Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Have we ever seen the interior of the Master's TARDIS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In the classic series yes, I don't think we've seen it in the revival?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure it's even clear they HAVE one most of the time in the new series.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s implication the Dhawan Master had one, I think? Missy used a vortex manipulator, for sure. Simms used the Doctor’s, but I can’t remember if he said how he was on the Mondasian ship?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

There’s implication the Dhawan Master had one, I think? Missy used a vortex manipulator, for sure. Simms used the Doctor’s, but I can’t remember if he said how he was on the Mondasian ship?

Isn't it the tornado with a house in it?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
There's the time when he steals the TARDIS and when you see it again its all red and messy with metal grating everywhere.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah, I genuinely forgot Simms Master was [a] in the End of Time, and [b] survived. From the Whowiki:

quote:

At some point, the Saxon Master, after being cured of his "little condition" and banished from Gallifrey, (TV: The End of Time) arrived on Floor 1056; upon arriving, he attempted to escape but flew his TARDIS too fast in close proximity to the black hole, burning out his ship's dematerialisation circuit and stranding him on the colony ship.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Isn't the end of time when he becomes everyone in the whole world, Obama specifically?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

From what I remember, Dhawan Master had one, we saw the cabin from the window of the plane, but I don’t think we saw the inside (unless we saw the inside when we met him earlier? I only watched that episode once). Sims Master just used 10’s TARDIS, I think.

Any way you split it, I wouldn’t say you’ve seen “The Master’s TARDIS” in the revival, because even if you can find a loophole, it wouldn’t really be their legit console.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 26, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dhawan's Master has some kind of TARDIS in Power of the Doctor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

DoctorWhat posted:

Dhawan's Master has some kind of TARDIS in Power of the Doctor.

I honestly forget most of what happened in that story, except the appearances of the previous Doctors.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I watched it for the first time yesterday and feel the same way.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Boxturret posted:

Isn't the end of time when he becomes everyone in the whole world, Obama specifically?

Yes, and in the process becomes one of the most powerful cards in Magic's Commander format.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God, I forgot all about the spinning house in Spyfall. The Chibnall era really is like an object permanence experiment.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Boxturret posted:

That was the first time I realised doctor who can be bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Yes, and in the process becomes one of the most powerful cards in Magic's Commander format.

Turns out deleting the words 'at the end of turn, sacrifice this' from cards is very powerful.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Boxturret posted:

"President-Elect" Obama, as if that is a specific office.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Clouseau posted:

"President-Elect" Obama, as if that is a specific office.

But he was going to announce how to fix the global economy!

Honestly, the Master turning everyone on earth into copies of himself probably solely in order to make a terrible pun was a fun, totally absurd concept and I was fine with that as a level of Doctor Who crazy.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 27, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't quite spinning, more sort of just hovering alongside the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg92hfbjyyA

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I will say it was a bit difficult to get a handle on the score in this episode, it played a bit like Gold's Greatest Hits at times.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Surprised people hated that master becomes everyone episode, I thought it was hilarious and fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaz-L posted:

I will say it was a bit difficult to get a handle on the score in this episode, it played a bit like Gold's Greatest Hits at times.

The one I really noticed was the 'Doctor and Donna save the day' scene in the spaceship seemed to be using the Eleventh Doctor's theme.

Gaz-L posted:

Turns out deleting the words 'at the end of turn, sacrifice this' from cards is very powerful.

Also, it honestly feels like the Doctor Who villain deck was the one designed to appeal specifically to pre-existing Magic players, since it's the one with not just really weird card dynamics that only make sense to people who know the game really well, but also a bunch of reprints of big-deal cards. ...but because it's also the deck that appeals to fans of every era of the show, it also means it's really sought-after on that side, and the end result is REALLY jacked-up prices. Which is unfortunate, it looks like a really fun deck.

Oh well, I have the Twelve/Thirteen deck, so I get the joy of beating people to death with the worst episodes of the show. The abortion metaphor from Kill the Moon shouldn't be allowed to be a power card like this.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I got all four, hoping to play with my family at christmas. Just got sleeves for em just haven't gotten round to sleeving or yet so I'm still not sure what each deck is like.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Khanstant posted:

I got all four, hoping to play with my family at christmas. Just got sleeves for em just haven't gotten round to sleeving or yet so I'm still not sure what each deck is like.

A general pitch of what every deck's main 'thing' is:

Fourth Doctor: A whole lot of focus on Sagas, cards that gain different effects with every turn they're on the field. (Its Sagas are all named and themed on famous multi-part stories, it's very cute.)
Tenth Doctor: Outright use of the pre-existing 'time travel' mechanic, with a lot of funkiness about playing combos out of sequence.
Thirteenth Doctor: A bunch of stuff that works with the new 'Paradox' keyword, with cards that proc their effects if another card is played form somewhere other than the hand. It loves convoluted ways to get cards in weird places and then use them.
Villains: A lot of outright destruction, as well as both board and graveyard control.

From what I've gathered from both playing and learning from friends who are more into Magic than me, the Thirteen deck is probably the most powerful of them all 'out of the box', although it's also probably the most high-skill. Meanwhile the villain deck, as I said, has a lot of individual cards that are really big deals in both its reprints and originals, but if it doesn't hit those cards specifically then it struggles to get going. (EDIT: However, all of them are pretty good, both compared to each other and other precon Commander decks.)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 27, 2023

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Dabir posted:

Wasn't quite spinning, more sort of just hovering alongside the plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg92hfbjyyA

While I don't much care for any of the Chibnall run (which considering I disliked almost every episode he wrote before he was showrunner, kinda saw it coming) but goddamn, Dhawan NAILED it. I also love that they just used a little plastic figure for the people he shrinks with the tissue compressor rather than any extravagant effect lmao

I do hope he comes back, so we can have a modern Master who menaces more than just one specific Doctor (excluding Simms coming back for the last Capaldi episode I suppose)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Ohhh, so it wasn't coral, it was limescale.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

lines posted:

So... does anyone have ANY guesses as to what the next episode is actually about?

I have a friend who's convinced it's a follow-up to Midnight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wild Blue Yonder is apparently the actual 60th Anniversary Special, so we'll see.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cleretic posted:

A general pitch of what every deck's main 'thing' is:

Fourth Doctor: A whole lot of focus on Sagas, cards that gain different effects with every turn they're on the field. (Its Sagas are all named and themed on famous multi-part stories, it's very cute.)
Tenth Doctor: Outright use of the pre-existing 'time travel' mechanic, with a lot of funkiness about playing combos out of sequence.
Thirteenth Doctor: A bunch of stuff that works with the new 'Paradox' keyword, with cards that proc their effects if another card is played form somewhere other than the hand. It loves convoluted ways to get cards in weird places and then use them.
Villains: A lot of outright destruction, as well as both board and graveyard control.

From what I've gathered from both playing and learning from friends who are more into Magic than me, the Thirteen deck is probably the most powerful of them all 'out of the box', although it's also probably the most high-skill. Meanwhile the villain deck, as I said, has a lot of individual cards that are really big deals in both its reprints and originals, but if it doesn't hit those cards specifically then it struggles to get going. (EDIT: However, all of them are pretty good, both compared to each other and other precon Commander decks.)

More specifically: The Classic Doctors deck is focused on the 'historic' mechanic which does INCLUDE Sagas, but also does stuff with artifacts and legendary creatures. And the Ten/Eleven deck actually adds a 'time travel' mechanic to mess with a few existing mechanics (suspend and vanishing) and let things happen sooner, or stop later than they otherwise would.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Are the doctor who decks ok to use to get into magic the gathering for a beginner?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Confusedslight posted:

Are the doctor who decks ok to use to get into magic the gathering for a beginner?

Nooot really. Commander decks have a lot going on anyway and these especially have a lot of moving parts and things to keep track of.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm introducing my family to it since I already play the game and they're familiar enough with Doctor Who some of the top down design should hopefully make sense to them. Being handed a commander deck for a random game at a bar is how I got sucked into mtg.

You get mixed reviews for commander (the 4 player mode) as a teaching tool, usually folks recommend poking around the digital versions Arena to get the very basics down. I was familiar with Hearthstone and random other card games when I played so it was fairly intuitive once you learn the steps and turns and 3 people who did know the game were supremely helpful in learning the basics for me.

The doctor who decks are "planechase" decks which is a variant of commander that might add extra complexity, but I've heard of folks just ignoring that part and the decks are just normal themed commander decks.

If you've got nobody who ever played MtG, I would recommend building some baseline familiarity through Arena or videos just so there's at least 1 person who has seen how a game flows in general.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Confusedslight posted:

They're some of the most mechanically complex precons ever made, so not at all.

That's not to say you can't do it though. If it's what sparks a new hobby for you, dive in and immerse yourself. Take every loss and mistake (and there will be many of both) as a learning opportunity and you'll get there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'd recommend finding other ways to learn the basics (MtG Arena's tutorials are good), but if you're into Doctor Who then I think the decks are actually decent introductions to complex Magic/Commander decks, because they go through a lot of effort to accurately reflect moments from the show. It's hard to wrap your head around the Foretold Soldier just looking at it, but then you realize that its whole thing is just a card game version of how his weird monster gimmick actually worked. It can be a bit of a 'jump in the deep end and try your best' experience, but if that's a way you learn then it can do you well.

It also helps that the decks are actually good. Like, this isn't just softballing you a deck that's easy to learn but would fold the instant it entered a real match, they can actually throw some punches if you play well.

I'd probably put it at a good 'middle step' for learning. You don't want to learn the game's basics with them specifically, and it'll be a bit of a task to learn how to pilot them, but they're a good deck for your first time at a casual local event.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

From what I remember, Dhawan Master had one, we saw the cabin from the window of the plane, but I don’t think we saw the inside (unless we saw the inside when we met him earlier? I only watched that episode once). Sims Master just used 10’s TARDIS, I think.

Any way you split it, I wouldn’t say you’ve seen “The Master’s TARDIS” in the revival, because even if you can find a loophole, it wouldn’t really be their legit console.

And in the old show, his TARDIS was usually just The Doctor's with black paint.

Now The Rani, she had the best alternative TARDIS ..specifically the console:

:swoon:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Astroman posted:

And in the old show, his TARDIS was usually just The Doctor's with black paint.

Now The Rani, she had the best alternative TARDIS ..specifically the console:

:swoon:

Gatwa has apparently openly said that he’d really really like Gillian Anderson to play The Rani at some point during his run, also

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

SOLDIERS OF THE PSYCHEDELIC SUN BAYBEEEEEEE!!

We're back! It's been so long...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Gatwa has apparently openly said that he’d really really like Gillian Anderson to play The Rani at some point during his run, also

God that would rule

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I just realized we're going to have to watch Tennant bite it a second time. :sadwave:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

gently caress YEA DO THAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pops Mgee posted:

I just realized we're going to have to watch Tennant bite it a second time. :sadwave:

Yeah, but this time he will want to go.