Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He has a similar character that's a def jam comedy French comedian. He uses some culturally nonsensical French metaphor and then stares at the camera and says "Incroyable! In croy ah blay!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I always have a soft spot for stupid punchlines like Kenan's chocolate chef from his stint on The Amanda Show, where the whole joke is that he makes items out of chocolate that have no logical reason to exist, and the punchline is always something like
"Yeah, but how is a chocolate shower supposed to get you clean?"
"I HAVE NO IDEA :v:!"

I just love his constant refrain that he both doesn't know or care how to make something useful, he's just making stuff out of chocolate for shits and giggles.

The chocolate chef? I"m pretty sure that was a recurring sketch in All That

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
From my recollection All That mostly holds up(aside from a bit of seasonal rot towards the end when all of the classic cast members had left and all that was left were new people who hadn't found their comedic groove yet) but The Amanda Show not so much, fell a bit too much into the same trap MAD TV did in that same time period of thinking "people being loud obnoxious weird assholes" was the peak of comedy and not having anything else to mix it up or add depth so the show was often more infuriating than funny

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Amanda Show's main legacy is coming up with the single best way to end a recurring sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTsdvAdsFR4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The end of Season 3 of Once Upon a Time really shows how far Regina's come as a person - she's mad at Emma again, which is fair, she screwed up badly enough to inadventently ruin her true love by bringing his ex back from the past, but while she's mad she's not being vengeful, with her warning basically being "Let's hope that that's the ONLY thing you hosed up, you absolute moron..."

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The thing that ruined All That for me was the sketch where a guy needed something for show and tell, and so he took out another guy's spleen, and he was just slowly presenting it while the other guy slowly died.

Which is psychologically gross and depressing even if Nickelodeon has done grosser. There wasn't even a blood effect, I think they just used green jello.

Larryb posted:

Live action ATLA trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=waJKJW_XU90

It’s a step up from the movie at least

Things I liked:
  • The music, that was some nice twangy stuff in between the epic main theme
  • Iroh's beard
  • The backgrounds look alright, they're going to be doing exotic locales.
What I don't like, aside from the redundancy of remaking the series apparently verbatim, is that I don't like the ethos modern live action cinematography takes to lighting and color. I know that the original Avatar gives the perfect excuse to only have one color in every shot and even tended to be fairly muted color-wise compared to its contemporaries, but modern cinetamography goes a lot further, it's so washed-out, I'm not sure characters of separate nations can really coexist on the screen at the same screen. It's so dark.

I guess the real make or break is the martial art choreography, or I think more importantly, the framing of the martial art choreography, because lots of shows and movies can do the fancy dances with varying level of success, but it takes real artistic weight to give fights drama and weight.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think so far my favourite idea in Once Upon a Time is season 4's spell of shattered sight. It had a cool visual effect to go along with the name.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What was the name of that upcoming cartoon about the girl group band, again? I was looking for details on it but I can't remember what it was called.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently a little teaser for Hilda Season 3 released a few days ago (reminder that the show returns for the last time next month):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dsYhnDU438M

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Is it me, or do other people think that Hamster and Gretel is missing something or falling short of the rest of the...Doofenverse? Tri-State Area Milieu?

Maybe it just seems like it's aiming for a much younger audience.

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

only one half of the team is working on this one, Jeff "Swampy" Marsch went on to work on other projects ( and new Phineas and Ferb)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Goodburger 2 was good. My only complaint is they used "I'm a dude, she's a dude, he's a dude, cause we're all dudes" way too often. But otherwise it was delightfully stupid and entertaining.

Proof positive the Abbot and Costello / Martin and Lewis formula still works. There should be more dumb buddy comedies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Apparently Max is taking away the Looney Tunes catalogue next year. Imagine having such contempt for your audience.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Apparently Max is taking away the Looney Tunes catalogue next year. Imagine having such contempt for your audience.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

It really is amazing how this person continually makes bad decisions. Like, he legit had to walk back a movie cancellation because he almost lost the flagship director of his entire planned reboot of the DC Universe because he couldn't be arsed to check that the film he was going to cancel was the passion project they green lit to get him. And then got a congressman to (admitably, nothing will come of this) point out his abuse of tax credits should result in an IRS investigation. It is an amazing level of terrible CEO. I thought people hated that Far Right Disney CEO who lasted two years, canceled Owl House, and then got ousted for incompetence. But David Zslav is looking to be one of the most hated TV Executives in America.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 28, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Covok posted:

It really is amazing how this person continually makes bad decisions. Like, he legit had to walk back a movie cancellation because he almost lost the flagship director of his entire planned reboot of the DC Universe because he couldn't be arsed to check that the film he was going to cancel was the passion project they green lit to get him. And then got a congressman to (admitably, nothing will come of this) point out his abuse of tax credits should result in an IRS investigation. It is an amazing level of terrible CEO. I thought people hated that Far Right Disney CEO who lasted two years, canceled Owl House, and then got ousted for incompetence. But David Zslav is looking to be one of the most hated TV Executives in America.

The CEO you're referring to was also the creator of "The Disney Vault" concept, and also ran the parks into the ground before being put in charge of Disney as Iger's fall guy for the losses that were about the happen.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
WBD/Max says it was a mistake, Looney Tunes are not leaving the platform.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Neeksy posted:

The CEO you're referring to was also the creator of "The Disney Vault" concept, and also ran the parks into the ground before being put in charge of Disney as Iger's fall guy for the losses that were about the happen.

Oh wow. I actually do buy he was put in charge to take the hit for Iger. When Iger came back, a lot of people reached that conclusion. I wasn't expecting that Bob Chapek was also the fool who decided that hiding movies from people to drum up sales was anything other than evil.

It could have been an actual glitch, but it's always hard to believe that. When you do something and it pisses a lot of people off and it follows a track record, it's hard to see otherwise.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

Oh wow. I actually do buy he was put in charge to take the hit for Iger. When Iger came back, a lot of people reached that conclusion. I wasn't expecting that Bob Chapek was also the fool who decided that hiding movies from people to drum up sales was anything other than evil.

It could have been an actual glitch, but it's always hard to believe that. When you do something and it pisses a lot of people off and it follows a track record, it's hard to see otherwise.

I don't know, I actually kinda buy that it was a mistake, because WBD has barely if ever actually backtracked on any of their numerous other stupid moves after they pissed people off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

I don't know, I actually kinda buy that it was a mistake, because WBD has barely if ever actually backtracked on any of their numerous other stupid moves after they pissed people off.

This is a valid point. They've made much dumber mistakes they've refused to reverse course on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hilda Season 3 trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mPqGwCl63GE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

Might be connected to un-writing off the Wile E Coyote movie, I think they might have full on intended to dumpster Looney Tunes entirely but got rattled by realising people actually do remember and care about them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Might be connected to un-writing off the Wile E Coyote movie, I think they might have full on intended to dumpster Looney Tunes entirely but got rattled by realising people actually do remember and care about them.

Yeah, this is my read as well.

It's funny that they thought they could gently caress with classic kid's cartoons and not raise hackles. They're basically loving with people's childhoods.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Funny thing is when I had heard that Looney Tunes was going to be leaving MAX I figured that was just because WBD was going to license them out to one of the other services like how Tubi had a bunch of their cartoons last I checked, so was actually surprised that it was just a "goof" on their part

Also since it's December and Christmas Season that means watching Christmas Specials & Movies, and I'm starting things off with one of my personal favorites the 1985 Rankin Bass adaptation of The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus, and yup still really good, a little tired of the VHS quality rip I've been using for the last couple years to watch it though so I finally ordered a copy of that Bluray set they did of all the Rankin Bass Christmas Specials, will be nice to see the modeling work in a halfway decent resolution for the first time in over a decade(Lord knows the last time anyone bothered airing this one on TV)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't forget that Christmas Classic, Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Covok posted:

yeah but my stock numbers are good this quarter/month/week/ this microsecond, so he's good.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't forget that Christmas Classic, Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer

Great time to share this and reflect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehZlZB3VX_8

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer is incredibly corny/cheesy and somewhat low budget but it has a lot of heart and charm to it and I'd say it has solidly earned it's spot in the roster of classic Christmas Specials

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The third and final season of Hilda is out now, seems good so far

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've been rewatching through Tangled with my mom, and we've finished season 2. It kinda hurts to end right before the real banger of a song Crossing the Line, but With You By My Side is also real nice, and there's something soulfully bleak about Everything I Ever Thought I Knew.

I guess there was a bit more foreshadowing of Cassandra than I remembered, but the Waiting in the Wings song kinda gives the wrong impression. The main thing frustrating her throughout the second season isn't really that she is stuck in a subservient position, it's the fact that she based her entire personality around being the best at fighting in her little neck of the woods, and she's just getting her rear end Worf'd all over the place ever since leaving Corona. Big fish from a small pond.

Has there ever been a Behind The Scenes or Making Of featurette or article? I always thought the animation of the Tangled show looked like it had some weird something extra. I've heard vague things about using 3D animation programs to do 2D animation, but I really don't know anything about it. I do think there are a few moments where there's a surprising amount of dimensionality to the art about little things that you'd think wouldn't matter enough to keep track of if it couldn't just be automatically (and not just the obvious 3D-rendered elements like the carriage). I know there's been plenty of looks at the storyboards, but I want to know more about the animation process.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished Hilda, while the season could have used a bit more time to fully flesh out the new plot points they introduced it still works well enough (also the finale is over an hour long which helps a bit)

Granted, I feel like the show could have ended just fine after the movie (which I believe was also the last graphic novel to be released for the series though this is sort of an adaption of the most recent regular novel) but I’m glad the extra season is decent at least

I also kind of like Astrid and the slight redesigns for the main cast

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not finished Hilda s3 yet but I loved the Sparrow Scouts episode

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I do kind of like how they finally explored Hilda’s family outside her mom this season (we basically meet the whole clan this time around including her dad)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Mae Whitman will not be reprising her role as Katara in the animated ATLA movie:

https://knightedgemedia.com/2023/12/jessica-matten-set-to-voice-katara-in-2025-avatar-the-last-airbender-animated-movie/

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I was worried they were getting ditched for celebrities, but this is a really welcome announcement to be honest

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically Mae Whitman was already a case of celebrity casting but I get your meaning. Apparently everyone's been recast except for Dante Basco

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 8, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hilda S3 is great
Hilda is great

Honestly it should go into history on the same shelf as Over the Garden Wall as a timeless piece of children's animation. It's just absolutely incredible beginning to end, and I'm sad that there won't be any more of it

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hilda is indeed quite great. Liked it all thorough.
Still don't get the hype for Over the Garden Wall, though. That show was okay, but didn't have anything standing out and the characters were mediocre.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

Hilda S3 is great
Hilda is great

Honestly it should go into history on the same shelf as Over the Garden Wall as a timeless piece of children's animation. It's just absolutely incredible beginning to end, and I'm sad that there won't be any more of it

How are the Hilda comics/books out of curiosity (I know the cartoon expanded on things a fair bit at least)?

But yeah, while the movie would have also been a good place to end things on I appreciate what they decided to follow it up with all the same and I don’t think there’s a single episode in the entire show that I could really consider “bad” (hell, there’s even a little wiggle room left to continue on from should they ever change their minds)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I was just showing my brother the first few episodes of A Tale Dark and Grimm, and I appreciate that they use the unsettling designs of the sun and moon to great effect when time is passing because the sun and moon's manic grins look like they are leering at the story, giving time passing itself an antagonistic feel. It almost makes the audience scared of time itself, which is a very primal idea.