Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Lobsterpillar posted:

New thread title?

You don't like the one from a year ago that references something he finished over a decade ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

You don't like the one from a year ago that references something he finished over a decade ago?

It's definitely a strained joke.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I still love when I asked Brandon about Dalinar's colors as a magic deck after Oathbringer and he said "Dalinar is White, oh wait, not like that."

Not thread title worthy but drat his face was great.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Louisgod posted:

lol “ethically sourced Shardplate” is an excellent phrase.

We haven't heard anything about "dead" Shardplate making Radiants hear screaming, have we? My impression has always been that the spren that make 'plate don't have enough sentience to be suffering from physicality, and are basically just chilling.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 24, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TGG posted:

I still love when I asked Brandon about Dalinar's colors as a magic deck after Oathbringer and he said "Dalinar is White, oh wait, not like that."

Not thread title worthy but drat his face was great.

I've met Brandon a few times and he always is such a nice person, I've also had a friend drag me to meet Jim Butcher twice that guy gave off the biggest creep vibes I've ever felt.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

socialsecurity posted:

I've met Brandon a few times and he always is such a nice person, I've also had a friend drag me to meet Jim Butcher twice that guy gave off the biggest creep vibes I've ever felt.

He is definitely one of the top 5 nicest famous people I've ever met. Violent J from the Insane Clown Posse is the nicest but damned if Brandon isn't such a kind guy. One of his sons just stood near the line talking about how much he loved his dad and it was the cutest thing ever.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Fezz posted:

Can anyone summarize these?

Dragonsteel con 2024 will be December 5-7, 2024, and Stormlight 5 will be released on the last day.

They are building a huge bookstore slash headquarters, possibly as the anchor to a sort of outdoor mall community thingy.

Brandon's keynote speech is about liminal spaces, both physical but especially mentally places in between projects, etc.

There was some Q&A, nothing groundbreaking revealed there.

The last 30 minutes is a reading of a never before seen interlude chapter from Stormlight 5.

Jorenko fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 24, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Working through Elantris and while I'm liking it, there's a lot of similarities to Warbreaker. While I know Elantris came first, it's got a lot in common.

1: Wife is seperated from husband immediately
2: Wife is an outsider from another kingdom used for an alliance
3: Wife is actually politically adept and starts to play the court games soon thereafter.
4: Husband is (probably) being manipulated by the powers-that-be to keep him from exercising any power as he's a threat to the current holders.
5: Outside 3rd party that's of a different religion trying to bring everything down
6: Rulers are/were considered gods and lived in a city-on-the-hill separate from the regular folks.

Unfortunately, Elantris doesn't have Lightsong, so it's already inferior.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
You make some good points, sule. Don't you think you're being a bit harsh on Elantris though? There's only one Lightsong and so many worlds out there, kolo?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Elantris is a flawed book but pretty fun, I'm excited for the sequels in a few years

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think every Sanderson book I've read so far has had "rulers as gods" as a major plot point.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Elantris was like half a good book and weirdly you could straight cut out the other half and not really miss much plot wise.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

socialsecurity posted:

Elantris was like half a good book and weirdly you could straight cut out the other half and not really miss much plot wise.

My favorite parts are the multiple massive wastes of time that amount to nothing.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
At least we got Hrathen and Emperor's Soul

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think every Sanderson book I've read so far has had "rulers as gods" as a major plot point.

Huh. Okay, we covered Elantris and Warbreaker. The Lord Ruler certainly had the divinity aspect. And the Heralds are worshipped as gods in parts of Roshar, plus (Rhythm of War spoilers)Odium directly ruling the Fused. The theme is absent in Shadows for Silence, Sixth of the Dusk, and White Sand (I think). But those are very much minor works.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
His YA books outside the cosmere don’t follow that pattern. It’s also makes a lot of sense when you think about the cosmere, random people killed god and took a chunk of the power.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
lol the thread title, so good.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Louisgod posted:

lol the thread title, so good.

Yeah I'm very pleased :allears:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
This is why you use the Report button rather than just wait for a Mod to maybe skim the thread one day :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

Huh. Okay, we covered Elantris and Warbreaker. The Lord Ruler certainly had the divinity aspect. And the Heralds are worshipped as gods in parts of Roshar, plus (Rhythm of War spoilers)Odium directly ruling the Fused. The theme is absent in Shadows for Silence, Sixth of the Dusk, and White Sand (I think). But those are very much minor works.
Sanderson is very religious and it’s given him a tremendous interest in interrogating both the nature of deity (you could read the entire Cosmere as a treatise on why omnipotence and near-omniscience is not sufficient to be worthy of being God) and also the nature of religion. I think it’s to his credit, honestly. Dude wants to put everything he believes under a microscope and see if it’s worth keeping.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.
Finished Defiant today. I think it wrapped up the Skyward series nicely. I think the solution to the delvers being to just show them that someone cares about them and they can love again was pretty obvious, but having the slugs be the ones doing it was a nice touch. I like the new status quo and I'm actually looking forward to Skyward Legacy more than I was before this book.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

M_Gargantua posted:

This is why you use the Report button rather than just wait for a Mod to maybe skim the thread one day :colbert:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Elantris ch 23:
I think I've figured out why the city fell. The city was itself a big Aon spell and the earthquake broke a portion of the letter that makes it up and disrupted it.
Reasons why:
1: The city wall is said to face the wrong way, making it completely useless for defense but could spell out an Aon letter
2: Raoden mentions they are building New Elantris around an interior wall in the city which no one could fathom a reason for it to exist. Earlier Raoden mentions that small circles surrounding an Aon can be used to adjust its raw power to something useful.
3: Raoden notices that the Seons seem to be broken because part of the Aons that make them up are missing, which would be an analogy to a part of Elantris's wall being broken
4: Raoden notes that the wall in New Elantris was probably infused with power and that is why it was crumbling.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Oathbringer Chapters 114-122 & Epilogue (Part 5)
Finished the book! :toot: And holy poo poo this one was easily the best of the three big SA books so far. It never felt slow, the only thing that held it back was a few of the Dalinar flashbacks that spun wheels because there were really only two important things to show there. Evi's death and Dalinar's chat with the Nightwatcher and Cultivation.

I was also a little bit confused about getting the Eila Stele as the epigraphs in Part 5, especially since it didn't seem to give us any more than we'd already seen. I suppose I know what Dalinar will write in Oathbringer though, since I got to see that story in his flashbacks.

Everything else though, absolutely stellar. There were certainly some things I got wrong. I was sure Kaladin would say the Fourth Ideal but he's still holding back. For a minute I thought Szeth and Nale were going to fight it out, but Nale just stood back and let the battle unfold without his help. I thought Amaram or maybe the Cognitive Shadow of Sadeas would be Odium's shadow, but it was Dalinar himself. I thought Ashyn was Damnation but it was Braize instead. Does that make Ashyn the Tranquiline Halls? And the Dawnshards that destroyed the Hall's are why Ashyn is the hellscape it is now?

I had a lot of thoughts about Dalinar's journey from Blackthorn to Blackthorn and terrible husband to terribly drunk father to suddenly a man that everyone held as the most honorable Brightlord. He reached the proverbial and literal bottom of the bottle, so he turned to a basically pagan belief that his late wife had suggested to him. I don't think he'd have ever gotten to where he is now without Cultivation's pruning, but he still had to want to go to the Nightwatcher for that help.

I'm also extremely interested to find out what made the difference between Cultivation thinking she was making a weapon for Odium and Renarin thinking Dalinar would fall, and then Dalinar being able to say "no" when the time came. Why did Cultivation and Renarin's "Truthwatching" think Dalinar would fall? Renarin's spren was corrupted by Odium or Sja-anat (who I love as an Unmade not wanting to be with Odium, really fun), maybe that corrupted his vision? I am pretty confused about how Renarin and Glys seem "good" despite Glys' corruption.

Speaking of Sja-anat, how do the Ghostbloods know she wants to split from Odium? Mraize and Iyatil are Worldhoppers so maybe they have contact with spren or people in Shadesmar?

As I said before, I really thought Kaladin was going to say the Fourth Ideal. Teft has actually caught up to him now! I'm guessing the Fourth Ideal will have something to do with either accepting he cannot save everyone, or that sometimes he needs to be saved, he seems right on the edge of embracing both of those concepts. I figured he'd have gotten there in his fight against Amaram who was literally turning into Hulk's nemesis Abomination. I also definitely have feelings about Rock killing Amaram for Kaladin. Like I said, sometimes Kaladin needs saving from others. There's also something I can't quite get in Kaladin's questioning of Rock having the strength to draw the Shardbow. Surely he hasn't achieved the Fourth Ideal and had his own Shardplate, but him just being that strong seems a bit mundane of an answer.

Shallan did seem to level up in a sense, she was doing so much more with her Illumination than ever before. I'd like to think we'd have seen it if she said another Truth that got her to the equivalent of the Fourth Ideal, so maybe it was just being in the presence of so much Stormlight, and Dalinar himself who obviously can influence other's abilities. She definitely had some lines about which version of herself was real or not real, but it didn't feel obvious or final enough for me to be sure. I do think her next Truth will be about "I'm this one" or "I'm all of them". Maybe her new level of ability was tied into her figuring out the trick of making a Cognitive Realm version of objects like how Kelsier did in Secret History. The Realms were basically on top of each other during the battle.

Adolin really tried his loving best against the Fused in Shadesmar and then the Thunderclast in the battle, but he's just not on the level of the dangers now. If he had become king of Alethkar I'd understand, he'd be able to help that way. Since he didn't though, and since he learned Maya's name and was able to summon her without waiting the full ten heartbeats, I'm doubling down on him helping her heal enough that they can form the Nahel bond making him a Radiant. Maya seems to be a vinespren so I look forward to Lift showing him how to be an Edgedancer. He even fits the first description of Edgedancers we got in the Words of Radiance epigraphs nearly as much as Lift doesn't fit them.

Words of Radiance posted:

...their graceful, limber movements hid a deadliness that was, by this time, quite renowned; also, they were the most articulate and refined of the Radiants.

It does seem like my Shaladlin throuple shipping took a bit of a blow at the end of this book, but there is clearly still something there. Would Brandon write it in just to have it end like this? Maybe, I don't know.

And while it would have been cool for Adolin to become king, I gotta say hell yeah Queen Jasnah. The Ardents must be loving a female Radiant heretic on the throne. So gently caress 'um. I do wonder where the Gavinor plotline is going since he's a toddler. I'm so glad Drehy and Skar got him and Shallan's crew out, Dru doesn't have to be sad! But really, she earned that crown, she was probably the most effective Radiant at killing Fused. The weird in-between Realms sight she had, and the ability to just Transform them into dust, she's a powerhouse. Characters who can manipulate matter are always so OP.

I loved Lift and Szeth buddy Radianting it up to get back the King's Drop. I would read many stories about their adventures together. Then Dalinar basically used the King's Drop as a pokeball to catch Nergaoul/The Trill. I wonder if this could be used to power or jump-start Urithiru?

Venli is a bootleg Radiant?? Timbre captured the voidspren? What the gently caress. If we count Taln for the Stonewards, the Willshapers of Kalak were the only Order not represented in this book (though Malata was absent in the battle) so im guessing that Venli will be that Willshaper? It also maybe sorta makes sense, given that the Fused are using Venli to shape the will of the Parshendi. I need more of her.

gently caress Taravangian and gently caress Dalinar still trusting him. What the gently caress. And gently caress Moash but lmao that he got to kill Jezrien. I hope the sapphire in that dagger meant it only was able to kill Jezrien specifically.

Hoid is now going to be a Lightweaver, and is also confirmed to be an Awakener if he wasn't already. I wonder how quickly he'll get through his Truths. It's interesting that he's only now a Lightweaver since he was doing something to Shallan's Illusions earlier in this book. After failing to be an Elantrian, has he just picked up every other kind of magic?

Felt came across as obviously a worldhopper, from the Shin-like description to the "I'm more of a foreigner than you" *wink nudge*, so I found him in Mistborn. He's just some spy for Straff and then Elend? He's the one who found the hideout when Elend was looking into "Valette's" identity. Alright I guess.

As I said, I loving loved this book, I'm definitely ready for more even if the feeling I've gotten is that this was the peak of SA so far.

Progress so far:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Oathbringer straight up loving owns so much and it’s always, always exciting when you know somebody who reads it. The reactions are always “good god this is stellar”. Congrats!

A friend and I have been trying to get our close friend group to start Mistborn and one finally relented and is almost done with Well of Ascension and is LOVING the series so far. We finally bullied another to start Mistborn, which he finally started only a couple days ago, and is already ~20% through. My other good friend, who got me into Sanderson, and I are pushing our close group to eventually get them to Stormlight so we can all be prepped for the tabletop RPG coming.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Congrats pik_d!

Oathbringer is an amazing book, no doubt about it.

Full book spoilers: Imho, one thing that makes the Dalinar flashbacks so great is that they radically recontextualize the attitudes of all the other characters towards Dalinar in the first two books. Especially in The Way of Kings. We are in Dalinar's head from the start, if much less than we are in Kaladin's or Shallan's head. But we know he's a reasonable person, in fact much more reasonable and moral than most of the other powerful Alethi. He's not a combat obsessed warmonger, what are all those unethical people spouting off about Dalinar going mad? But in truth, his character changed drastically, from being the archetypical Alethi to becoming someone very un-Alethi. Not lusting for the Thrill? Talking about peace? It makes sense why others concluded that Dalinar was going insane.

We had that discussion a while back, but ethically, Dalinar was obviously a monster before his "pruning". But Brandon very obviously wrote him in a way that inclines the readers to forgive him. He's introduced as one of the few reasonable characters in a culture that's in many parts morally abhorrent. From his first PoV chapter, we know he's a "good guy", albeit one with a stained path. We know he's changed/reformed, because we start with the finished version of his character. And we only learn of his past cruelties and atrocities bit by bit. And even then, he has his moment, like when he didn't kill the child. Which the narrative is a pains to emphasize.

I don't actually think Cultivation thought Dalinar would fall. She says what she's doing is dangerous, that's she might be providing Odium with a weapon. But I think Dalinar regaining his memories was very much Cultivation's plan from the start, betting that this would be enough to prevent Dalinar falling to Odium. And she was right. If Dalinar got all his memories back in his confrontation with Odium, he wouldn't have been able to resist. But getting his memories back bit by bit allowed him to come to terms with them.

There's also the "vision" with Nohadon, which is a big mystery, but certainly had some impact.

Oathbringer was a lot of fun, with plenty of crazy revelations, gripping action, and sensible plots.

Rhythm of War is also quite good imho, but has some weaknesses. I think people who were very bothered by the Wheel of Time slog are more bothered by RoW's weaknesses than those who didn't mind the slog so much. Iirc, you're among the latter, so have fun reading RoW :)

But first there's Dawnshard, which is quite good, and a quick read. And a very necessary less heavy fare than Oathbringer.

I appreciate your write-ups, as always. Thanks for those, pik_d!

And now that you have finished Oathbringer, you can take the official Knight Radiant quiz!

https://www.brandonsanderson.com/official-knights-radiant-order-quiz/

It was released after Oathbringer, so it's safe to read it now. It has some minor info that hasn't been revealed in the books so far, but Sanderson obviously wanted us to have it at this point.

You should also definitely visit Steve Argyle's great page with Cosmere (but mostly SA) artwork:

https://www.steveargyle.com/cosmere

The images are save to look at after Oathbringer, being released before RoW and Dawnshard. Though the Bondsmith image did spark some intense theorycrafting.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

pik_d posted:

If we count Taln for the Stonewards, the Willshapers of Kalak were the only Order not represented in this book (though Malata was absent in the battle) so im guessing that Venli will be that Willshaper?

Double check your count on who was present at the big moment, not just the whole book :ssh:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Torrannor posted:

Congrats pik_d!

I got Truthwatcher at 77% as my Order. I laughed at a few things because most people who read the Cosmere will pick a library over a dojo, for example.

Steve Argyle's art is cool, are all of those supposed to be specific individuals?

M_Gargantua posted:

Double check your count on who was present at the big moment, not just the whole book :ssh:

This is what I've got for that final battle, obviously not including the Fused.

Windrunners - Kaladin, later Teft and Bridge Four
Skybreakers - Szeth, Naln
Releasers - Absent from Thaylen City, Malata was in Kharbranth/Urithiru helping the singers take over the Urithiru gates
Edgedancers - Lift
Truthwatchers - Renearin
Lightweavers - Shallan, Ash
Elsecallers - Jasnah
Willshapers - ?? Potentially Venli ??
Stonewards - Taln, not that he really did anything
Bondsmiths - Dalinar

Dalinar's count as they're all coming together is the following:
1) Dalinar
2) Kaladin
3) Shallan
4) Jasnah
5) Renarin
6) Szeth
7) Lift
8) Taln
9) Ash

He does mention Adolin, but Dalinar doesn't include him in the nine (unless he is, and isn't counting himself? Champion with nine shadows and all that), and the Stormfather doesn't correct him and even says "Perhaps they haven't been found yet" even though they're aware of Malata. And technically Dalinar's count is messed up because Ash is the Herald of Shallan's Order. And neither Taln nor Ash are actually Radiants like Naln is.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

I got Truthwatcher at 77% as my Order. I laughed at a few things because most people who read the Cosmere will pick a library over a dojo, for example.

Steve Argyle's art is cool, are all of those supposed to be specific individuals?

Fandom is speculating that each image is supposed to show one generic knight, and one specific member of their order. You can easily recognize Dalinar, Kaladin, Jasnah and Renarin. Then Shallan and Hoid for Lightweavers, a parshendi Willshaper, two Skybreakers who we may or may not know, and some anonymous Edgedancers, Stonewards and Dustbringers.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I read the Frugal Wizards Handbook - are the other kickstarter books also worth reading? I thought it lagged a bit in the middle but overall I really enjoyed it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Sunlit Man was pretty solid. An unexpected tie in (for me).

Tress was... Fine? I was kind of annoyed by it at times, tbh. The way it was told just didn't work for me.

I haven't read Yumi yet.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

abigserve posted:

I read the Frugal Wizards Handbook - are the other kickstarter books also worth reading? I thought it lagged a bit in the middle but overall I really enjoyed it.

I liked Frugal Wizard but it was clearly the worst of the secret projects. The other three were excellent in my opinion

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Frugal is the worst by a long shot.

Tress has a very specific whimsical tone that puts a subset of readers off, but if you like romantic, humorous fantasy like Stardust or Princess Bride you should be fine. It’s not as good as either, but it’s in that genre.

Yumi and Sunlit Man are both contenders for Sanderson top 5, imo. I couldn’t put Yumi down.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
Sunlit man > yumi > tress > wizard

This is my preference order. Tress is still good just that the other two are a step above.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Frugal Wizard is the weakest. Sunlit man reads like an average Sanderson book. I think Yumi is Sanderson trying some new things. I don’t think he writes that story a decade ago. I have lots that I like about Tress and a few things that I don’t mainly the ending.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Tress Talk.

I was surprised at how um... Cosmere-forward? It was for such a light tale. It actually felt like too much for the story.

As for the narration - I didn't always enjoy it mostly because I just don't think Sanderson is as good at comedy as he thinks he is. So, a lot of it landed more lolrandom than funny, to me. Still, I didn't generally mind the whole narrator-as-character bit. That felt interesting and experimental, even if I didn't always love the execution.

I enjoyed it overall, don't get me wrong, but I hope it's an experiment, not a model for future books.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Torrannor posted:

Full book spoilers:
I don't actually think Cultivation thought Dalinar would fall. She says what she's doing is dangerous, that's she might be providing Odium with a weapon. But I think Dalinar regaining his memories was very much Cultivation's plan from the start, betting that this would be enough to prevent Dalinar falling to Odium. And she was right. If Dalinar got all his memories back in his confrontation with Odium, he wouldn't have been able to resist. But getting his memories back bit by bit allowed him to come to terms with them.

Yeah, this is a correct reading. Cultivation was playing a long game with Dalinar to deny him to Odium. Full Cosmere spoilers now, one thing that's pretty guessable if not outright stated and one thing that's a massive RoW spoiler: We know that's her modus operandi, too. She plays long games, which fits her shard -- she plants a seed and waits for it to grow. The real question is, what's her endgame? She meets with all three character's she's known to have met with within a period of weeks, practically one right after the other, and each one's been a ridiculous bank shot. She pruned Dalinar to deny him to Odium, set up Taravangian as Odium's perfect host for when Rayse bites it, and Lift... what is Lift for? And did her Taravangian play misfire on her? He's much more dangerous than Rayse.

M_Gargantua posted:

He's right, though?

abigserve posted:

Frugal is the worst of the kickstarter books.

Tress > Sunlit > Yumi > Frugal imo, and that's not meant as a slight on any of them, but especially not Yumi or Sunlit. I just thought Tress was charming as hell.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

stramit posted:

Sunlit man > yumi > tress > wizard

This is my preference order. Tress is still good just that the other two are a step above.

This is correct, might put Sunlit and Yumi tied. Sunlit was a good generic cosmere book, Yumi did feel like him trying to branch out more and it worked well.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

pik_d posted:

This is what I've got for that final battle, obviously not including the Fused.

Windrunners - Kaladin, later Teft and Bridge Four
Skybreakers - Szeth, Naln
Releasers - Absent from Thaylen City, Malata was in Kharbranth/Urithiru helping the singers take over the Urithiru gates
Edgedancers - Lift
Truthwatchers - Renearin
Lightweavers - Shallan, Ash
Elsecallers - Jasnah
Willshapers - ?? Potentially Venli ??
Stonewards - Taln, not that he really did anything
Bondsmiths - Dalinar

Dalinar's count as they're all coming together is the following:
1) Dalinar
2) Kaladin
3) Shallan
4) Jasnah
5) Renarin
6) Szeth
7) Lift
8) Taln
9) Ash

He does mention Adolin, but Dalinar doesn't include him in the nine (unless he is, and isn't counting himself? Champion with nine shadows and all that), and the Stormfather doesn't correct him and even says "Perhaps they haven't been found yet" even though they're aware of Malata. And technically Dalinar's count is messed up because Ash is the Herald of Shallan's Order. And neither Taln nor Ash are actually Radiants like Naln is.

My theory is that Ash is or will become a dustbringer, and Taln a stoneward. Apologies if this wasn't explicitly stated in Oathbringer (i forget if its in OB or not), but the Heralds were not members of their associated radiant orders. The orders were shaped around the way that the surges had been divided for the heralds and their honorblades. Nale eventually bonded a spren and joined his order, but we don't know for sure about any of the others. Ash has presumably spent a lot of time destroying and defacing images and icons of herself, which fits with the dustbringer's vibe. I mean, she also disguises herself but not very well, and also its not the focus of her insanity.

I would discount Adolin, because I suspect his sword was of an order than is already represented. Go back and re-read the description of Maya in shadesmar and her variety of spren becomes clear.

Of course it could have just been an error on Dalinar's part! He had a lot going on just then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The more I catch up to the rest of the Cosmere, the more Sunlit Man moves toward the front of the line for me. I just can't get over how much it felt like it was just chapter after chapter of spoilers (even though it really isn't?) and that really put a damper on how I enjoyed it.

Yumi is the big star for me, Tress just so slightly less because of too much Hoid and it interrupted the solid Princess Bride vibe, and Wizard's kinda felt like it was trying too hard to be Hitchhikers Guide without landing the absurdist humor.