record toy cars.

holy gently caress I remember these, don't think I had the full set but definitely had a mini Thrust 2 and the long thin one that was basically a rocket on its side

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Those shrinky dink things you coloured in and then shrank in the oven were the best cereal toy imho

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

This is what happens these days, if you say you're English.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
isn't it great how Hamas releases "hostages" and Israel releases "prisoners"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I got back into the cereal game a few years ago and went really boring honey nut cheerios because I am An Adult

Now I'm eating the loving multgrain boulders that Tesco do. Chocolate and Vanilla balls of nice hell yes

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I picked up some of this badboy last week

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That is too much milk. Look at it.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

holy gently caress I remember these, don't think I had the full set but definitely had a mini Thrust 2 and the long thin one that was basically a rocket on its side

I managed to get three - all except Spirit of America. I think one of our cats chewed the tyres off Bluebird.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Nov 26, 2023

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Julio Cruz posted:

isn't it great how Hamas releases "hostages" and Israel releases "prisoners"

This really bothered me too. I am so sick of the press using plausible deniability language all the loving time to spin this.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Also don't eat a bowl of cereal while on the bus

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Microplastics posted:

That is too much milk. Look at it.

*whispering into a censor bar* that's not milk

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

I got back into the cereal game a few years ago

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

frytechnician posted:

This really bothered me too. I am so sick of the press using plausible deniability language all the loving time to spin this.

you might not like it but its precise language.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

frytechnician posted:

Again, they almost definitely have to do this as part of a style guide relating to, in the eyes of the UK government, legitimate nation states versus terrorist groups. It doesn't make it right.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Mr Yaxley-Cumstench.... i was trying to remember his silly name earlier on and that's what my subconscious provided. :kiddo:

I rather think it suits him.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm always surprised he didn't go the whole hog and call himself Tommy Atkins. I suppose even his ardent followers might have noticed that one as a step too far.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Was Tommy Tank already taken?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Microplastics posted:

There's a tiktok (yes I know) of a guy who does things that aren't illegal but feels illegal. This seems like right up his alley. Other things include walking down the street drinking a glass of tea.

Genuinely binned off cereal (and breakfast in general for about 10 years) and then woke up one day desperate for a bowl of cheerios. Never looked back

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

frytechnician posted:

The BBC recently ran something about a woman released from an israeli prison and she talked a bit in arabic about her experience without once mentioning Hamas, but the english subtitles said "i love Hamas" or something lol. real poo poo

https://twitter.com/RespondCrisis/status/1728855237019234469

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I like the bland, cheap Tesco muesli; add a banana, honey and yogurt for a nice breakfast or simmer it in a pot with mushrooms, sweetcorn, chicken + stock cube for a savory gruel supper.... some days i just want to lazy cook. :shrug:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
It'd be good if there was a chocolate orange cereal.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

keep punching joe posted:

It'd be good if there was a chocolate orange cereal.

does this count

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Nuclear Spoon posted:

does this count

Professor Weeto has gone too far

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you might not like it but its precise language.

Sounds like someone's on the payroll, lol.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Microplastics posted:

Perfectly ethical to eat a bowl of cereal on the bus unless you are the one driving it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
C5 had to pull a documentary at the last moment, about the 1928 London floods, after they accidentally included a women who is alleged to be a big o' nazi. There's a Sun article but I'm not linking that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

kecske posted:

The BBC recently ran something about a woman released from an israeli prison and she talked a bit in arabic about her experience without once mentioning Hamas, but the english subtitles said "i love Hamas" or something lol. real poo poo

https://twitter.com/RespondCrisis/status/1728855237019234469
The BBC misrepresent and exaggerate all the time, but this feels like something new, something worse. Like war propaganda.

I mean that's just outright lying. Even the worst excesses of Corbyn's assassination just misrepresented photos, interpreted every statement via the harshest prejudice possible, and imagined what he might do through the same lens.

But that is someone somewhere along the chain of translation who hates the people onscreen, and wants to make them look like terrorist sympathisers instead of victims by making poo poo up they never said.

Things like this increasingly make me feel dumb and insane though, because how does the average person know which translation is correct? How do I know that tweet is from a reputable account? How can you know where the video came from, or who the person on it is? Everything is in doubt, unless you have a level of media expertise most people just don't have access to.

Essentially a lot of this comes down to the people reading it trusting it whether it fits with their vibe of the situation, and unfortunately lies like this are only going to strengthen this idea prevalent across the media that Palestinians are all Hamas sympathisers.

gently caress, that's grim.