Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Do you guys worry much about infamy? Been floating around 70 give or take for most of this Germany run and the great powers aren’t big fans but I kind of want to go apeshit on Europe and see what kind of World War I can start by hitting Pariah status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I probably worry about it more than I need to.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
If you're strong enough to go toe to toe with the GPs you can basically ignore infamy if you don't mind being at war constantly, if you're significantly weaker (and especially if unrecognised) you are taking a risk just going over 25

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Here's something of an exploit I just found. I'm not sure this is already known of, but when you let your colonized lands get occupied, it will give that state a completed colony status. You can incorporate it from there, but more importantly, once you re-occupy that land, you can start colonization again which comes with that initial bit of land from starting one. If you just let it get occupied again, you can repeat the process over and over, completely ignoring malaria colonization penalties.

MuffinsAndPie fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 26, 2023

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

Been trying the new patch as the Sikh empire, could use some general advice.

I've made two attempts to beat the raj in a war within the first ten years of the game, lost both of those. Had another two runs trying to develop, got declared on both times by the raj. Both times there was a small front line in Kutch that the raj didn't put troops in, then a main front line. In each war I'd attack the small front line in Kutch, but this would reset both lines and kick both my and the raj's armies back to their hq's. I reloaded the save a few times, but there was no way for me to redeploy my troops to the line before the raj could and they would perfectly occupy all of Punjab, no battle.

I'm on attempt number 5 now, got a defensive pact with France and joined their customs union. Trying to build up a military that can beat the raj, they're on professional army with 266+306 battalions. It's 1869, I have 30 percent literacy, 16.5 mil gdp, and 34 construction. Could I have developed better than this? Feel like most of the run is going to be over before I can even start eating into India.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

All the territory to your west is full of exploitable resources, it might take you a while but you should definitely be able to outscale the AI. Playing an unrecognised power can be hard though even if you've got a lot of population, unless you abuse some exploitable stuff like getting recognition by conquering tiny islands.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Additionally, Qing's war support isn't going to fall below 0 unless you occupy their capital, because you have the reparations wargoal. If you hadn't added that then all you'd need to do is occupy Tonkin and hold it for a while.

This mechanic is rough, something in the system needs to let the AI agree to partial peace treaties if some of the wargoals are occupied.

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

All the territory to your west is full of exploitable resources, it might take you a while but you should definitely be able to outscale the AI. Playing an unrecognised power can be hard though even if you've got a lot of population, unless you abuse some exploitable stuff like getting recognition by conquering tiny islands.

I took Sindh and all of Baluchistan early on, minus Oman's treaty port. Also wasn't sure what the best way was to deal with unrest. Had to do a lot of building in Baluchistan for resources and that was a problem. Sometimes I tried violent suppression, other runs I tried the welfare edict and did what I could for standard of living. Other then getting cops asap was there anything else I could have done?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3096635838

Also this just happened so I'm gonna give up on the Sikhs for awhile.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

For unrest the best thing you can do is max police to reduce turmoil impact + guaranteed liberties to generate more loyalists and fewer radicals, and then just push SOL

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

For unrest the best thing you can do is max police to reduce turmoil impact + guaranteed liberties to generate more loyalists and fewer radicals, and then just push SOL

Those aren't really helpful in recently conquered states because they won't get those benefits until later on. The only way to really reduce unrest in recently conquered states is violent suppression and job creation - which is of course, much more difficult due to the unrest. Basically, just deal with high unrest and ride it out. If there's a revolt you hope that you can handle it and you try to integrate the conquered state as fast as possible, but there really aren't many options. This is one reason why puppeting areas can sometimes be better. If a state has only a 2 or 5 year integration time you can usually handle the unrest, but in a 20 year one you're basically screwed.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

Blorange posted:

This mechanic is rough, something in the system needs to let the AI agree to partial peace treaties if some of the wargoals are occupied.
This is already a thing. You don't have to press literally every war goal you have in the peace treaty. It's easier to pull off if you also give some concessions in return.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So if a recently-conquered state declares secession, your only possible response is to fight another war? That’s insane. My guys are sailing home just to naval invade them again.

Violent Suppression reduces turmoil penalties, but it doesn’t actually reduce turmoil. And since the issue is different culture, I don’t think improving SOL will help much.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Vengarr posted:

And since the issue is different culture, I don’t think improving SOL will help much.

It does help, but it means that the initial "I just conquered you" turmoil can take a lot longer to get rid of. Pre-1.5 it was pretty easy to keep regions pacified just by giving them better jobs, local pricing makes this more difficult now.

On a vaguely related note I think I'm done with this game until migration gets tweaked back into being more reasonable, there's too many areas of the map which you just can't extract resources from because there's not enough population there and it really makes the game feel too restrictive. Migration in the beta was obviously broken the other way but it was fun being able to reliably attract pops to where the jobs were rather than being forced to build up the regions which start out with pops.

I'm surprised because from what I remember from 1.4 it wasn't that much faster than 1.5 is now but I guess it compounds, if you think about having say 50% more migrants for a decade plus all the additional population growth on top of that and the extra GDP growth and taxes associated with the additional population suddenly it's a big deal

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

NeverHelm posted:

This is already a thing. You don't have to press literally every war goal you have in the peace treaty. It's easier to pull off if you also give some concessions in return.

Yes, but the war exhaustion not ticking down past 0 means that even if you've taken literally every other holding and smashed their army to pieces repeatedly, you're stuck in a costly hellwar until you hit the capital. This is doubly annoying with fighting Britain, since you have to naval invade.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The trick is to avoid picking wargoals that require occupying the capital unless you're prepared to commit to taking the capital

The part of this that's a newbie trap is that it's not entirely obvious when you're declaring war what wargoals require taking the capital. War reparations in particular seem kind of ridiculous to me to require taking the capital.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

The trick is demand reparations + conquer some bullshit island. The AI won’t defend it so occupation should be easy and then they can tick negative. If you don’t even take the island in the peace deal you can repeat it in other wars. It’s hand if a GP keeps attacking you and you just want to punch cash out of them

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Doesn't warscore only get stuck at zero if there's an unfulfilled primary demand?

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
War Reparations doesn't require occupying the enemy capital - you just have to occupy any of their territory at all. The more the better, of course, but even just occupying some lovely outlying island is enough to get that warscore ticking below 0.

According to the wiki, the only wargoals that require occupying the capital specifically are Humiliation, Cut Down To Size, and the ones that change the target's laws.

However, occupying the enemy capital can enable warscore to fall below zero even if you haven't fulfilled the specific objectives of your actual warscore.

Vengarr posted:

So if a recently-conquered state declares secession, your only possible response is to fight another war? That’s insane. My guys are sailing home just to naval invade them again.

Violent Suppression reduces turmoil penalties, but it doesn’t actually reduce turmoil. And since the issue is different culture, I don’t think improving SOL will help much.

Yep, colonial policing is tough, especially if your government is openly racist against the colony's population. You're just gonna have to deal with that.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yeah, that's fine, except I had 30 battalions headquartered there and now I have to re-invade.

And unless winning the war reduces turmoil, I'm going to have to do it every year from now until hell freezes over.

Just dumb as hell.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ok I've changed my mind, hellwars because the AI shoves your Frontline full of poo poo while the opposing AI always seems to bring their full force to bear sucks tremendous amounts of rear end.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Vengarr posted:

Yeah, that's fine, except I had 30 battalions headquartered there and now I have to re-invade.

And unless winning the war reduces turmoil, I'm going to have to do it every year from now until hell freezes over.

Just dumb as hell.

The initial war is usually the worst for the unrest hit. Unless there's been a big change in 1.5 that I didn't see, after the first revolt it should be easier to manage your colony because once the states breaks away from you and gets reconquered the SoL of the inhabitants will be so low that reentering your market should help reduce unrest by quite a bit.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Vengarr posted:

Just dumb as hell.

Just conquer their neighbor too, so when one of the two rebels your soldiers can just stroll over to the other one and start the war from there.

I doubt winning the war will reduce turmoil, but there's probably a cooldown period before they can pop another secession. Should give you time to turn on emergency relief and build a few things. Even if discrimination is a major contributor to turmoil, raising SoL should be able to bring turmoil down enough.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

On a vaguely related note I think I'm done with this game until migration gets tweaked back into being more reasonable, there's too many areas of the map which you just can't extract resources from because there's not enough population there and it really makes the game feel too restrictive. Migration in the beta was obviously broken the other way but it was fun being able to reliably attract pops to where the jobs were rather than being forced to build up the regions which start out with pops.

I'm surprised because from what I remember from 1.4 it wasn't that much faster than 1.5 is now but I guess it compounds, if you think about having say 50% more migrants for a decade plus all the additional population growth on top of that and the extra GDP growth and taxes associated with the additional population suddenly it's a big deal

Yeah, I dunno about the unofficial fix in the discord per my experience, even if it comes from a dev. I really want to play more but I think I can wait for 1.5.10 now so I can stop wondering about why certain aspects just aren't working right.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
The classic PDX paradox, you can always wait until the next patch fixes X, but then Y will be broken and you need to wait until the next patch.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I'm pretty unsatisfied from the naval landing changes and it's really hurt my games.

Anyone else having major issues with naval invasions not firing? One egregious example was having a fleet of 80 ironclads and monitors having to constantly beat a 1 sailship Bruneian navy that immediately gets repaired and sets sail again to block the landing from ticking. In larger European conflicts it gets really unwieldy with numerous navies occupying a zone but one having definitive dominance. You also end up in cases where you have battalions hardlocked into waiting for a landing for years sitting on their ship in a naval zone.

TLDR: there should be a naval supremacy score similar to HOI. Also a way to cancel naval landings that can at least free up hardlocked battalions until the landing system can hopefully be overhauled.

Blorange posted:

Agreed. Even if what folks said in the thread is true, there's little transparency in this. I'm sure there's a few ways to structure a fix.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

That's a current bug with naval invasions. It's really feeling like this patch needed a few more months of beta before going live.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

They basically stopped the beta and then did another patch after the beta which didn't get beta tested which also introduced a bunch of new bugs

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kagon posted:

That's a current bug with naval invasions. It's really feeling like this patch needed a few more months of beta before going live.

it just needed like one more month, they released it and ended the beta like a week after the final patch added a shitload

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
More noob questions:
1. is protectorate / dominion / puppet / annex less infamy overall than conquer outright? just takes longer since you have to wait 5 years between each phase and GPs might hop in? or is it more infamy just spread out?
2. is there a way to cancel a peace deal? accidentally proposed white peace
3. what causes interests to randomly disappear? i didn't cancel them but have to keep readding them
4. noob mapi question -- say i have coal+wood+iron in one state (e.g. pennsylvania) is it better to make explosives in that state, or is it better to make them where i have sulfur mines, or does it not matter? why?
5. any tips for electrification? feels very micromanagement heavy now that it's a local good -- or should i not expect to electrify every state?
6. do folks use auto-expand? if so for what and when?
7. is there a way to auto swap newly conquered land to the correct PMs? it's tedious having to update

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

alcaras posted:

More noob questions:
1. is protectorate / dominion / puppet / annex less infamy overall than conquer outright? just takes longer since you have to wait 5 years between each phase and GPs might hop in? or is it more infamy just spread out?
3. what causes interests to randomly disappear? i didn't cancel them but have to keep readding them
4. noob mapi question -- say i have coal+wood+iron in one state (e.g. pennsylvania) is it better to make explosives in that state, or is it better to make them where i have sulfur mines, or does it not matter? why?
5. any tips for electrification? feels very micromanagement heavy now that it's a local good -- or should i not expect to electrify every state?
7. is there a way to auto swap newly conquered land to the correct PMs? it's tedious having to update

3. You might be fluctuating between power statuses (major vs. minor or whatever) and losing interest slots because of this.
4. Yes, this is a new feature of the recent update. Grouping together industries that use base resources that can be gained from the state (and further on, intermediate refined resources in the same state) often leads to better productivity since they pay less for their input goods by virtue of logistics being simpler.
6. When you reach that inflection point when pops start coming to your nation in droves, in much more numbers than you want to deal through micro, you hit auto-expand on good industries in states that are hoovering them up so you can take a load off your shoulders.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

alcaras posted:

More noob questions:

7. there's a map lens button that does exactly this

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Love when my army refuses to walk through the territory of my puppet to go to war and just has to sit landlocked twiddling their thumbs during a major war. What the gently caress is this?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
-It used to be solidly less, but I think now it's evened out? This is a feels check more than anything. Each stage definitely seems to be less "violent" in perception to other powers, still, though--again "feels".
-Try hitting the accept/don't accept toggle before it procs.
-If your prestige is fluctuating--you got some from an event (especially the ones related to society techs or expeditions), you had to upgrade some troops or ships in a way that means deleting the old barracks or bases, sometimes even your peers got washed in a war of their own and the decaying malus is falling off--you can lose some.
-Good question, but based on raw volumes of goods moved... at endgame explosives are in total 50 sulfur, 5 oil, 7.5 iron, 20 electricity, 30 paper per 150 units. IOW they produce larger amounts of physical goods to be shipped out than are needed to be shipped in to make them. So assuming local price effects are linear per unit, I'd focus more on making them where they'll be used than where the sulfur is, and Penna's a very good pick there as it's a high-pop state with both a lot of mining potential and a historical preeminence in steelworking due to local prices of coal--so you've also got very good inputs for the third and fourth tiers of construction tech.
-The micro can be cut down on a lot by using the buildings menu from the left bar to set PMs--if you jam on the electrified options it will set them for states with electricity and the next-highest one for states without. There's also a "reset state PMs to most common" button in the bottom bar; I'm not sure it has this protection. Personally, -I use the build from list functionality, which is available from either the left or bottom bar, and force at least one plant into each state that isn't a hyper-low-pop island, set PMs, and then when I have free building capacity just build more power plants anywhere they're predicted to turn a profit.
-I don't, but I probably should; the problem I encounter is that it's not available for electricity or rail which are the two things I do want more of if it projects profitable.
-Like with electrification, either mass-set by building type or by state. A toggle to auto-do this on conquest wouldn't be amiss, but there isn't one yet.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Love when my army refuses to walk through the territory of my puppet to go to war and just has to sit landlocked twiddling their thumbs during a major war. What the gently caress is this?

The increase in number of puppet levels means an increase in number of puppets that aren't suborned enough to have to autojoin their suzerain's wars. Their willingness to take sides is probably a bit undertuned, but you need to have an eye on swaying them if you want them (or, tbh, not swaying them if you want to keep costs down by eating their neighbors with well-equipped marines while not having to garrison the border.)
It used to be worse, they didn't automatically enter even if they were the target of war goals, so you could IE be Russia or Prussia trying to eat Krakow and have to drive all the way to Vienna because you could not occupy that war goal because they decided to stay neutral.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 28, 2023

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

It’s a colonial administration so it’s kind of baffling a country I created directly is not letting my army walk over to the beach to escape Africa.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
3. I've been a GP the entire time. Maybe dipping negative in Influence briefly does it?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

7. there's a map lens button that does exactly this

Oh cool... where is this map lens? I don't see it in the list of map lenses?

Also, how do you electrify nowadays? I can't hire enough people :(

Only 10K unemployed in a nation of 80M

#1 Migration Target around the world

which gets me ... 500 people?

alcaras fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 28, 2023

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

alcaras posted:

Oh cool... where is this map lens? I don't see it in the list of map lenses?

It's not in the map overlays, it's in one of the big four buttons on the bottom of the map, the "Politics" button. The first sub-button lets you build construction/government/rails; the second sub-button lets you lay down decrees; the third sub-button has a "set production standards" which automatically sets all production in the next state you click to the "standard" that you last made.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Dipping temporarily will definitely do it.

Electrification lets you slam assembly line or a flavorful equivalent on most urban industry, being labor-tight is exactly when you want to go for it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

alcaras posted:

#1 Migration Target around the world

which gets me ... 500 people?

Other than migrant waves, people will only migrate within their market AND if both their country's and the target country's laws allow them to migrate.

If you have the "migration controls" law, are the inhabitants of other countries in your market discriminated in your country?
Do other countries in your market have the "closed borders" law?
Do you not have any other countries in your market?

All the above can prevent you from receiving migrants.

But on top of all of that, migration in the current build seems weak in general.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah, I dunno about the unofficial fix in the discord per my experience, even if it comes from a dev. I really want to play more but I think I can wait for 1.5.10 now so I can stop wondering about why certain aspects just aren't working right.

What is that fix to migration? I've seen maybe two or three mass migrations in my 1910 Mexico game where I have Cultural Exclusion, Total Seperation, and a higher SoL than the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

What is that fix to migration? I've seen maybe two or three mass migrations in my 1910 Mexico game where I have Cultural Exclusion, Total Seperation, and a higher SoL than the US.

Look for a defines.txt, change MIGRATION_MAX_EMIGRATION_AS_POPULATION_FRACTION = 0.0005 to 0.005. You also want to get the Civilizing Mission tech ASAP, for American nations it literally gives you a "create mass migration" button.

That said, it sounds like a silly typo but when I played with the fixed figure, if anything it felt a lot worse for me since my pops were abandoning my gold mines and I was struggling to fill them up again. It's why I'm waiting for the real patch, maybe they have a better figure coming.