Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I really wish they'd lean into that more. The Imperial Church was a hugely important thing in Germany. Donate lands to a bishopric, appoint your son/cousin to a cushy job as bishop, get a loyal supporter whose lands revert to you on death (as he can't have legitimate heirs). It's a perfect system since nobody else cares about appointing bishops...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
investiture crisis is basically the most strugglable possible fuckin thing. already got matilda and everything

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Though they will also need to add an event where you go to Italy, catch malaria and promptly die

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Even though it's been patched, White Peace for the Seljuk CB still seems... odd.

The Seljuks are already landed in this case, and if they White Peace they just get the primary title of their victim and vassalize them? Seems weird to me. Screenshot was taken in an Observation game btw.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 25, 2023

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I got a message saying that my councilor Buwayh was murdered by Mor, my wet nurse. But the imprison option is grayed out, saying that I can't imprison an Ally without reason. :psyduck:

Is this a bug or something?

E: also how can I make more money more quickly? I am eligible to create the title of Kingdom of Ireland, but I'm short by about 200 gold. I'm earning 6.2 gold per month so it's gonna take awhile at this rate.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Go to the left side Stewardship lifestyle tree (the income/avaricious one). That is the best way to start making money. The first perk let’s you get money from hooks, then a second one is extort subjects, which gives you a nice money bonus every 5 years.

Other than that, going to war and trying to get good hostages you can ransom is the other way to make good money.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
But also, 6.2 gold per month isn’t anything to sneeze at. It might take you 34 months to get that 200 gold, but that’s only like 2.75 years & you might be better off spending that time preparing for being king.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Okay, so I formed the kingdom of Ireland and snapped up the remaining holdouts as vassals. A few questions:

1.) Is it better to vassalize holdouts at a low contribution or wage war on them and force them to become vassals that way? I think the latter results in overall lower opinion of me but starts the vassal contract at normal contribution.

2.) I still don't know why I can't imprison my wetnurse for murder. Her murder infamy is there for everyone to see, but she still is designated an ally so it won't let me imprison her. Why?

3.) Should I focus on developing my holdings to make my kingdom richer or start targeting counties in Scotland/England to eventually gain the empire of Britannia?

4.) My domain limit is 4/7. Is there a way to force vassals to hand over counties/duchies to me under direct control or leave it be?

5.) I can hold court now apparently. Does this help strategically or is it just for RP purposes?

6.) I can apparently equip my character and court with items. How do I get those? Do I need to attack other courts that have them or can I find or build them on my own?

7.) One of the court decisions says "your opinion of X lowers", but I can't actually see what my character's opinion of others is, just the target vassal's opinion of my character. Does it even matter?

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

1.) Is it better to vassalize holdouts at a low contribution or wage war on them and force them to become vassals that way? I think the latter results in overall lower opinion of me but starts the vassal contract at normal contribution.

Considering you just started your kingdom, you must still have a good army, meaning that even if they go to civil war, you'll still clap them. I think it's better in the long run to have the contract at normal than lower that it could be.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

2.) I still don't know why I can't imprison my wetnurse for murder. Her murder infamy is there for everyone to see, but she still is designated an ally so it won't let me imprison her. Why?

Probably a bug considering they shouldn't be landed. The option you're having should technically only apply to Vassal beneath you and she is neither so you can probably kill to solve the problem.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

3.) Should I focus on developing my holdings to make my kingdom richer or start targeting counties in Scotland/England to eventually gain the empire of Britannia?

Both are good. Developping your country can allow to get a better economy and so a better military but England kinda like to expand and have a big army so you should watch for that and maybe slap some sense into them every once in a while.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

4.) My domain limit is 4/7. Is there a way to force vassals to hand over counties/duchies to me under direct control or leave it be?

Except a few holdout who are the capital and/or have big developpment, the time that you'll spend getting control back and developping wouldn't be worth the effort, especially if you are going to clap Scottland. You are better just taking a few big city/capital, especially considering part of the terrain in Ireland is Wetlands, which slower the developpment rate.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

5.) I can hold court now apparently. Does this help strategically or is it just for RP purposes?

Depend on what you want to do. Some allows to raise the opinion of character, some give some bonus to town, some raise the acceptance level between two culture allowing for to do some funny stuff, some has some interesting project. Can be costly but are very nice bonus time to time. Up to you to check depending on your type of court and what you need.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

6.) I can apparently equip my character and court with items. How do I get those? Do I need to attack other courts that have them or can I find or build them on my own?

These are item that you can create by sponsoring people with an inspiration or you can always commision stuff if you have an aquiatrian. They offer nice bonus and those on the character can often boost can significantly the prowess of your character if the item are good.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

7.) One of the court decisions says "your opinion of X lowers", but I can't actually see what my character's opinion of others is, just the target vassal's opinion of my character. Does it even matter?

If you click on a character, their opinion of you should be at the bottom of their portrait. Opinion can be important because of vassal, it allows them to go to faction that make a mess and courtier can decide to join a murder scheme at your court if they don't like you enough. Also, if a population doesn't like you, they can also do a peasant revolt which can be put to the ground rather easily.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

L.U.I.G.I posted:

If you click on a character, their opinion of you should be at the bottom of their portrait. Opinion can be important because of vassal, it allows them to go to faction that make a mess and courtier can decide to join a murder scheme at your court if they don't like you enough. Also, if a population doesn't like you, they can also do a peasant revolt which can be put to the ground rather easily.

Thanks for the advice, but for this part I’m talking about my character's opinion of others, not their opinion of me.

Also I went ahead and made the last two duchy titles I could make, got the too many duchies malus, gifted the duchy title to an early who had one of the counties under that duchy, now I'm left with less income per month than I started with. :confused:

I just assumed making titles willy nilly is a good thing. I really don't have a sense for what is optimal play yet.

E: what are some recommended YouTube guides for understanding CK3's systems better? There's quite a few of them and I'm not sure where to start.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 25, 2023

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Thanks for the advice, but for this part I’m talking about my character's opinion of others, not their opinion of me.

If a character has an opinion of +55 of your character, your character will have an opinion of +55 in return to them.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also I went ahead and made the last two duchy titles I could make, got the too many duchies malus, gifted the duchy title to an early who had one of the counties under that duchy, now I'm left with less income per month than I started with. :confused:

If I'm not mistaken, the contract you have with the Vassal of the Duchy will give you less than what the Vassal with County will give you. This is due to how it's calculated. If you have 5 county that produce each 1 gold per month, they will give you, let say 20% of their income (This is not the correct number, this is just to explain stuff). You get 1 Gold per month.

You then have the Duchy title who has the 5 county and an income of 2 gold per month because of their capital. That make for them a total of 3 gold per month and you get 15% of that. You get 0,45 gold per month.

If I'm not mistaken, they "Too much duchy" malus only gives opinion malus. I'm not sure if they affect the duchy themselves.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just assumed making titles willy nilly is a good thing. I really don't have a sense for what is optimal play yet.

Depend on the title and the situation at hand. If you don't need immediately to have title, don't do it. If you have the Kingdom title and no Duchy title, you will have all the county and more money. That being said, if the Vassal start to get angsty for some reason and start faction, you can give one a Duchy and the county that comes with it. They leave the faction automatically, lessing their power.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: what are some recommended YouTube guides for understanding CK3's systems better? There's quite a few of them and I'm not sure where to start.

I don't watch CK3 youtube video due to the fact that CK3 isn't a particularly hard game. Unless your dynasty is dead, you'll always be able to rise up once again given enough time (If you don't re-load a save like me who cannot take upon himself to take the L)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

L.U.I.G.I posted:

If a character has an opinion of +55 of your character, your character will have an opinion of +55 in return to them.

not the case. there's a mod for actually showing it, it can be quite funny at times

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

bob dobbs is dead posted:

not the case. there's a mod for actually showing it, it can be quite funny at times

Wait really? How does it work then?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Every character has an opinion on every other character independently of whatever the reciprocating opinion might be, the player character is no different.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, player characters have opinions of every other character the same way AIs do, and they're independent of the reverse opinion.

They don't MATTER since the player controls their actions but events and stuff will still affect them since of course AIs can trigger events or take decisions, and they're still tracked since of course you can switch characters at any time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
heres the mod btw

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2625307328

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

"Uuurgh, why is this women here, I HATE her"

"My lord, that is your wife, soulmate and the mother of all your children..."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
more past, more boomer

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Neurion posted:

Even though it's been patched, White Peace for the Seljuk CB still seems... odd.

The Seljuks are already landed in this case, and if they White Peace they just get the primary title of their victim and vassalize them? Seems weird to me. Screenshot was taken in an Observation game btw.

Jeez, that still looks bugged. They’re only supposed to use the cb once, otherwise you get this silly “empire on white peace” cb :/

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
How do I transfer domains back to my direct control?

I'm still at 4/7 domains so well under the domain limit (though a little worried if everything gets nuked when my character dies and my heir takes over, my character is getting old...), but the option to revoke title from my vassals is grayed out.

I want more personal domains since apparently that generates much more regular income than taking a tiny share from my vassals as their tax obligation, but going to war against my own vassals seems silly. What can I do? Do I need to fabricate claim first?

E: also as far as guides go, I find ItalianSpartacus the most enjoyable to listen to and watch. Most of his videos are pretty old, but the advice is still good and goes into more specific detail than "start in Ireland and go to war with neighboring counties!", especially in terms of understanding the menus and what to look for and what to think about.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Nov 26, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Theyre granted the lands in recognition of their prowess

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, not sure how to move toward the next step of my plan of expanding to the other British isles since I keep spinning my wheels just maintaining control and developing my counties' infrastructure.

It's really annoying to see raiders pillage my countryside since apparently there's no way to call my powerful allies for help since it's technically not a declared war. My levies + knights are like 1,800 strong and the raiders are around 2,500 so they keep crushing me and I hate letting them go around doing what they want.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, not sure how to move toward the next step of my plan of expanding to the other British isles since I keep spinning my wheels just maintaining control and developing my counties' infrastructure.

It's really annoying to see raiders pillage my countryside since apparently there's no way to call my powerful allies for help since it's technically not a declared war. My levies + knights are like 1,800 strong and the raiders are around 2,500 so they keep crushing me and I hate letting them go around doing what they want.

I usually wait til I have an empire before doing any serious development of my holdings. I'd marry so that your heir has a claim to the scottish throne and their heir has a claim to the English throne, so you can use England to invade Scotland and then face down England with a unified celtic (excluding Wales, Mann, Cornwall, and Brittany) kingdom.

Jakosa
Dec 28, 2021

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm still at 4/7 domains so well under the domain limit (though a little worried if everything gets nuked when my character dies and my heir takes over, my character is getting old...), but the option to revoke title from my vassals is grayed out.

You need to be at a certain level of crown authority to be able to revoke titles. Level 2 for feudal and clan and level 3 for tribal, I think

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It also absolutely pisses off the vassal, all their relatives and other aristocrats, so be careful doing it.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I want more personal domains since apparently that generates much more regular income than taking a tiny share from my vassals as their tax obligation, but going to war against my own vassals seems silly. What can I do? Do I need to fabricate claim first?

E: also as far as guides go, I find ItalianSpartacus the most enjoyable to listen to and watch. Most of his videos are pretty old, but the advice is still good and goes into more specific detail than "start in Ireland and go to war with neighboring counties!", especially in terms of understanding the menus and what to look for and what to think about.

In my games I generally keep a single duchy worth of personal holdings until I get to empire size. Domain limit is influenced heavily by your characters stewardship score, so if your heir ends up with worse stewardship you can end up in a situation where you inherit into a "over domain limit" problem. Also, don't forget to factor in what succession is going to look like. Unless you have an elective system, you're going to have your personal domain split among the heirs, so your primary might end up having to war with their siblings every time there is a succession in order to get back control of those holding. Finally, counties under your direct control do give you much more tax money, but you also are going to need to spend personal gold to build holdings to get good gold from them. If you have income issues, more counties under direct control now won't do you a lot of good, but by assigning to a vassal, they will spend their money on building buildings for you. Often it'll be a suboptimal set of buildings, but you can always revoke and change bad buildings once you have the gold to afford developing another holding. Crusades are simply amazing for this kind of thing (protip: you can raise your armies and send them to the crusade target in preparation for the crusade launch since it gives you a countdown to start to give yourself a better chance of getting high contribution score, and thus greater rewards).

I wouldn't worry too much about minmaxing this element of the game. You can probably set your council steward to increase development in your capital county (set your capital to your best county holding so it always goes to your primary heir) and just leave em there. You CAN do better by being very detail oriented here, but it doesn't make a huge difference in the long run.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
After watching some guide videos, I decided to make my own ruler from scratch in Ireland with no children but great martial skills. Easy peasy, right?

Everything seemed to go great at first, but like 3 battles in my character loses a leg and suffers from other wounds and dies, but not before leaving a female baby heir just in time.

But, as I found out, a queen's +100 romantic relationship with the ruler does not mean loyalty toward or good opinion of their daughter.

Several years later, my duchy is essentially in stasis while my mom/the regent keeps trying to gobble up power. Right before I come of age, I have the bitch murdered and everyone supports me for it. I claw back some domains when I do come of age, but by the time I finally do, my neighbors have already consolidated power and I'm totally outmatched even with a marriage alliance from across the channel. Basically zero hope of unifying Ireland under my rule at this point.

gently caress.

Guess I'll just load up my King Murchad file then...

E: I guess I could also save scum back before my 80% success rate assassination plot of the neighboring petty king was supposed to fire but didn't succeed, but at this point I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle, especially considering my baby is also a girl.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 26, 2023

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

After watching some guide videos, I decided to make my own ruler from scratch in Ireland with no children but great martial skills. Easy peasy, right?

Everything seemed to go great at first, but like 3 battles in my character loses a leg and suffers from other wounds and dies, but not before leaving a female baby heir just in time.

But, as I found out, a queen's +100 romantic relationship with the ruler does not mean loyalty toward or good opinion of their daughter.

Several years later, my duchy is essentially in stasis while my mom/the regent keeps trying to gobble up power. Right before I come of age, I have the bitch murdered and everyone supports me for it. I claw back some domains when I do come of age, but by the time I finally do, my neighbors have already consolidated power and I'm totally outmatched even with a marriage alliance from across the channel. Basically zero hope of unifying Ireland under my rule at this point.

gently caress.

Guess I'll just load up my King Murchad file then...

E: I guess I could also save scum back before my 80% success rate assassination plot of the neighboring petty king was supposed to fire but didn't succeed, but at this point I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle, especially considering my baby is also a girl.

There is always the possibility of joining one of the big blorbo, get hook and every big vassal, create a dissolution faction, force everyone to come and enforce the demand.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The best games in CK 3 aren't always about linear progression. Grind it out, see where it takes you. (Not telling you how to play the game, just offering possibilities)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

L.U.I.G.I posted:

There is always the possibility of joining one of the big blorbo, get hook and every big vassal, create a dissolution faction, force everyone to come and enforce the demand.

Wait, do you mean like offering myself as a vassal to a bigger power? What if they are of equal rank to me?

cheat at solitaire
Jun 25, 2023
I'm thinking about picking this up during the autumn sale, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the DLC options. Which DLC offer the best experience for someone who's never played a CK game before?

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

cheat at solitaire posted:

I'm thinking about picking this up during the autumn sale, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the DLC options. Which DLC offer the best experience for someone who's never played a CK game before?

CK3 is one of the few paradox games that is a complete experience without dlc. I’d play the base game before deciding to pick anything up imo

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yeah, I'd agree that they've done a really good job of balancing "stuff added to the regular game funded by DLC" and "stuff added to the DLC" so that if you really like playing in an area that got a flavour pack, or a theme that got expanded in an event pack, or a mechanic that got more deeply explored in the accompanying expansion (culture shenanigans in Royal Court or Grand Activities in Tours and Tournaments) then it's worth it but the base game is still a solid enough experience and still evolving so you can just pick that up and see what you like

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

For sheer chaos and carnage you can't go wrong with Northern Lords

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

pls say hi and heckle me

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Wait, do you mean like offering myself as a vassal to a bigger power? What if they are of equal rank to me?

If they are of equal rank, you can't. They have to be a tier higher or you get automatic independance.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Would like some ideas here please, because I had a pretty funny turn of events:

- Started as Thessalonika and had a pretty slow early game, taking it easy, building, consolidating territory and doing my part in keeping the southern Balkans less chaotic in the basileus yearly thunderdome

- I sniped the alum mine in Phocaea during a particularly messy noble revolt and from there was building an army mostly to punch out neighbors who wandered in, while also taking the opportunity to join wars with the emperor in smaller revolts and beat up armies like piñatas

- Got a genius pensive heir after two martial predecessors, figure out I can switch a bit to use Learning perks to buy some claims etc

- After a while that this guy takes the reins and I consolidate back my territory, a clusterfuck erupts in the frontier with Seljuks, Byzantium goes to defend Antioch and the Fatimids are warring somebody around there and they end up fighting the others too for reasons

- While I figure out what is going on, I notice that the Fatimids are in debt and have all their stacks in the levant and I decide to try a thing; my guy stacks some serious learning and I buy the duchies of Cairo, Delta and the county of Alexandria (I figure it's better to take those than trying to get the whole of Egypt in one go)

- Sure enough, with military engineer and two groups of mangonels, I take out sieges pretty quick while my MaA are beefy enough to handle the reserves and allies. I win!

Now, how to proceed from here? Egypt is much better than staying in the Byzantine vassal headbutting, but yeah, different faith, culture and neighbor situation isn't great and I am dealing with lots of info to consider.

- With the ecclesiarchy, my guy got a ridiculous bonus from Alexandria, so I am thinking to create a new Christian faith; or should I convert to Islam, then reform?

- Hybridizing seems pretty good here (mubarizun + cataphracts?!?!?). Besides learning perks, how can I gain culture acceptance faster?

- Every Nile province I imagine should have farms + orchards + ports for full economic effect, right? (seems silly to not take advantage of the +dev bonus, but also I need to station MaA somewhere where I can make it at least a bit military focused)

thanks in advance!

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The special Mongol Horde armies getting trebuchets even in the early ages is loving hilarious. Just gobbling up castle after castle in just a few days each.

But that fun's over now, Khatun Khulan finally kicked the bucket - while still leading troops on the front - at age 76, and the crown passed on to her granddaughter. She is also martially focused, but not very good at it, and also a complete weenie personality-wise. Gonna be fun keeping this boat afloat.

EDIT: I may have just made a terrible mistake

(If you're gonna adopt the feral child you found in the woods, maybe take a closer look at all your kids' ages first)

EDIT 2: It's okay, I found him a smart wife

Nordick fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 26, 2023

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Buschmaki posted:

If you think it's annoying dealing with partition, imagine how the guys irl felt!!
Makes sense, basically that's what happened to IRL Poland at some point so it's realistic!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

scaterry posted:

CK3 is one of the few paradox games that is a complete experience without dlc. I’d play the base game before deciding to pick anything up imo

I guess I'm kind of weird compared to the reviews complaining about it, but I actually enjoy Friends and Foes and Guardians and Wards the most right now. They add events which make me feel more attached to the characters I'm playing and interacting with, whereas the Grand Tourney and Grand Feast notifications keep popping up despite not having enough money or opportunity to even bother with them.

The VIET mod events also add a lot of color to the game with interesting real-world lore attached to each event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
What mods could you recommend that are compatible with existing savegame?